How to cut a hole for a power socket in the apron
Instructions for determining the size of the apron and cutouts for outlets
Glass aprons in the kitchen are an excellent alternative to tile and other decorative materials used on the wall area along the working area in the kitchen.
Glass is one of the most environmentally friendly materials and in terms of hygiene is also unparalleled. Protective covers made of glass are not afraid of moisture, it is easy to remove dirt and grease with any detergents without fear of damaging the surface.
There is an opinion that drops of water and grease, dust and fingerprints are noticeable on the glass surface of the apron. Thanks to the smooth, even surface and the absence of joints as with ceramic tile, it is much easier to care for than other finishing materials.
- Septic tank infiltrator: volume, installation, work
- Installation of aluminum interior thresholds
- Replacing the glass in the inner door
- Installation of heating systems in the apartment and the choice of pipes
- What linoleum choose for the kitchen
- High décor or choice of ceiling design
Main types of outlets
Installing power supplies in the kitchen, you should know their classification and purpose. According to the type of installation, they are divided into 2 types:
- Internal. During installation, a hole is cut in the wall directly for the socket and grooves for the wire. Internal power supplies are the safest and are used in almost all apartments.
- Outdoor are used most often in wooden country houses, where the wire is laid over the wall.
By additional conditions of operation:
- With protective curtains that protect against electric shock. These outlets are most often used in homes with small children.
- With protection against moisture. They are used for rooms with high humidity and have different degrees of protection.
- With a ground fault interrupter. Used to prevent sudden fires.
- With ejectors. Thanks to the ejection button, the process of pulling the plug is greatly simplified, thereby not displacing the mechanism of the socket itself.
- With a timer
- With indicator (indicating the presence of current in the network).
Kitchen work area lighting
In the kitchen, in addition to the main chandelier located in the center of the room, there should also be local lighting. Own source of light is often needed for the work surface, where housewives spend a lot of time.
The location of outlets on the kitchen apron is better to plan in the process of renovation. When distributing the points of placement of lighting fixtures, you need to take into account the scheme of the power grid. To connect additional lights use separate power sources in the kitchen. This installation reduces the energy costs in the room.
When installing sockets to light the work area, remember that the power supply for the hood and lights should be placed no higher than 1100 mm above the countertop.
Work area lighting
In addition to plugging appliances into the sockets, a very important point is the lighting of the apron and the power supply to it.
Additional light is designed according to certain requirements, namely n. 2.12 VSN 59-88. It should not be less than 200 lux, and a similar requirement applies to lighting the sink. The main lighting in the kitchen should be 100 lux.
It is possible to implement different methods of lighting, especially since there are all kinds of options available to suit the tastes of the customer and stylistic requirements.
The most common solutions include:
- The installation of additional light on the wall. In this case, you can use incandescent lamps, conventional or fluorescent versions and others. The implementation of this is quite simple, but the appearance is not very aesthetic. According to the PUE, protective glass must be provided for incandescent lamps, and installation to do above the tables. For fluorescent types, grids are used;
- the use of corner lights. The option is more attractive and interesting, for the view is more suitable fluorescent lamps, which are placed one part against the wall, and the other on the bottom of the hinged cabinet. Through the implementation manages to disguise the light fixture;
- The installation of spotlights. They are mounted in hinged cabinets and often use devices with 12V direction, so it is necessary to buy an additional converter, and the installation to do outside the furniture;
- The use of lighted apron. This option is the best, most beautiful and implemented with the additional use of glass. How to make furniture with lighting, any master knows, the choice is ideal in terms of efficiency and appearance, but the cost is the main disadvantage.
Naturally, the sockets for lighting must be done so that they are invisible to the eyes. It is best to mount them above the wall cabinets or behind them, but in this case you will need to cut a recess in the back wall to access the network and connect the plug.
The location of devices in the kitchen must comply with electrical safety standards. To prevent errors during the installation of the outlet on the kitchen apron, you must follow the step-by-step connection algorithm.
- No power supplies should be installed near electric stoves and sinks.
- Wires and contacts must be waterproof.
- The cable length from the appliance to the power supply must not exceed 1.5 m.
At what height to do them
An important point is to determine the correct height of the kitchen outlets on the apron:
- The height of the outlets in the kitchen behind the countertops must be 10 cm.
- The power supply for the hood is installed at a height of 50-60 cm from the cabinets.
- For small appliances, power supplies should be located at a height of 1-1.4 m off the floor.
