Chamfering router for wood
Let’s take a closer look at the types of devices available. The most popular and demanded type of cutting tools for trimming ends. edge mill with a bearing (upper or lower, rarely both at the same time). With the help of such devices can be processed as a straight edge, and on a pre-made template, which is especially important in the manufacture of several identical wooden parts. According to the geometric shape of the cutting element, such cutters are very diverse and allow you to create both an even edge at right angles to the surface of the wooden workpiece, and the most complex, curvilinear edges.
Cutters for drywall. purpose, types, review of manufacturers
Plasterboard is a construction material that is very popular. With its help it is possible to perform any work: to level a wall or make an interior partition. Often with the help of gypsum board sheets are formed various arches or structures with increased complexity.
In the construction of such structures, there is often a need to minimize the number of joints between the drywall. To avoid the careful fitting of each such joint, its priming, reinforcing and puttying, experts are increasingly resorting. to its milling. In this article, the master plumber will tell you about the types of cutters for working with drywall.
Advantages and disadvantages of milling drywall
Gypsum plasterboard is the most suitable material for creating an original interior of any room. Drywall does not contain harmful substances and chemicals, so it is absolutely safe for health.
Gypsum plasterboard varies in color and size. Its thickness varies: 8, 12.5, 16.5, etc. д., And the color. gray or blue. But there are such types as GKLV (waterproof gypsum board), GKLO (material with increased fire resistance), GKLOV (fireproof gypsum board).
It is not difficult to cut it, but it is much more difficult to cut complex shapes out of this material. The use of the classical method will require a very large amount of time, so as a tool to increase the productivity of such work is used drywall cutter.
Among the undoubted positive characteristics of this method of cutting drywall figures can be called the following:
- Time saving. Using the technological process under consideration reduces labor time when constructing boxes and corners. Everything can be completed considerably quickly. In addition, there is no possibility of spoiling the material, if you follow all the tips.
- Reduced number of uncovered ends. It makes the construction tidier and simplifies the work: no need for spackling or sanding. In addition, you do not need to fix everything except the bends. this significantly reduces costs and allows you to save time.
- The possibility of forming systems without the erection of a frame. If the box or angle ledge will not be a load, then you can not increase the profile of similar components. They are very hard and can withstand many years without distortion.
The disadvantages of this method include the following points:
Chamfering the Edge | ToolsToday
- The financial cost of purchasing a tool and a set of cutters;
- Significant air pollution from gypsum dust;
- It is necessary to know how to select the right nozzle for the specific case.
But the ease with which milling can be carried out, allows you to completely ignore the disadvantages of this method of working with drywall.
For each specific case, special cutters for working with drywall are used. The following types of plasterboard cutters are most commonly used:
As a rule, any highly professional technician, who often needs to use such nozzles for processing drywall sheets, should have such a set of cutters. At home masters for the processing of drywall board will be the main V-shaped cutter.
How to use the V-cutter
Mounting drywall structures, for which the V-shaped cutter is used, can be carried out independently. The possibilities of using cutters of this type allow you to make various products from drywall, the sides of which will be joined at an angle.
The edges of the gypsum plasterboards are perfectly adjusted to one another, which means that no further treatment of such places during the repair work is necessary.
If you want to make a U-shaped box, by making a recess in the material with a V-shaped cutter, you can easily create a shape without a frame. Such a design can be made without completely cutting the drywall. It is enough to cut the material with a mill in the right place, and then bend and glue the cuts to get a shape that will not have joints in the corners.
This nozzle also allows you to perform a variety of shaped cuts, which are difficult to do with a straight disc cutter. The use of the nozzle allows you to reduce the time of work with the material. Such quality is especially evident in the construction of large-scale interior elements from gypsum board sheets.
In order to properly mill the sheets of gypsum plasterboard, you need to know how to handle the tool, as well as buy a high-quality milling machine to perform the work.
The best result gives the V-shaped cutter on a special machine, which is not always advisable to purchase for small volumes. Often rental services are provided by construction trade centers and services, but in home conditions it is quite possible to do without hand tools.
The advantage of the hand-held device is mobility, allowing you to do all the cutting directly on the spot. Visual inspection and adjustment of the angle of inclination. one-handed operation.
To mill drywall and create profile parts from it on the scale of the repair team or yourself will need:
- Gypsum board (it is better if it is water resistant).
