How to assemble a chainsaw starter spring. Repairing the starter mechanism
How to bend the chain saw starter motor spring
The chainsaw is an indispensable tool for building and making firewood. Proper operation with moderate work ensures a long life of the tool without breakdowns. But problems can arise unexpectedly and the chainsaw just fails to operate correctly. even if the problem is very minor.
How to assemble a chain saw starter?
After replacing defective starter components it’s time to reassemble the starter. The maximum precision must be maintained, since the smallest mismatch can cause the trigger mechanism to break. Assembly of the assembly should be performed in the following sequence:
- The standard cable will need to be inserted into the factory hole of the coil. However, the cord should not be wound;
- Next, you need to insert the spool into its base location. At this point, many beginners make a common mistake. There are 2 slots on the surface of the spool. One of them should get a regular spring hook. To do this, you need to install the spool so that it fits snugly in its original location, and the existing hook is exactly in the slot. The correct installation should be checked by turning the spool clockwise until resistance appears;
- Then you need to install a light chainsaw. In this case, the protrusion of the latter should be located in the recess of the installed coil;
- After that, you will need a screw and washer to secure the device;
- Next, the other end of the cord should be braided into a special socket;
- In the next step, you will need to insert the cable into the starter handle. To do this, you will need to tie a medium-sized knot at the end of the cord. If it is too small, the cable will slip, causing it to quickly wind up on the kick drum;
- Then you will need to release the loop inside the starter. Immediately after that, start turning the triggers clockwise. In this case, the cord does not need to be wound. Then the reel will need to be secured by hand, and the loop will be pulled out by the handle;
- Then you need to check the operation of the trigger;
- If the device works fine, all that’s left to do is install it on the tool and secure it with the three screws.
Repairing starters is not a difficult procedure if you follow the correct procedure. Typically, replacing the starter cord will not take more than 20 minutes. The main thing is to position the pulley and drum correctly in relation to each other. Otherwise, the trigger will not work.
Procedure for repairing the spring of the starter system:
- Remove the starter motor from the tool body.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Wrap rope around end of pulley to prevent mechanism from rolling.
- Insert the other end of the cord into the hole in the protective cover.
- Tighten the cord by 17-20 cm to check the rotation of the spring mechanism pulley.
- Check for a proper spring after removing and releasing the mechanism.
- Unscrew pulley on the alternator side by unscrewing the 3 mounting bolts.
- Remove the pulley and cord.
- Check parts for wear, damage or breakage. If the spring breaks are small, the defect can be repaired by welding.
How to repair the starter on a chainsaw
The cause of a malfunction in the chainsaw starting system may be:
Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw Starter Rewind Repair
- Drive pulley. This part is subject to high axial and radial loads, so it is advisable to check the pulley for cracks in the back of the housing before starting. If necessary, repair the part or replace it with a new one.
- Spring mechanism. This item must be replaced. It is also recommended to check the mounting locations for defects.
- Rope starting system. You should inspect the rope for wear. If necessary, replace the part and install it on the pulley.
The system for starting the diagnostic tool is as follows:
- Loosen the captive screws and remove the cover.
- The screw that secures the mechanism to the protective cover is loose.
- Carefully start the starter, remove the spring and clamp it.
- To check for defects and faults, remove the coil with a cable.
- Check the fuel system for water. If there is water in the system, the fuel fluid must be changed.
- Check the power source for overfilling. If so, unscrew and dry the spark plug, dismantle the starter, remove the air damper.
- Check the spark plug for sparks.
Chainsaw Repair. Replacing the Starter Recoil Spring (Poulan Part # 545008013)
Typical chainsaw starter breakdowns and repairs
To fix each of these problems with your own hands, you will need certain tools. Be sure to have a set of screwdrivers and a spare rope. Remove and inspect the chain saw starter in the following order:
- To find the cause of the breakdown starter with a chain saw must be removed. To do this, you need to unscrew the screws that hold the protective cover with the starter attached to it with a screwdriver;
- After removing the cover, it is necessary to carefully unscrew the screw by which the starter is attached to the protective cover;
- Then you should try to smoothly start the starter, to do this remove the spring and the clamps;
- Next, from the starter for the inspection of the coil with the rope removed.
After looking at it you may find a number of common faults. These include:
- Various damages to the pulley in the form of tears or cracks mainly in the back of the part. they interfere with the normal operation of the whole starter;
- Damage to the starter spring of the easy starter. in such cases, not only the spring itself, but also the place of its fixation can be defective. this is the most vulnerable part of the spring;
- Damaged the flywheel starter dog.
