How to cut a square hole in tile
The best ways to drill through tile
There are five main ways of drilling holes, which we will tell you more about. So, drilling is done with:
- special tile drill bits. Designed for small holes. These drills have no threads and have a pointed tip. The tips come in tetrahedral, but there are certain difficulties in sharpening. These drills work well with mosaic and glass;
- Concrete drill bits with pobedite tips. Available to almost every owner, you can save money on buying. If it does not have a carbide tip, it will do, you just need to resharpen the end, giving it the shape of an ordinary drill;
- self-tapping screws with LM tip (flea-tipped). They are used to make holes in wall tiles, which is characterized by a certain softness. Self-tapping screw with LM tip just screws into it. To get one hole you need to use 2-3 of these screws;
- diamond tile crowns. Suitable for large and small diameters, for pipes, sockets, switches. Available in strictly fixed diameters, min 5 mm But they are worth it, because they have a long enough service life. Very commonly used for drilling on porcelain tiles.
- circular drills. ballerinas. The pilot drill has a sharp tip in the center, and the rod is equipped with a movable cutter. This allows any diameter to be adjusted and eliminates the need to buy crowns for different sizes. Cost between 300 and 500. With the help of ballerina it is easy to make a hole in the central part of the tile.
Regardless of what method you will use, the main thing is not to forget about turning off the shock mode on the power tool and set to work at minimum speed, otherwise you are guaranteed to get chipped.
Holes with small diameter (4-12 mm)
Only drill bits with small diameters, but not of the same design, are used for this kind of application. A drill, an accelerator or an electric screwdriver with variable speed is needed.
The technology actually consists of two steps. First, a hole is created in tile, porcelain tile at low speed. Then drill to the required depth on a wall or floor screed.
Regardless of design, the sharpening of the cutting edges of the drill bit must be checked before starting work. Glazed glossy tiles are inconvenient to mark with a pencil, marker, so the surface of the tiles in the right areas are usually covered with adhesive tape or masking tape.
The industry produces two types of such tooling, which allows you to quickly drill tiles in the bathroom with a minimum repair budget:
double-bladed lance. cylindrical shank, tip made of hard VK8 alloy (tungsten carbide with 8% m cobalt);
Two-blade lance bit.
Four-blade drill bit “lance.
Bi-lobe drills can be sharpened as the cutting edges wear out. The tooling is inexpensive (diameter of 6 mm from 60 ), drills very fast. The four-blade lance cannot be sharpened by hand, it costs more than the previous option (5 mm diameter from 170 ). In fact, it is a disposable, expensive, maintenance-free tool.
Both are not suitable for penetrating concrete/masonry walls. After obtaining a hole in the tile drill bit will have to be replaced with a standard drill bit for peorator or an equivalent for an impact drill with a cylindrical tail.
Lance tip is sharp enough, so you can do without tipping. It is enough to set the tool in place, lightly hit the back of the drill, an electric screwdriver with your free hand.
Hammer drill or carbide-tipped drill bit
The tips of auger-drills and drills are made of cBN, i.e. alloy ВК4. ВК10. However, the shape of the cutting part is designed for rapid, accurate destruction of homogeneous structural materials. concrete, brick.
Drill bit and auger with a tungsten carbide tip
In order not to damage the ceramic tiles, drilling must be done without impact, at 800. 900 rpm, preferably with a new, unused drill/drill bit. This way is suitable only for usual ceramics, it is not suitable for porcelain stoneware because the drill bit is initially rather blunt and it is problematic to drill porcelain stoneware in hammerless mode.
It is the only option for one-tool drilling without changing drill bits. After passing over the tile, the peorator or drill switches to percussion mode.
Regardless of the core bit diameter, the tip always glides on glazed tiles. Several options are used to increase the accuracy of drilling:
Conductor on suction cup.
Block drill jig.
Painting tape instead of core bit.
In principle, it is enough to slightly damage the enamel in the place of drilling with a steel scriber, self-drilling screw, dowel, so that at low speeds quite accurately zaliznite in porcelain tiles, tile. A drill bit with a cylindrical shank costs 30 to 50, depending on the diameter. Peorator drill is slightly more expensive. from 50. 70 per.
There are two varieties of tubular special drill bit for ceramic/glass:
classical. a standard tube with a window for removing the material to be broken, electroplated, less often. vacuum application of diamond chips on the end face of the tool;
The tubular drill bit is a miniature drill bit.
The porcelain tile sector drill bit.
The classic tubular drill bit is the miniature equivalent of a drill bit without a pilot drill bit. The tool destroys the material along the outer ring, the middle falls out at the end of the drilling.
The sector drill has a much larger contact area with the tile. Turning of the tool actually destroys the whole tile material inside the perimeter of the cutting edge. The process takes a little longer, but the diamond particles are evenly distributed in the tip.
Unlike the lance drill, the small-diameter diamond bits work equally well on tiles and porcelain tiles with a hardened inner layer. Therefore, it is better to choose this option for installing a floor toilet on porcelain tile flooring.
