How can you charge the battery of an electric screwdriver. Precautionary measures
Standard circuit of chargers for screwdrivers for 18 volts
There are several simple rules on how to charge the battery of an electric screwdriver so that the tool uses all its possible resource.
When you purchase a new tool, remember that before using it for the first time, you need to put the battery for charging. Any nutrition elements, if they lie in a warehouse or in a store for a long time, tend to discharge. If your electric screwdriver is equipped with a NI CD battery (nickel-cadmium) elements, “pump” them by conducting a threefold full charge with the subsequent category to remove the “memory effect” that is characteristic of the NI CD accumulators, and bring their capacity level to the level of their capacity optimal.
If lithium-ion batteries are in your electric screwdriver, it is not necessary for them to conduct such “pumping”, because they are not characteristic of the “memory effect”: these are more modern batteries.
It is necessary to charge the battery at a favorable ambient temperature. The best temperature indicators in which the battery of an electric screwdriver should be charged is not lower than 10 ° C and not higher than 40 ° C. During charging, you can not leave the battery for a long time unattended to avoid overheating and reload. Although, if the standard charging of the tool is equipped with an indicator of control of the entire process, the device will automatically “finish” it when it will be needed.
It is not recommended to leave the battery in the charger for a long time. And if the electric screwdriver is not used so often, it is better to remove the batteries from it and store separately from it. In the case when the batteries lie without use for a long time, make sure that they are in a loaded state, conducting them “feeding” once a month for 25-30 minutes.
As you know, the battery power supply of electric screwdriver is either nickel-cadmium or lithium-ion. Ni CD batteries can be stored with any degree of charge. Their main advantage is that they are not afraid of deep discharges. In order for them to work well after a long break, as usual, they should be “pumped” three to four times. The “pumping” time, on average, is 3-4 hours, during which you can work with an electric screwdriver in normal mode. It is advisable to control the operation of an electric screwdriver that the Ni CD battery is not partially discharged, but completely. This will help her not accumulate the same “memory effect”.
If the battery of your instrument is equipped not by nickel-cadmium, but by lithium-ion batteries, the main “plus” is that they have no “effect” of memory. However, it is recommended to monitor the level of their charge more carefully. If an electric screwdriver with lithium battery is not used for some time, they must be periodically recharge. They just do not like deep discharge. If the lithium battery is subjected to deep discharge, the protective controller inside the battery block will work. To prevent this from happening, make sure that the batteries are charged, at least 50 percent of.
How I Fixed My Faulty Makita Battery
Safety and precautions
When using any charging method, it is necessary to be neat and observe precautions:
- Observe the process. When the battery is filled with energy, the procedure is stopped. Otherwise, overflow of battery can lead to boiling its electrical elements. With a sharp increase in temperature, a small spark will cause an explosion of the entire structure.
- All parts should correctly include in the chain. During the assembly, they keep strict records of the technical parameters of the device, ensuring the safety of the procedure and observing the polarity. With your own hands, can completely ruin the battery, excluding the possibility of its restoration in the future.
- The battery is charged in a short period of time with small differences in the characteristics of the modules (10-12 volts)
How to get around the defense
The nest to which the battery of an electric screwdriver is connected contains four terminals. Two of them are minus and plus. The other two terminals go on the relay of protection against short circuit, overheating and other things. To get around protection and not deal with the electric circuit, you can use an unnecessary battery from a drill.
Electric screwdriver battery in disassembled form
The battery of an electric screwdriver is taken out of the case. On a small plastic box of white color it will be written that it is thermal protection. This element, along with black wiring, you need to fall out and solder to the terminals of the charger. Now white and black wires are soldered to protection, observing polarity.
When connecting a battery or other devices, the indicator must show that the charging works fine. If you just turn it on, it will blink, showing that you need to put the battery. That is, flashing will disappear and red light will burn. With a full charge of the battery or other device, a green light should light up.
An example of a circuit for connecting charging electrical screwdriver to a car battery
To charge a car battery, the wire is removed from the side. You need to connect the terminals, and then connect the wire to the mains. Otherwise, the protection system will work, and charging will not begin. Plus and minus wire are connected to the corresponding terminals of the car battery. With good operation, the ZU should not overheat or melt.
Connection of terminals to charging an electric screwdriver
Common problems and their solution
What to do if the battery does not charge:
- Inspect the contacts between the terminals of the battery and. Contact can simply be weak. In such situations with their own hands, they disassemble exercises and bend the terminals;
- Wipe the contact group. It could be contaminated with dust or small particles of dirt. If so, then in practice it is noticeable that the tool works less in time, and is charged faster.
- Perhaps the battery has “outlived its”, since its resource is limited by a certain amount of the cycle;
- Operation conditions play the role. For example, lithium batteries do not tolerate cold;
- With ni-cd and ni-mh batteries take into account the effect of memory. The battery will not be able to keep the charge in full if it is put on charging before it completely gives the charge;
- In rare cases, the reason is in marriage.
The battery of an electric screwdriver can work out for a long time, but we must carefully consider the charging and storage process, as well as remember the rules of operation depending on the “chemistry” of the battery. The recharging does not imply anything complicated, you can even do this by third.Party land, but in this case all responsibility falls on the owner.
Features of charging batteries of electric screwdriver
Before charging an electric screwdriver without a charger, you should determine the type of battery, container, charging current. All information is indicated on the sticker, or in the instructions. You can also determine the marking parameters on working elements 0 for this, it is necessary to open the protective casing.
