Assembly of the brushcutter with his hands
Maker for the tiller to cultivate potatoes
The difference in the two units only in their design and names, the essence of the work they perform is the same. to loosen the ground.
Important! toothed models are lighter, so they are better for light soils than disc models.
Works such a nozzle from the engine with a special bar (sold separately). There are slots on the bar and it can have from 7 to 9 slots. That is, you need to know exactly what attachments to buy, because one model may not work for another.
When the cutters and discs are fixed with slits, the cutting bodies will move freely, you can loosen the soil to a width of 20-25 centimeters.
Note! It is more convenient to handle long beds than short ones. In the first case you need to make fewer turns.
When selecting a nozzle, the power of the weed trimmer must be taken into account. If the power of the device does not exceed 1500 W, only loosened soil can be cultivated. For example, it is only possible to mow potatoes.
The disadvantage of this design is that it does not loosen the soil very deeply. You can only process the top layer, and then if it is ploughed recently. On hard soil, such a cultivator attachment will simply “jump”, it will not loosen the soil. And press it tighter to the ground, too, the boom will spring and bend, leading to a breakdown of the grass trimmer.
But still, sometimes it makes sense to buy such a tool. Given its sometimes not a small price, many craftsmen decide to make a cultivator for brushcuts independently.
Different models of ridgers
The share bar is the second most important tool, after the plough and the winch. It can be used first to make furrows for planting, and then to cover them with planting material.
Sliding the hoe down the rows, evenly planted, you can see how quickly the wings sprinkle the soil into the holes with the tubers
There are several models of this tool on sale.
Variant #1. the lister pick-up
This is the simplest type of tool that has a fixed working width. It consists of two wings that are joined together and slightly spread apart and locked in place. Because the wings are fixed, it is not possible to adjust the working width of the tool to the width of the row spacing. So with this tool, the row spacing is adapted to the capabilities of the planter, not vice versa. Traditionally, manufacturers produce products with a working width of 25-30 cm, which is also not the most convenient option, because the technology of growing potatoes provides a width of 50-60 cm between the rows.
Such tools are designed to work with motor cultivators, the capacity of which does not exceed 3.5 liters.с., and the total weight of the machine is 25-30 kg
The design feature of the lister planter is also the presence of thin legs that prevent the machine from overloading when the planter is buried in layers of dense soil.
Some models of the lister rocker arms have a streamlined shape, which is preferable because the soil is less everted and dries out when working with such a tool.
Variant #2. products with variable working width
Such tools are more convenient to work, because they are equipped with an adjustment mechanism that can be used to change the position of the wings. This makes it possible to adjust the tool to different row widths.
Such tool is designed to work with more powerful power tillers with engines starting from 4.0 liters.с. and more, weighing more than 30 kg
A major disadvantage of these designs is their high power consumption. The reason for this is that during operation the tool wings push the soil aside and some of it still crumbles back into the furrow after the tool has been passed. As a result, my back and arms get tired faster, and part of the engine’s power is wasted on useless work. But despite this, they are among the most popular models among most gardeners.
Variant #3. disc models
expensive than their traditional counterparts, the disk-powered planters are much more efficient, too
The main advantages of the disc planters are:
- A successful combination of a power tiller and the tool itself. Using the disc harrow, the power of the power harrow increases when the speed of the power tiller is reduced. That not only boosts cultivation efficiency, but also has a positive effect on the machine’s operation.
- Easy operation. And there’s minimum effort required: the disc coulter pushes itself forward without having to be pushed from behind.
- Versatility of use. Using this tool, mowing can be done both after planting of tubers, and during the active growth of the above-ground part of crops.
Choosing among a variety of assortment, it is desirable to give preference to models made of alloy steel, equipped with roller bearings (not sliding bushings), with a large diameter and thickness of discs.
Option #4. propeller-type ridgers
The principle of operation of the tool is the work of special propellers, under the action of which the soil is first crushed and weeds are combed out, and then the loose soil is dug into the beds
Such riders are designed to equip power tillers and power tillers, which have two forward gears. This is necessary in order to increase power up to 180 rpm in the second gear., the tool can be used not only to loosen, but also to move the soil into the beds from between the rows.