- Cutting table.
- Industrial vacuum cleaner with cyclone filter.
- Protective equipment (gloves, respirator).
- masking tape.
- Primer and brush.
- Adhesive: assembly foam; PVA; “Uniflot”; thermo glue, etc. д.
Work on milling and shaping parts can be divided into preparatory and basic.
- For ease of further marking, cut a yardstick from plywood to a width equal to the distance from the center of the cutter to the router‘s stop edge.
- Using clamps, fix a rule or level on the mounting table to use as a support during milling.
- Adjust the router so that the cutter makes a cut to the full thickness of the drywall sheet, but does not touch the bottom layer of drywall. A quarter of a millimeter of gypsum may be left over.
- If you need to perform a large number of identical parts, it also makes sense to saw out of plywood measures for each of the seams.
- Calculate how many seams you need, how far apart they are and where they are located on the sheet.
- Cut off a piece of plasterboard to the required size.
- Using an edge mill, chamfer the edges of the flat joints in advance.
- Mark the routing lines.
- Mark the edge stop lines of the router.
- Place the sheet of plasterboard against the ruler.
- Apply the measure for the cut to the rule.
- Place the edge of the router against the measure, left side up. In free movement, the router moves to the left, so the stop must be exactly on this side.
- Make the first cut across the entire height.
- Make a second cut into the same groove in the opposite direction, for a cleaner cut.
- Cut all grooves on the work side of the sheet.
- If the geometry of the part requires milling the drywall on both sides, carefully turn the sheet over and repeat the work.
- Dust the surface with primer with a semi-dry brush.
- Apply adhesive to the joints of one side.
- Position the workpiece so that the joints are vertical.
- Apply adhesive to the joints of the second side.
- Give the part the desired shape, check the geometry of the corners.
- Fix the construction in this position with masking tape until it is completely dry.
Milling drywall. a very convenient and profitable solution when creating structures from gypsum board. Although this technology requires more expensive equipment, but allows you to perform the work more accurately and faster than conventional methods of work with gypsum board.
If you perform milling without using a vacuum cleaner, it can lead to complete contamination of the room. It is better not to perform processing on wood, because this material is denser than plasterboard, and therefore the edge will be ugly and rough. For quality work is worth using high quality cutters, so take care of it in advance.
If there is a financial opportunity, it is better to buy a complete set of cutters for the work. It allows you to make a specific cut and cut out shapes with different shapes. The availability of a variety of nozzles also makes it possible to process materials at any angle. But it is recommended that novice masters buy cheaper cutters, because it is worth learning to work with the cutter first. Later, you can buy new and more expensive kits.
If you decide to buy drywall cutters, then it is worth doing it in special construction markets. There you can find all sorts of varieties and all price categories.
Among the popular manufacturers of power tools for processing drywall use cutters of the following brands:
- Bosch. this type of product is in high demand, as it has great technical abilities;
- “Enkor”. the equipment of this brand is made of strong high-quality material, contains hard alloy tips, is distinguished by its durability and long service life;
- “Globus”. the brand is known for the production of durable devices designed for machining hard or soft wood.
- Sekira. for the production of devices of this brand uses hard alloys, high-speed steel. this makes it strong, comfortable to work.
The choice of grade depends on the surface of the drywall, the size of the machine or the cost. It must also be suited to the technical process.
ДИ-05.1. 14.32 Baseboard cutter for corner baseboards.
Type: bonded, blade material P6M5. Milling cutter for corner baseboard. Shaft diameter. 32mm or 40mm.
Supply includes: one mill.
When ordering choose from the drop-down menu the required profile according to the drawing and the machine shaft diameter.
Cutting material R6M5 (Dneprosteel) hardness no less than 59 units. Run-out in planes not more than 0,02. Rocks to be machined. pine, oak.
What is a mill and what is it for?
Cutter is a cutting element that is installed in a special device. a mill. With this cutter you can perform various operations, such as chamfering, grooving, recesses, ridges. Such router bits rotate at a very high speed, which eliminates chips and burrs in the wood. Each cutter in the set has a different configuration and is used to perform a specific operation.
Important! It is not a good idea to work with a router without knowledge and experience. Because the rotational speed and power of the device is high, it can escape from the hands, which leads to injury. In addition, the milling cutter should be guided along the workpiece against the direction of rotation of the milling cutter. If you do the opposite, then at best you can spoil the workpiece, and at worst In general, you should use such devices with extreme caution.