When planning the layout and the positioning of the power supplies, follow the safety regulations.
When calculating the number, you must understand that electrical appliances can be both mandatory and auxiliary. Knowing the number of devices, to this number you need to add a couple of additional outlets. It should be borne in mind that for powerful electrical appliances lead separate sockets, and for the rest. about 3-4 pcs.
In the absence of the necessary experience, craftsmen make such mistakes:
- determine the wrong number and height of appliances placement;
- the socket for the hood is located in the area of its location;
- Carry out installation after installing a kitchen set;
- Place electric power sources near the sink and stove;
- Forget to drill through the wall on the kitchen apron.
The location of appliances in the kitchen must comply with electrical safety standards. To prevent mistakes during the installation of the outlet on the kitchen apron you must follow the step by step algorithm for connection.
- Do not install power sources near electric stoves and sinks.
- Wires and contacts must be waterproof.
- The length of the cable going from the household appliance to the power supply should not exceed 1.5 m.
At what height should they be done
An important point is the correct determination of the height of the placement of kitchen outlets on the apron:
- The height of outlets in the kitchen behind countertops should be 10 cm.
- Power supply for cooker hoods should be set 50-60 cm from the cabinets.
- For small household appliances, power sources should be located at a height of 1-1.4 m from the floor.
Determining the number
When designing the layout and location of power supplies should be guided by safety regulations.
When calculating the number, it should be understood that electrical appliances can be both mandatory and auxiliary. Knowing the number of appliances, to this number you need to add a couple of additional outlets. It is necessary to take into account that for powerful electrical appliances output separate outlets, and for the rest. about 3-4 pcs.
In the absence of the necessary experience masters make such mistakes:
- Determine the wrong number and height of the placement of devices;
- The socket for the hood is located in the area of the hood;
- Install the hood after the installation of kitchen furniture;
- place electric power sources near the sink and stove;
- Forgetting to punch through the wall on the kitchen apron.
Layout of outlets
When developing the layout of outlets, you should be guided by regulatory documents.
When installing kitchen outlets, you must comply with these regulations:
- They must be placed from the plinth at a height of not less than 20 mm.
- The appliance to be connected to the mains must be placed at a distance of one meter from the socket.
- Such installation will not expose the product to moisture vapor or water splashing.
How many outlets are needed in the kitchen
The number of outlets must be calculated on the basis of the number of appliances present in the kitchen, and 20-25% of the spare ones must be added.
- For a stove with an induction hob, electric ignition or electric oven.
- For the exhaust hood (see: Room Air Conditioning, Exhaust Panel, and Fume Hood). Socket for the hood: how to choose and install with their own hands).
- To connect large household appliances: refrigerator, washing machine, TV.
- For built-in appliances, microwave, electric kettle, and other appliances.
After calculating the number of devices to connect, adding the reserve, we get the total number of outlets that will be needed for installation in the kitchen. If their number is insufficient, it will be quite difficult, and sometimes impossible, to redo the system, and you will have to use extension cords, which is not too convenient.
A rough list of electric appliances in the kitchen and their connection to the mains
Sockets on the apron in the kitchen for lighting and appliances: how to install and hide with respect to safety rules
Proper kitchen planning calls for the purchase and use of various appliances that work off the electrical grid. Determine the equipment before the repair, in order to accurately determine the number of electrical outlets. Most often the outlets are installed on the kitchen apron, because near the working area of the hostesses spend more time. Therefore, their location must be carefully thought out to the smallest detail. From the article you can learn about the rules of the location, types of outlets and installation methods.
Features of placement
Determine the number of outlets in the kitchen, their type and other features helps to prepare in advance the scheme. The main placement rules are about safety. The main ones are:
- outlets, which are located behind the tables for cooking food should be installed at a height of 10 cm from the floor;
- the maximum length of the wire for power supply should not be more than 1.5 m;
- When using recessed appliances, you must maintain a 1 m radius from the outlet to the equipment;
- on the inside of drawers and sinks, you can install power sources;
- For the hood, the socket is placed behind the cabinet, the height from its end 5-10 cm;
- On the apron of the kitchen set placed the main number of electrical outlets to connect small appliances. The optimal height from the floor is 1-1,5 m;
- above the sink and stove mounting outlets is strictly prohibited, they must be taken to the side at a distance of about 60 cm.
