How to attach a stretch ceiling baguette to plasterboard
Ways of fixing a suspended ceiling on plasterboard walls
It is clear that the vast majority of schemes of wall cladding with gypsum boards involves the use of a framework made of timber or metal profile. Sometimes the material is simply glued to the walls, but in this case the frame frame frame of the decorative trim can be attached directly to the plaster or brickwork. This solution is rare, the partitions inside the room are also usually made frame.
Therefore, the central problem is the choice of scheme, which allows safe and secure attachment of the suspended ceiling to the plasterboard partition. This can be done in two ways:
- Fasten the supporting frame on the walls of plasterboard with additional braces on the ceiling surface;
- Use a capping profile, board or bar, sewn under the drywall cladding. The tab can be attached to the frame or even just to the rough slab.
The first case can be considered a special variant, since the baguettes can be attached only a short distance from the upper edge of the wall cladding. The second option is considered universal, as under this scheme you can easily assemble a ceiling construction of any complexity. For example, with the help of a bar and profile, it is easy enough to attach the baguettes of the stretch ceiling on two or even a multilevel version of the ceiling finish.
How to fix baguettes with ceiling support
This solution is resorted to, as a rule, in exceptional cases. For example, the wall lining of gypsum plasterboard is finished, and the embedding strip or profile under the material is forgotten to install.
Frames with push-pull props
In this case it is necessary to mount the baguette with the installation of supporting self-made brackets. The technology looks as follows:
- Cut blanks from a steel ceiling profile. Each piece is mounted on the baguette with a step of 20 cm;
- Baguette profile is placed on the table, fix and bend the supporting heels of the brackets so that they are in the same plane;
- Fasten the baguettes to the wall, align them and fix the supporting parts of bracket-holders to the surface of the rough slab with plugs.
Important! Baguettes with h-profile are used for installation.
General scheme of fastening with h-baguettes
The presence of a high back wall allows you to mount the frame frame frame without damaging and damage to the harpoon of the decorative fabric. Other types of profiles are not suitable for this purpose.
Once the frame is assembled, you can lay the canvas in the usual way. It is believed that the method of fixing on braces leads to a loss of height by 12-15 cm.
Universal fastening option
In order to properly fix the frame, you must accurately determine the distance from the rough ceiling to the horizontal marking of the baguette line. If the suspended decor is planned to mount as high as possible, you can use an additional wall profile, sewn to the ceiling slab. This will greatly simplify the preparation for the installation of the baguette and the decorative cladding itself.
Stretch Ceiling Installation
Important! Sometimes builders simply try to attach the baguette to the studs or the upper slat of the metal frame, on which the plasterboard cladding is assembled. You can do this only if the design provides reinforcement at the expense of additional vertical wall P-profiles.
The upper part of the frame of a plasterboard partition must be reinforced
An attempt to simply attach the baguette trim on a conventional frame, as a rule, ends in the formation of cracks at the joints of sheets of wall cladding.
The technology for installing stretch ceilings on drywall walls
The ability to install vinyl or fabric sheeting depends on how and how the drywall sheeting is laid on the walls and ceiling. Perform the installation of stretch ceilings on plasterboard walls is quite possible if two conditions are met:
- Plasterboard on the back side of the cladding must be reinforced with additional framing to compensate for the horizontal tensile force from the stretching cloth or vinyl film;
- Baguettes or support profile can be attached only through the plasterboard to the embedded part.
For your information! If you try to embed aluminum baguettes with self-tapping screws only in the body of the drywall cladding, then, no matter how thick the drywall sheet is, over time the baguette will simply tear away from the wall.
With this method of fixing, there is a risk of splitting the plasterboard
Neither embedded plugs, glued into the wall cladding, nor pre-stitched wooden plank on the front surface will help. If the self-tapping screw is not fixed on the back side of the sheet with a metal or wooden batten, it is simply not physically possible to hold it in the soft and crumbling gypsum board.
How to make a combined two-tier system
Using a standard wall profile, you can effortlessly assemble a two-level ceiling construction. It is clear that along the installation line of the baguette it is necessary to fix an additional reinforcing profile.
The simplest diagram of the ceiling in two levels
The metal frame itself remains too malleable to fasten the stretched canvas.
Baguettes must be placed on a reinforcing profile
Placed sheets increase the rigidity of the structure several times, so you can mount the baguette bar after installing vertical sections.
Gypsum sheet is often used in multilevel stretch ceilings as a material for framing structures for finishing with film or stretch fabric.
