auto straightening tool with your own hands
Tools for repairing dents and body defects are diverse. Alignment tools are represented by:
The most optimal variant of straightening hammers are double-sided tools with sides of different shapes. straightening hammers differ from other hammers by weight and materials. You should buy a set of straightening hammers to be able to straighten dents of different sizes and shapes.
Alignment hammers for body repair with their own hands are used in a set with an anvil or with various blocks, designed to soften the blow.
Another tool for auto body repair, which belongs to the straightening tools, is represented by a spoon. It is designed to straighten small flat bumps by distributing the hammer blow over the area. A regular hammer can be used with this tool, but sharp folds must be treated with a straightening hammer before using the spoon.
Bodywork tools called shaped bars are designed to straighten dents in hard-to-reach places. It is a tool with a length of 30 cm to 1 m with a tip in the form of a chisel or puncher. The application principle is similar to the above-mentioned tools.
Anvils, designed for bodywork, are different in shape from conventional. Available in heel, chicken egg and thumb shapes. Different anvils are used for straightening depending on the shape of the dents, so it is desirable to have several variants of these devices for carrying out auto body works with your own hands.
Notching blocks are auxiliary tools for auto bodywork. They are used to determine where force is applied and support the metal when straightening. For this purpose, the devices in question are placed on the back side of the processed fragment of the body. After hitting it, marks are left on the notch block.
Straightening a car’s body
Straightening is necessary to get rid of small, but obvious bends, and stretches of the body metal. The main aim of straightening is to restore the shape of the surface. The curvature inherent in certain elements of the body must be smooth, looking as if the part is stamped at the factory.
The procedure for carrying out the straightening with your own hands:
To diagnose bodywork faults on a vehicle, an inspection is performed first. If possible, use the help of a bodybuilder. You can also find out how straightening is performed from the video at the end of the article.
Causes of vehicle damage
The main prerequisite for restoring metal is its mechanical damage. An extended list of causes is presented below:
- The vehicle has been involved in an accident.
- Collision with objects during the journey at speed. stones, rubble and others.
- Driving on bad road surfaces.
- Revealing defects inherent in the production process.
- Improper operation of the vehicle.
- Effects of corrosion and weathering.
Depending on the cause and extent of damage, repairs are classified into local and major repairs. This partial procedure removes spots of damage to the bodywork resulting from minor accidents and other causes. Overhaul of the car is indispensable for violation of the standard geometry of the body and serious defects.
A separate item that requires vehicle repair is rust damage to the coating. In neglected cases, corrosion weakens the metal and worsens the performance of the machine, endangering all road users.
Spotter. straightening tool
The straightening vise Spotter is a welding machine for spot welding. This tool for straightening cars without painting gives you the opportunity to repair parts that cannot be accessed from the outside. Spot straightening has the following advantages:
- No need to completely disassemble the vehicle.
- High-quality results after repairing.
- Promptness of performance.
- It is possible to repair any mechanical damages of the body.
Spotter is a car straightening tool that can repair defects in doors, fenders, hood, sills, and other body parts. It saves time and money for the repair of the car.
Hydraulic tensioning device
Hydraulic tensioner is used in body repair for extrusion pulling. There are different hydraulic tensile arms, giving different force from 4 tons and more. An example of the application of this device is pulling the body side struts by extrusion from inside the cabin. You can straighten sideways displaced side members. Also, straightening of deformed door openings and windshield and rear window openings. Usually bodybuilders buy a set that includes several types of extensions of different lengths, nozzles, the extension itself and the hydraulic pump, but you can buy each item separately.
How it works?
Aligning the shape of the body with the help of jacks should take place in several stages:
- Dismantling all parts that in any way interfere with the repair and access to damage sites.
- Installing the car body on special supports.
- Installing the hydraulic jack and determining the angle of impact.
- Starting the Extension. During the pulling process, it is always very important to take measurements with a special body ruler and compare the values by reference points on the primary body drawing.
- During pulling, mechanics also “tap” with a hammer on all the distortions and bends in the metal, which helps give the body its primary shape.
- If the parts could not be pulled out to the previous position after the first attempt, the parts are pulled out again by squeezing, and then left in this position for a day in order to get used to the metal. If the damage is very extensive, two or three jacks can pull out the dent at once.
This method may involve the use of a vacuum in cases where the concave portion has retained the integrity of the paint layer, it will avoid the need to do “cosmetics”. It may cost more, but considering how much it costs to paint a car, such an extraction is still cheaper.
Places to install body pulling equipment
It is not excluded and the use of a reverse hammer, but here the painting can not be avoided. The method works like this:
- A hitch hook made of thick wire is welded to the bent area.
- A reverse hammer is hooked to the hook, which will pull the metal back to its original position with a blow.
- When the process is successfully completed, the hitches are cut off and the body is sanded and painted.
Sometimes a hole may be drilled to fit a reverse hammer, into which a nut and washer is threaded. When finished, the hole is either filled with putty or welded over.
Another way to repair the hull is pulling with a gas torch, it is mainly used for dragging elongated metal and smoothing folds. Here you have to work very carefully, keeping the burner at a distance, otherwise there is a risk of burning through the hull.
Note that the exhaust must be completed in time. This means that all work must be completed at the same time as the surface cools down completely, otherwise it may return to the wrong position.
Car alignment bench
The most popular among the devices for eliminating deformations of the car body is a special stand:
- The body is placed on it and secured with screw clamps at four points for a secure fixation. at the points where the car floor connects to the sills.
- Suitable grips are selected according to the location of the damage. Then they are attached to the car, and the correct pulling angle is set.
- Start the hydraulic jacks, which perform the preliminary stretching of the body. After that, control measurements are taken, and if necessary the process is repeated.
- The next step is to straighten the body.
Also deserves attention and the easiest way to repair deformations. disassembly of damaged parts with the use of an amplifier, which will pass a 6-mm drill along the perimeter of the welding seam and separate a part of the body from the body. It is straightened and welded in place.
If the whole body is repaired, you need to prevent the doors from sagging by supporting the front and center stanchions with special trestlebolts in the amount necessary for reliable support.
Necessary tools for straightening a car
Rikhtovka painting cars with their own hands is done fairly quickly and easily, if you first look at the whole process of leveling any dents in any auto repair shop. This will give you a complete idea of how to wield the tool and which way to approach the problem at hand. In addition, you will be able to evaluate the technique used.
As well as any type of auto leveling and painting has a number of nuances and nuances. That’s why when straightening a front or rear fender, or car doors, you need to clearly know and follow the manual, which is designed to perform straightening work.
The following tools should be purchased for straightening on your own:
- Convex round and square mallet straightening hammer
- Straightening hammer flat round and square beats
- Flat round and convex square caliper
- Finishing hammer convex round and point beats
- Flat round and square beats large flat straightening hammer
- Recoiling hammer
- Rubber mallet
- Alignment spoon
- Two-sided straightening
- Straightening tool “whistle”
- Richtovochnaya straightening “heel”
- Press jaw straightener
- Corner straightening
- Spoon for internal straightening
- Universal spoon
- Pulling spoon
- Convex spoon
- Elastic impact spoon
- Impact blades
In order to pull out and then align the hard corners of the surfaces of the parts, you need to stock up on a jack. Aligning a car very often involves the use of a welding machine. It is used for welding cracks. Also, often, a file is used, with the help of which the surface of the body is smoothed. You can’t do without the sanding tool, which includes a rubber disc and sandpaper. The paper is pressed down with a nut.
Spotter for auto straightening
Car body repair, including straightening, can be done by contact welding. As a tool in this case are used spotters. on a deformed surface are welded fasteners, with the help of which the metal is pulled out. If the standard method requires tapping the iron from the inside to align the surface, thanks to contact welding and a special device, the alignment of the metal surface is done from the outside.
There are advantages to using a spotter:
- Use contact welding safer than conventional welding machines, it almost does not fly sparks;
- no dross and slag are formed on the welding spot, the welding machine does not burn through even thin metal;
- The fasteners can be welded several times, so the fixing washers do not melt from welding;
- the use of a spotter increases productivity. the straightening process takes less time.
Spot welding machines are produced by different manufacturers. the equipment can be different in price, the cost depends on several factors:
I Tried an AS SEEN ON TV HAIR TWISTING TOOL on my SHORT TAPERED HAIR | Kendra Kenshay
The most famous companies producing equipment are:
The spotter is especially suited for large body repair shops. The principle of operation of the equipment is as follows:
- the area of the body surface that needs to be smoothed is thoroughly cleaned from the paint coating;
- the area of the body part, where the mass wire of the welding machine will be attached, is also stripped;
- after treatment, the metal is cleaned with compressed air, the mass is set. the contact must be secure;
- then fasteners (washers) are welded to the body surface on the damaged area;
- A washer hook is installed on the back hammer;
For deep and large dents the extraction system is used, in this case:
- special washers with an extension are welded to the repaired surface;
- A rod is inserted into the holes of the washers;
- A pulling system is attached to the body, connected to the bar;
Dents can also be straightened using:
- Needles for spot welding and backhammer;
- welding sprockets to the damaged section;
- Wave-wire welding (for long and narrow spots of the damage).
A resistance welder can also be used for metal deposition. The price of straightening with the spotter is reduced in the workshop environment. the work takes less time, straightening is not as time-consuming.
Vacuum dent pulling
If the bodywork (doors, fender, roof) has a dent, but the paint finish is intact, you can repair the defect with vacuum straightening. Pneumatic or vacuum tools (suction pads) are used to straighten dents; this method is used to straighten dents larger than 15-20 cm in diameter.
The advantage of this method is that after fixing the defect no painting is required. the paint coating is not damaged, and the work is done much faster than with standard straightening. But vacuum removal of dents requires a certain skill, and not every dent can be straightened.