Types according to construction
The cutter as a tool (cutter) has the original technical characteristics. The shank and cutters are the main parts of the milling cutter. The highest quality tools are made of solid or all-metal (lump, or bar) steel. The second variant of milling cutters manufacturing. combining certain parts, their diffuse fusion by welding or soldering. Both methods are easily achievable under production conditions. the first shows greater wear resistance, and because of the complexity of chiseling, engraving it is more expensive than the second.
Solid drills can withstand high loads and are unpretentious in continuous operation. Monolith cutters are melted from carbide steel: the Rockwell hardness rating is about 60. Cutting part of a cutter is sharpened after casting by means of other, more solid carbide cutters or on a special sharpening machine.
Composite cutters have a cutting part made of high strength, hard steel that is either brazed or spot-welded onto a “dummy” part. In fact, if noticeably overheated, the solder can fall apart, which is immediately noticeable in an even fracture. A broken cutter can be soldered on its own, using more refractory solder (not to be confused with tin-lead solder) and a special soldering iron, but after some sessions the cutting part will fall off again.
Manual machine requires the use of cutters with the addition of copper-silver inclusions. such a cutter is of higher quality than simple steel, by the hardness of nonferrous metal is much inferior to steel. Easy interchangeability of cutters will be appreciated by craftsmen whose work is put on a wide flow. Quick-assembly milling cutters provide the possibility to install two or more types of cutting parts on one dummy. Such assembly with interchangeable knives is used for more complicated milling operations.
Handheld wood routers
Use of undercutting knives creates favorable working conditions for the main knives, enables their overturning, substantially reduces the load on the equipment and guarantees the quality of woodworking
Option to purchase additional interchangeable blade sets for the cutters
Custom cutters can be made according to client’s drawings or sample products
Maximum rotation speed. 6000 rpm
Hand-operated router bits are designed for planar and profiled workpieces made of wood. They offer a wide range of constructive solutions.
Decorative processing of metal and wood products necessarily involves the use of specialized tools, which achieves the necessary accuracy and quality. Slot cutter, rasp cutter, countersinker, other related products. all of these can be easily found in the catalogs of “Leroy Merlin”!
Features of groove cutter selection
It is necessary to pay attention to the following parameters of the product:
- Diameter. Precisely this parameter determines how wide the groove will be obtained with one pass of the tool.
- Stopper availability. The stop can also determine the depth to which the tool penetrates into the machined surface, and allow you to fix the product on the edge, ensuring proper accuracy of work.
- Shape. Depending on the form of the wood groove mill, you can get a groove of different configuration: straight or in the shape of “V”.
These factors drive tool prices.
Similar rules should be followed when choosing a countersinker, a product that allows you to make holes in wood or metal. The only nuance lies in the fact that the countersinker for metal should be made of specialized steels, strength of which is enough for drilling holes of the correct shape without the risk of breakage. Products designed for wood manipulation may be less durable.
You can also find an edge mill, which is a special accessory for edging products. Edge mill is characterized by a special design that ensures the accuracy of work, the possibility of fixation on the edge, determining the ideal equality of the depth of the groove throughout its length.
In addition to these products in the assortment of “Leroy Merlin” company you can buy burrs, rasp files, focused on the rough processing of wood, as well as complete sets of tools. In order to make a truly correct choice that will not cause problems in operation, please ask our sales consultants for help! You can buy the product both with delivery and self-delivery.
Leroy Merlin offers a wide choice of goods at low for residents of Moscow, as well as cities of Moscow region: Balashikha, Podolsk, Khimki, Korolev, Mytishchi, Lyubertsy, Krasnogorsk, Electrostal, Kolomna, Odintsovo, Domodedovo, Serpukhov, Shchelkovo, Orekhovo-Zuevo, Ramenskoye, Dolgoprudny, Zhukovsky, Pushkino, Reutov, Sergiev Posad, Voskresensk, Lobnya, Klin, Ivanteevka, Dubna, Yegoryevsk, Chekhov, Dmitrov, Vidnoje, Stupino, Pavlovsky Posad, Naro-Fominsk, Fryazino, Lytkarino, Dzerzhinsky and Solnechnogorsk. You can order the necessary items online with delivery to all of these cities or visit one of our retail stores and MO.