How to cut a metal plastic pipe at home
How to cut plastic sheet metal pipe
As a rule, metal plastic pipes are sold in measured lengths. That’s why during installation it is necessary to cut them to a predetermined size. And if it is necessary to join, turn or branch, special fittings for metal plastic pipes are used.
Metal plastic pipes can be cut in several ways:
It is also possible to easily and effortlessly cut metal plastic pipes with a hacksaw, but the process will be slower and an even edge is not always obtained. If you do not have a hand saw for metal, you can also use a self-sharpening knife, but the aluminum layer makes it difficult to work. Also, after using these methods small particles of plastic remain at the edges, which can cause clogging of filters during operation of the pipeline.
If during the assembly of polypropylene pipes uneven edges melt or melted plastic covers them, then there are high requirements for the accuracy of cutting metal-plastic pipes. It is tightly pressed into the collar during installation, and uneven edges on it are not acceptable. can cause leaks. That’s why it’s best to use scissors designed for this purpose.
Technology of cutting metal plastic pipes with scissors
Similar shears are designed for cutting pipes of small diameter. up to 40 mm. The technique does not require professional knowledge and experience, is carried out with one hand without much effort. A special toothed rack on their blade contributes to this.
When choosing such a tool, do not give preference to the cheapest models, because their resource will allow only a few cutting cycles, after which the return mechanism or a more significant part will fail.
It is highly recommended to cut plastic pipes over 40 mm in diameter with a pipe cutter. They come in the following types:
- telescopic. cutting is carried out by a round roller made of tool steel;
- with a ratchet mechanism. the operating principle and appearance resemble scissors (cutting is performed by closing the handles of the device).
When using a tool with a ratchet mechanism on the pipe, you must remove the chamfers and restore its cross-section with a calibrator.
[content-egg module=GdeSlon template=compare]
First it is necessary to collect everything that will be needed to solve the problem.
As you know, metal pipes include a layer of plastic and aluminum substrate. They are firmly welded together by laser welding. The frame is aluminum tubing. The core of the product is smooth enough.
However, experts still recommend that before you start cutting, clean the surface of the structure from possible irregularities.
For cleaning the tubular products it is necessary to use a coupling. The process of cleaning the surface of the product itself takes a little time.
What can be used other than scissors to cut the laminate?
Please advise how to cut MF “SuperPipe” Mecerplast, without the use of special scissors. It is necessary to cut two 1 meter pipes for DHW and HTW, and buy scissors for this purpose for
Is it really as serious as it says here: “To cut the pipe, you must use specially adapted scissors, and in no case other barbed-cutting objects.”
You can cut with anything, but the cut will be sloppy, imho. And scissors. They’ll come in handy.
Metal scissors ! ! ! Only then need to calibrate (make it round) and grind the inner edges so as not to cut the EPDM rings on the fittings. For this use. A grate puller. I don’t think he’s available? Then use scissors, but be careful.
You can cut with a sharp knife, too. You can also use it to trim, straighten the edge, remove burr, etc.д. Yes, the caliber is better, but if you need to crimp two fittings, you can use improvised tools to remove it. But be careful not to tear out the o-rings.
J.Walker wrote: You can cut it with a sharp knife.
We sawed with a hacksaw and then with the flare (and used it to chamfer the inside)
vfx wrote: It is necessary to cut two 1 meter pipes for hot water and hot water,
Cut it where you buy it. They can also do presses there.
BV wrote: Well, cut there, where you buy. They will also be able to press.
Already brought home. There were many people there. I had no time to deal with me.
Oh, man. Just happened to be passing by the store, came in and bought a cutter for MF (100 rubles), it says Italy
, but not as the market sells Chinese for 250, and calibrator (65r) blue in three sizes with scissors for beveling. Store, I understand the company from a well-known manufacturer.
That’s how the theme of the store came across! Thank you all. I’m gonna go practice on a piece of pipe with the cutter.
Cutting metal-plastic pipe
We’ve already talked about cutting polypropylene pipes. Today we’re going to talk about cutting metal and plastic pipes. It’s practically the same thing, but all metal is different from polypropylene (read this article). That’s why we should also talk about cutting separately.
You can cut plastic sheet metal pipe using almost anything. Of course it is not as pliable as polypropylene, but you can cut it even with a knife.
So, what can be used to cut a plastic pipe.