The sectorial drills are produced by a limited number of manufacturers, most often there are products of Emar brand. The tool has unique features:
- resource drill 800 holes in porcelain stoneware;
- 70 holes until the drilling accuracy is noticeably reduced;
- the height of the diamond tip is 8 mm;
- The length of the tool is 80 mm;
- for a 6 mm diameter drill bit.
When working with drill bits and tubular drills without a guide element, it is necessary to have the skill to drill correctly:
- When marking, instead of a simple cross, the tiles are marked with a life-size circle using a marker;
- The drill is placed at a 45° angle to the porcelain tile / tile surface;
Starting with a tube drill.
Moving to the normal position for final drilling.
As the tool is expensive, after passing the tiles, it is replaced by a regular drill, the wall is drilled already with this budget tool.
Using a jigsaw
Holes in tile intended for socket or pipe installation can be made with an electric jigsaw equipped with a diamond wire. Such a device can be used both to start the formation of a hole from the edge of the tile, and for drilling, carried out in the center of the processed product. In the latter case it is necessary to make a preliminary hole, for which an electric drill with a drill bit is used.
To cut tiles with an electric jigsaw, special saws on ceramics are used
The procedure of drilling in tile a hole of considerable diameter, for the implementation of which an electric jigsaw is used, is carried out in the following sequence:
- On the front part of the tile the edges of the future hole are pre-marked.
- If a part of the resulting contour coincides with the edge of the tile, you can immediately start processing.
- If the contour does not coincide with the edge of the tile, you should first drill a hole of small diameter in the workpiece, into which you must pass the cutting thread of the jigsaw.
- A circular or shaped cutout must be made to the inner contour of the marking. This will allow to maintain the size of the hole to be formed.
Secure the tile with a clamp before cutting
According to the method described above shaped or round hole in ceramic tiles can be made with an ordinary hacksaw. However, in this case, the quality of its performance will be much worse than when using an electric jigsaw.
Drilling the tile in the process of laying on the wall
If you need to make holes in the tile for mounting boxes, pipes or a faucet in the process of laying ceramics on the wall, you can also drill them in different ways.
On the face of ceramic tiles with an alcoholic marker to draw a circle of desired diameter and along its contour, also without leaving the boundaries, drilled holes with a diameter of 3-4 mm at small increments with a concrete drill. Then grinder (angle grinder) disc diameter of 115 mm, designed for cutting stone, make inside the contour 2-3 through cuts and wire cutters vysokrasivayut of tile unnecessary fragments. The edges are processed with coarse sandpaper, put on a round bar of suitable diameter, to flatness and absence of chips.
In the following method, the circle in the tile is cut by notching the grinder groove on the contour of the circle applied to the glaze, then make through cuts crosswise inside the contour and remove small fragments with wire cutters. The chips on the edges of the hole are removed with coarse sandpaper or a file.
Drilling a hole using a drill bit is done by rotating the drill bit
A round hole in the tile before laying can also be made with a special device called a “ballerina”. The nozzle is a movable cutter mounted on a rod, which is rotated by an electric tool around the axis of the center drill. The process of drilling “ballerina” consists of the following parts:
- marking the center of the circle;
- setting the cutter to the desired diameter of the circle to be cut out;
- glaze cutter;
- making a groove on the back of the tile;
- Finishing the circle from the front side.
Thanks to the ability to move the cutter along the bar, the tool can be adjusted to cut a hole of the desired diameter within the length of the bar. This eliminates the need to buy crowns of different diameters.
Make a hole for the socket in the tile can also be a method of beating out. On the tile marker to draw the contour of the circle and in the middle drill 2-3 holes close together, after which the cutters crumble the walls between them. Then, using the hammer placed on the floor as an anvil, with light blows of the blunt end of the chisel they crush the edge of the hole in a circle, expanding it to the desired diameter.
Wiring boxes for sockets and switches can be square, and if you want to cut a square instead of a circle, use a different tool and techniques. To make a hole for a box of rectangular format rosettes, on the glaze with a spirit marker put the outline.
Examples of failed tile drilling for electrical outlets
To avoid the formation of cracks in the subsequent cutting, the corners of the square must be drilled through holes with a diameter of 8-10 mm. Then, having secured the tiles to the board, a grinder with a disc on concrete make through cuts along the perimeter. The edges and corners of the square for the socket are finished with coarse sandpaper or a pencil file.
Complex shapes are cut out with a diamond wire, inserted into a metal hacksaw.
On large-format ceramic tile other than porcelain tile, complex cutouts are made with a diamond-tipped jigsaw. The cutout in porcelain stoneware is performed with a diamond disc grinder.
In order not to break the tile when drilling, the distance from the edge of the hole to the edge of the product should be at least 20 mm.
What should be the hole for the socket in the tile. What are the dimensions?
A small video of marking and cutting an opening in porcelain stoneware for a socket.
To date, I found on the Russian-language Internet only one expert, who agrees with my way of making a hole in the tile under the sockets. Basically, this method causes only disputes and accusations of unprofessionalism (like “kolhoznik”).
