Device for sharpening circular saws with your own hands
Device for sharpening circular saws with your own hands
Most cutting tools get blunted during use. This also applies in many respects to circular saw blades, which need to be sharpened on a regular basis. That is a guarantee of a really qualitative sawing of wooden products. The easiest way to sharpen dulled teeth is to use a standard file.
But to work with your own hands was fully fruitful, it is necessary to seek help from a true professional. Only he is able to sharpen cutting tools so that they can be expertly used.
Much easier and more effective in such situation to use the machine, made by your own hands, for qualitative sharpening of sharp surfaces of saws, as well as the unit for processing circular knives.
- Self-made saw sharpening machine
- Machine tool JMY8-70. advantages and distinctive features
- The process of sharpening circular saws with their own hands
How to know when it is time to sharpen a circular saw blade
When working with a circular saw, regardless of its purpose, it should be understood. with prolonged use will wear out the cutting edge. This process will occur regardless of what the saw is made of and what tips are available on the teeth.
An indicator that it is time to sharpen the cutting part will be these signs:
- It takes more effort to move the tool during work. a sharpened blade cuts through material like butter, but a blunt blade requires more effort to cut.
- Transverse and longitudinal cuts are uneven, with jagged edges. because the saw needs to be sharpened, the teeth do not cut, but literally tear the fibers. Because of this, even a strong hand is unable to hold the tool straight, and a sinusoidal pattern is produced instead of a straight line.
- The cut of the tree will have a pronounced charred appearance. because the teeth do not cut, but tear the fibers, the device will char the cut.
- Sawdust is fine, more like dust with a hint of rye loaf. a sharp tool has larger sawdust with sharper edges.
- During work, a characteristic smell of a fire appears, as the fibers smoke during charring, and the disc itself heats up strongly.
- Even after a short period of use, you can feel that the motor is getting very hot and it takes a longer time to cool down.
- Visually, it can be seen that the teeth have lost their sharpness and that the set has lost precision, with individual elements having varying degrees of deflection.
Circular saw with different shaped carbide tips
Drawings and tooth geometry
Circular saw blades should be sharpened carefully in accordance with the standards and requirements for the tooth geometry of each individual blade. To correctly sharpen your circular saw yourself you need to know the shape of the tooth and its geometry.
Back slant (beveled) tooth
Oblique (beveled) tooth at the front
How to know when it’s time to sharpen a circular saw
Circular saws should only be sharpened when necessary. There are two distinctive signs that make this point clear. Wood circular saw blades in particular must be sharpened as a matter of urgency:
- If you regularly feel that the saw is getting too hot on the saw blade guard in the area of the electric motor. In some cases, this increase in temperature will produce smoke under the guard.
- Pressing hard on the tool to get a good cut while processing the material.
- If dark spots appear, traces of soot on the wood and a characteristic burning wood smell. This is caused by blunted saw teeth.
The main saw tooth wear occurs on the top edge that is directly involved in cutting. It may be rounded by up to 0.3 mm. Center edge changes sooner than others.
Features of using the machine
No special skills are required for grinding. All you need to do is to be very careful and follow the rules of behavior at the machine:
- Clean the surface of the sharpening wheel regularly and keep an eye on its condition.
- The circular saw blade should be positioned correctly during operation.
- During the procedure it is necessary to monitor heating of the material being sawed.
- If the saw blade is evenly deburred on the edge, the sharpening is finished.
- After processing the blades with the sharpener, they need to be thoroughly polished.
Any circular saw loses its primary characteristics with regular use. Sharpening teeth of circular saw blade helps to restore cutting ability. To sharpen discs fast and well it is necessary to install a special sharpening machine. It has a simple design, but is highly effective.
How to sharpen a circular saw blade with a machine tool
Two methods are used to restore the integrity of circular saw blades. manual and automated. Manual sharpening is not only difficult, but also time-consuming. That’s why it makes sense to buy a sharpening machine for saw blades or make the device yourself.
A simple device for sharpening saw blades is considered a grinder or emery machine, on the shaft of which you need to fix a special wheel. diamond, CBN, as well as silicon carbide sputtering. The complexity of the process is that the sharpening equipment must be fixed in a stationary position, so keep the disk in your hands when sharpening is not recommended. This is not only dangerous, but it also reduces the quality of sharpening.
This is interesting!Before proceeding with the work, the surface of the tool to be sharpened must be cleaned of carbon deposits. You can use kerosene, diesel fuel or industrial cleaners for this. If not cleaned, the performance of the tooling can be restored to 75%-80%. Instructions on how to properly sharpen circular saw blades:
- Each tooth to be sharpened must be perpendicular to the blade
- The principle of sharpening is that to the rotating blade (diamond wheel), it is necessary to bring each tooth of the disk
- The amount of pressure depends on the amount of metal being removed. The more the teeth are worn or worn out, the harder the tool must be pressed against the blade
- Apply the same procedure to each link
To grind circular saw blades, you do not need to buy special equipment. To home sharpening machine you need to attach the stand, which consists of a fixed and movable part, as well as a mount. Grinding at home can be done quickly and easily with this device.
The task becomes more difficult when the correct sharpening angle is required. To modernize and expand the functionality of the installation, you will need to make the movable stand tilt regulator. Bolts with nuts are used as regulators, by means of which it is possible to set the desired angle of inclination of the stand.
The movable base is a square frame with a disc retainer in the center. The holder has the same diameter as the tool to be sharpened. A slot is made in the stand, through which the required sharpening angle is maintained. It is not difficult to sharpen, so if you often work with wood with a circular saw, it is necessary to make a sharpening machine.
This is interesting!To perform work on sharpening in an automated way is much faster and easier, but you will need special equipment. The manual method in this regard does not require any equipment other than a file.
Types of machines
All circular saw sharpening machines are divided into automatic and mechanical according to the method of control (handling).
Automatic machine for sharpening saw blades, which is clear from the name, does not require much effort from the master, it is enough to adjust everything (in particular, set the angle and pitch of the teeth) and turn on. These units can be found in large factories and industrial workshops.
Mechanical sharpening tools have a lower productivity than automatic machines. Here the manual operation, such as turning the saw blade to the next tooth, is required. Mostly mechanical equipment is used in home workshops.
In addition, all sharpening machines can be divided into three groups. The first includes tools where only the saw rotates during sharpening (the sharpening wheel and the electric motor, respectively, are stationary). The second group includes sharpening machines in which both the saw and the sharpening wheel motor are in motion. The third type only has a moving motor with a fixed grinding wheel (the circular saw remains at a standstill).
There is no sharpening machine without at least one of these elements (a motor with a sharpening stone attached to its shaft or a slide for mounting a circular saw).