1) It is of course a metal hacksaw. Easy and simple to cope with plastic pipes.
2) The second. a knife with teeth, or as it is also called a self-sharpening knife. They are harder to cut because there is a piece of aluminum in the middle. However, in the absence of another tool, you can cut.
The disadvantages of these methods are that when you cut the pipe, the plastic gets hairy, at the junction of the pipe are part of the plastic, which can then fall into the pipe and clog filters. We do not need this. That’s why the best way to cut it is with scissors.
3) Cutting with special scissors. I’ve already reminded you about them in my article on polypropylene pipes. Now I want to show you again. Such scissors are sold in any construction store. supermarket, they are not expensive and are always useful in the house, especially if you yourself conduct and service water or heating pipes. Cutting plastic pipes this way is very easy, just clamp the pipe and cut. The pipe is cut very precisely and without any jagged edges and it can be immediately installed.
Accuracy of cutting metal pipe, is much more important than, for example, polypropylene. The thing is that polypropylene melts and if the pipe is cut a little bit unevenly, then this melted plastic will cover everything. But if you cut a metal-plastic pipe incorrectly, then there may already be a leak, because the pipe is pressed tightly into a special collar.
[content-egg module=GdeSlon template=compare]
Principles of Selection
Before you buy a cutter you need to decide what to cut the laminate pipe with. If you need to make several one-time cuts, you do not need to buy expensive tools, you can use a hacksaw or angle grinder. To collect the piping in the whole house will need a pipe cutter.
- In order not to stop work because of blunted rollers or blades, you need to choose a set with additional working parts.
- When buying tools, you need to consider the diameter of the tube to be cut.
- For easier installation work, you can choose a torch that can be beveled.
Advantages and disadvantages
The disadvantages of pipe cutters include their high price, which depends on the maximum diameter.
Different types of pipe cutters (
Manufacturers and costs
The price of tools depends on the quality, availability of additional mechanisms, the maximum diameter of the pipe cutting. Manufacturers:
- STURM. the goods of this company are suitable for beginners, amateurs. Medium
- WMT. a company that produces budget cutters. Medium
- RIDGID, KALDE, Milwaukee. manufacturers of professional tools. Medium
In construction stores, in markets you can find cutters
Tools for cutting metal-plastic pipes
The following tools will be useful in the pipe cutting process:
It is important for the master to determine in advance what he will cut metal-plastic pipes. The most important tool on the list is the scissors. Everything else is necessary for special preparatory work.
When cutting, do not use too much force. It is enough to control each movement completely. If you do not pay proper attention, you can easily cut off the excess part.
If you must bend the workpiece while it is being cut, do not use your hands to do so. So you can easily spoil the aluminum layer that is inside. It is better to take a professional pipe bender and perform the operation with its help.
The use of inappropriate tools when working on one area can affect the whole network, leading to high repair costs.
Important! Special scissors are usually included in the welding set. But they can be purchased separately. The price for this tool is not so high to save on it.
Before proceeding directly to the cutting, it is necessary to measure very clearly the part where the unit will be split. To do this, use a tape measure or ruler, and a bright marker. A faded pencil can simply not be seen, especially if there is not enough light in the room. The marking can be made with a knife, leaving a scratch.
During work, pieces of plastic and aluminum can fly in different directions. Therefore it is necessary to use protective equipment in the form of goggles and special clothing.
Installation of metal plastic pipes with their own hands: connection technology examples of wiring
Modern materials for the arrangement of in-house piping have given the possibility of independent assembly of water supply and heating systems. For example, the installation of metal-plastic pipes with their own hands will allow you to arrange water or sewage distribution. To work with such elements does not require complex tools or special skills.
Features of metal-plastic products
Metal-plastic (metal-polymer pipes). composite products, for the production of which various types of materials are used. Such elements have an attractive appearance, good wear resistance, elasticity, durability.
As a rule, the pipe consists of five layers. A durable polymer, usually cross-linked polyethylene, is used as a carrier. It makes the inner surface smooth, protecting it from clogs, and also contributes to the strength of the product.
An adhesive substance is applied to the core, on which an aluminum foil stabilizing the pipe is reinforced (it also prevents oxygen ingress). The connection is fixed by butt or overlap welding.
The fourth layer is also applied adhesive, to which is connected the outer coating. white polyethylene, which provides the product protection and gives it an aesthetic appearance.
