Hand tool for cold forging with your own hands
How to make a manual machine for cold forging with his hands instruction
This type of work with metals is more popular among “home” craftsmen, if only because it does not involve heat treatment and, consequently, the installation of the horn. And this case is both more complex and more troublesome. And the technology of manufacturing various patterned parts is much easier, because there is no such thing as “overheated” or “underheated” material.
In principle, you can perform cold forging with a hand tool, special equipment is not always necessary. All that is needed is an anvil and a hammer. So you can work with virtually any workpiece. sheet iron, metal strips, bars or pipes. It all depends on the complexity of the part and the skills of the master. By the way, as an option. an ordinary pipe bender, which can do a lot of things.
But in most cases, especially for people who are fond of it or if the case is put “on stream”, it is advisable to use a machine tool for cold forging, even homemade, because not every sample can be processed by hand tool. And the range of possibilities expands considerably. On sale there are a lot of appropriate devices, but the are “biting”.
For example, without taking into account the devices, which, depending on the equipment, will cost another 7. 10 thousand rubles. Even the simplest machine for “snail” for less than 65 000.
One can assemble by oneself simple mechanisms which, nevertheless, allow receiving the most intricate patterns. It’s all about the skills of the person who will be working. Consider one of the models, and without specifying the material used, sizes, and other subtleties. The main thing is to understand the principle of the device, and the home craftsman can find the rest himself. over, a person who has no inclination to engage in such “design”, and it will not be interested.
With its help, you can do rings, spirals, “waves” and various “curls. The process of making a machine includes several steps.
To obtain greater precision of marking, it is advisable to use “millimeter” paper. On it is drawn spiral, and with a gradual increase in the radius of turns. The condition. the distance between them (step) must be the same. But this is if you want symmetry of the pattern (although everyone has his own idea of “artistic value” of the work). The same applies to the number of coils (as a rule, there are no more than 4).
A piece of sheet iron is used. Its sufficient thickness is 4 mm. The linear dimensions are determined based on the anticipated size of the manufactured parts.
For it you can take, for example, a strip metal 3 mm thick. This will allow you to work with it with a hand tool. It is bent into a spiral according to the markings of the template. It is not difficult to do, using a pair of pliers.
To ensure the workflow, you will need to fix one end of the workpiece. Therefore, we will need a scrap of bar (equal to the width of the strip). Besides, the working platform will need to be fixed on something (for example, on the workbench). As such a stand, you can prepare a 10 cm piece of pipe (of course, thick-walled). Although there are many options, since the set up in this way the structure can interfere with other types of work.
For example, to envisage fixing the whole assembly in a “powerful” vise. Therefore, instead of a pipe, you can take a hexagon (a nut of large diameter or something similar). The main thing is the reliability of fixing, taking into account that in cold forging considerable efforts should be applied.
Assembly of the machine
Here are also many variants. It can be made both “monolithic” and disassembled into parts. In the first case, the “snail” (or its individual parts) of the strip is simply welded to the pad. For example, in this position:
It is possible on all length to “weld” pieces of rod (1 cm) with the interval of 4. 5 cm, and under them in the working platform to drill seating holes.
We have considered only one of the simplest options. To have a better idea of all the possibilities of devices for the manufacture of “snails” and similar products, it is advisable to get acquainted with the relevant industrial equipment. And how to make the right device independently, from improvised material, a savvy person will always figure out. An interesting option is shown at
In practice, we often have to bend the workpieces in a “serpentine”, but to do it manually is quite difficult. Such machines are called “torsion machines”. In addition to the fact that considerable effort will be required, it is necessary to observe the uniformity of rotation. So, such devices for cold forging must be equipped with an electric drive. You can read the full list of equipment for cold forging in this article.
German machine tool for artistic forging. Ready-made forging business. Hand tools for forging. Price
People have long since learned how to make elegantly shaped objects out of metal. It can be ornate lanterns, canopies, elements of fireplaces, wrought iron furniture, awnings and fences. Until recently, such products were created in the process of painstaking and difficult work of the blacksmith.
Today on the market appeared modern equipment, with which you can create forged designs without heating the metal. The advantage of manual cold forging is that now for working with metal it is not necessary to have some complicated technology and physical effort. It will be enough to know how the equipment works, and how to use it correctly.
What are machines for cold forging??
There are many varieties of machines for cold forging:
- Bending tool for bending parts at a given angle or for arc bending.
- Snail pattern (solid or with removable parts of different sizes) to create spiral-shaped elements.
- Twister A tool that is used to bend the original part along an axis.
- Wave with this cold forging machine to create wave-shaped parts from the bar.
- Tool for shaping rings.
- Press for matrix imprinting by pressing.
- Universal tools for cutting, adding volume, riveting.
Important! Such machines can function with the use of manual force, and by means of an electric motor. The second option allows you to do all the work a little faster, but will also require some effort and skill from the worker.
Machine “Snail” with your own hands
Some home craftsmen make manual equipment for cold forging on their own. Using the drawings given on the Internet you can quite easily assemble a machine “Snail”.
The necessary tools and metal parts:
- Steel strips and sheets;
- rods of metal;
- Profile steel tube;
- angle grinder;
First of all, you need to draw a drawing of a spiral with three coils on a sheet of paper. After that, you need to reconcile the dimensions so that a reinforced rod with a diameter of 10 mm is placed in the thread. Now you can start building the machine.
Welding work must be carried out qualitatively, as it is on them depends the life of the machine.
Hand tools for cold forging
The type of all equipment is divided into manual and electric. Electric equipment includes forging machines. Manual equipment can also be called tools or appliances for cold forging.
If your goal is not to develop a business related to blacksmithing, and do something for yourself and your friends and neighbors, or you want to try without risking significant money, the manual tools for cold forging. this is what you need. What are the advantages of this tool:
- does not require an electrical connection
- does not require special skills
- Takes up little space, can easily be placed in the cottage, garage
- Mobile and easy to transport
- Liquid. in case you change over to blacksmithing machines or you get bored with the process, you can always sell the tool
The disadvantage of such a tool is that it takes considerably more time and effort for one operation than if it were done on a forging machine. But if there is no task to save time and decrease production cost it can be neglected.
To start you only need 3 tools: torsion (for longitudinal bending), snail (for curls), bent (for corners). You can save money and buy a cold forging tool kit at a discount. There is an option to purchase a universal bending tool. It will save space in the garage, but will require more time to change tooling.
Cold forging, by definition, does not require heating the metal, but it does not rule it out. Heated metal is needed only in 1 operation. shaping ends (peaks, goosefoots, slopes) and flattening (in balusters, for example. You can bend a non-ferrous material (e.g., forged metal in the middle). You need a gas furnace (with or without compressor) or a coal furnace for this. In all other operations of cold forging the heating of metal will allow you to save efforts and work with large sizes of blanks.
As the name suggests, this technology does not require preheating of the metal. Metal is pressed in the production process, its crystal lattice is not violated. You will use 3 basic forging operations: drawing, bending and twisting. Cold forging technology puts certain restrictions on the materials you use.
Manual machines bend steel without heating no thicker than 14 mm, as they use only the power of the hands and the principle of the lever. You can also bend nonferrous rolled metal products: copper, aluminum, and others. Heating is necessary for forming ends (drawing) or for bending thicker workpieces.
The process of cold forging is divided into the following stages:
- designing. drawing of the product (by hand or in a specialized program)
- production of elements of cold forging
- connection of elements (by welding, riveting or clamping methods)
- Finishing (sanding, deburring) of the finished product on site (if necessary)
There are several basic elements of cold forging, they are also true for classic, artistic forging “by hot” method. Learn more about these and other terms in our glossary
Features of Making
Made forged metal parts by deformation, during the work it is necessary to pay attention to some properties of the material.
The structure of the special lattice of metal is made of grains that have an irregular shape. The tool used for forging acts on it and leads to a change in the appearance of the element. The choice of drawings for machine tools is of great importance, as the workpiece must retain its initial characteristics.
There are some rules, compliance with which gives a chance to get the desired result:
- Making a particular configuration is possible with the help of several fixtures.
- Before starting to create, the calculation of the parameters of the elements to be formed is performed.
- The bars used for blanks may have different diameters, which are chosen based on the level of difficulty of the technique and its use.
- Only low-carbon steel is processed, as other types do not have the necessary plasticity.
Manual bending machines for cold work can be made with their own hands, you only need to understand the intricacies of using the tool and choose a good drawing.
Manual bending machine
“Bending” is needed to make corners of different configurations. Its main structural parts are the driving stop and two shafts, laid out on a steel plate.
- Homemade bending machines for cold work of this kind should be made in accordance with certain features. For example, the angle of deformation must first be selected. Also, the addition of an auxiliary bending element can be performed, in the case of its use, 3 rotating shaft is mounted.
- The fixture is made of special steel, since it is subjected to enormous loads in the process. It is worth noting the possibility of collecting different parts.
Twister and snail
Now art forging is not without elements in the form of a twister. They are made by special tools for quality forging called “twister”. They have a unique feature, which is the scrolling of the rod along the axis. The attachment is made of a moving and locking part. The rotary handle is used to deform the workpiece, which must be fixed between the main parts of the structure. Remember that the spiral is made from the side of the attachment of the product, and the applied forces can be reduced with the correct calculation of the lever, which exerts pressure. Such a tool helps to create parts for fences from metal and window grilles.
“Snail” is similar to a simple forging machine made by your own hands, which provides the creation of spirals with the required number of turns. It is very popular and can be adapted to create the desired product. The tool is equipped with a manual or electric drive, the type of which is chosen according to the intensity of use.
Machine for cold forging with their own hands (16 photos)
Home-made machine for cold forging made by my own hands from an old hub and a few pieces of iron.
Hello all! Started to surf the Internet in search of how to make elements of cold forging with their own hands and with minimal cost. In principle, there is nothing difficult about it, for the manufacture of devices, you can do with hand tools. Of course the output does not produce a product comparable to industrial production, but for myself, for dachas, for friends is quite entitled to life. Nothing new I have not invented, all plumed from YouTube, and some sites, who are really interested look for cold forging their own hands enough information to repeat.
To recap how exactly I did and what came out of it with a little Комментарии и мнения владельцев and a photo.
So, in the garage was found second-hand hub, it served as the basis of all.
On one side of the welded-on pad on which the removable conductor is mounted, on the other side of the flange, to which is attached the handle.
Already with the help of this you can make from a strip 4×20(25) here such elements.
I tried to twist the square 10×10, of course after the strip, the effort should be more, but if a small number of pcs. you can live.
The following simple contrivance for making a flashlight. Found a pair of flanges, and a rod of something with a diameter of 22mm.
Part of the angle is mounted on a table stationary, in the center of a smooth stem is inserted, and pieces of smooth rebar 6-ki, about 200mm long. With the other put on a flange with handles. We twist a turn in any direction, remove the flange and obtain the following.
Frankly, a lot of time is spent on stripping fine fittings, cutting, twisting, welding-it’s easier to buy ready-made, but if there is time and desire, why not.
Well, with the help of an old hub, a few pieces of iron, a welder and handy tools turned out these products. If this note will bring someone something useful, I will be glad. Thank you all and good luck! Author self-made: zaviruxa. г. Minsk.
The technology of cold forging with your own hands
Admiring the beauty of an openwork metal fence or admiring the incredible twisted pattern on the railing of the iron staircase, few people think about the fact that they are made by cold forging. To learn how to embody the beauty in the metal is possible without much effort. It is enough to have minimal metalworking skills and have special machines for cold forging. What is cold forging?? What machines are needed for it? What can be made on these machines? The answers to these questions you will find in our article. Cold forging would be more correct to call it mechanical bending of a metal bar on specialized machines, to give it a shape conceived by the manufacturer. Bending of bars in the lathe, it is possible to produce by hand with the help of levers, and with the use of electric motors. In addition to the metal bar, the cold forging method can bend small-diameter pipes, narrow iron strips and rebar. Cold forging is used to produce:
- Twisted fences.
- Ornaments for residential structures.
- Patterned gates.
- Fences for balconies and staircases.
- Metal garden benches.
- Ornaments for arbors and skylights.
- Lots of options for grids.
Elements made by cold forging
Having mastered the method of cold forging, you can easily start your own business for the production of metal products. In this case, the initial financial investment you will need only for the purchase of machines, and if you make the machines by your own hands, you can get by with minimal costs.
Our article will be about the artistic cold forging, or as it is often called cold forging. We are often confronted with artistic products: as decorations on facades, fences, gates, awnings, as outdoor furniture in parks or in summer cottages, very often they are found in our apartments and homes: in the form of stands for flowers, various installations and other household items, wood and accessories to fireplaces, cold forging products can be decorated and the barbecue and gazebo in your yard. The list can be continued, there is a use for it everywhere.
RIGHT ENDING No machines and no heating! Cold forging.
Artistic forging products have been known since ancient times. When people did not yet know how to smelt steel, products were made of copper, gold, silver then bronze and iron. Some of the most ancient works of decorative forging, survived to this day, were created by masters from Europe in the X-XIII centuries. The countries of the Mediterranean achieved great successes in blacksmithing: this led to the emergence of handicraft branches: some were engaged in weapons and armor, others in shoeing horses, others in castles and chests, there were also those who created jewelry and works of art. The ornaments of ancient cathedrals and churches, castles and palaces, various religious and civic buildings of olden times remind us of the skills of smiths of the past. None of the eras could avoid artistic forging: Romanesque, Renaissance, Gothic, Modern. Since the XX century this technology has been widespread throughout the world. At present artistic products are made mainly from rolled steel products, but also in rare cases from synthetic materials (polystyrene).
What is the difference between artistic forging and cold forging?? Cold forging is one of the methods of making decorative objects, i.e.е. artistic forging. The essence of the method consists in the method of production of artistic decoration without preheating of blanks. Т.е. to make, for example, a forged wicket door, you do not need a forging furnace, torch, induction heater or muffle furnace. But in practice, as a rule, a combination of methods of cold and hot forging is used. In 95-99% of all operations in cold forging are made without heating, but in some cases, for example in the manufacture of forging crowns (crow’s feet) is used preheating for further hot plastic deformation in the die or rolling mill. In practice various firms or individual masters can combine the methods of hot and cold forging, or deal with them separately, using one or another method.
This article is not about how to build another scrap metal in the garage in order to once worked on it to make sure of its ineffectiveness and eventually send it to the trash. Of course, on the expanses of the Internet you can find many articles from specialists from garages, as well as video clips demonstrating the work of their crafts: situations are different, someone likes to experiment, or just not ready to buy a machine or tool. Our article will be of interest to other categories:
- Beginners in blacksmithing (for example, a private person to decorate his summer cottage or country house);
- Entrepreneurs who are going to or are thinking about opening their own blacksmithing business (mini forge or full-scale blacksmith shop);
- Established professionals, employees of construction or metal-working companies, for which at the moment is the task of producing artistic products.
It is not as difficult as it seems at first sight! The main thing to decide on a few points, namely:
Decided? Half of the job is already done! At the initial stage there is no need to get too hung up on paragraph 2, doing the exact calculations in millimeters, artistic forging creative and requiring improvisation and imagination. The budget can be different: small, medium, large and very large! Believe me, you can start doing artistic forging even with a small budget: for example a simple set of hand tools for cold forging can be purchased starting from the amount of 21 700, or buy a universal machine tool with great potential for 19 800, and the most inexpensive and popular tool torsion for 9 800. If you have decided to start your own business and your budget is somewhat higher, then a good set of hand tools can be purchased starting from 50-70 thousand, roughly. If the budget is more solid, you can expand your set of hand tools with additional forging equipment, and purchase an automated electromechanical machine or a group of such machines.
- Torsion, torsion, twisting is the operation of longitudinal twisting of the workpiece (along its entire length or in some sections). The workpiece is rotated along its axis relative to each other.
- Twist, volute, spiral, snail is the basic and most popular element in art blacksmithing; making an element for cold work consists of turning the material (bar, square, etc.).д.) Around a special template, which forms the desired configuration of the workpiece.
- Forging baskets, lanterns, cones. this operation allows by twisting four blanks of a certain length (rod or square) to obtain a three-dimensional decorative and artistic element.
- Bending. is an operation to give the workpiece or part of it a bent shape at different angles. The process mode is cold or hot, depending on the thickness and profile. Bending can be carried out on special machines, on various mandrels and stamps, and jigs, as well as in a normal vice. The operation can result in: bending at various angles, bending arcs and rings, bending ovals, hooks, dollars, bending forging waves and snaking.
- Baluster is a complex decorative element, which is made by the forge press with special stamps, or with the help of several hand tools. Balusters are used both in grids of windows, balconies, railings, etc.д.
- A forging foot (goose-foot or petal at the end of the blank) This operation is performed by preheating the workpiece and then forming the ending in the forging die and rolling mill with a mandrel of a certain configuration.
- Bending and rolling of profile pipes. In blacksmithing, for the purpose of bending to an angle (for furniture) or radius (for sheds, gazebos, barbecues, arches, etc.д.The method of pipe bending and profile bending is used. Shaping of profile pipes is done for subsequent production of curls (both operations are performed in electromechanical machines).
- Forging leaves flowers, etc.д. This operation can be done with or without heating. Nowadays these elements are produced with automated forging dies, but if the blacksmith is highly skilled, they can be made manually with chasing and other operations.
- Joining of forging elements and decorating of joints. Connecting the elements of artistic forging, as a rule, by welding and scraping joints, as well as with rivets. Places of such joints can be decorated with forging clamps, which are made of steel strip by rolling and bending.
- Decorative leaf rolling can be done with or without heating. The operation is performed in special rolling machines on dies with various decorative patterns, or manually by chasing.
All machines and tools for artistic forging divided into two major groups: manual and electromechanical equipment, in turn, each of these major groups has subgroups:
It is also worth noting that in addition to the two main categories of equipment, there is a third category of equipment, which we will not allocate to a separate group: this is a group of auxiliary equipment for artistic forging: forging hammers, forging hammers, centrifugal fans (snails for hammers), tools for cutting and chopping metal, etc.д.
Examples of universal manual bending tools:
1) Universal manual bending tool MB21-30
2) Universal manual bending tool MB31-6×50
Examples of machines performing one or two similar operations:
1) M3-V9 curl bending tool set
2) Manual bending tool for curves MB25-30:
3) Longitudinal twisting tool M3-TR:
4) M04B-KR Basket Making Tool:
5) Manual profile bender BendMax-300:
Example of a universal bending machine:
1) Blacksmith UNV3-220V Universal Forging Machine
Examples of machines for cold forging with the ability to perform one or more operations:
1) SmartSolid V1-16 Curve Bending Machine
2) Universal forging machine SmartSolid V2-16
All machines presented on this page you can buy on our site at factory price.
Previously, artistic products decorated mostly palaces and estates of nobility, now it has become more accessible but, nevertheless, it is still an element of prestige and success. How can you make money on this? It’s very easy: just look at the cost of finished products (gates, gazebos, pergolas, barbecues, furniture, etc.) and compare it with the cost of rolled metal products (which are still sold at a very democratic price).д.), compare it to the cost of rolled metal (which is still sold at a very democratic price) and hand tools (or machines) with which you can make what you have planned. If you want to make something for yourself, on the cottage or in the house, at least you will save money and stay with reliable tools and a finished product, the maximum will remain tools and extra savings. If you decide to purchase a set of hand tools or machines for your business, then you have the question of where is decorative forging in demand? Your potential customers can be:
- State and municipal enterprises, which will need to ennoble the facades of buildings, to make repairs and restoration work inside the buildings or around the area (eg, to install a wicket, gates, stair railings, balconies, etc.).д.);
- Commercial enterprises, including those involved in the sphere of housing and communal services. The list of jobs to be done can be broad, including those written in n.1, as well as making canopies, arches and advertising installations, etc.д.
- Private clients who need to decorate a summer or country house with a beautiful canopy, awning, fence, fence, gazebo, bridge, railings or bars on the windows and balcony, or perform other work on the site.
The main thing is to believe in your strength! You will succeed in everything! If you have any questions about the selection of equipment, please call us at.: (812) 967-92-06 or email!