How to choose a bar and a chain for a chainsaw
CHAINSAW CHAIN AND GUIDE BAR SIZE CHART
When choosing a chain for a chainsaw, you should pay special attention to its quality. Not only the frequency of sharpening that will be required after the job, but also how long the tool itself will last depends on it. The fact is that because of a poor-quality chain, the chainsaw is much faster out of order. Bad sharpening, angular misalignment and other nuances increase pressure on engine that results in its overheating. And it’s just that working speed with a bad chain is noticeably slower, and the effort involved is increased at the same time.
The chain is a module you should not skimp on. A chain producer who cares about his name and reputation won’t make a product of bad quality. But everything can be compared. For example, there are some little-known companies that produce the best quality, but they don’t have aggressive marketing, so not many people know about them. Our rating includes firms of all categories, both little-known and well-known brands. The best chainsaw chain manufacturers you can trust, that guarantee quality and longevity.
Original or Imitation?
First of all, you have to deal with probably the most difficult aspect of the choice: to pay a lot of money for a chain from such famous brands as STIHL, Husqvarna or Oregon, or to save money on consumables, giving preference to a less promoted manufacturer. As much as we would like, it is impossible to give an unambiguous answer here. it all depends on your personal abilities, goals and objectives:
- As a rule, brand-name chains are of a higher quality and come with various forms of know-how, e.g. a special tooth shape. In practice, this results in longer service life and better results for complex cuts. So if you have a lot of difficult work to do (stringy or wet wood, lots of knots, etc.). д.) or if you have to make not straight cuts, it’s better to use brand-name machines.
- Analogue chains are appealing thanks to their lower price, but they are generally less robust and less complex. If you use the saw only periodically to perform small amounts of simple works, for example, for sawing apple trees in the countryside, then it may be quite enough and headsets from the budget brands.
Take into account the nature, complexity, and scope of the tasks for which you are buying a chain. In most cases this rule is sufficient to make a rational choice. Of course, branded products are preferable. but the decision is always up to you.
Pro tips for chainsaw operation and maintenance
Experienced experts have formulated several factors that prevent saw chains from reaching their full design life and lead to increased wear:
- insufficient lubrication causes increased friction and overheating of the parts;
- Worn drive gears;
- too much chain tension;
- use of low-quality lubricants not recommended by the manufacturer.
It is recommended to have several interchangeable chains for each saw. This way the cut is not interrupted for the sharpening of blunt tools in the sawmill. Also makes it possible to choose the most suitable chain for different sawing conditions.
The quality of budget and brand chains is very different. Many owners of cheap home chainsaws prefer to run their machines with the better brands STIHL, Husqvarna and Oregon. Unofficial rating shows increase in consumer demand for similar products of Hammer and PowerSharp brands.
Standard bar length of a 2-2.5 l domestic power saw.с. is 40-45 cm. The size of high-performance counterparts of professional class reaches up to 70 cm.
Higher price level of brand-name bars and chains is compensated by high quality of complex sawing jobs, increased service life, stability of working characteristics during the whole time of the lifetime appointed by the manufacturer.
Number of chainrings in a chainsaw
In some situations, chain saw owners can be a little confused about all the markings on the chainsaws. in the end it leads to unfavorable purchases. Chain for a chainsaw can be bought in a handyman store. Number of chain links. Chainsaw selection is often determined by only a few basic criteria, one of which is the chain pitch. This value helps to determine the future possibilities of the machine, especially its cutting speed, and is also a good guide to match the power level of the motor. How chains are marked? Let’s try to understand!
Pitch and Size
The pitch is the intermediate distance between the three rivets which are placed side by side. To correctly calculate the chain pitch, you should measure the distance between the axes of the three rivets placed near yourself. This kind of formula is as follows:
Where, L is the pitch length, which in chainsaws characterizes the degree of distance between the two teeth relative to each other;
S is the value of the gap between the two outermost rivets of the three.