Technical characteristics of pipes D 16-20 mm
Here are the data, typical for metal-plastic pipes of common diameters (16 and 20 mm):
- The wall thickness is 2 and 2.25 millimeters, respectively; the thickness of the aluminum layer is 0.2 and 0.24 mm.
- One run meter weighs 115 and 170 grams and holds a volume of liquid equal to 1.113 and 0.201 liters.
- The coefficient of heat conductivity is 0.43 W/m K, the expansion coefficient of metal plastic is 0.26×10 4 per 1 degree Celsius, the coefficient of roughness is 0.07.
- At transverse tearing the material has a strength coefficient of 2880 H.
- Bond strength of adhesive layer with foil is 70 H/10 sq.mm, the strength factor of the aluminum welded layer is 57 H/sq.m. mm.
- Metal plastic pipes can work even at 95 o C, withstanding temperatures of 110-130 o C for short periods of time.
- In the temperature range from 0 to 25°C the system works at up to 25 bar and at 95°C it can withstand 10 bar.
- Tightness and integrity of the metal plastic pipe is broken at a load of 94 bar (at 20 o C).
With proper installation and compliance with operating rules, metal polymer products can last 50 years or more.
Advantages and disadvantages of metal polymers
The advantages of such products include:
- ease of installation: connections of different categories of metal-plastic pipes are quick and easy;
- High thermal resistance (water heated up to 100°C can be transported);
- moderate price (metal-polymer pipes are cheaper than metal ones and most plastic analogues)
- high strength, ring stiffness;
- resistance to corrosion, aggressive media;
- Non-susceptibility to formation of deposits and clogging;
- aesthetic appearance;
- high flow capacity;
- low thermal conductivity;
- high plasticity;
- possibility of easy repair;
The main drawback of such products is that the metal and plastic, of which the pipes are composed, have different rates of expansion. Regular temperature fluctuations of the agent, located in the pipes, can lead to the loosening of fasteners, resulting in leaks in the structure.
To avoid this, experts advise, making installation, always provide a certain reserve at the joints of pipes. It will be useful also because metal-plastic systems are poorly able to withstand water hammer.
Fields of application of metal plastic elements
Pipes made of metal polymers are widely used in the arrangement of individual houses, in industrial construction and agriculture.
The main areas of their use are:
- transportation of liquids, gaseous agents
- laying of drainage systems, water pipelines, heating systems;
- In structures that provide compressed air transfer;
- bringing heating components to the radiators, the device is a warm floor;
- Installation of air-conditioning circuits;
- protection and shielding of wires (primarily power wires);
- construction of irrigation systems.
Metal plastic is not recommended for use:
- when organizing central heating systems with the supposed arrangement of elevator units;
- in areas with a fire safety level “D”;
- when the intended supply of hot liquid in the pipeline with an operating pressure of 10 bar;
- in premises where it is planned to locate sources of thermal radiation with a surface temperature of over 150 degrees C.
In addition, the use of metal-polymer pipes undesirable in the safety, alarm, overflow, expansion circuits and fire plumbing.
The three basic ways of laying pipes
Branching metal plastic systems can be carried out by various methods, each of which is selected on the basis of expediency and opportunities for further access to the system.
In this case all pipes and connections are hidden in the depth of the wall under the finishing materials. Only fittings and elbows for connecting plumbing devices are put outside.
Using this method of installation preserves the design of the interior, in addition, the masking of communications protects them from accidental damage.
- For laying channels for pipes requires a complex and labor-intensive process of drilling. After laying communications surface has to be restored again.
- This method is not suitable for load-bearing walls, where it is forbidden to carry out drilled specifications.
- Rather high cost associated with carrying out additional work.
Conclusions and useful video
With such a wide range of construction tools, both manual and electric, it is quite a real task to choose a pipe cutter that will cope with its function, but will not cost more than the heating system itself.
Knowing what kinds of devices there are, as well as getting acquainted with the most popular models, you can easily select and buy equipment for working with plastic pipes.
Want to supplement our material useful Комментарии и мнения владельцев, or share your own experience in cutting plastic pipes? Or do you want to tell about the pros and cons of your pipe grinder? Write your opinion and recommendations under this article, add unique photos of your pipe cutter model or the cutting process itself.
Block: 8/8 | Number of characters: 886
Number of blocks: 14 | Total number of characters: 22611Number of used donors: 5Information on each donor: