How to cut a mirror with a glass cutter at home
How to cut a mirror neatly and easily at home
Well, let’s start another lesson on the Better Homes blog with a little commonplace truth A job can only be done well if you use a good tool. This is of course also true for cutting mirrors, which is what we will talk about today. There are two types of glass cutters: diamond and roller, and you can cut the mirror at home with both. The diamond cutting part is a piece of industrial diamond, and the roller one has a wheel of special high-strength alloy.
Preparation of the mirror surface
First of all the whole mirror surface should be thoroughly cleaned and washed with a soda solution. If there are traces of stains, it is not bad to clean such areas with alcohol, otherwise the cutting line can “go” sideways, and the glass will be spoiled. The place where the cutting will take place should be flat, so that the mirror will fit tightly over the entire surface. In addition, it should not be hard, better to lay a soft cloth. After that the mowing line is marked for the cut.
Then a ruler, preferably a metal one, should be attached to the mowing line. For more accuracy you need to prepare the ruler. Two erasers (school eraser) are attached to its ends (e.g. with sticky tape). This will raise the ruler slightly above the surface of the mirror. This technique allows you to control the correct positioning of the glass cutter and ensures that the glass cutter does not jump off this mowing line on the ruler.
It is clear, that the cutting element should be placed strictly on the marked line and perpendicular to the mirror surface. Slightly press the cutter against the glass and guide it toward you. There is no need to rush. Keep the pressure and movement of the glass cutter smooth and steady. If everything is done correctly, you can hear the sound of the cut glass and it is impossible to confuse it. The squeak is the evidence of either unsuitability of the tool or its wrong position, too much pressure. If the cut is correct, on the surface of the mirror there will be a thin white fishing line.
When the cut line is ready, the mirror is placed on the edge of the surface (table, workbench, stool). It should be placed so that the fishing line protrudes a little over the edge. After that, holding the mirror with one hand and pressing down with the other one, the cut part should fall off. If this fails, then a small hammer should be used to tap on the entire mowing line from below, moving the hammer from the far end of the line towards yourself. After that, if the piece did not separate, the cutting process should be repeated.
If possible, it is better to buy a diamond glass cutter because it cuts much better and has a longer service life. When using it, you need to be guided by the marks, as it has two corners: sharp and blunt.
When cutting glass, it is best to use safety glasses. If you do not have one, do not tilt your head too low to avoid eye injury from glass splinters.
Mirror, as well as glass cloth, is cut with the glass cutter. You can buy it at any construction market or in a specialized store. Such tool takes up little space and sooner or later it will definitely be needed.
There are several varieties of glass cutters, each adapted to perform certain tasks:
- Diamond. This is the most durable option, it cuts through 10 km of glass, in the history of glass cutters nothing more reliable has been invented. However, it requires experience in the work, and if the necessary skill is not much, it is better to choose another variant of the tool.
- Roller. Its working part consists of cobalt and tungsten alloy. In strength, it is inferior to diamond, but strong enough. It is very useful for cutting indirect lines.
- Oil. The principle of the device it has the same as the roller, but it still has an additional reservoir built into the handle and filled with oil. This option is designed for cutting thick glass. Therefore, if the mirror you have chosen, from this category, choose it, with such a tool the work will be easy and fast.
We suggest reading What to clean sewage pipes in a private home: types of blockages and cleaning methods
Mirror surface preparation
For those who are already experienced in glass cutting this process will not seem new, everything is done in the same way, but with a small correction. the mirror surface is cut only from the front side!
- Clean the mirror with a special glass cleaner or soda solution and remove any stains.
- Choose a flat area of the mirror you want to cut and degrease the surface.
- Wipe the surface dry with a clean cloth.
A safety precaution when cutting the glass
Before you cut the mirror with the glass cutter please read the safety requirements.
- Tidy up your work place, remove unnecessary things from the table. Place trim drawers, work tools, and the product itself in their proper places.
- Make sure all tools are in good condition.
- Put rubber tips on the jaws of the pliers or wrap them in something.