Making a plasterboard insert under the canvas
The cam method
This method is so called because of the fastening panel used, which consists of “cams and a spring. Installation in this situation is carried out as follows:
- we assemble with the set periodicity “cams”;
- press the vinyl fabric between them with a putty knife. At the same time, one of the “cams should be pressed;
- After pulling the canvas, the squeezed “cam returns to its original state;
- When the cloth is tensioned, the movable part of the “cam” begins to press more firmly against the fixed element, thus securing the vinyl material.
This method requires a low height of the fastening element, which allows considerable space and useful area to be saved. The distance from the base ceiling can be only 8 mm. The cam method is often used when creating multilevel decorative constructions. In addition, it is especially often used for the installation of a suspended ceiling on plasterboard walls. In this way you can very easily pull the fabric between different shapes of plasterboard. As you can see, in the presence of plasterboard walls, the stretch fabric on the ceiling is installed in several ways. The choice of fastening method should be based on the type of ceiling structure planned, as well as its complexity. Following these simple instructions, you can easily carry out all the necessary installation work and eventually get a gorgeous ceiling in your home.
Methods of fixing the tensioned canvas
At the moment there are several popular technologies. Each option is suitable for a particular situation and has its own characteristics.
This is quite a labor-intensive method. At the initial stage will need to take the exact dimensions of the room, taking into account all the shaped elements, which will be attached to the components and the canvas. Allowed deviation from the norm. 1%, with a temperature expansion tolerance of 7%.
The blade is treated at the production stage: a special arc-shaped element (harpoon) is welded to the edge of the material. This explains the need for accurate measurement of all parameters, because making adjustments at the time of attachment will be impossible.
Harpoon system is considered quite reliable and relatively inexpensive, but in the case of damage to the cloth to quickly repair it will be problematic
Please note! For fixing directly to the surface of the GPB is used plastic or aluminum profile.
- The first necessary to attach the baguette for stretch ceilings. It is set along the perimeter of the room according to the markings. The indentation formed should take into account irregularities and parameters of the lighting fixtures, the minimum size from the base to the leaf is 3.5 cm. Fixing is carried out on dowels.
- The wall, from which the process will begin, is defined. Using a putty knife, the edge with a harpoon is slipped into the profile and caught by the ledge inside the baguette. Make sure that the element is in place.
- It is necessary to stretch the fabric to the opposite wall. To do this, the material is heated with a heat gun, and then the other edge is also tucked into the profile.
- The other sides are fixed in the same way. With a shaped ceiling, the reinforcement is carried out sequentially.
- The final step is the installation of the plinth and ceiling plinth.
To avoid warping, the installation of the cloth, equipped with a harpoon, must be done quickly, so for such works involves a team of craftsmen After cooling the product takes a permanent form.
A simpler method of fixing, compared to the previous one, has a lower cost and does not require special preparation. For the work does not need accurate measurements, since the cloth is used with a reserve of 150-200 mm.
After full preparation of the substrate, the structure is installed:
- Profile is mounted to the plasterboard. To do this, self-tapping screws, reinforced with special dowels, are used. To exclude misalignments, the marking is carried out with a laser level, taking into account all the nuances.
- Once the mounting bar is fixed around the perimeter of the room, the edge of the foil is fastened with a staple.
- Using a heat gun cloth is stretched to the opposite wall, where a similar installation. Cut off the surplus material with a knife.
- To hide the gap, a special plinth is installed, which plays the role of a plug and forms a smooth transition from the ceiling to the plasterboard surface.
Scheme of the device of the stud tensioning system This method is not particularly difficult, so it is the most common. But it is a simplified technology, which leads to disadvantages: pulling the edge out of the profile and the inability to eliminate base defects with the retention of the tensioned coating.
Attention! A similar domestic method. wedge-shaped, for which a slightly different structure of profiles is used.
To fix a stretch ceiling on a plasterboard wall in this way, you don’t need complex fabric preparation. A special product is used for the operation, which is more reliable. The main difference to the previous versions lies in the profile: it has two interlocking elements, resembling cams. Due to this structure it is possible to minimize the indentation from the base up to 10-15 mm.
The structure is attached as follows:
- After the marking is made, the mounting strips are installed. They are fixed strictly on one level.
- The edge of the fabric is rolled into the profile and firmly clamped.
- The heated material is stretched and secured on the opposite side.
This system provides a nearly invisible gap between the fabric and the adjacent wall. If you choose a certain technology, you can achieve a tight fit of the fabric to the walls without a visible joint, but this excludes the possibility of subsequent removal and reuse of the material.