In any case any defective part should be completely replaced with a new spare part.
Rules of operation
According to the experts, there is a high probability of ruining the spring
appears during improper use. How to bend the spring on a chainsaw starter? Carver Promo PSG 45-15 chainsaw. To know how to work correctly with a manual starter is a lot of.
Today let’s take a look at the problems with chainsaw starter motor malfunctions
and we will fix them. This type of failure is not uncommon in heavy use of a chainsaw. And in our case. at logging sites, it happens systematically.
I had a chance to repair starters from a Ural chain saw, which we used to fell timber with while working at the timber processing center. I was still very young and was dealing with the construction for the first time, myself. The defect was caused by the breakage of the “tongue” of the spring, which is fixed in the drum (housing). I remember how I was covered with graphite grease (hands and face) trying to tame the “snake” (the metal band) that “fell apart” into rings and would not coil up))).I think those who assembled (twisted) the spring, remember how the hands cramp from the constant resistance of the spring. Made the repair worse and the metal cable. I have coped with the task, but it took me a lot of time and nerves. On global brands of chain saws, the design is not so complicated and capricious.
So the chain saw starter is designed for starting the tool. On gearless saws it is located in the side cover on the flywheel side (left side of the tool). This is a purely mechanical principle of operation. But in order to properly and efficiently make repairs to the starter, you need to understand the principle of its functionality (operation). I suggest the most careful consideration of this issue.
On top of the cover (body) of the starter handle is located in a special seating of the cover. The handle is connected to the cord, which in turn is wound around the pulley and the end of the cord is fastened to the pulley. When the operator (chainsaw user) pulls the crank up with a jerk, the cord unwinds along the pulley (spool) bringing it to the “centrifugal” condition. The pulley has a ratchet in its design (on the back side), which is a gear with teeth rounded to one side. The teeth of the gear (ratchet) mesh with the “doggies” that are located on the drum (flywheel) of the crankshaft. The crankshaft rotates and the fuel is compressed under the pressure of the piston and the “engine” head. Meanwhile, the operator lowers the crank, the return spring, which is attached to the reel (pulley) reels the cord to its original state (on the reel). The ratchet teeth, meanwhile, slip over the handwheel “dogs”, eliminating contact with them because they already rotate in the opposite direction. I remind you that ratchet teeth are rounded to one side. this is the principle that makes it possible to meshing with the splines of the crankshaft. Turning in the opposite direction prevents the pawl from catching.
But, as loggers know, the pulley can have a ratchet without the distinctive cogs. These are the classical chainsaws, which ratchet is either a steel “cup” of small diameter with side notches (protrusions), or plastic analogues (grips). For example, on the Stihl 361 the ratchet has “doggie” grips. It is these “notches”, “grips” or “pawls” that clutch to the splines “pawls” on the shaft. I think the principle of action of the doglegs is clear. when the shaft is accelerated in rotation, the doglegs slide over the ratchet.
Let’s take a look at the general starter diagram.
In addition the starter is available with a damping spring, the so-called “easy start
“Smart Start. On the chain saw with the “easy start” model, the letters “Smart Start” are added to the numbersе ” (e.g. Husqvarna 340e ). However, there are models of professional chainsaws without the letter “e”, as they do not have analogues without the presence of the SmartStart system. The starter cover, with the presence of a damper spring, looks more convex. By the way, damper springs break more often than the main spring.
While working on the shift, we encountered a similar problem. on a Husqvarna 340e “delimbing” machine
the spring burst (the equivalent Husqvarna 340 has no damper spring). And on the shift, every hour of road work, worked in a 10×4 pattern. There was no way to replace and fix the breakage. I had to saw off limbs periodically with a “horny” chainsaw and a lopper to avoid downtime of the tractor driver. The lopper had to get an axe. The next day we replaced the starter motor. it was a cover from a similar chain saw (I don’t remember the model, but not “Husqvarna 340”) that had the construction without a damping spring. Of course the cover didn’t fit perfectly, there was a gap at the top, but the seating fit. However, this was the only option to solve the problem, there were no specialty stores in that backwater, except the selp grocery store.
Signs of failure
So, you have a chain saw starter is “broken”. If the cord simply broke, then the malfunction is “obvious” and it should be replaced. Other typical signs of starter failure are as follows:
Chainsaw starter repair
The first thing to do is to wrap and remove the cover, perform a visual inspection. A broken chain saw starter can be different. a broken spring, a defect in the pulley (“coil”), worn cord.
