DIY stained glass cutting. Using glass cutter for cutting glass sheets
Cut the glass at home: glass cutter and simple scissors
Glass products have been very popular at all times: frescoes, stained.glass windows, dishes and many other things created from scraps of this material always amazed people with their grace and smoothness of lines. Looking at this splendor, it seems that in order to create it you need to be a real professional who has vast experience with glass and a lot of necessary tools, and for a simple “mortal” do not master this complex science. In fact, not everything is as sad as it seems at first glance, and everyone can get knowledge of how to cut glass at home.
A lot depends on this stage, and the preparation process itself depends on which glass you decide to use for cutting. New glass, bought specifically for the goal, just wipe it, and it is best to use the old newspaper for this (this will avoid divorce and settlement of small villi). With the former, the material will have to work, spending much more effort. Firstly, it must be thoroughly washed, using special means to wash the glasses. Secondly, degrease with a rag, moistened, for example, in kerosene and, finally, dry in a closed room in order to avoid dusting to the surface.
In addition, the preparation of glass involves its cutting. As you know, you are unlikely to be able to achieve absolutely no.free production when working with glass, especially if you plan to get a product of a not quite correct geometric shape. However, the exact calculation will lead to a reduction in possible waste to a minimum. At this stage, a more rational solution would be to combine the longer side of the glass with the long side of the workpiece. Keep in mind that the resulting scraps should not be thrown away, they can be used in the future to create new products.
What tools to use?
Many of us are used to believe that only glass cutter can only and qualitatively cut glass. But what to do if you need to cut off a piece of glass urgently, and this tool was not found at hand? There is another unusual, but no less effective way that helped our great.grandfathers to get out of this situation. Such a tool is ordinary scissors that are available in any owner. Consider each method in detail.
Glass cutting technology with glass cutter is quite simple. To do this, you must observe certain conditions and choose the right glass cutter. To date, the choice of this tool is wide enough, which allows you to turn work into pleasure.
- Diamond glass cutter, tested by time and remains a leader in his business to this day. For home use, glass cutters with a beveled cutting edge are suitable for home use. Such a tool is designed to cut glass up to ten kilometers and is suitable for any thickness of the material used. From time to time, such glass cutter needs to be sharpened on a special bar.
- Roller. Following the name, the cutting of such a glass cutter is made in the form of a video from a durable cobalt-wolframa alloy. The number of videos can be from one to six.
- Oil. Such a tool works on the principle of roller glass cutter, with the difference that a tank with butter is built into its handle, which is automatically supplied to the video. Suitable to cut thick glass.
About how to choose good glass cutter, see
So, having dealt with the glass cutter, place the glass on a flat surface. Mark the glass and start work. To facilitate the task, you can use a ruler. It is worth considering the moment that the fishing line for the trimmer must be drawn the first time, otherwise the second attempt will lead to cracking the surface. Cut glass with glass cutter, you need to make the same efforts along the entire length of the line on.
Cutting glass with scissors like paper is not a fairy tale, but a completely ordinary reality. For this purpose, you will need the scissors themselves (sewing are best suited for this) and a tank with water (better hot). It is necessary to mark the markings on the glass in advance, and then elementary physics is included in the work: scissors create a microcrack, and the capillary effect completes the process. Of course, the result will differ from the reached glass cutter, but if necessary, this method can significantly help out.
Features of glass cutting
The material is very in demand in the production of windows, photo frames, aquariums and other designs. Before starting work, it is important to carefully study the physical properties of glass. Unlike concrete or plastic, a hard and fragile glass canvas requires a thinner and accurate approach.
The sharp edges of the material require compliance with certain safety regulations. Hands should be completely covered with gloves made of dense fabric. It is recommended to work in clothes with long sleeves and in special goggles that protect the eyes in case of sharply abandoning sharp elements.