Methods of tension cloth fastening
Before you begin installation, you must determine the level of the ceiling. The smallest recommended distance from the base ceiling plane to the plumb line is 35mm. Before installing the lighting fixtures must provide for the length of the base of the lighting fixture to the obtained result must be added 15 mm for the connection of lighting fixtures. Before fixing a stretch ceiling to plasterboard, consider methods of installation to determine the best version of the structure:
Harpoon method for stretch ceilings
Let’s look at the principles and details of such an installation:
- This mounting option involves accurate measurement of the ceiling plane. This is necessary to repeat all the contour lines of the ceiling plane, so that the perimeter of the canvas can be welded fixture (harpoon). The so-called fixed bar is welded in a special factory environment. Therefore, the dimensions of the stretch ceiling must be calculated accurately (see the section “Adjustment of the stretch ceiling”).How to do the calculation of the stretch ceiling, and why it is necessary ) and be less by 7% of the stretching state.
- The accuracy of the assumption of 1%. Welding the harpoon strips is equal to the period of manufacturing of the stretch ceiling.
- Before fixing the stretch ceiling to the plasterboard, a plasterboard framework is installed. Then an aluminum (or rigid plastic) fastening strip is mounted to its shape. In the given bar and is inserted one end of the cloth, then the material is heated to 70 degrees (heat gun), and the opposite part of the vinyl fabric is inserted with the help of a spatula. In the same order is mounted all the canvas on the perimeter. After the canvas is fully installed, using a harpoon, the canvas is snapped into the bar and fixed.
- Crevices in the tensioning material disappear immediately after heating. the webbing soon takes on a room temperature. After all the procedures, the baguette is mounted in the mounting profile. The decorative element allows you to hide the entire fastening system. If it is necessary to make a fastening of the stretch ceiling to the wall of plasterboard, the bar is fastened in the metal profiles, where the plasterboard is installed.
Tip: There are cases where it is impossible to determine where the profile is, and the fastening bar is installed directly on the drywall. To screw the self-tapping screws, it is recommended to use moles for drywall.
Installing a stretch ceiling harpoon method
Dutch assembly, or hook-and-loop fastening method
This option of fastening work allows you to simplify the task of installing stretch ceilings and is much easier than the previous one.The fasteners are not soldered to the ceiling, so there is no need to send the material to the factory. One end of the blade is pushed into the mounting bar and secured with the other bar. Fastening element and serves as a decorative insertion and spacer at the same time. This method resembles an embroidery fixture.The hookless method allows you to do the work with your own hands. After simple assembly the remaining ends that stick out of the decor strip can simply be trimmed with a construction knife. This method is most often used when making shaped ceilings and adjusting the degree of tension of the material is necessary.
Cam fastening of the blade
The name of the mounting method came from the mounting plate itself, which consists of cams, and one of them is a spring. The vinyl material should be pushed with a trowel between the cams, one of them (the upper) is pushed away. After the tool is pulled, the upper cam retracts to its previous position. When the webbing is stretched, the moving part presses harder against the fixed part and secures the tensioned webbing. the height of the fixing profile is low, so that useful space can be saved. This method allows you to install the ceiling at a distance of 8 mm. from the base. In addition, this method of stretch ceilings is most often used in multilevel decorative structures. Is it possible to mount a stretch ceiling to drywall by this method? Of course you can, as on this device you can insert small islands of tensioned canvas, stretching between the various figures GLK. After familiarizing ourselves with the methods of attachment of vinyl material, let’s consider what instructions are used to attach vinyl canvas to drywall.
Installing the covering
Now it is necessary to determine the material and choose the fastening method. In any work, there are rules and features to follow.
Scheme of fixing stretch ceilings
Marking the ceiling for a suspended ceiling
The basic scheme of attachment of the system of stretch ceilings is quite simple:
- The preparation of the base ceiling is performed;
- On the walls, a horizon marking is made. this is an important step, t.к. On it depends on the appearance of the ceiling covering;
- Along the perimeter of the plane it is necessary to fasten a special fastening profile for the tensioned canvas. It can be made of plastic or metal. Fixing spacing is 150-200 mm. Here it is important to make sure that the baguette was fastened securely. it carries the main load from the ceiling;
- Next, the stretched fabric is suspended from the ceiling for the corners and heated with a special fan. a heat gun;
- The fabric must be stretched only when heated up. this condition does not apply only to fabric ceiling systems;
- once installed, the surface will be stretched as it cools. At this time, small irregularities go away and are smoothed out.
The final stage is the installation of decorative skirting boards along the perimeter of the ceiling.
Mounting stretch ceiling to plasterboard
Initially, the construction is constructed of plasterboard, inside of which the installers stretch the ceiling. It is installed around the perimeter of the room and resembles a kind of box. Can have different shapes.
All elements are equipped with light fixtures of different shapes and power. They are switched in series and can illuminate the room with different light. The ceiling guide profile is attached to this construction.
Article about how to level a ceiling with plaster yourself.
Overview of ceiling soundproofing techniques, review of materials. View here.
And here is an instruction on how to paint ceilings.