Changing lines in the trimmer head
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer
To wind a line for a trimmer on a gasoline or electric trimmer for grass, you do not need to have any special skills. To begin with, it is important to determine the appropriate consumable, and then choose the best way. There are two different ways to thread fishing line into a trimmer reel.
The main element of the trimmer is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. This is where the line for the trimmer (cord) is tucked in. Heads differ from each other in the way they feed and thread the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The filament is fed in after the user has slowed down the engine speed. The automatic cord feeder is very handy when a large amount of work needs to be done. The disadvantage of this head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-Automatic. Using such a head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulation. Its working principle is designed so that the line for the trimmer begins to extend automatically at the time when the grass trimmer works at full speed. You only need to bump the head of the device on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the fishing line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will be put out of the bobbin. Then the line for the trimmer is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you must stop the machine. After that you will need to pull the line for the trimmer by hand.
Cut the line for the trimmer to the right length
In order to replace the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, uncoil and cut the necessary amount of line. The required length depends on the diameter of the particular line for the bobbin and the design features, so refer to the manual.
Insert half the length of line into the slit on the bobbin’s divider. Now wind both parts of the fishing line on the grooves of the spool, leaving 15-20 cm of length. Thread the remaining length of fishing line through the holes and wind it carefully so the coils do not overlap.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass mowing head is a cylindrical body, in which a spool (bobbin) with a thread (cord) is inserted. This design can be mounted on either a gasoline or electric trimmer. Cutter heads differ in the way they are threaded and fed and are available in three types.
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if you do a lot of work, but such bobbins have one disadvantage. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This kind of head does not require any complicated manipulations from the user. Their working principle is designed so that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to the desired length by the knife, located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord it is necessary to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled out manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also, please note that grass trimmer reels can be one-strand (used only for grass trimming) and two strings, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems shrubs.
Doing the filament winding
Unhurriedly completed disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing its parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the line into the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working eyes determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one operating tendril
The simplest variant and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Size of the bobbin and length of the original factory winding determine the recommended line length for winding. 2-5 m.
- One end of line is set in the fixing technological hole inside the bobbin.
- line is wound on the reel in the opposite direction of the bobbin’s rotation on the trimmer’s product. as a rule, on the inner side of the reel there is an arrow indicating in what direction the winding is performed.
- A small section of fishing line is left free for its exit. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is fed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and placed on the trimmer bar.
A reel with two working tendrils
In this type of bobbins, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases, a 2-3 m trimmer line is taken. With single reels, the line for the trimmer reel is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, and then reeled in the opposite direction of the reel rotation on the boom. inside, an arrow usually indicates the correct reeling direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the line are pushed through or held with fingers of free hand, put through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, bobbin is closed and attached to the rod of the trimmer product.
The main difference of winding line on a dual-cable spool is that initially a 2-5 m piece of line is folded in half (to define the middle fold), and a loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both tendrils of the fishing line are wound each on its own groove, fixation of tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the variant with one groove considered above.
Doing this procedure for the first time may seem time consuming and rather time consuming, but with time and experience this task will be much faster and easier.
The video below will visually show you how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience will definitely succeed:
Choosing a fishing line
To make sure you get the right line in the trimmer head, it’s important not to miscalculate your choice of material. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal trimmer line with a diameter of 2 mm is used. To find the right diameter for your mower you can do the following:
- Look for information on line thickness in the instruction manual that came with the trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information on it about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet. If it fits through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Grass trimmer reel
You can choose the cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will overheat a lot and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord will do. If you can’t find one, you can use a 1.6 mm trimmer line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the mowing shaft is important. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4 to 2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a round section. They mow fresh grass well, but do less well with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral-shaped) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star or square grass trimmer lines are the smoother way to mow your lawn, but they’re not very durable.
- The strongest. two-component cord with an inner core and a circular section.
Types of line for grass trimmer
Note that it is not allowed to use wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result of their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly apart with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How the line head works on the brushcutter Why do you need to know the operating principle
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. On a manual type head. The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a spool, which is planted on the slits, preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the reel, which presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for a trimmer is wound on the reel, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually measured in lengths of 1 to 4 meters
- If the length of the line needs to be increased during work, the protruding part of the reel is pressed down, so that it becomes disengaged from the splines. At the same time the line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the desired amount of line, release the hold-down and continue mowing
The advantage of a power-line tool is that it does not require sharpening as compared to a metal blade. If a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool as is the case with metal cutting blades.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, you need to go on to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel. It’s the moment when most power tool owners have a hard time.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Working with such machinery as grass trimmers requires care and attention. Safety precautions at work are mandatory for beginners and experienced masters alike. It can happen that confident mowers let their guard down, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. Therefore, it is important when working with the machine to
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it’s difficult to unwind later.
- After filling up the reel, it’s essential to check that the tool works before mowing.
- Choose quality material that is compatible with your trimmer.
It is not necessary to try to mow the coarse grass with thick stems by means of the fishing line. There are steel disks for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear goggles and appropriate footwear.
Getting ready to change
To make it clear, the mowing head (the bobbin) was removed from the brushcutter. To change a fishing line you don’t have to remove it, it’s done on the spot. It does not take long.
Remove the grass trimmer bobbin. it is held in place by a latch. Remove the cover by pushing on the latches. If you can’t do it by hand, you can use a screwdriver.
The bobbin consists of the following:
How it works is as follows. Pressing the button, the bobbin presses on the spring and comes out of the fixing grooves in the bobbin lid. When held in this condition, you can turn the reel to adjust the line length. When the button is released, the body spring returns the bobbin to its original locked position.
Tips and advice on how to wind a line for your trimmer and what to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced masters of fishing. These tips can help prevent negative consequences in the form of injury or malfunctioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- The cover should be installed until it clicks into place. It may take two or more clicks depending on the number of clips. If one clamp does not snap into place, the reel may jump out when the tool is started and injure a person
- Do not wind the trimmer line tightly or in more quantities than can be inserted into the trimmer. It is better not to uncoil the snap, than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to uncoil it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line outputs, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After changing the material you should first check that the tool functions correctly and then start mowing. If not checked beforehand, the scaffolding may unravel and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the right quality material so you don’t get injured when working with chain saws, trimmers, and brushcutters. During grass mowing small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances. Therefore, despite the fact that a line for a trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials have a shorter service life, which is important to consider while working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.