An example of neglecting safety measures when cutting glass source Javlad.ru
Since cutting glass is necessary with special accuracy, it is worth taking care of the solid base. Heavy workbenchs with a flat countertop are best suited. To reduce the number of fragments, it is recommended to cover them with a layer of soft tissue, which will also perform an anti.slip function, holding the sheet in place.
Assembly of a quick.cut from prepared parts
When all the elements are prepared, you can collect quickly. The transverse bar is attached to bolts or rivets, the working element is put on the hilt.
This is what an almost ready.made fast.hare looks like
The working element must be fixed in the right position. To do this, a bolt is screwed into it, which will be included in the nut, previously impressed in the segment of the aluminum tire.
The fixing bolt is injected into the tinned nut
The correct choice of glass
The answer to the question of how to cut with glass cutter is not the only thing that may interest future glass carriers. In order not to face possible problems, you need to find out what points they pay attention to when choosing a material.
- A sign of quality products is a greenish or blue hue of the ends.
- Scratched sheets-the reason to refuse to purchase or use such glass for any purpose.
- If the technology (rolling, cooling) was disturbed during production, then stripes with non.contrast boundaries, micronovability, etc. can form on the products. D. It is better not to use such sheets in the role of window glasses: they will distort the image.
There is a direct dependence between the thickness of the glass and the size of the frame into which it will be inserted. If they are less than 600 mm (height, width), then the material will be optimal 2-2.5 mm. When one of the parameters exceeds this value, it is necessary to take thicker glass. from 3.5 to 4 mm.
How to cut glass cutter correctly?
This work has no trifles, so all stages require extreme attention.
What is required to work?
Glass and glass cutter are not the only thing to prepare. Therefore, at first it is better to “announce the entire list”. It includes:
- desktop with a perfectly flat surface;
- line (flat rail), roulette, square;
- sandpaper (file, stone);
- threads, fabric, solvent;
- rubber kiyanka.
Metal line. ideal. It is better to look for a rather thick tool suitable for an obstacle to glass cutter: its minimum thickness is 8 mm. Experts use lines with suction cups. Since there is usually no such tool on the farm, an alternative has long been invented. This is a metal ruler with a glued stripe of thin rubber.
You can’t do without a marker, and the pencil will be able to play the role of a stand needed to break a small glass sheet along the cutting line.
Preparation of the workplace
Due to the fragility of the material, strict requirements are imposed on the working surface.
- It should be absolutely even, because the glass during the cut is serious pressure. If the base is with irregularities, then the probability that the glass will crack in the wrong place is great. The consequence will be the inability to use a glass workpiece, and this promises additional costs and a new job.
- Absolutely clean glass surface. the requirement is mandatory. Therefore, first it is washed with a soap solution (a means for washing glasses), then wiped with newspapers or paper towels. The last stage is a solvent degrease. They can become acetone, kerosene or white-spite.
The best surface will be a piece of plywood or wood.fiber slab. To prevent the formation of scratches, it is recommended to lay some fabric, a large piece of rubber, an oilcloth or a thick film under the glass. Such a reliable “laying” will protect the surface and provide the best clutch.
Any debut requires leisurely, caution and accuracy. This is absolutely fair for dangerous glass.
- First it is marked. For a line, a long metal or wooden ruler, roulette or absolutely flat rail is used. The second instrument needed is a glass marker (felt.tip pen), which leaves the thinnest fishing line for a trimmer.
- Then, at both ends of the drawn line, small cuts-tags are made. A ruler is applied to the glass, the glass cutter is taken and the trimmer fishing line is carried out, applying a slight force. The pressure to the edge of the glass should weaken a little to prevent the chipping of the material and damage to the tool.
- Diamond glass sores are kept in the same way as a pencil or a fountain pen, with a small slope. Roller and oil. perpendicular to the surface. In the first case, a barely noticeable trace should remain on the glass. a colorless thin fishing line for a trimmer, in the second it should turn white, and the work is obliged to be accompanied by a characteristic crackling. A fishing line for a trimmer is carried out only once. The second cut in the same place is prohibited.
- A flat rail or a small block is placed under a piece of cut glass to break the material along the cutting line. Previously, it is tapped on it with a glass cutter on the back to deepen the crack, thereby facilitating the upcoming operation. The prepared glass is carefully broken. As a rule, this does not require excessive efforts.
When it is necessary to break off the thin strip, either use pliers, or glass cutter, on which there are special grooves intended for this purpose.
Features of breaking
At this stage, we must stop, because for each type of workpieces there is its own technology.
- Figures made of thin glass. up to 5 mm. In this case, the material is broken with hands. Gloves are required.
- Processes from a thicker product. more than 5 mm. For “extraction”, the details are recommended to use nippers or pliers, on the lips of which there are tributaries of rubber or plastic.
- Thick material and narrow stripes. In order to simplify the work as much as possible, a thin and long non.metallic object (for example, pencil, matches) is placed under the fishing line for the trimmer of the cut, then they press on the material with the palms on the opposite sides.
Large and thick pieces require a different method. The sheet is laid on the table so that the cutting line for the cutting of the cut is located 30-50 mm from its edge. Half lying on furniture is held with one hand, and the other is sharply pressed on the one that “hangs in the air”. So that the piece does not accidentally fall, it is better to work with an assistant.
Very thick material (more than 10 mm). the cause of another approach. The operation is also carried out on the table, but the risk is done on both sides of the glass. Before proceeding to break down, the fishing line for the cutting trimmer (from beginning to end) is tapped with rubber kiyanka (or glass cutter) until the crack is formed.
The last stage of any operation is thorough cutting line processing. Folder paper, a file (suprafil) with a velvet notch or a sharpener is suitable for her.
DIY glass cutting
Initially, it is necessary to make measurements of the new glass. As a rule, if a new glass is cut out, for example, for inserting in interior doors or a window frame, then it is made a couple of millimeters less on each side than the size of the technological opening for it. After the dimensions of the new glass are removed, you can start preparing and cutting glass with your own hands.
For cutting glass you need a strong and even base of the countertop, better wooden. There should not be dirt or garbage on its basis, because of which glass during cutting can be damaged and burst. It is best if the glass does not also fade along the table while cutting it. Otherwise, you need to do everything to prevent this, put on the table, for example, a piece of thin plywood or dense cardboard.
With your own hands before cutting the glass, its surface should be “crystal” clean. It is not allowed to have even the slightest accumulation of dirt or dust. Otherwise, by drawing glass cutter along the glass, you can “run” to such a section, which is why the fishing line for the trimmer of the glass cutter will change, and the glass will be spoiled. Therefore, if there is a need, then the glass in front of the sharp is washed out with a soap solution and wiped with a soft cloth dry.
For cutting glass with your own hands at home, you will also need a flat wooden rail of suitable length along the size of the cut glass. The process of cutting glass at home is not too complicated. At first, the glass is prepared, as mentioned above, then fits on an even and strong base.
After that, tags are placed on the edges of the glass where the incision should be made, and a wooden bar is accurately settled on them, which serves as a guide to work with glass cutter. Then from one edge to the other, pressing tightly, the glass cutter to the wooden rail is an incision. It is better if he is alone, clear and even, just along the bar.
Break the glass after the cut with glass cutting, you can push it to the edge of the table, combining with a cut. Holding the part of the glass located on the base of the table, the other part must be easily pressed down with your hand. If the glass cutter is sharp and the incision is made correctly, then the glass should burst strictly along the cut.
If this does not happen, it is necessary starting from the middle of the glass, neat tapping along the cut line to achieve a crack in it.
The question of how to cut the glass is better to solve correctly, carefully preparing for it. It is best to take and work several times in cutting glass of different thicknesses on unnecessary pieces, and only after that go to cutting glass with your own hands for installation and replacement.
How to cut glass without glass cutter. How to cut glass without glass cutter? 3 practical ways
Life can sometimes puzzle with a completely unexpected problem. For example. how to cut glass without glass cutter, if it suddenly did not be at hand, and work needs to be done urgently? Not everyone has it in the list of necessary tools.
I don’t want to buy it for one.time work. once in a life to cut a new mirror, and then the tool will be lying for years without use.For example, in the evening, young football players knocked out your glass with a ball. You lock the slot with glass from any interior, but it is slightly larger in size.
Meteorite72. Best online LED lighting store! The highest quality goods, impeccable service, the broadest assortment, excellent prices, guarantee. View products
What to do? Glass cutters are clearly not working, running around the neighbors in the search is not a fact that you will find. So that you have to recall folk methods of combating fragile material.
How to cut glass without glass cutter? Several ways have been invented to solve this problem. Each of them gives quite high.quality results.
We hope that our tips will be useful if the necessary tool is absent or lost among other things.
The method is not universal and is suitable only for thin glasses, with a thickness of not more than 3 mm. But almost the easiest. In addition, it allows you to cut not only in a straight line, but also figuratively, if you needed glass of a certain shape (for example, the doorbell insert). Another drawback. you will not be able to cut too big a piece.First of all, take a fragment of the same glass and try to trim on it. If the glass cracks in the process, it means that it is hot, and this method is not suitable in this case. If everything is in order, then we start.
The desired contour is planned on the glass with a marker. Or a fishing line for a trimmer is carried out if you just need to cut off the excess. Some masters advise cutting out a cardboard template and stick it on the glass. In our opinion. not the best idea.
Firstly, the paper will soak, and its rags will interfere with work.
Secondly, problems with glue may arise: the water-soluble will not hold the template, and then the waterproof will have to be removed from the surface-unnecessary troubles.
Water is poured into a wide basin. The edge of the glass to be pruning is lowered into it. The deeper the piece is immersed, the easier the process will go. the water pressure helps it.Strong scissors like tailoring are taken, plunged under the surface, and trimming begins. Sensations are more difficult than when paper or fabric is cut.
Rather, they resemble work with cardboard. At the same time, crumbs are also formed, so it is better to cut in protective glasses in case of rebound if you are not deeply loaded into the water.
Gloves will not hurt either. And perhaps they will be even more useful than glasses, since you will not notice fragments in water, and they cut it strongly.
Many do not believe that scissors cut glass, and are very surprised to try that this is really possible.
In cases where the glass is thick or so large that it is not placed in the basin, it is proposed to be found in a soldering iron. Some used wood burner for similar purposes. And especially poor on the tool. even a hot nail.
Although it will have to be busy with him with cutting glass for a very long time, since it is necessary to constantly heat it.
Glass is laid on a flat surface. A fishing line for a trimmer cut. Here, by the way, a figured cut is also available. At the very beginning of the line, on the edge of the glass, neat, not too deeply tiled with a file or a file, is made
You can tear the edges of the corner grinder (only extremely, carefully, at the lowest speeds!) or even scratch it with a nail. The soldering iron is turned on. When heated, inserted into the incision. The soldering iron slowly, without much pressure, is carried out along the drawn circuit
If the fishing line is straight for the trimmer, and you are not sure that at such a low speed you can draw it evenly, attach a metal ruler and move the soldering iron along it. A thin crack appears behind the instrument along the drawn line. To divide two pieces of glass, a thick mitten is put on (a kitchen-bag is suitable at home) and an unnecessary wrapping is carefully broken off. If you have a curly cut, it is better to lead the soldering iron as slowly as possible, so that there is a fraction of a millimeter remained, and the openwork was not damaged when separating pieces.
How to cut glass without glass cutter
Tool for cutting glass did not always have such widespread as today. In the second half of the last century, people came up with their ways to conquer this capricious material, without the use of glass cutter. In fact, for cutting illegal glass up to 8 mm thick, you can use many improvised objects, you just need to have a little dexterity.
Start listing objects suitable for working with glass is better with determining the types of exposure to this material. Of the main methods, the thermal can be distinguished when the glass is heated in a certain place, and the physical, when it is cut through the effects of gross force. The industry uses a hydro.carbrease method of cutting when glass is processed on expensive equipment under strong water pressure.
To cut the glass by the thermal method, a small segment of twine and a flammable liquid like alcohol or acetone are enough, also a soldering iron and a burning device can be used as a cutter. To cut glass with physical influence, you can use a file, a winning drill, a nail, a thin diamond disk and even ordinary tailor scissors. Of course, some of the listed items are difficult to get a good chip, but with the proper skill, a quite suitable result may come out. Now, knowing how you can cut glass without glass cutter, you can proceed to the process itself.
How to cut glass without glass cutter
Before proceeding to a detailed description of the techniques of cutting glass, we want to remind you of the safety. During work, always put on working gloves and protective glasses, in order to avoid cuts and small fragments from getting into the eyes. Be careful and try not to exert excessive pressure on the glass.
We impregnate the thread in combustible liquid and fix it on the glass along the cutting line. We set fire to, wait for complete burning and immediately place it in cold water or pour it into the place of heating. The main thing is that the glass has cooled as quickly as possible and burst from the temperature difference. A characteristic click will signal the success of the work done. If the glass does not crack, you can try to repeat the operation.
A similar method is quite evenly shakes up, but does not always work with large glasses of glasses. It is also very fire.hazardous and requires the presence of a fire extinguisher at hand or a container with water, which is already required.
Having outlined a fishing line for a trimmer for the future cut on glass, we take a file and make it a small groove from the very edge. Retreating from it 1-2 mm, we heat the place with a soldering iron until microcracks are formed between it and risk. Next, we are already retreating from the crack itself to this distance and gradually move to the finish point. Thus, the glass is cut for a long time, but you can get any shape. To slightly speed up the process, the glass can be periodically cooled, applying a wet rag to it.
Scissors in the water
A simple way of directing glass fork. Allows you to easily cut round figures, but not suitable for creating straight lines. For such cutting, ordinary scissors and a container with water will be required, which will serve as a kind of grease. The maximum glass thickness should not exceed 4 mm.
The process of cutting this technique is extremely simple. We take a piece of the processed glass, immerse in the water and chop off small pieces from the edges with scissors. Water will not let the glass crack, allowing you to make a controlled chip. In this way, you can get the figures of oval and round in shape.
Not the safest way to cut glass, requiring increased accuracy and mandatory compliance with safety rules. Can easily put the glass and start the fragment in any direction. Otherwise, the method is quite effective and can cope with the task. For cutting, you need a special tool (corner grinder, drill or drill) with a diamond disk 0 thickness 0.1 mm.
The cutting process itself is quite simple, but requires a certain dexterity and a solid hand to lead the tool clearly along the line. We lay the processed piece of glass in an even place, then we take the cutter and draw a disk of fishing line for a trimmer on the glass surface. The main thing is not to plunge deep into it, but only touch slightly, so that a small hollow forms, similar to a wide fishing line for a trimmer from glass cutter. Next, just break the glass in the right place.
In order to reduce the likelihood of glass carbonization and reduce the amount of glass dust during operation, you can periodically water the place of cut with water.
Another way to cut glass at home without glass cutter and expensive power tools. For work, you need a file and a little experience in handling glass. Please note that the file should have angles, so the round will not work.
To cut the glass, it is enough to make a few incisions on its surface on its surface. It is necessary to put pressure on the file a little more than the average, so that the effort is enough to form a clear groove similar to a cutter cutter. When the scene is planned, we just break the glass on the edge of the table or putting a match under the cutting place.
This method requires a certain skill, and if you are faced with sharp glass for the first time, we strongly recommend that you practice on small, unnecessary fragments before moving on to the main material.
If you do not know what the cutting of glass is, then we suggest considering another way to cut glass without glass cutter. In the presence of a certain experience, one drill with a winning tip may be enough for this operation. The main thing is that the drill is more or less new, with sharp angles on the head.
The process of cutting glass by drill itself is largely similar to a conventional roller glass cutter. Of the differences, you can distinguish a higher pressure force, but otherwise all actions are standard. We lay the glass on a flat surface, mark the fishing line for the cutting trimmer, apply the bar, and we drive a fishing line for a trimmer from top to bottom. In front of the sharp, turn the tip in such a way that the most acute angle is in contact with the glass. Having received a clear fishing line for a trimmer, we break the glass along the cutting line.
The method of cutting glass with a winning drill requires skill and practical experience in handling this material. Beginning masters have very little chance of performing an accurate cut in this way, but with patience and straight hands, the necessary result can be obtained.
Cutting “professional”. glass cutter
For such a “surgical” operation, another tool is needed. a ruler, it is better to find a thick plate with which the glass cutter will be more difficult to jump. Material is marked with a felt.tip pen or special pencil. a glassographer, it is used to painted glass surfaces.
Having applied the tags, the points are connected by the line of the future cut, the ruler is left on it. The incision is made only once, repeated manipulation is prohibited, otherwise cracks may appear on the glass. First, in the upper part from the edge, a short fishing line for a trimmer is carried out, its length is up to 5 mm. Then they continue it until the end of the product.
The same efforts made over the entire length are a mandatory requirement. The correctly drawn fishing line for the trimmer should be translucent, uniform. The sheet is broken. If the operation has not been successful on the first attempt, then the fishing line for the trimmer is tapped by the glass cutter with the handle, after which the breakdown process is repeated.
After the most crucial stage ended with success, the edges of the chip are cleaned with fine.grained sandpaper, replacing it. a bar.
It’s more convenient to work with it because of the usual shape: the handle of diamond glass cutter is very similar to a pencil, so they hold it in the same way. However, there are some features even in working with such a comfortable tool:
- It is placed at an angle to the processed surface: the position of the glass cutter is similar to the “pose” of the pencil when writing or drawing;
- Excessive efforts in this case are contraindicated, they will lead to unevenness or chips of a cut line;
- re.conducting on “drawn” areas. taboos, a retreat is needed at least several millimeters;
- The work requires accuracy and speed: the operation to scratch the line on the meter sheet of glass takes about 2 seconds.
The cutting line for the trimmer of the cut is combined with the edge of the working surface so that the unnecessary part of it is on weight. The cut is tapped on the underside until a small crack is formed. During this operation, “extra” glass fragments are usually separated from the sheet independently, without requiring the efforts of the master. Sometimes a hanging piece is carefully broken off.
Roller, oil windshield
In this case, a strictly vertical arrangement of the tool, pressing efforts during cutting, are also necessary. Separation of glass always begins in the most delicate method. with a slight tapping on the back. If the glass is not amenable, they turn to more serious actions.
Throughout the cut line (or with intervals or only from one edge), matches and/or toothpicks are placed under the sheet. Then, carefully pressed on the canvas on both sides. If these manipulations do not help, then, again combining the fishing line for a trimmer with the edge of the working surface, try to put pressure on the glass with their hand, but without fanaticism. Unreasonable material is a good reason to try to make another fishing line for a cutting trimmer.
Actions with an oil tool do not differ from working with a conventional video, the difference is one-this process is more easy due to lubrication of the surface.
If you need a round hole
In this case, beginners in this case to get a glass cutter-zirkul, since an independent assembly of a tool that may no longer be required, or anything. In this case, the end is fixed in the center of the future circle, then the required radius is set. The circle is outlined carefully, smoothly, but quickly. Further work on its extraction is similar to the previous work.