In one line for the trimmer, you can connect several types of equipment at once, provided that their power is small. The capacity limit for such source is about 3-3,5 kW.
Powerful devices are plugged into separate sockets, under which make a separate line for the trimmer. When buying, it is recommended to use power points with an automatic shutoff feature, which helps to cut off power in case of current leakage.
Lighting of the working area
In addition to connecting appliances to sockets, a very important point is the lighting of the apron and the power supply to it.
Additional light is made according to certain requirements, namely n. 2.12 VSN 59-88. It should not be less than 200 lux, and a similar requirement applies to lighting the sink. The main light in the kitchen should be 100 lux.
To realize the lighting is possible by different methods, especially since the sale are any variants under the tastes of the customer and stylistic requirements.
The most common solutions include:
- installation of additional light on the wall. In this case, you can use incandescent lamps, conventional or fluorescent options and others. The implementation is quite simple, but the appearance is not very aesthetic. According to the PUE, for incandescent lamps, protective glass must be provided, and the installation to do above the tables. For fluorescent types, grids are used;
- Use of corner lights. The option is more attractive and interesting, for the view is more suitable fluorescent lamps, which are placed one part to the wall, and the other on the bottom of the hinged cabinet. Due to the implementation it is possible to disguise the luminaire;
- installation of spotlights. They are mounted in wall cabinets and often use devices with 12V direction, so it is necessary to buy an additional converter, and installation should be done outside the furniture;
- use of lighted apron. This option is the best, most beautiful and implemented with the additional use of glass. How to make furniture with backlighting, any craftsman knows, the choice is ideal in terms of efficiency and appearance, but the cost is the main disadvantage.
Naturally, sockets for lighting should be made so that they are invisible to the eyes. It is best to mount them above the cabinets or behind them, but in this case you will need to cut a recess in the back wall to access the network and connect the plug.
Outlets in the work area
The most important question for kitchen owners. how to make sure that the outlets are not conspicuous, easy to use and in sufficient quantity.
The working part carries a heavy load, because many temporary and permanent appliances like kettle, meat grinder, blender, etc. are connected to the electrical outlets.д.
It is best to determine before repair the number of appliances that are and will be used constantly and periodically, and to the number of outlets add 20-30% reserve.
Most often not less than 3 pcs., but it is better to place about 5 or more, depending on the size of the kitchen.
The easiest way to pick up standard outlets for the apron, which do not differ in their characteristics from others, but there are a few important features:
- The location just above the countertop makes it difficult to use the electrical outlets, in addition, they constantly get debris on them, which can lead to unpleasant results. often the installation is carried out at a height of 10 cm from the countertop;
- Installation under the very top of the apron near the bottom edge of the hinged cabinets helps to hide the socket a little, and their use is very convenient;
- If the apron is surrounded by a stove on one side and a sink on the other, the location will be strictly centered;
- if placed on one side of the cabinet apron, you can do the installation of an electrical point in the corner to free up some working space, and on the cabinet to put appliances in the form of a harvester and other equipment.
Technically, the connection of outlets does not differ from the installation in other rooms of the house or apartment.
Many people do not know how to hide the outlets near the apron, so that they are invisible to the eye. A good solution would be to use corner types, which are in a large assortment available in stores. The main features are:
- due to their angular location, they are mounted immediately to the wall and countertop or hinged furniture, so after arrangement they will be almost invisible;
- the tabletop level is often used as the main mounting location, but in such a location they can get moisture, debris, so the top mount is better suited, eliminating short circuits;
- Technically, the connection is carried out by two methods, among which holding a hidden line directly in the wall or installation of open wires, passing under or behind the garnish.
If the apron in the kitchen is made of ceramic tiles or other material with a solid surface, the points of connection of household appliances are placed on one line at a distance of 10-30 cm from the surface of the countertop.
In this case it is recommended to use the maximum permissible distance of 30 cm. A countertop cluttered with food, dishes and appliances makes it difficult to access low-lying outlets.
Advice! Keep the number of outlets on the apron itself to a minimum and place them on the edges of the worktop. Maintain safe distances for the points of connection next to the sink and the hob.
Kitchen outlets can be distributed on three levels. The first. the top. is used to connect the lights and exhaust, the middle row is designed for the boiler, refrigerator and electric stove.
This line for the trimmer is placed below the countertop, it is not visible behind the garnish. The next row of connection points is installed on the apron, it is most often used. Here you connect the mixer, blender, microwave, toaster and other household appliances.