How to cut a barrel from the oil
How to make a barrel from wood: the technology of making and its secrets
Abundance of everything and everywhere has long been a reality, but not a pipe dream, so you can find in stores all that your soul desires. Or almost everything: for example, wooden barrels can be purchased, but to find a quality product, you need to try very hard. Another “hitch” is often the wrong wood, if a large “crock” is needed for a particular, specific purpose. For these reasons, owners have to think about making their own container for wine, honey, or pickles. Therefore, the question of how to make a barrel from wood can be useful. Who? Those who want an indispensable design in their possession, but do not trust the manufacturers, or do not want to overpay for it.
It is clear that before you make a barrel out of wood, you need to find the most appropriate material. In our non-construction case the range is not too wide, but there is a choice. To know which species will be ideal-optimal, you need to get acquainted with all the advantages (or disadvantages) of the candidates. Professional cooperators “respect” several trees.
No one would think to dispute the fact that an oak barrel is a classic. This wood is as strong as possible, and is characterized by flexibility. In addition, it has tannins, which are antiseptics. Moisture, with which the surface of the oak vessel is in contact, only makes it stronger.
For these reasons, the product is distinguished by an incredibly long service life: it is not tens, but hundreds of years. The main specialization of such barrels is storage of spirits, the quality and price of which depends on how long they were “hidden” in the oak. In the process of prolonged contact with wood they acquire a peculiar aroma. But oak products can just as well be used for sauerkraut or pickling mushrooms. The exception. honey, which in such a storage darkens and acquires a foreign smell.
This is the second representative, which is rightfully considered a favorite of cooperators. This is especially true of the areas that are the habitat of this species of tree. Cedar crockery does not smell of resin at all, so it is used even for storing dairy products. But its main vocation is to serve as a mini-sauna for people.
We can say that linden is a wood that is fervently loved by everyone. It is chosen for the decoration of baths and saunas, as the material is malleable, but durable, worthy to resist high humidity. The linden tree does not dry out and has antiseptic properties. Such barrels are considered the best containers for storing pickles, honey, caviar.
This is another worthy and versatile candidate. The material is characterized by a reasonable price, durability, resistance to moisture. Its antiseptic properties have been known since ancient times. The minus of wood (its swelling) in this case becomes a plus. These barrels are ideal for pickling vegetables.
These contenders can be relegated to the outsider’s camp. Yes, this kind of wood is easy to work with, but its strength leaves much to be desired. Another huge disadvantage is the perceptible smell of resin. For these reasons, these types of wood are used less frequently for making “food” barrels. Example. pickling mushrooms.
How to properly burn a gasoline drum?
One of the most popular ways to get rid of gasoline residue and smell is to burn the container in which it was stored. But this is only possible if the container is made of metal. For plastic barrels, other methods should be chosen. A gas torch is used to burn off gasoline.
This work is quite dangerous, so it requires the use of precautionary measures. You first have to make sure that all the gasoline is drained. If the bottom or walls of the metal barrel is uneven, you need to use a rag to collect the remains of fuel. After that the vessel should be allowed time to dry (on average a couple of hours is enough).
Then turn on the gas burner and begin burning the metal. If possible, the barrel should be placed on its side. Under no circumstances should you look inside the container during the firing process: this could result in severe burns. While working, you should try to keep your body as far away from the open flame as possible. It is recommended to wear special gloves made of fireproof material.
If you burn the barrel immediately after removing gasoline from it, you must ensure that there is a supply of dry sand nearby. It is needed in case the remains of fuel have not been removed carefully enough. Barrel should be placed at a safe distance from buildings and trees.
After firing, the container is thoroughly washed with water from a hose. When the barrel dries, its inner cavity can be painted with any suitable paint. If this container is planned to be used for storing drinking water, the coloring is performed with compositions based on natural ingredients.
On a summer cottage or in a garage always need a tank for storing water. If you have a barrel that used to store fuel and lubricants, or you occasionally purchased a plastic drum that was used for chemicals, after a quality cleaning and washing such containers can be used even for the summer shower. So do not rush to part with the tanks, and our tips and advice on how to clean the barrel from machine oil and what to wash a plastic drum from the chemicals, you just need.
How to make a hole
Despite the considerable service life, metal barrels are not eternal. Cracks and holes can appear in them. If there are no flaws apart from the holes, you should seal them up and continue using the container.