The pitch a is also probably equal to the distance between two adjacent shanks.
The basic principle: The greater the distance between the teeth, the deeper they will cut into the material to be sawn
By increasing the chain pitch it is possible to increase the performance of the chainsaw. the higher the pitch of the chain, the more force can be applied to rotate the drive sprocket. The higher the pitch of the chain, the greater the motor power can be, not just the physical effort required to pull it when sawing materials.
Chainsaw chain pitch. Table
Based on the pitch, chains today are divided into several subtypes:
As you can see from the table, the pitch of the chain is indicated as a regular number (3/4) and not as a decimal number like “0,375”. Number of links in a chainsaw with a bar length of 14 in a given chain. Such a division was caused by the similarity of decimal values. “0.325” not “0.375” because the one-digit difference created confusion when picking up a saw. That is why at one time it was decided to establish two different designations: with decimal fractions and not with regular fractions.
The pitch is stamped in the area of the special sawing depth limiter on each tooth.
The advantages of large-pitch circuits include:
However, it should be taken into account that a wide kerf requires the use of a more powerful motor, which consequently increases the resistance considerably.
The advantages of small pitch chains are:
Achieved by the majority of teeth not small spacing at them.
All known chain classification is made up of peculiarities of their marking based on the pitch, which is designed for specific needs and not produced for a specific power of electrical equipment. For a better understanding of each type of pitch, they should be considered separately.
Basic parameters of circuits
Circuit marking implies the following parameters:
- “0.325” is the most common non-minimum pitch size, which is used in semi-professional non-household chainsaws with low power. Standard value of power under such a step varies in time from “0,325” to “3l.с.”Alas, not higher than “3.5l.с”. During the work with this type of chain goes more smoothly, comfortably, without “rips.
- “0,375” (“3/8”). is applied to chainsaws with power of “4l.с”. This chain is used when cutting medium to thick wood.
The pitch has an effect on the accuracy and quality of cut. When it is not important to have a good cut when working with a chainsaw, precision cutting is of utmost importance. Therefore, it is necessary to buy for a low-power chain saw in the world. Chains with number of chain links. For this purpose it is necessary to take into account the dependence of the pitch for cutting wood on the markings made beforehand.
Chains for chainsaws, their types and sizes
chainsaws,types and sizes. Here the video, we’ll talk about not look at nasepi, learn their types, sizes, so.
- Thickness of leading links (tails). During the chainsaw‘s operation, the chain is subjected to most of the chain’s loads. With this in mind, another key characteristic of a chainsaw is the thickness of the link elements that fit into the grooves of the bar. This parameter also determines the total thickness of the fastening links, which is measured by means of a normal caliper. The standard link thicknesses are:
- “1.1 mm” (“0.043”) and “1.3 mm” (“0,05”). are used in the production of entry-level chains designed for small amounts of work. Often with such values of link thickness the pitch of the chain is “0,325”, which implies low loads of non-sparing operation. Therefore, they are used in domestic not semi-professional machines;
- “1.5 mm” (“0,058”). the most common thickness value in the chainsaw trade. The number of chain links of a chainsaw chain must be read from the products in the chainsaw category. This value is able to provide safe operation with a pitch of “3/8”. Chains with a thickness of 1.5 mm are not designed for professional sawing;
- “1,6 mm” (0,063) and “2,0 mm” (0,08). designed for the most complicated works. Metal for such chains is made of special grades of steel, which is characterized by high strength properties.
READ STIHL 180 chainsaw No fuel supply
The thicker the link thickness and the wider the bar groove, the higher the quality of a chainsaw is considered, because it can withstand heavy loads.
- Depth of cut is a feature of the manufactured chains and is not characterized by the height of profile of cutting teeth. Measured as oil by the gap between the stops not cutting the top edge. In the current market segment, both high-profile (0.762 mm) and not low-profile (0.635 mm) types of chain products are usually available.
How to find out which headset is on the chainsaw
There are several ways to determine the type of chain you have on your chainsaw. If you buy a new chain, read the chain type and size in the owner’s manual or in the owner’s manual data sheet. If the saw has been in operation for a while and you don’t know if the headset has been changed during operation, you can determine the type of chain by doing the following steps:
- Remove the headset and count the number of links.
- Measure the width of the shank with a caliper.
- Visually inspect the type of cutting tooth. Sharp side edges. chisel, smooth edges. chipper.
- Measure chain pitch with a ruler or caliper.
Important! Incorrect measurements may cause the new chain not to fit into the chainsaw bar or to have a different pitch than the sprockets, so you should be more careful when measuring. Another option for determining dimensions, which does not require the use of a measuring tool, is to look at the markings
Shank width is shown on the outside of the limiter prong. The values for the width on the prong are shown without one, i.e.е. if the number 3 is on the prong, shank width is 1.3 mm, the other dimensions are the same
Another way to determine dimensions, which does not require the use of a measuring tool, is to look at the marking. The shank width is located on the outside of the stop teeth. Width values on the tooth are shown without one, t.е. if the number 3 is on the shank, it means the shank width is 1.3 mm, and the other dimensions are the same.
Some manufacturers, like Oregon, put a model number on the shank of their products. Knowing the number, you can easily identify the characteristics of the chain by searching the information about the model in the catalog.
How to use the table?
The left column shows the most common chainsaw models, the next columns show the leading criteria. If you find the right modification of the tool, you can find out the necessary data on its sawing part in a few seconds and quickly resolve any disputed situation.
The chainsaw chain performs an important function in operation. This is what determines the performance and cutting speed to a large extent.
Choosing the right saw headset for a low-powered chainsaw can significantly increase its operating characteristics. In this article we will consider the types of chains and their main parameters.
How to rule out the possible risks of buying counterfeit tires?
In the information field there are signs, by which it is not difficult to distinguish the original branded chainsaw from the most reliable fake. As for the bars, their advantages and disadvantages show themselves directly in operation.
In the home appliances market about 15% of the total sales volume of chainsaw parts are third-rate counterfeit of unknown origin, which develops the standard resource in half at best.
It is economically unprofitable and unsafe to operate a chainsaw complete with a fake tire and chain. A large proportion of injury hazards are created by the use of tire and chain counterfeit.
You can buy a quality and durable brand-name tire of the required model without significant risks at brand outlet or representative office of a licensed dealer company. In the absence of such an opportunity, you should use the services of a solid, trustworthy online store.
In any standard chain of the highest quality all cutting links own 2 tails. The cutting teeth are usually made of durable materials and almost all determine the overall price. Despite the higher price, it is better to choose a chain on the basis of its properties. At the same time, you should consider cheaper options, especially if the chainsaw is used seldom.
In order to reduce the chain price they can be made with skipping or half-skipping of the cutting links. With half-waybetween, an extra connecting link is fitted in every 2nd pair of cutter teeth. Where skipping is used, an extra link is inserted after each cutting tooth. In a standard chain, the number of cutting teeth is 50% of all tails, in a semi-skip chain it is 40% and in a skip chain it is 37.5%. Naturally, the load on the cutting teeth increases and they fail much more quickly.
information: Gasoline Saw Ural 2 Electron carburetor adjustment
In any standard chain of the highest quality, all cutting links have 2 tails. The cutting teeth are generally made of durable materials and determine the overall price for almost everything. How to choose a bar for a chainsaw. Description of causes of overheating and sideways drifting while sawing.
In order to reduce chain price they can be made with skipping or half-skipping of cutting links. With a semi-starter, additional connecting links are installed in every 2nd pair of cutting teeth. When skipping, additional links are installed after each cutting tooth. In a standard chain the number of cutting teeth is 50% of all tails, in a semi skip it is 40% and in a skip it is 37.5%. Naturally, the load on the cutting teeth increases and they fail much more quickly.