When working with a non.Original charger, the basic safety rules should be followed:
- To connect a cable with a protective insulator;
- A reliable fixation of probes with batteries should be ensured;
- It is necessary to charge the battery under constant supervision, avoiding overheating;
- Work should be performed in a well.Ventilated room;
- If the battery heats above 50 degrees Celsius, it is recommended to stop charging;
- Using a non.Original charging device is an extreme measure that should not become a constant solution.
Nickel-metallogram and nickel-Kadmiev
Nickel-metallogram battery of an electric screwdriver.
Ni-CD accumulators-a popular instrument solution. The battery is capable of working in a wide range of temperatures, withstand high load. Nickel-Cadmium battery is designed for 300-400 cycles. Of the shortcomings. The presence of a “memory effect”, quick degradation, accelerated self.Discharge.
Nickel-metallogids of power is an improved version of NI-CD IP, where most disadvantages are eliminated. Such an battery has a lighter, has an enlarged capacity, reduced “memory effect”, and most importantly. Less toxic.
Li-Ion battery is sensitive to deep discharge, overheating. It is not allowed to get water, air inside the battery. This can lead to smoke, fire, explosion. In this case, the lithium-ion battery has an increased capacity, compact dimensions, charges faster than outdated analogues. For charging, a microcontroller is required, which provides optimal current parameters.
Checking the status of the battery multimeter
Not always, when the battery quickly sits or does not function at all, you need to buy a new one or carry a block to the specialists of the service center. The cause of the malfunction will be able to independently find in many cases even an inexperienced electrician, having familiarized himself with the search algorithm. To do this, you need to use a multimeter or similar to it by measuring capabilities. In addition to this device, the following tools will also be required:
To accurately establish the cause of the battery problems, it is necessary to find out the performance of each individual nutritional element. But first it is recommended to check the charger. With the help of a multimeter, this is done in this way:
- Include the device;
- Set the switch to the measured values of the multimeter to a constant voltage;
- Install the probes in the corresponding nests of the multimeter and touch them with the contacts (“” and “-”) of the charger;
- Compare the size displayed on the device’s board with the output voltage of the charger indicated in the operating instructions or on the case;
- If the values do not match, then they repair the adapter or buy a new.
When it is possible, they select the measurement range on the device used, which is closest to the output voltage indicated on the charger.
To check the battery of an electric screwdriver by a multimeter, the following actions are performed:
- Charging the battery block completely;
- Check the output voltage of the battery with a multimeter by setting the device switch to its constant size, and probes touching the plus and minus;
- If the inconsistency of the measured parameter indicated in the operational instructions is established, then the battery block is disassembled and all batteries are taken out;
- Когда отсутствуют поврежденные банки (потекшие либо вздутые), тогда проверяют мультиметром напряжение на выводах каждой батареи, предварительно с помощью паяльника распаяв цепь;
- The load in turn connects the load for the same time (for example, the light bulb of the corresponding voltage);
- Which battery occurred the greatest drawdown, it is damaged.
To check nickel-metallological and nickel-cadmium energy drives are completely discharged-they do this to avoid the “memory effect”.
When performing a battery check, it should be borne in mind that for nickel-cadmium and nickel-metallogid types of power supply elements, the output voltage should be in the range from 1.2 to 1.4 V, and for lithium-from 3.6 to 3.8 V.
16 USEFUL LIFE HACKS FOR YOUR TOOLS
Finding a defective battery, it can be replaced by a new one or try to temporarily restore it. You can also measure the current strength with a multimeter: if it grows and exceeds 1 A in the first hour, then the battery is considered to be working.
If the voltage at the output of the battery is absent, then the probability of a violation of the integrity of the circuit inside the unit is high. At the same time, they also disassemble the block and look at first visually, and then with the help of the multimeter the place of the cliff.
Repair and replacement of batteries
Do.It.Yourself repair batteries with your own hands can be more capital. For example, alteration of no-cd for lithium. To do this, you need to purchase several Li-Ion batteries and charging fees. The number of batteries should correspond to the original voltage face value.
As practice shows, most screw vests are easily remade from one type of batteries to others, without any problems. Due to increased exposure, resistance to constant use and larger capacity, the old electric screwdriver will work much longer.
How long does it take to charge the batteries of an electric screwdriver?
As a rule, the time of charging the battery of an electric screwdriver is indicated in the instructions for the tool. These recommendations should be carefully adhered to. Often the charger has a special indication system that helps to understand how the charging process goes. Thanks to this, you can easily determine how much the battery of an electric screwdriver is charged. When the charging is completed, you need to interrupt it in time so that the batteries are not damaged. On average, the device charger for an electric screwdriver can recharge from about half an hour to 7 hours. Practice shows that the battery type of NI-CD with a capacity of 1.2 A h is charged with an current of 250 mA about seven hours. Charging current is maintained using a network adapter.
It should be borne in mind that there are two types of chargers for the battery. Ordinary and pulse. The standard ordinary charger is often used in an unprofessional tool, it charges the battery in about 3-7 hours. Impulse. More suitable for professional mechanisms. Thanks to him, the battery performance can be restored in a maximum of an hour.
What you need to know?
Choosing one of the options replacing the charger of an electric screwdriver, you need to remember: the safety of the process will depend on the correct connection of the devices. In addition, it is important to ensure that the charge mode corresponds to the technical characteristics of the battery itself. Regardless of which version of the charger is chosen, you need to understand: time methods can save the situation several times. But resorting to their use is constantly undesirable, since only original chargers give out the necessary voltage and current values and current values.
You can not use charging with a USB port from a laptop-they are not designed for this. If the battery does not charge, you can try to disperse the battery. For this, the block is disassembled and the cause of the malfunction is identified. After the block, it is first charged with large, and then less current. This allows you to return it to life if the electrolyte is still inside.
Watch how to charge a battery from an electric screwdriver without a charger, watch in the next video.