Peculiarities of work with nozzles
Any grass trimmer accessory increases the weight of the complete unit considerably (by at least 5 to 6 kg). That is why not everyone can afford to work with a power tiller for a long time. Mechanical drive power requirements for grass trimmers must also be taken into account. If the engine is rated at no more than 1500 watts, the cultivator can only be used for regularly loosened soil, or limited to dipping pears, potato bushes, etc. п.
Since the drive for gasoline trimmers is located behind the working one, and the drive rod is quite long, there are constant vibrations during cultivation. Their size is determined both by the length of the boom and the varying load on the discs or cutters. The vibrations are transferred to the user’s hands via the shoulder strap, and it is not always easy to control the Grass Trimmer’s power button and hang the high-capacity unit from the handle. That is why long-term cultivation with a cultivator attachment is not safe for your health.
But everything is not so bad: the mobility of the gasoline grass trimmer allows you to easily cultivate the soil between the rows, and the lack of wheels on the mounted cultivator does not damage the plants in the beds.
Nozzle-cultivator “does not like” the caked soil, and at the first introduction in such soil rod abruptly throws. That is why disc cultivators are equipped with a safety guard (toothed cutters are more likely to bend than break, although even in this case it would not hurt to have a low protective shield on the leg side). The safety guard makes it harder to see with the cultivator.
Homemade blade guard
If you make a homemade mower, you will definitely need a protective cover. It prevents your eyes, body, and legs from getting hurt by pebbles and blade fragments if they break.
The cover for the grass trimmer can be made from a sheet of aluminum or thin sheet metal.
First, in the corner of the square made of metal, you need to drill a hole of the desired diameter (depending on the type of drive of your machine) with a drill bit.
Read also: Sharpening core bits in metal
Using this method it is also possible to make and install a protective cover on a trimmer bought in a store, if the cover gets cracked for some reason. Shields in the factory machines are made of plastic and often break if you accidentally bump the grass trimmer head on the ground to lengthen the fishing line.
Making a hedgehog rocker with your own hands
It will be more difficult to make a hedgehog hoe rocker for the power tiller than a disc or lister-type hoe. Therefore, before starting to make it, it is worth more thoroughly preparing by watching several video and photo instructions of various “homemade”.
- First of all from sheet steel thickness of 5-8 mm with the help of angle grinder need to cut 2 circles with a diameter of 27 cm and 2 circles with a diameter of 6 cm, the edge of the level and well sanded.
- Find the center of the big discs, cut out circles of smaller diameter in them (about 15-16 cm) to make the rings. To cut inner circles, you will need a plasma cutter or drilling machine. The edge of the rings and the resulting middle discs should be smoothed and cleaned. Drill a hole about 2cm in the small discs, using a drill and metal drill bit.
- Use a drill and a metal drill bit to drill the holes for fixing the studs. There are about 15 in the rings, 10 in the medium disks and 5 in the small ones. Then use an angle grinder to cut the edges of the discs and rings to the holes. The workpieces should be shaped like pinions.
- The hubs should now be fabricated. Use a steel tube with a 25mm cross section and 4 bearings that fit the inner diameter of the tube. Use an angle grinder to cut two pieces of pipe, grind the edge and inner surface on both sides, insert the bearings.
- Bore the middle discs in the center on a lathe to the diameter of the hubs. The disk should be fitted on the hub tightly, but not removable without additional tools.
- Use a lathe to make the thrust bushings (anthers) that cover the bearings. Two of the bushings should fit the diameter of the axes, and two should fit the bolt at 10.
- Start with the shaft, put the bush on it, then the bearing, the spacer bush and the bearing and the hub. Put a sleeve with a smaller hole on top, and fasten the whole assembly with a bolt. Assemble the second hub in the same way.
- You can start cutting 6 cm long studs. For them take a steel wire diameter of 12 mm, and cut at an angle of 45 ° at one end. You need as many of these blanks as there are notches for them on the discs and the rings of the future scarifier. Grind the chamfered edges of the studs on an emery machine. Weld it to the discs and rings.
- The stage of assembling the “hedgehogs” includes the installation of rings on the hubs (using templates: a sleeve and a washer welded to its inner diameter of the rings), medium and small discs. It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that all spikes “look” with their cutting edge in one direction, in the course of movement. Secure these assembled parts by welding.
- Use 12mm diameter wire to make spacer bars and weld to the barbs, 6 for each rocker. Remove the templates, adjust the discs and re-weld everything. Weld mounting sleeves to the free end of the axles. Paint the structure to prevent rust.
- For the hedgehogs we will use the frame of the disk mower, which should be bracketed with 30 mm rod and homemade bushes with a hole for the bolt with a diameter of 16 mm. Bolt the spikes to the buttstock.
Knowing the principle of making homemade hedgehogs, you can conclude which one is the best to work with, and which one is easier to assemble. The technology is the same, except for the small parts for each type of planter. The setting of the attachment depends on how it is assembled and the type of equipment. Not buying factory-made plows, but making them with your own hands, you can save money.
What kind of power tillers do you use to cultivate potatoes or other vegetable crops??
How to mount the correct breaker bar on a single axle tractor
To ensure that in the process of work, the buttplug does not detach, does not break the single-axle tractor, the attachment on it must be securely secured with bolt fasteners. When mounting an arrow on a single axle tractor, you must fine-tune the angle of attack, the depth of plowing, which should be less than that of the plough.
Before starting work with a power tiller it is necessary to properly attach the rocker head to the tractor, to do this, do the following procedure:
- Set the wheels on the single axle tractor, hitch.
- Use the attachment to link the plow arm on the tiller to the machine. It is important that the bar is upright to help you set the right angle of attack.
- To make the tiller lower than the bearing surface of the tines, lower the nozzle to the ground, just a little bit submerge.
- Make a test dip, see how well the angle of attack is adjusted, the width between the beds. If all is well. let’s get to work.
Makeshift flatbed cutters for power tillers./ Homemade ploskorezy for motoblock.
With the acquisition of a power tiller the user has a desire to use it in all domestic works for dacha, vegetable garden, etc. Some people tend to buy the maximum possible set of attachments for the tiller at once, others buy only a minimum number, gradually acquiring the rest. A third category of owners take on their own handmade devices and extras. Sometimes they are in many ways superior to what the industry has to offer.
Making a disk hoe
The main working elements of this type of agricultural equipment are disks. Their use is much more productive, as the desired accuracy and shape of the bed is achieved. The configuration of the workpiece is such that there is almost no risk of damaging the tubers and stems of the plant.
If there is no possibility to buy industrial made discs, they can be made by yourself. This is done with 2mm thick sheet steel or wide iron pot lids.
The main thing is that all the discs must be completely symmetrical.
If the shape does not match, the discs will come off the row and cut the stalks of the plants.
Make the disk riders in this sequence:
- Work elements are made. Depending on the power of the mini-tractor and the soil type, single or multi-row riders are used. discs are made in pairs. Their edges are bent in different directions. A heavy hammer and anvil are used. In the center of the discs sleeves or heavy-duty rolling bearings are inserted.
- We assemble the frame of the perch. It is better to do it with a welding. It is recommended that vertical and horizontal parts be braced with steel pipe or angle brackets. In order to be able to adjust the angle of grip, screw turnbuckles are attached to the frame.
- The discs are slid onto the axes. Each part must be adjusted and balanced. If a multi-row device is made, holes are drilled in the bracket for fixing the disk modules.
- Check the quality and correctness of the product assembly. After that, it is mounted on the arm of the mini-tractor and tested in the field. If any flaws or shortcomings are found, they are eliminated in the workshop.
After the mechanical work and adjustment is completed, the weeder is given a marketable appearance. It is completely cleaned of dirt, dust and rust. The moving parts are lubricated and the other surfaces are painted with acrylic paint.