Before repairing it is important to prepare the container itself. It must be cleaned and washed and dried. If necessary, you should get rid of the rust near the hole, otherwise there may be problems with the clutch and tightness.
Choosing how to seal a hole in an iron water barrel without welding, usually choose glue or resin. If the bottom is cracked, and the container will stand in one place, you can make a clay “bowl”.
When choosing a repair option, it is also worth considering the place where the crack appeared:
- On the wall. On the outside, the crack is sealed with previously melted resin or waterproof adhesive. From above, the place is covered with a thick glass fleece or a piece of rubberized cloth and covered with glue or resin again. To prevent the crack from leaking, the inside is cleaned of rust and also smeared with glue.
- On the bottom. If the barrel will stand in place, a clay “bowl” can be made to cover the hole in the bottom. Dig a shallow hole: its diameter should be slightly larger than the diameter of the container. Then dilute the clay, fill the hole 3/4 full and put the barrel to go deep. To make the latter sink, put some heavy stones in it. The clay should envelop the bottom, after drying its layer will not allow water to seep.
Both options will allow the tank to last several years.
If there is a hole in the barrel, it can also be sealed. There are several ways that will allow you to quickly and accurately make repairs.
Choose what to seal the hole in the barrel iron for water, you can from different options:
- Use a bolt. You need to pick a bolt of the same diameter as the hole itself, put it through the hole and secure it with a nut. Rubber pads should be placed on both sides to prevent leaks.
If the hole is large, the washer can be cut from sheet iron, and instead of the gasket use raw rubber. Work with the latter in the warmth. move the barrel indoors or warm up the rubber before use.
- Glue with rubber. This method is similar to taping a car tire. It is necessary to cut a piece of rubber (you can use an old bicycle tire) a little bigger than the hole itself. It is applied to the hole and glued with glue, such as Moment. Smear the inside of the container with garden varnish.
- Apply cold welding. On a clean surface from the inside and outside apply the compound, leave to dry. Coldweld putty can be used to seal any holes. It “clings” well to any materials and does not let water through.
How to clean the barrel from the chemicals. Cleaning of barrels, what and how to clean (wash barrels)
If you have got a barrel (or bought on the cheap a barrel from fuel and lubricants) and you want to keep it in the economy.
Usually such barrels want to use as a tank for water, but it is necessary to somehow completely clean the inner container of the iron barrel of all foreign substances.
Cleaning of the barrel from combustibles and lubricants
First of all, it is worth clarifying what is the “combustible-lubricants”.
Combustibles are combustibles and lubricants, a synonym for this acronym is the word “petroleum products.
To combustibles and lubricants include flammable products and lubricants (which are often used in the automotive field).
Combustibles (or more simply say fuels) can be divided into:
In turn, lubricants are divided into:
Barrel cleaning of petroleum products
Petroleum drums are usually cleaned by steaming and rinsing.
How to do it? Simple enough, but this method is quite dangerous and requires caution.
- Make two brick walls and put a barrel on them (under the barrel there will be a fire).
- Fill the barrel with a sufficient amount of water (water should boil for a long time).
- It is not necessary to close the cork.
- When the water is boiling, steam will accumulate in it, and thanks to it, the fuel oil (or other substance) will simply drain into the water.
- You can only cover the plug (cover, not screw) after the water has boiled over and has cooled down a little bit.
- Wait until the barrel has cooled.
- Take the cooled barrel and pour the dirty water into the container.
- If you are not satisfied with the result. repeat the process (usually one time is not enough for a quality cleaning of the surface).
Now it is worth considering substances and preparations that will help clean the barrel.
Caustic soda. which can be added to water.
UPTS.2002. a substance that effectively washes and degreases containers at a temperature of 30 to 50 (the temperature of the water in the barrel). Also acts as a solvent for oil, grease and other substances.
SOFEX-TMS-2001 is a broad-duty detergent that can be divided into several grades, but the B grade is better for cleaning of containers from traces of oil products.
Cleaning the barrel from oil, gasoline and diesel fuel improvised ways
Most often fuel oil and oil is cleaned with gasoline (and then get rid of the smell of gasoline).
The gasoline itself is usually washed off with a lot of water.
Method 2. Washing barrels of oil wash with soapy solution followed by a rinse with water, for water a little is not suitable, but for compost just right.
Method 3. In an oil drum cut off the top lid and put some firewood inside (you can use branches of medium thickness). Set the branches on fire. the fire will remove all traces of oil. After that we have a hot barrel. we need to wait until it cools down.