Although many video clips in the Western countries show how they even cut out square holes for pipes:
This article is not for “pros”, but for those who want to make a quick and easy, “kolhoznomu”. To compare how most craftsmen act in this matter the clip below. They can not be reworked. it is a pattern break. Very few people are willing to compromise their principles for the sake of perfection.
How to drill a hole in the tiles of large diameter. a step by step guide
When carrying out repairs, there is often a need to get a hole of large diameter of 100 mm. to install drains or floor drains. Bits and ballerinas of this size for domestic purposes on sale difficult to find, drills to do the job long, so the best method. the use of angle grinder. Ceramic cutting is done as follows:
- First of all, to reduce dust and facilitate the cutting, the tiles are dipped in water for a while. Keep in mind that all adhesive compositions are designed to glue dry tiles, so some time is needed for them to dry after cutting the hole. To speed up the work, many tilers do not wet the ceramic, gluing it immediately after cutting the fragment.
- On the inside with a marker or pencil mark the contour of the area to be cut out. Many tilers do this from the glazed side, which subsequently leads to knocking down the glaze and obtaining poor quality edges.
- Carve a circular fragment from the inside. The large diameter of the hole allows you to do it immediately on the contour without first cross-cutting in the center and cutting squares. Angle grinder at the same time held at an angle with an inclination in the center of the circle, first make a small depression, which increases with each pass. The radius of the cut circle is a few millimeters less than the required size.
- After several passes of the angle grinder on a circle to determine the moment when the circle can be easily knocked out, for reliability, you can leave in some places solid cuts.
- Since the circle was cut from the inside, its edges inside will be very thin. this will easily give it the right geometric shape with wire cutters or pliers.
How to rationally perform a cutout in the tile
Let’s assume that we have a water-operated electric tile cutter with a bottom-mounted motor. The coolant container is located underneath the disc and the disc is partially submerged in it during operation. A handheld tile cutter will greatly facilitate the work to be done.
You can use it to make an incision in the glaze and use special paws to break the tile along the line of the incision. We will also need pliers.
Using a marker and ruler we draw the contour of the planned cutout. Then with the help of a water tile cutter and a disc for working with ceramic tile on the marks we cut two equal and parallel to each other and the sides of the line. You can not fear that the disk will overheat or the thermal stress will break the tile. The working body, catching water from the container, cools itself and the place of the cut, so the working temperature does not go beyond the permissible value.
Using its cut-off roller, guide the trimmer-tap line across the glaze from one to the other slit made with the water tile cutter. You could use the legs of the same tool to break off the “tongue” outlined by the two slits and one notch. But we will do it in a slightly different way.
We use the pliers that we have at hand. Grasping their jaws fill the notch and lightly press the handles. You hear a characteristic sound, and the extra piece of tile is left in the jaws of the pliers, breaking off exactly along the line of incision.
Methods and tools for cutting a hole in the tiles for a socket or pipe
In the course of the ongoing repair of a house or apartment, it is often necessary to carry out operations that require a special approach to them. For example, a hole in a ceramic tile. This situation is quite common, because in kitchens, bathrooms, showers and other rooms where ceramic linings are used, installed outlets, pipes, vents, chimneys and so on. and for them in the finish have to make holes of different shapes and sizes. So it is worth taking apart all the ways to carry out this process. For example, how to make a hole in the tile for a socket.
Cutting holes in the tiles correctly
Before you drill a hole in the tile, make marks with a contrasting marker. To avoid the slipping of the drill bit from the smooth surface of the tile, the place of drilling is glued with plaster or paper tape.
If you intend to use a drill jig, it is brought to the mark with a suitable diameter cutout and secured.
The drill should be placed at right angles to the tile surface. To begin, the drill is turned on at minimum speed with the lowest pressure. Once the drill has gone deep enough, you can switch to medium speed of the power tool. But even then, drilling is performed accurately, without undue haste.
Many masters, before drilling through the tile, in the marked place punch a small hole with a puncher. Then the lance drill can simply be inserted there, and it will have no play in the groove.
If in the process of repair work it is necessary to drill and part of the base, the process is carried out in two steps. The first step, using the appropriate tool, is to drill through the tile. Then the drill bit is changed for the specific surface and, if necessary, for example, for concrete, the impact mode of the drill is switched on or a geared motor is used.
How to properly drill a hole in ceramic tiles for a socket
Of course, it is easier to cut holes with a small diameter. it can be enlarged later on by repeating the operation with a larger-diameter drill. And how to cut a round hole in a large diameter ceramic tile? There are two possible options to use:
- Carbide metal cutting bits with diamond coating. This is a rather expensive tool, so you need to consider how justified it is to buy it. Bits must not overheat, so while working they are moistened with water, and always work at low revolutions of the drill.
- For a single job, there is a more affordable option. Studded teeth instead of diamond plating. the tool comes in various diameters, up to 15 cm. These tools must be handled with extreme care. Unfortunately, the edges are uneven in any case. The obvious disadvantage of tooth crowns is that they are short-lived; they are only able to provide about 20 cutouts.
- ballerina. When working with this tool, keep in mind that the side drill bit and the center drill bit must be set at half the distance from each other as the hole size is set.
If you do not have special tools at hand, you can get a large-sized hole in the following way: