How to clean the igniter of a Bosch gas boiler
How to remove and clean the igniter?
Tests for contamination of the ignition tube: the ignition flame spontaneously goes out; a weak tip of the flame rises, not moving to the burner because of insufficient gas pressure (if the pressure of the main gas or cylinder has weakened, the igniter has nothing to do).
Cleaning the igniter stabilizes ignition, prevents tearing and sooting of the heat exchanger grills
Note: Before you begin cleaning a clogged Bosch gas boiler igniter, be sure to double check that the unit’s gas valve is closed!
Tools needed: flat (minus) screwdriver or pliers with curved “lips” (pliers). Carefully remove the ignition tube without pushing the exchanger shell through.
- Upper extremity. It is necessary to pull upwards the bracket that holds the flare tube flared edge on the end of the burner. Slightly unlock the bracket, then lift it with pliers or pry it up with a screwdriver until it is completely removed;
- Lower extremity. It is necessary to squeeze the edges of the bracket fixing the igniter;
- Removing the igniter. Once the ends of the tube have been released, all that remains is to lift it up and pull it out by moving it toward you.”.
To clean the ignition tube cavity you need a piece of wire which is not too tough and has a piece of lint free cloth (e.g. a microfiber cloth) attached to it. Pull a homemade “brush” inside the tube, then tap it lightly and blow.
The cigarette lighter tube is aluminum and it is quite easy to crumple. Therefore, cleaning and especially tapping should be done carefully, without excessive strain
also clean the tungsten spring on the underside of the tube. This will ensure quick ignition from the piezo element. Finally, the nozzle at the lower connection point of the ignition tube and the electrode in front of the upper tube outlet must be cleaned. They should be wiped down with a microfiber or other lint-free cloth.
Installing a clean igniter into the heater is done in reverse order of disassembly. If the cleaning has been carried out effectively, the flame of the ignition tube will be practically invisible.
How to remove the cover of a Bosch water heater?
The decorative and protective housing of the column is easy to remove:
- You need to loosen the round adjustment knobs by pulling them towards you;
- Move the rectangular gas adjustment knob to the housing cavity (ignition position). It should be noted that not every model of the water heater “Bosch” has such a handle;
- Using a Phillips screwdriver unscrew the two screws that fix the cover on the frame of the speaker. They are located at the bottom, on the sides of the appliance.
You only need two hands to gently pull out the bottom part of the heater casing. Then lift up, remove completely and set aside. Now you can visually assess the contamination of the device, to determine the extent of cleaning work.
The most common reason why the igniter goes out is a faulty thermocouple. Thermocouple is a part of the safety device, designed to cut off the gas flow in case of gas heater’s unstable operation.
No spark in the gas heater. the cause: failure of the piezo element, the electrode or its displacement. This kind of malfunction occurs when the piezo element does not disengage (approximately 30 sec.). After that, the ignition wick goes out. Repair if the piezo igniter does not work is to replace the unit.
How to clean a gas water heater at home. Scale removal from the gas boiler heat exchanger
Causes and consequences of scale formation
In private homes with central water supply systems as the heating medium for hot water and heating water is used, disinfected and coarsely purified. This coolant contains a large number of various suspended substances, including Ca and Mg, which under the influence of high temperatures, over 65 ° C, due to faulty modules gas water heater, unsatisfactory water pressure fall to a carbonate precipitate (CaCO3,MgCO3). These deposits are called limescale.
Scale builds up on the metal surface inside the heat exchanger, pipes, etc. д.
The low thermal conductivity of limescale, and good adhesion leads to:
- overheating of tubes and plates of the heat exchanger, up to its damage;
- Overconsumption of energy resources;
- reduction of water flow rate, due to clogging of internal ducts and water heater elements;
- clogging of valves, cocks and other elements of the system
- Reduction of the heat output of the appliance.
The outer part of the heat exchanger is covered with combustion products over time. Creation of soot is caused by the intensive flame of the gas burner, poor draft in the chimney, improper gas/air ratio, increased amount of additional impurities in the fuel, contaminated condensate from the chimney. Soot affects the violation of heat transfer, leads to increased consumption of gas and water.
Signs of the heat exchanger contamination
To exclude the premature water heater failure under the above symptoms, it is desirable to call in specialists for fault diagnosis and elimination as soon as possible. Since the heat exchanger is dirty on the outside with soot, and on the inside with limescale and patina (copper corrosion), consider the signs for each individual case.
The following indicators indirectly indicate the appearance of scale in the heat exchanger of the gas water heater and the water heating system:
- Water flow rate from the hot water tap is significantly lower than that of the cold water tap. To identify the true cause of the reduced head, check the condition of the shut-off valve, as its failure could lead to a similar situation.
- The appliance is set to maximum power, but the water does not reach the set temperature. These symptoms are possible if the pressure in the gas line decreases. Therefore, before dismantling and cleaning the heat exchanger, the gas supply pressure should be investigated. If the low pressure gauge is not available, the gas burner of the gas burner can be used as a guide. The presence of a normal flame will indicate normal pressure in the system.
- The water heater burners begin to turn on and off frequently. But, this malfunction can also occur with unstable operation of the gas valve or control module.
- There is a noise inside the two-circuit boiler. It is worth considering that noise in the heat exchanger also occurs due to boiling water, or breakage and clogging of the pump turbine. Boiling of the coolant is possible due to poor contact between the temperature sensors and the pipeline.
How to flush a gas heater. When it’s time to clean your gas water heater?
The following signs indicate that your gas water heater needs cleaning:
- the main burner lights up with difficulty, and sometimes with a strong pop;
- The heater starts, but does not work long, the main burner shuts down quickly;
- At the bottom, from under the casing the soot starts to fall out;
- The unit is operating at maximum capacity, but the water is barely heated.
The popping noise in the combustion chamber indicates that a large amount of gas has accumulated in it before ignition. So, the problem is in the igniter, which ignites the fuel too late. Visual sign is a weak wick flame colored yellow, this is a sign of a clogged nozzle. The solution is to clean the igniter. In most models, the ignition unit can be easily disconnected from the main burner and remove the debris from the nozzle.
Soot accumulated between the heat exchanger fins causes triggering of the overheat and draft sensors. The cross-section of the gas-air duct is significantly reduced, and the water temperature increases. In this case it is necessary to clean the radiator and the walls of the combustion chamber from soot. The extreme degree of contamination is when flakes of soot fall out from under the decorative steel apron, covering the floor or objects under the heater.
Remember that under the heat exchanger is the main burner, and soot clogs its nozzles first. That is, the first contamination leads to the second and as a result you will have to do with your own hands 2 types of work: remove dirt from the heat exchanger and burner device.
Weak heating of running water. this is a consequence of reducing the flow area of the heat exchanger tubes, whose inner walls are covered with a thick layer of scum. The sign of total “invasion” of the internal passages of the tubes is a noticeable drop in water pressure at the speaker’s outlet, while the inlet head is normal. It is the salts contained in tap water, intensely deposited on the heated surfaces of pipes and form a tough thick plaque. Then the cleaning of gas columns, or more precisely, heat exchangers, from limescale by the method of flushing is performed.
Prophylaxis of malfunctions of the gas heater
In addition to troubleshooting, you need to know how to properly disassemble the gas boiler. These skills are necessary to carry out maintenance with your own hands. For which you need to know not only the components, but also the sequence of actions when disassembling the heater.
Carrying out periodic preventive maintenance throughout the entire service life of the gas water heater will contribute to the correct operation.
Annual cleaning is recommended in the technical documentation by the manufacturer. After all, it is the lack of cleaning during prolonged use that can lead to all of the above problems.
Preventive Maintenance. Bosch cooktop igniter replacement and cleaning
How to know when it’s time to clean your gas water heater?
If you are convinced that the cleaning of the gas water heater Junker definitely needs, you can get down to business. for the menu