Next, prepare the tools for repair. these are screwdrivers and round pliers. In the case of a breakage, a new cord will be needed. I think the lumberjacks have a cord cord for the starter in stock. If there is no possibility of buying the factory cord, you can replace the “power cord” with a clothesline, picking up the appropriate diameter.
In the case of a broken cord
We unscrew the starter motor, remove the clamp and the damper spring, if it’s on your brand of chain saw. We remove the pulley with the cord, untie or cut the cord knot, and take it out. Since the cord is torn, the spring is relieved and you don’t have to worry about it falling out of the cover.
The cord is torn, the spring is unloaded, you don’t have to worry about the spring falling out of the cover when you disassemble it.
Remove the fragment of the broken cord from the handle
How to repair a chainsaw starter with your own hands
Partner chain saw starter repair / cord breakage
Here’s how to repair a chain saw starter with your hands after a broken starter cord. Without a starter cord, the chainsaw is completely inoperable, there is no other way to start the tool. Repair considered by the example of a chainsaw Partner P350S, tricky reliable start this saw requires a minimum of 4-5 times to pull the starter cord to saw worked, so probably the first fault was a breakage in the cord. The cord does not tear right away, first the protective stocking of the cord strands breaks and prevents the saw from starting. It is better not to wait for all threads to break and repair the cord in advance. It is not necessary to invent anything, the repair should not cause difficulties, but the exact terms of assembly is obligatory. The step by step instruction with a scheme of actions with photos and video is given below.
Remove three screws fixing the starter cover. The included spark plug wrench with a straight screwdriver will work for this process, but it is better to use a normal tool to speed up the work.
Remove the starter. The chainsaw is equipped with a soft starter mechanism, located above the cord reel.
Remove screw that secures soft starter mechanism and starter coil. Be careful not to lose the washer!
Starter is removed Remove screw Screw is unscrewed
Soft-start mechanism Starter coil The coil is removed
Prepare a cord of suitable diameter and a length of 1,2-1,3 meters. For the repair used kapron clothesline :).
Melt the ends of the rope in the fire so that it doesn’t unravel.
Tie an intricate knot at one end. The knot should be larger in diameter, but it should not protrude when installed on the spool.
Tucking the cord into the spool hole. Do not wind the cord!
Slide the spool into place. There may be a mounting mistake here. The spool has two slits, one of which should get the hook of the coil spring. Fit the spool so that it is firmly seated and the catch engages in the slot. Check by turning the spool clockwise to see if the return force appears.
Assembly on the cord Cord Cord is fastened Spring protrusion
Install the soft starter. The shoulder of the mechanism should fit into the recess in the coil.
Screw on the set screw and washer.
Tuck the other end of the cord into the outlet.
Installing the soft starter The screw is screwed on The cord is let out
Tuck the cord into the trigger handle. Tie a big knot at the end of the rope. With a small knot there is a chance the cord will slip and the whole cord will get tangled in the starter and you will have to remove the starter again. Checking the reliability of the knot. See photo.
The cord in the starter knob The knob on the cord Screw the spiral
The most important moment! Let the cord loop inside the starter and start turning the starter mechanism clockwise without winding the cord! For this saw you need to make at least five revolutions. Fix the coil by hand. Tie the knot by the handle outwards. Holding the cord and the mechanism, let the cord wind up on the spool. See video.
Reinstall the starter motor and fasten it with the three screws. The repair is done.
Repairing a broken or damaged cord using this step-by-step guide takes about 15 minutes, and is much faster and less expensive than calling a service center.
If the instruction helped you, tell us about it in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
Block: 2/2 | Number of characters: 3461
Types of chainsaws
Depending on the type of use and, accordingly, the technical characteristics possessed by different models of chainsaws, they are qualified as follows:
Domestic. designed for light-duty work and simple operations. They do not weigh much, have compact sizes, are easy in service and operation. Duration of use of such tools. up to 1.0 hour a day.
Semi-professional. used in various fields of construction, in different spheres of human activity. Are a universal type of this type of tool. Daily use up to 10.0 hours.
Professional. used for industrial volumes of sawn timber production, continuous operating modes (up to 16.0 hours a day) in a year-round cycle of operation.
Design and principle of chain saw starter
All types of chainsaws, both Chinese and European-made, are equipped with starters of identical design and operating principle. The universal design of starters allows to apply these devices on branded chainsaws, as well as on semi-official tools, supplied from the Celestial Empire. It is important to note only that some distinctive features have domestic production tools.