Non.standard curly cutting
The process of this cutting is somewhat more complicated, but it is also not very demanding even to novice masters of glass. To guarantee accuracy, first make a workpiece-flue. The pattern is cut out of wood-bearing plate, recommended thickness-5 mm. The video will not be able to fit tightly, so the indentation of 2-3 mm is necessary. Stripes of islands are glued to the lower part of the cut template, they will not let it “fidget” on the glass. The finished pattern is laid on the canvas, draw a continuous fishing line for a trimmer. Then they tap on the bottom.
Folk alternatives to glass cutters
Folk experience is the only option when there is an urgent need, and there is no tool. Several methods are used to cut glass, but not all of them are relatively safe.
- Scissors and warm water. This method is applicable if you need to cut a sheet whose thickness does not exceed 3 mm. So they work when small pieces of glass of a certain shape are required. Scissors take strong ones, as the work is similar to cutting very dense cardboard. The deeper the glass in water, the easier the process itself. In this case, it is better to put on thick gloves and glasses, as they suggest that glass elements can jump out of the water.
- Burning device, soldering iron, hot nail. The last option is able to kill a lot of time, since he will have to heat the metiz constantly, and act will not be too convenient. First of all on the glass, draw a fishing line for a trimmer. At its beginning, which coincides with the edge, a small hole is made on it (a file, a file, a hacksaw). A soldering iron is placed in this place, move it without pressure. The glass is broken with their hands, putting on gloves.
- Natural thin twine and gasoline. Such “jokes with fire” require a master of caution. the use of a non.combustible work surface. A cord cut off exactly in length of the product and moistened with gasoline (kerosene, white spirit), put on a fishing line for a trimmer of the future split, then set fire to. Waiting for almost complete completion of burning, the place is watered with water. If some areas are unprocessed, cut off the twine of a similar length, then the operation is repeated. The cut place is tapped until a crack appears.
The answer to the question of how to cut the glass is right is obvious: the only option is best for this purpose. glass cutter. If the home master is strong for experiments, then he can try folk methods. How is the traditional “glass.cutting” work, this video will show:
Pay attention to the following recommendations that will help you in cutting stained glass:
- Do not cut the glass for a stained glass from a large sheet. It is better to cut off a small piece of glass. So you minimize the probability of accidentally damage the entire sheet of glass or apply fractures to it. Also, large sheets of glass you can accidentally break or scratch;
- When you scratch the glass, you need to constantly maintain pressure along the entire length;
- Try not to scratch the fishing line for a trimmer more than once, because this way you can break glass cutter;
- If you are mistaken in the process of creating a scratch, then do not stop and at the end you will remove excess glass;
- As soon as you finish the entire process of cutting the glass, do not forget to clean the working surface with a brush;
As you can see, it will not be difficult to cut stained glass. Just adhere to the above methods and recommendations.
To mark the markup, you will need a ruler and roulette, which should be made exclusively from metal. This will help to avoid hoods or shrinkage of a measurement tape, as well as perform accurate markings. The ruler should have a thickness of 8-10 mm. Her ledge will serve you with an emphasis for glass cutter.
Before cutting or performing curly cutting glass, you should prepare for work. You must take care of the safety of the workplace, as well as the convenience and quality of cutting glass. For this you need:
- Prepare a workplace that should take into account the features of the cutting work. You will carry out all operations on a special table, which should have at least the same size as the sheet. But it is better if it is 50-100 mm larger than glass dimensions. Place the table so that on each side the passage is at least 1 meter. From one side, free the space with a length equal to the largest side of the table. You will need it to store cut sheets, glass combat and material residues. The table should have a maximum smooth surface, so we recommend that in any case, put a thick sheet on it with a 30 mm thick wood-bearing plate. In addition to this, it can be covered with a soft cloth. Be sure to free all the passages from unnecessary things.