Now we have a barrel clean of oil, but now we have a barrel that without additional coating and care will soon turn into a rusty barrel. We take a kilo of cement and mix it with 0.5 liters of milk. With this mixture we cover the inside surface and leave it to dry for a couple of days.
To improve quality, you can top this mixture with water-dispersion paint, although even without it you will have a high-quality, clean water barrel.
Method 4. First wipe with newspaper (or rags) why rinse with a soapy solution.
How to wash a bottle of machine oil. Don’t know how to clean and dry an olive oil bottle
There is an oil bottle (leftover old olive oil). I just can’t wash it, it’s greasy on the inside and outside. And I need to quickly wash and pour other oil into it (the bottle is very good, dark glass). How to Wash and Dry Quickly? Just do not advise mustard. I just thought of her, but I do not have it now. There’s also a problem with drying containers. The neck is narrow, you can’t get in with a rag.
If the problem does not have the best advice chosen, the price for the best advice increases by the minute. If the board is already selected. That doesn’t mean your tip can’t be the best (the best tip may change if yours gets more votes). If there is a tie, the person who voted for the tip wins. The tip should contain unique information relative to other tips already given. If you mostly agree with the board, just vote for it and add unique information in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. The system itself determines how many votes the board needs to get in order to become the best (this figure depends on the current degree of activity on the project) Report on the last payment Statistics on the current payment
Try pouring some baking soda, a little hot water in the bottle and rub. Then rinse with vinegar diluted in cool water about one to one.
Added: October 27, 2012 at 19:09 Julia Level: 14
And I dry bottles on a dish dryer, so that the inverted bottle from below gets air Julia
I used to use a kitchen cleaner which cleans grease really well
Added: October 27, 2012 at 19:00 Mardus Level: 13
I’ll share with you my recipe for cleaning oil or grease from a glass bottle. I think you have these ingredients at home. Pour some rice on the bottom, pour warm water to the middle and drop a drop of detergent (I drop Fae), shake very hard for two minutes. That’s it, the grease is gone.I dry it by pushing a paper towel or a cloth twisted into a tube in there.Leave it for a few hours. You can put it in a warm place, I put it on the radiator if it is heated, if not, just in the kitchen.
Added: October 27, 2012 at 19:16
Not the problem you were looking for? Check out the others under the tags.
How to clean a barrel of machine oil
I need to wash a barrel of oil, how do I do it right, what should I do?
Quite a lot of options, but it is important to consider whether there is a top cover on the barrel, or is it a barrel with a cut off the top cover.
If there is no top cover, then fill the barrel with sand, or sawdust, leave overnight, sawdust or sand will absorb the oil.
Next, we remove sawdust from the barrel, pour hot water into it, add to the water any non abrasive dish detergent (it breaks up the fat instantly), wash the barrel.
Drain the water and repeat the procedure until the result is satisfactory.
You can without sawdust and sand, immediately pour hot water and detergent, I am on a 200-liter barrel poured two “bottles” of this detergent
The oil can be scorched if it is a metal barrel (burning the barrel from the inside).
On the bottom of the barrel place newspapers, dry twigs, and set fire.
It is better to cover the barrel with a metal cover (or a metal sheet, it is necessary to cover not too tightly, otherwise the fire will go out, it needs access to air for burning) and this option should be used in windless weather.
After the oil has burned off, the barrel can be additionally washed with hot water detergent.
But first you need to give time for the barrel to cool down, then “pass” the walls of the barrel with a metal brush.
Oil is flammable, so it’s important to be careful.
There are other options, wash with gasoline, or solvent, drain, then hot water and baking soda (caustic soda is better), or dish detergent.
On a summer cottage or in a garage you always need a container to store water. If you have a barrel that used to store fuel and lubricants, or you occasionally purchased a plastic barrel that was used for chemicals, then after proper cleaning and washing such containers can be used even for the summer shower. So do not rush to part with the tanks, and our tips and advice on how to clean the barrel from the machine oil, and what to wash a plastic barrel from the chemicals, you will definitely need.
How to Clean a Barrel?
The 200 liter metal barrel will always be of great value to gardeners. First of all it is a tank for water, because most often it is the lack of water for irrigation and the reason for the loss of crops. However, the barrel can be used for other purposes. you can store inventory, you can make a septic tank, and you can and garden oven for burning waste, in any case, the thing is needed at home.
True, it is difficult to get a clean barrel suitable for immediate use, most tanks are used to store technical liquids, which means that the tank must be cleaned before use.
Before you start cleaning, you need to consider two things. the design of the barrel and the materials under which it was used. By design we mean the way the filler neck is designed. whether it is a narrow neck on the lid or a full-length lid with a full circumference.
The second point involves what was stored in the tank:
- Light petroleum products gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel;
- Heavy petroleum products. tar, bitumen, liquid greases and oils;
- Lubricants of gelatinous consistency. solidol, lithol, preservative grease;
- varnishes, paints, solvents.
The choice of cleaning method depends on these two factors. If light petroleum products have been stored in the tank and the barrel has a narrow neck, then the cleaning will have to use chemicals. For a large cover and lubricants will have to first remove the remains of lubricant mechanically (everything will come in handy at home) and only then proceed to burning. And with paints. here you either have to cut a big hole or wash out the rest of the paint with solvent.
- Method 1. cleaning of light oil products. The method has two steps. the first is to clean the barrel with detergents to remove gasoline residues and their vapors, the second part is the thermal removal of gasoline residues. First, fill the barrel 10-15% with water and add detergent and caustic soda. After that the inner volume is thoroughly washed out, it is best to use a powder with good foaming, this will improve the cleaning of the gasoline. After this the water is drained out. The next step is to fill the entire volume with water. The water must fill up the tank completely. It is allowed to add a small amount of detergent, for example, Fae. Let the water in the barrel stand for 3 to 4 days to completely dissolve the residual quantity. At the final stage the water is changed again. But before doing so, the barrel must be placed on bricks so that a fire can be built underneath. The barrel is filled up to the neck with water and detergent again. After that the fire is made and the water is heated. After the water heats up, it will overflow onto the lid. At this point, you should not toss wood. the water will still contain flammable particles, it is better to wait until the water cools down and then rekindle the fire.
- Method 2. Cleaning from dark petroleum products and technical grease. Suitable for containers with a large filling opening. Bitumen, grease or paint residues are first removed mechanically. After this the barrel is filled with water and put on the fire. In the heating process floating residues are collected and removed. After the water has been heated it is drained and the barrel is washed with soapy water after it has cooled down.
- Method 3. Cleaning with kiln firing. Barrels with a large lid are suitable for this method. First the barrel is rinsed with soapy water. After this time firewood is poured into the barrel and a fire is made. Firing lasts 40-50 minutes until the paint on the outside is peeling off. After firing it is sufficient to remove the remains of wood and ash and wash everything with water. Attention! This method is not suitable for containers with petrol and diesel oil residues.
Greetings! On our site you will find a huge number of useful articles and tips about modern construction, repair and interior design. For your convenience, all the articles on the site are divided into thematic sections. Also, we are always ready to support the conversation in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев, please write.
Music: Europa plus mix 2018,2019 Europa plus-residens To develop the channel: DONATE: Yandex Money- Webmoney- R383793949200 Central cash 74089376
What will be needed:
The damaged area on the walls of a barrel or other steel tank must be scraped. Peeling rust can be removed with any sharp object, and plaque can be swept away with a metal brush. No need to scrape to a shine, you just need to get to a solid base to apply the compound.
Next, you take cannon fat and roll it into a ball big enough to cover the damage on the barrel. Then it is pressed to the hole from the inside and smeared with a layer of up to 5 mm. If the cannon fat from the ball is not enough, it can be added.
Gun tallow is a water-soluble preservative. Therefore, after its use the water in a leaky tank will not change its chemical composition. It will not show an iridescent film as with petroleum products. The product retains its qualities for a very long time. A barrel repaired in this way may well last another 5 years or more, until a new hole appears in the side again, which can also be blocked with cannon grease.Keep in mind that the temperature range of the gun fat usage from.50 to 50 degrees Celsius. That is, it can not be used for repair of tanks, which need to be heated. Due to its viscosity the product can quite reliably repair a container with a through hole of 30 mm in diameter.
When buying canned cannon fat, it may be soft consistency inside, reminiscent of solidol. It works as a good easy-to-apply metal preservative, but it is not suitable for repairing barrel holes. You need to look for the powder in briquettes. It is dense. It can be found in car dealerships and auto paint stores. Cannon fat is stored for decades, in addition it is inexpensive, so buying it 1 kg, you can almost until the end of life to quickly repair the barrels and troughs.