The starter for a chainsaw is an uncomplicated mechanism that consists of:
The principle of operation of such a device is also quite simple. When pulling the handle, which is connected through a cable to the drum of the ratchet mechanism, it moves. The drum when moving enters into meshing with splines of another drum, which is located on the shaft. The saw’s crankshaft is thereby manually moved and makes several revolutions. As soon as the handle returns to its original position, aided by the return spring, the spline connection is lost, causing the shaft to stop. With each movement of the crankshaft the amount of fuel-air mixture in the cylinder increases, which eventually contributes to its ignition.
The more power the tool has, the more jerks the starter has to make to start the engine. For acceleration of the return of the drum to its original position is responsible return spring, which is made with the use of steel with a high degree of elasticity.
Over time, if you use the tool continuously, you may encounter problems with engine starting, or more precisely, with the starter’s operation. If these problems occur the starter can always be repaired. If you know the principle and structure of the starter, then to carry out its repair with your own hands will not be very difficult.
How to repair the starter chain saw
Today we will consider the problems with chain saw starter and we will fix them. This kind of failure is not uncommon in intensive use of a chain saw. And in our case. at logging sites, this happens systematically.
I had a chance to repair starters from a Ural chainsaw, which we used to cut wood with while working at the forestry. I was very young and understood the construction for the first time, by myself. The malfunction was caused by a broken “tongue” of the spring, which is fixed in the drum (housing).
I remember how I was covered with graphite grease (hands and face) trying to tame the “snake” (metal band), which “fell apart” in rings and did not want to coil up))).I think, who assembled (twisted) the spring, remembers the cramp in the palms from the constant resistance of the spring. The repair was aggravated by the metal cord.
Nevertheless I succeeded in the task, though it took me a lot of time and nerves. On chain saws of world brands, the construction is not so complicated and capricious.
So the chain saw starter motor is designed to start the tool. On gearless saws it is located in the side cover on the handwheel side (left side of the tool). This is a purely mechanical principle. But in order to properly and efficiently make repairs to the starter, you need to understand the principle of its functionality (operation). I suggest that this issue be carefully considered.
On top of the cover (body) of the starter is a handle in a special seating place on the cover. The crank is connected to a cord, which in turn is wound around the pulley and the end of the cord is secured to the pulley. When the operator (chainsaw user) pulls the handle up with a jerk, the cord unwinds along the pulley (spool), bringing it into a “centrifugal” state.
The pulley has in its design (on the back side) a ratchet. a gear with rounded to one side of the teeth. Tooth gear (ratchet) meshes with “pawls”, which are located on the drum (flywheel) of the crankshaft. The crankshaft rotates and the fuel is compressed by the pressure of the piston and the head of the “engine”.
The operator, meanwhile, lowers the handle, the return spring, which is attached to the spool (pulley), winds up the cord to its original state (on the spool). The ratchet teeth, meanwhile, slip over the flywheel “dogs”, eliminating contact with them, because they already rotate in the opposite direction.
I remind that teeth of the ratchet have rounding to one side. exactly this principle allows to make engagement with splines. “dogs” of the crankshaft. Turning in the opposite direction prevents engagement with the dogs.
But, as lumberjacks know, the pulley can have a ratchet without the characteristic teeth. gears. These are classical chainsaws-profi, which ratchet is either steel “cup” of small diameter with side notches (protrusions) or plastic analogues (claws).
On a Stihl 361, for example, the ratchet has the “doggy-style” grips. It is these “notches”, “grips” or “pawls” that are used to clutch the spline “pawls” on the shaft.
I think the principle of action of the splines “dogs” is clear. when the shaft is accelerated in rotation, the “dogs” skip over the ratchet.
Let’s take a look at the overall diagram of the starter.
There is also a starter with damper spring, the so-called “easy start” Smart Start. On chain saw models with “easy start” the letters “e” are added to the numbers (for example, Husqvarna 340e).
However, there are models of professional chainsaws without the letter “e”, as they have no counterparts without the SmartStart system. the starter cover, with the damper spring, looks more convex.
By the way, damper springs break more often than the main spring.
While working on a shift we faced a similar problem. the Husqvarna 340e “lopper” had a broken spring (its Husqvarna 340 counterpart does not have a damper spring). And on the shift, every hour of road work, worked in a 10×4 pattern.
Replacing and fixing the breakage was not an option. I had to “horned” chainsaw and crosscutters periodically saw off limbs, so there was no downtime at the tractor driver. The lopper had to pick up an axe.