- Always place glass drawers vertically.
- Be sure to wear a protective suit, gloves and goggles.
- Take your time and try not to make any abrupt movements.
- Do not touch the cutlass line with fingers that are not protected with gloves.
- It is forbidden to cut the product on objects that are not designed for it.
- When working at heights, glass must not be thrown down. Always take trim or whole pieces of glass with you.
- Only cut in the opposite direction to the direction of the cutting part.
- Place the mirror on a stable support with a maximum 15° inclination.
- As you work, put unnecessary scraps in the drawer and put them in the trash as they accumulate.
- Remove glass from drawers with care. If glass is cracked, remove it in individual pieces.
- Do not cut the piece on your knees.
- Use electric glass cutters carefully.
- If the product has been brought in from the cold, be sure to warm it up.
- Sweep the floor and clean the workbenches with a special brush. Do not try to blow off glass dust.
- Shake the safety suit thoroughly before finishing work to remove any shredded glass particles.
Can a cheap glass cutter cut 1/4 inch mirror?
First the entire surface of the mirror should be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed with a soda solution.
The place where you are going to cut must be flat, so that the mirror will lie flat on the whole surface.
How to cut a circle out of glass
In order to be able to cut a circle out of glass, you can use several different ways, which may differ depending on the diameter of the future circle and, of course, the thickness of the glass.
The easiest and most common way to cut a straight circle is to use a circle cutter. Usually, having such a tool in the household is quite rare. But for this purpose, you can also use an ordinary tool.
How to cut a circle out of glass properly with a glass cutter video
How to Cut Mirror Glass. QUICK
First of all, you will need to mark the central part of the future product and fasten the special suction cup on it. Then to this suction cup it is necessary to tie a strong thread or fishing line with a length equal to the radius of the planned circle. To the end of this rope you need to tie the glass cutter itself. Pull as much rope and then hold the tool line on a circle around the suction cup. When the circle is drawn, it is very important to additionally make more bevels, which will eliminate unnecessary pieces of glass around the finished product.
How to cut a large mirror without breaking it
Cutting a mirror differs from glass only in that it can only be done from the front. The other conditions are the same, which means it is necessary to have:
- A table whose surface area is larger than the size of the mirror;
- A long ruler or a strip of hard material with a thickness of about 8 mm;
- glass cutter;
- A small hammer and pliers.
It is also desirable to have a soft and non-slippery natural cloth and some small thin pieces of rubber or leather. By the way, pieces of leather are much easier to find.
All this refers to the case when it comes to a simple cutting.
Shaped will require additional conditions:
Detailed instruction: how to properly cut a mirror with a glass cutter
Sometimes you want to buy a mirror of any intricate shape, but it is quite difficult to find non-standard items in stores.
Mirror, as well as glass cloth is cut with a glass cutter. You can buy it at any construction market or in a specialized store. Such a tool takes up little space and sooner or later will definitely be needed.
There are several varieties of glass cutters, each adapted to perform certain tasks:
- Diamond. This is the most durable option, it cuts through 10 km of glass, in the history of glass cutters nothing more reliable has not been invented. However, it requires experience in work, and if the necessary skill is not much, it is better to choose other variant of the tool.
- Roller. its working part is made of a cobalt and tungsten alloy. It is inferior to diamond in durability, but strong enough. For cutting indirect lines it is very convenient.
- Oil. The principle of its construction is the same as that of a roller cutter, but it has an additional reservoir built in the handle and filled with oil. This option is designed for cutting thick glass. So if the mirror you choose is from this category, choose it, with this tool the work will be easy and fast.
Advice If you cut a lot of mirrors, it is better to buy a glass cutter with grease, it will last longer.
With what and how to cut a mirror at home
Sometimes, when there is no possibility to take the mirror to the workshop in order to cut the desired size and shape, such manipulation can be carried out at home.
The mirror. an integral part of any interior.
But, for its successful completion it is necessary to know the basic technological steps of glass cutting, what tools can be used to do it, and do not forget about the precautions.