How to cut a tile at 45 degrees
How to cut a tile at 45 degrees?
For high-quality cutting tiles proper with the glass cutter, you will need such tools as:
- The glass cutter itself with a thin cutting disk;
- marker for marking the cut line;
- A metal ruler as a guide for the glass cutter;
- A nail or a wooden bar for the padding under the place of the break;
- Work gloves to protect your hands.
Tips and tricks
Before you cut tiles with a glass cutter, it is recommended to buy a model with a thin disc instead of a diamond tip, it is much easier to cut and at a break the edges remain flat. If you have a large volume of work, it makes sense of course to rent a professional tool or buy your own if your budget allows.
Even after cutting with a professional tool, many times the cut edges are not sharp. This is due to the uneven depth of the cut, the poor quality of the ceramic tile or lack of experience in carrying out such work. However, the situation can easily be corrected by mending the cut edges with sandpaper of medium or coarse fraction.
If you had to work with porcelain stoneware, it is desirable not to use the glass cutter, because this material has other characteristics. Such tiles are much thicker than ceramic tiles and much stronger. For an ordinary glass cutter such material is not under power and it will be almost impossible to get a quality cut. The same applies to floor tiles, which differ significantly from wall tiles in strength and thickness of the product.
To facilitate the work and significantly improve the quality of the cut when working with wall tiles, experts recommend soaking the material in plain water for 3-4 hours before cutting it. Since tile has a porous structure, water will significantly soften the product and allow you to make quality cuts, even if you do not have enough experience
It is important to remember, if you need to make a cut at a distance of less than 1 cm from the edge of the product, then it is not recommended to use a glass cutter, because to make a good bevel without the proper equipment will not work
With what and how to cut a tile at an angle of 45 degrees
Electric tile cutter
Electric tile cutter is an expensive, but necessary tool for a lot of tile cutting. Makes a straight cut and a fillet at a chosen angle. You can set the value from 0 to 45. In practice, most often the tiles are cut at 45 degrees. High-quality models are equipped with a cooling system. Thanks to it, tiles and tools are not in danger of overheating and the dustiness of the working place is reduced. The quality of cutting is not affected by the water supply.
The 45 degree tile cutting machine with cooling system can be operated at high speed.
Consider purchasing an electric tool if you need to cut hard and expensive material. porcelain tile. The following models are the most popular:
- Zubr EP-200-1000S (Russia). stationary floor tile cutter. The machine is expensive (21-22 thousand), designed for professionals and allows you to saw off tiles of any thickness.
- Zubr EP-180-600H (Russia). compact table model. It performs straight cutting and filing of tiles at an angle from 0 to 45 degrees. Characterized by a low noise level and absence of dust: water is supplied to the place of cutting. Reasonable price (4000 ) can be attractive for the beginners.
- Feida TC 200 and Feida TC 250 (China) models. help to accurately bevel high quality at an angle from 0 to 45 degrees.
- Machine tool for cutting tiles Einhell TH-TC 618 (China). allows you to cut and bevel various ceramics under the condition that the depth of trimming will not exceed 22 mm.
If in the process of beveling, you catch the glaze on the tile, it will turn out with jagged edges. In this case, it will be necessary to carefully grind the chips with sandpaper.
If you cut a tile slightly less than 45 degrees, it’s easier to form a right angle.
You will need the tool if you are tiling and do a lot of material trimming.
To work in one apartment, it is not rational to buy an electric tile cutter. Qualitatively cut ceramic tiles under 45 degrees you can use an angle grinder (angle grinder). It is easier and faster to file the corner with a diamond disk. Most likely, the edge will be uneven. Such defects are grinded with turtles. If you only need to file the material within one apartment when tiling, you can use a cheaper option instead: replaceable Velcro sanding discs.
Important! You should choose a high-powered angle grinder with a speed regulator (for trimming, the minimum value is set).
The models are acceptable in price and technical characteristics:
Quality diamond discs:
- BIZON 0512003, thickness 1.8 mm;
- Union 9020-04-150x22K, h= 2 mm;
- Expert (180×25.4/22.2 mm) PRACTICE 034-793 (for porcelain tiles);
- Professional KEOS DBP01.200 on porcelain stoneware (180×25.4/22.2).
The quality of the filing depends on the type of nozzle on the angle grinder for the final stage of cutting at 45 degrees. A good result provides a diamond wheel (flexible, grinding) AGSHK 100 0 “Turtle.
Disadvantages of tile trimming to form outside corners
When using the technology of grinding the edge of the tile or porcelain stoneware at an angle of 45 degrees the edge of the finishing material is thinned. As a result, its edge becomes very fragile and subject to destruction under external physical influences. Therefore, the use of this technology is not allowed in the finishing of steps and exterior walls in areas with high traffic. In such cases, it is recommended to use special decorative plastic or metal corners.
Advice from the experts
To work with porcelain tiles it is preferable to use a professional electric tile cutter, as it is adapted to work with the harder material. And this material itself costs more, so you want to minimize its loss during processing.
When filing the angle can be done not 45 degrees, but sharper. This will make it a little easier to glue the tiles at right angles.
When working with beveled corners, quality grout is very important, since a clipped tile can even be caught with a clothing strap. This can lead to the breakage of its fragment. If the chip still occurred, but at this point you are not going to replace this tile, grout will help hide the defect. They come in a variety of colors, so it’s easy to match the color of the ceramics. There is also another option: to use any available grout and touch up the paint on top in the desired shade.
When after laying tiles on the joints are visible small imperfections, for example, from the failed grinding of the glaze, you can use masking compounds that will hide the imperfections. Such remedies are convenient to use. in the cap, as a rule, there is a small brush. The main thing is to carefully study the instructions. Note that we are talking about very minor flaws, not chipped pieces of ceramic. Corrective agent will be an indispensable assistant, if you need to “discolor” a small crack on the tile, and on any ceramic product.
If you have sufficient experience with finishing materials, you can do everything yourself. If you do not have the necessary skills, but finances allow hiring experienced workers, it is better to trust professionals. then the quality of work can be no doubt.
How to make a tile filing at an angle of 45 degrees, see below.
What to cut a tile at an angle of 45 degrees
Electric tile cutter
Electric tile cutter is an expensive, but necessary tool for a lot of tile cutting. Makes a straight cut and nailing at the selected angle. You can set the value from 0 to 45. In practice, most often the tiles are cut at 45 degrees. High-quality models are equipped with a cooling system. Thanks to this, tiles and the tool is not in danger of overheating and reduces the dustiness of the workplace. The water flow does not affect the quality of the cut.
Consider buying an electric tool if you have to trim hard and expensive material. porcelain tile. The following models are the most popular:
- Zubr EP-200-1000S (Russia). stationary floor tile cutter. Machine tool is expensive (21-22 thousand), designed for professionals and allows you to cut tiles of any thickness.
- Zubr EP-180-600H (Russia). compact table model. It is used for straight cutting and trimming tiles at an angle from 0 to 45 degrees. Characterized by low noise level and absence of dust: water is supplied to the place of cutting. Reasonable price (4000 ) can be attractive for beginners.
- Models Feida TC 200 and Feida TC 250 (China). help to accurately cut the high quality chamfer at an angle of 0 to 45 degrees.
- Machine for cutting tiles Einhell TH-TC 618 (China). allows you to saw and make the trimming of various ceramics, provided that the depth of cut will not exceed 22 mm.
If you cut the tile in a little less than 45 degrees, it is easier to form a right angle.
To work in one apartment to buy an electric tile cutter is not rational. You can qualitatively cut ceramic tiles at an angle of 45 degrees with an angle grinder (angle grinder). It is easier and faster to perform the work with a diamond disc. The edge is likely to be uneven. Such defects are ground with turtles. If the amount of work. one apartment, you can use a cheaper option instead: a removable sanding discs on velcro.
- BIZON 0512003, 1.8 mm thick;
- Soyuz 9020-04-150x22K, h= 2 mm;
- Expert (180×25.4/22.2 mm) PRACTICE 034-793 (for porcelain tiles);
- Professional KEOS DBP01.200 on porcelain stoneware (180×25.4/22.2).
The quality of the work depends on the type of nozzle on the angle grinder for the final 45-degree cut. A diamond wheel (flexible, grinding) AGSHK 100 0 “Turtle” provides a good result.
How and what to cut a tile of large format?
The day comes when the tiles to be laid don’t fit in your tile cutter.
And there is an endless series of questions:
- Which tile cutter to buy, mechanical or electric?
- What length?. What if tomorrow the tiles will be 5 cm more?
- How often will you need a new tool?
- Expensive or cheap. How much does common sense tell you to spend?
- Where is the guarantee that the new tool will cut without problems?
How the decision was made, what were the arguments in favor of one or another option can be tracked almost in real time.
Tubadzin PIETRASANTA POL tiles are to be laid
Like in the fairy tale about the stone at the fork of three roads. Depends on where you go. it depends on what you find and how much you lose.
I can see two main directions:
- Cut tiles with a roller and then break them.
- To cut with a cutting disk mounted on various tools and devices.
Complexity of a choice consists also that both directions have, still and enough variants of execution.
The first thing that comes to mind. you need a mechanical tile cutter with a cutting length of 120 cm. Cheap options fall away immediately. Of the available tile cutters firm Battipav.
The first option is to cut large format tiles.
Stops you from buying the idea that perhaps this tool will be used only once:
It makes more sense to take the second option. The guide consists of several parts, which makes it possible to make it of the required length. The maximum possible height is 340 cm. This is a guarantee that this system is suitable for any possible tile format and will always be in demand:
Other brand name tool manufacturers have similar systems. For example, the SIGMA.
The price of the tool stops. on a small amount of work the tool will not pay off. In addition, to cut corners and holes, you still need a turbine (angle grinder). How to combine two cuts?
And the main question: how will the tiles break?? The preliminary test cut with a tile cutter on the small side was not successful. Out of 4 attempts, two were unsuccessful:
An unsuccessful attempt to cut porcelain tile on the short side
To the doubts were added facts and reports of unsuccessful cases of using such a method of cutting even with a Montolite system.
Therefore, the second case study began, which had many variations in execution:
Each option has its own advantages. The machine (a good one) allows you to cut almost without chipping on the tiles. Quickly and easily (without dust) get the cut at 45 degrees. But there are some inconveniences in work and the main problem is the length of cut tiles you can’t keep up with:
And the main thing that keeps you from stopping at this option. the practicality of such a machine on small volumes:
Electric tile cutter in an apartment with trim.
The second option lacks some of the disadvantages of the machine, but also does not have any special advantages. That leaves the cost of the issue for both cases. The most interesting option is the Festool Diamant DSC-AG 125 Plus-FS cut-off system for 500
While searching I unexpectedly came across a very down-to-earth way to solve the problem of cutting large format tiles:
What’s the payoff? Simplicity and cheapness of performance. The aluminum wedge is always at hand. Clamps are not a problem. Cutting tool can be purchased at a reasonable price:
Electric tile cutters “Makita”.
In terms of price, both options are the same. But the battery version has these characteristics:
That is, the speed is insignificant and the disk from the angle grinder is not suitable.
But you can go for a super economical option. just buy an attachment for angle grinder Mechanic 125 Slider (19568442010). For those who like “expensive toys” this is not the right choice. Too easy and cheap.
Angle grinder attachment,
- The table to make from a pallet (throw it on the floor and cover it with a piece of drywall).
- The guide bar is made of aluminum wedge with holes at the ends.
- Clamps. two self-tapping wood screws, screwed into the holes on the wedge.
The most expensive investment was the DISTAR 1A1R MULTIGRES 125×1,4x10x22,23 tile disk. Hardness 7D. The other two Distar tile cutting discs are not suitable for this application.
The big disadvantage is the dust. If you want, you can find a similar nozzle with a vacuum cleaner nozzle. But you have to get used to the dust extraction hose. Cutting simply, with a nozzle is a new skill, it takes some getting used to, and then there’s the hose.
Features of cutting large-format tiles angle grinder.
Cutting a tile begins with the cutting of two ends. Next 3-4 passes over the entire cut, with a gradual burst or immediately pass in a full cut.
If you do not make notches, the tile breaks at the end unpredictably. tested:
Cutting tiles from both sides.
This rule is also true for wet cutting on the machine:
Tile manufacturers (or those who try to speak for them) attribute this to the fact that large-format tiles have a lot of internal stress. When cutting in the conventional way, they can splinter.
Similarly, when cutting holes in such tiles, it is advised to first drill round holes in the corners of the future window, and only then, cut:
Electric tile cutter
As the name suggests, the tile cutter is a more highly specialized tool, which means that tile sawing with it can be done more qualitatively. Of course, not everyone will buy it for a single use. If we are talking about a quality model with additional functions, then this tool will cost quite a lot. In addition, you can achieve really good results on it with experience, so you will have to spend some time to acquire the necessary skills.
If we are talking about professional finishers, they must have an electric tile cutter in their arsenal. Cutting tiles with it takes less time, and the dust of such a machine leaves less.
The tile cutter works in two modes:
With its help, you can cut strips thinner than 5 mm, even from hard tiles. To avoid melting, water is supplied to the place of sawing. It also immediately removes dust and debris.
Using a tile cutter
To learn how to work properly with this tool, you need to follow a certain order of action:
- A piece of masking tape is glued to the tile in the place of the bevel.
- Mark the desired width of the trim on the tile with a pencil and ruler.
- Position it on the platform of the tool.
- Press the tile down and gently push it against the disc. First you need to saw off the excess, and then engage in sanding the corner.
- It is necessary to avoid touching the glaze, otherwise the edges will look uneven. If the superficial decorative layer of the tile is still damaged, you can sand it down with an emery machine if you are skilled enough.
Features of cutting mosaic
In modern interior design is often used mosaic coating. It is used in the lining of columns, bathtubs, boxes, allows you to perform finishing in the original style, to create entire paintings. For convenience, ready-made modules from 30×30 cm, consisting of small elements. When making the trim, the main goal is to securely hold the small pieces in place.
Boring on the machine is carried out as follows:
- The module with the mosaic is placed between two sheets of plywood about 1 cm thick, face down. In this case it is necessary to step 1-2 cm away from the edge of the tile.
- The whole structure is fastened with self-tapping screws in 3-4 places, depending on the size of the module.
- The workpiece is placed on the working surface of the electric tile cutter. Set the cutting disk at an angle of 45 degrees and make an even cut of all fragments.
- The final trimming is performed with an angle grinder with a diamond disc.
- If necessary the surface is additionally treated with sandpaper.
- On the front side of the mosaic module is glued a masking tape: 2 strips overlapping. The distance from the edge is 1-2 cm. It provides sufficient fixing of small fragments.
- Trimming is done with an electric tile cutter on the back side of the tile. The module is placed on a firm base, such as a large tile.
- In order to obtain a more even and smooth cut, use an angle grinder.
- The final finishing is done with a device made of a wooden bar and sandpaper.
Deburring a mosaic angular grinder consists of the following steps:
- The ceramic module is placed between two plywood parts of the same shape and size. The upper element is placed 1-2 cm from the edge of the mosaic.
- From above, the entire structure is closed with a board and clamps securely to the table.
- Deburring is performed by an angle grinder with a diamond disk in two steps: first, the entire module is sawn at an angle of 45 degrees. Then the surface of each piece is smoothed out more carefully.
- To make the place smooth, sandpaper is used.
Angle grinder should work on a minimum number of revolutions.
The disadvantages of the corner on the tile, sharpened at 45 degrees :
The corner becomes more vulnerable to impact. Especially if it is on the aisle. It’s enough to hook the slope with an empty metal bucket so that the piece of the emptied corner on the tile flew away. Increases the labor intensity of the work, and hence the price.
To snag such an angle can be anything, even a harmless belt buckle of a trouser belt:
Opinion of craftsmen on cutting tiles at a 45-degree angle.
Prepare a 45 angle on the tiles can also be done with the help of an angle grinder. A lot of dust. The wrong quality. But it is real. The main thing is that it’s cheap and always possible.
It is especially important to mark the correct angle when laying decorative stone. Often the corner elements for such products are not provided or are not available. A 45-degree angle stone cut is the only way out of this situation.
Angle on the decorative stone at 45 degrees.