- From the tool to perform cutting glass or cutting a mirror you will need glass cutter, pattern and measuring tool. Before work, make sure the glass cutter is in good condition, for this, apply a fishing line for a trimmer on a piece of glass.
- Plan the front of the upcoming work. To do this, you need to measure the windows or other designs that you are going to glaze.
How to cut glass
Based on pre.calculated dimensions, proceed to the cutting of the sheet. Subject to the correct execution of this operation, you will have a minimum of waste that you can use, if necessary, to perform other work. It is advisable to apply a fishing line for a trimmer of marking with a special pencil “Glasster”.
Using a pattern or ruler, apply the start and end point of the cut. The line should be kept, focusing on the distance between the side surface of the glass cutter and the cutting edge, which is usually 3-4 mm from the cutting line. The glass cutter itself needs to be placed at the planned cutting point of the cut and put a ruler to it. Before the open, it will not hurt to run a finger at the place of the cut. so you can not only remove the dust that has formed, but also concentrate as much as possible at the upcoming work. Some masters apply turpentine to this place, which can be useful when working with thin glass.
Press on the ruler, and then draw a cut from the beginning to the end. Try to do this in such a way that the strength and speed of movement remain unchanged. Approaching the end of the cut, we advise you to weaken the effort, otherwise a crack may appear.
For the correct execution of the chipped chop, adhere to the next algorithm:
- Move the sheet to the edge of the table so that the cutting fishing line for the cutting of the cut coincides with the edge of the table, and then break the sheet with a quick movement.
- If you work with glass with a thickness of more than 3 mm, we advise you to put on it strictly along the cut line of a flat, smooth wooden block. After that, act in the same way as in the previous case. abruptly break off the sheet along the line. This method is relevant for cutting more than 1 m long.
- Move the sheet to the edge of the table, and then, striking the glass cutter from the bottom along the cutting line, create cracks in this place. If you do everything right, then the crack will be clearly visible. Then pass the glass cutter again along the line to enhance cracking. During this operation, provide glass support in case of its spontaneous breakdown, since when performing this work, unforeseen chips may occur.
Sometimes it happens that the chip occurred only in some places behind the cutting line. Then you have to break off extra pieces. For high.quality and safe performance of this operation, it is necessary to use special cutouts on the glass cutter head. Although you can try to do this with the help of pliers, which need to be applied in such a way that the sponges only take a little fishing line for the trimmer of the cut. In rare cases, the master has no choice but to “poke” or “pluck” extra pieces with improvised tools. However, be careful because this can lead to cracks. In order to avoid their formation, we first advise you to process the site with turpentine.
To continue working with a cut fragment of glass without risk to get an injury, as well as give the edges an attractive look, we advise you to dull them. The following tools will help you with this:
- Current beam.
- Old file. If the glass has a large thickness, then we advise you to use a personal file, and for a thin there will be enough velvet.
- Sandpaper wrapped a wooden block.
Before treating the edge with a file, it must be moistened, and it is advisable to use a solution of turpentine with water or kerosene for this, which are taken in equal amounts. Move the file or other device along the edge and only along it, exerting a slight pressure. If you need to polish the edge, then you will need a grinding machine. Here you also need to moisten the processing place with a solution of turpentine with water, and after the end of the work, the cut should be washed to remove glass dust.
Glass cutting is an operation that only professionals can perform correctly. Therefore, if you first are going to cut glass with your own hands, you need to thoroughly prepare for this work. Keep in mind that for the high.quality performance of cutting glass you need to prepare not only the necessary tool, but also a place for cutting. But the main thing is that you must find out how to do it right.
Even if you study a lot of materials and look at the master classes on the performance of cutting glass, this is not always enough to achieve the desired result. Therefore, we advise you to train on an unnecessary fragment of the material and acquire minimal skills, without which it will be very difficult for you to correctly cut glass.