The next day we replaced the starter. put the cover from a similar chainsaw (I don’t remember the model, but not “Husqvarna 340”), which had a design without damper spring. Of course, the cover did not fit perfectly, there was a gap at the top, but the seating fit.
However, this was the only option for the problem, there were no specialty stores in the backwoods, except the selp grocery store.
Signs of trouble
So, you have a chain saw starter. If the cord simply broke, then the malfunction is “obvious” and should be replaced. Other typical signs of starter failure are as follows:
Chainsaw starter repair
The first thing to do is to twist and remove the cover, perform a visual inspection. A chain saw starter breakdown can be different. a broken spring, a defective pulley (“coil”), a frayed crank cord.
Next, we prepare tools for repair. these are screwdrivers and round pliers. A new cord will be needed in the event of a rip. I think that lumberjacks have some twine for the starter cord in stock. If it is not possible to buy the factory cord, you can replace the “binder” with a clothesline of the appropriate diameter.
In case of a cord break
Remove the starter mounting screw, take out the clamp and the damper spring, if your make of chain saw has one. Dismantle the pulley with the cord, untie or cut the cord knot and remove it. Since the cord is torn, the spring is discharged, and, in principle, you can not fear the spring falling out of the cover.
The cord is torn and the spring is unloaded, you need not worry about the spring falling out of the cover during disassembly.
Removing a piece of the torn cord from the handle
We take the new cord, pick up the appropriate length (based on the length of the old broken cord), divide it, melt the ends, so that they do not “run out”.
Why do you need a recoil starter?
WARNING! An absolutely simple way to reduce fuel consumption was found! Don’t believe it? A mechanic with 15 years of experience didn’t believe it either, until he tried it. And now he saves 35,000 a year on gasoline!
The electric starter is used as the main starter. But do not forget that if the battery malfunctions, you can not start the equipment with the help of an electric starter. That’s what the manual option was provided for, as a backup.
A prime example of the use of a manual starter is portable power plants. It is easier to use a manual starter on them, because it makes it easier to start the engine and operate the generator.
How to fix the starter on a chainsaw
The cause of malfunction of the chainsaw starting system can be:
- Drive pulley. This part is subjected to high axial and radial loads, so it is recommended that you inspect the pulley for damage and cracks on the back of the housing before you start. If necessary repair the part or replace it with a new one.
- Spring mechanism. If it has lost its properties or has cracks or bursts, it is necessary to replace this element. It is also recommended to inspect the attachment points for defects.
- The rope starting system. Inspect the rope for wear and damage. If necessary replace the part and install it on the pulley.
Diagnose tool starting system as follows:
- Unscrew the fixing screws and remove the cover.
- Unscrew the screw that attaches the mechanism to the protective cover.
- Smoothly start the starter by removing the spring and clamps.
- Dismantle the cable reel for wear and defects.
- Check the fuel system for the presence of water. If there is water inside the system, the fuel fluid must be replaced.
- Inspecting the power unit for fuel overflow. In this case, you need to unscrew and dry the spark plug, pull the starter, removing the air damper.
- Check the spark plug for spark.
See ” How to make a snowmobile and other homemade tools from a Druzhba chainsaw
Replacing the cord
In order to make a cord replacement, the following tools will be required:
Replacement of the starter cord is performed as follows:
- You need to unscrew the fastening screws that hold the side cover, using a screwdriver.
- Then remove the starter from the body of the tool.
- After that, it is necessary to turn the cover and make an inspection.
- Then dismantle the clamp and spring.
- Untie the knot on the cord.
- Pull out the pulley, on which the cord is wound. Remove the cord and replace it with a new one.
- Then put the pulley in place and tie the rope into a knot. Reinstall the clamp and spring.
- After that, tighten the cover with the fixing screws.
- At the end, put the starter back in place and screwed the mounting screws on.
Repair of spring
Procedure for repairing the starter system spring:
- Remove the starter from the tool body.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Wind the cord around the end of the pulley to avoid turning the mechanism.
- Insert the other end of the cord through the cover opening.
- Pull the cord at 17-20 cm to check the rotation of the pulley spring.
- Check the operation of the spring after pulling and releasing the mechanism.
- Unscrew the pulley circle from the side of the alternator by removing the 3 mounting bolts.
- Remove the pulley and cord.
- Check the condition of the parts for wear and damage and breaks. If the spring break is small, the defect can be repaired by welding.
How to place the spring
To install a new spring, proceed as follows