How to cut mineral wool insulation
How and what to cut mineral wool
Recall that on the rules of cutting glass and ceramic tiles, the portal Rmnt.Ru wrote. Now let’s talk about cutting insulation.
Before working with mineral wool first of all you need to take care of your own safety. During the cutting of insulation always rises up small particles, prickly dust, and it is not healthy. gets in the respiratory tract and can cause skin irritation. Therefore, for work you need:
- Work suit made of thick fabric, completely covering the hands.
- Special protective goggles.
- Gloves with rubber or silicone coating.
Thin mineral wool. no more than 50 millimeters thick. can be cut:
- An ordinary kitchen knife to cut the loaf. It has a serrated edge so that the loaf crumbles less. This is also true for mineral wool.
- A clerical knife.
- With a construction knife.
For insulation material of a greater thickness such simple tools are no longer suitable. You have to use:
- Special knives. Their length is about 30 centimeters. Offer such knives most often manufacturers of insulation itself, they have teeth, which may be of different sizes. It is necessary to choose a knife with teeth depending on the density and thickness of mineral wool.
- An ordinary hacksaw, but not for wood, but for metal.
- A saw with unbranched teeth.
At home, special machines for cutting mineral wool, of course, are rarely used, since they cost a lot, and will be needed only in the process of insulating the house.
Important! In addition will need a level or just an even stick on which to cut the mineral wool, so that the cut was accurate, did not get skewed. This will prevent the material from deteriorating.
Cutting mineral wool, you need to adhere to the following rules:
- Sharpen the cutting tool to minimize dust and avoid the risk of tearing the material into separate fibers.
- The boards should be cut one by one, taking out of the package, but the insulation material in rolls should be cut without unrolling.
- It is necessary to leave an allowance of about 2 centimeters to ensure a snug fit of the material inside the crate.
- it is not necessary to cut the mineral wool in advance, this will increase the risk that the piece will lose its shape. Cut the insulation to the right size, lay it down, you can proceed to the next.
Cutting ROCKWOOL Comfortbatt
In fact, there is nothing difficult in the process of cutting mineral wool. You just need to take care of a handy tool, protection for the face and body, as well as follow the simple rules of safety. In particular, regularly take breaks in the work and ventilate the room, if the cutting is done inside the house. Also, you can not throw sliced pieces of insulation, so as not to raise dust unnecessarily. Carry and lay them carefully.
How and what to cut mineral wool
When working with such a popular insulation material, such as mineral wool, it is inevitable to have to resort to cutting pieces of the right size. RMNT website will tell you in detail how to cut mineral wool and what tools you will need for this.
Recall that on the rules of cutting glass and ceramic tiles, the portal Rmnt.ru wrote. Now let’s talk about cutting insulation.
Before working with mineral wool first of all you need to take care of your own safety. When cutting insulation always rises up small particles, prickly dust, and it is bad for health gets into the respiratory tract and can cause skin irritation. Therefore, for the work you need:
- A work suit of thick fabric, completely covering the hands.
- Special goggles. with a rubber or silicone coating.
Thin mineral wool no thicker than 50 millimeters can be cut:
- A regular kitchen knife to cut the loaf. It has a serrated edge, so that the loaf is less crumbly. This is also true for mineral wool.
- A box cutter.
- A construction knife.
Such simple tools are no longer suitable for thicker insulation material. You will have to use:
- Special knives. They are about 30 centimeters long. Offer such knives most often manufacturers of the insulation itself, they have teeth, which can be of different sizes. Choose the right knife with teeth according to the density and thickness of the mineral wool.
- An ordinary hacksaw, but not for wood, but for metal.
- A saw with unbranched teeth.
At home, special machines for cutting mineral wool, of course, are rarely used, as they cost a lot, and will only be needed in the process of insulating the house.
Important! In addition, you will need a level or just an even stick on which to cut the mineral wool, so that the cut was accurate, do not get skewed. It will allow to avoid a damage of the material.
Cutting mineral wool, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- Sharpen the cutting tool to minimize the amount of dust and avoid the risk of tearing the material into separate fibers.
- Pieces should be cut one by one, taking out of the package, but the insulation in rolls should be cut without unrolling.
- It is necessary to leave an allowance of about 2 centimeters to ensure a tight fit of the material inside the crate.
- Mineral wool should not be pre-cut as this increases the risk of the piece losing its shape. The thermal insulation is cut to the required size, it is arranged, and it is possible to proceed to the following.
In fact, nothing complicated in the process of slicing mineral wool. It is only necessary to take care of a comfortable tool, protection for the face and body, as well as follow the simple rules of safety. In particular, regularly take breaks in the work and ventilate the room, if the cutting is done inside the house. Also, you can not throw the sliced pieces of insulation, so as not to raise the dust unnecessarily. Carry and lay them carefully.
Cutting Roxul (Rockwool) for ceiling install. FASTEST!!
How to transport thermal insulation correctly?
Mineral wool is one of the best, easiest and most common materials for insulation and soundproofing of walls and ceilings today, but also known in some other applications. In addition, it is easy to attach, that is, you can independently carry out insulation.
Many people do not know what to cut mineral wool properly without violating its structure, in this material we will consider all the ways to properly cut mineral wool, as well as advise tools that are best suited to this.
Mineral wool is commonly classified according to the principle of the material from which it is made. Hence the conclusion that mineral wool, made from different source materials, is also different in structure. the fibers, and, accordingly, the type of cutting. So there are the following types of mineral wool:
- Glass mineral wool. Consists of glass melts.
- Stone wool. Mostly made of various rock melts.
- Slag mine wool. Source material. blast furnace slag.
In fact, we should also pay attention to the fact that sometimes mineral wool is harmful. This is due to the fact that it contains dust and phenol-formaldehyde resins. Therefore, it is necessary to treat this material selectively, although mineral wool can not be attributed to the carcinogenic to humans.
Cutting mineral wool can be done independently at home, as well as with the use of various equipment. Equipment for cutting mineral wool can be different. The question is scale. A mineral wool cutting machine is the right choice for serious, large scale businesses, manufacturers, etc.д. A mineral wool knife, on the other hand, is an indispensable aid for cutting insulation materials at home.
It is important that the cutting of mineral wool does not damage the fibers, so the equipment must be chosen carefully. The cut should be flat. At home cutting rolls of mineral wool (so-called “50-sky”) will be convenient with a knife for cutting, but for the large (“100-sky”) will be convenient special hacksaw for insulation.
If you do not know what to cut mineral wool at home, we can advise you great tools best suited to the cutting of mineral wool.
So, to cut the mineral wool, it is best to use a good, sharp office knife or a hacksaw for metal, carefully cut the mineral wool in the right directions, for greater accuracy you can outline with a pencil mowing line or cut directly on the ruler. The process of cutting mineral wool is somewhat similar to cutting paralon, only you have to apply a little more force by pressing a little harder on the mineral wool cutting tool.
Mineral wool cutting, how and with what to cut mineral wool in rolls and slabs
the special thing about mineral wool is that it has a fiber structure and needs to be in one piece to be insulated. In this regard, special attention should be paid to the cutting process. Do not use cardboard or cloth scissors, or regular table knives to cut the material. These tools are not designed for such a material, because they can spoil its appearance and degrade its useful properties. Beginning repairers and builders are very useful to know what tools are suitable for this case.
What and how best to cut the mineral wool
Mineral insulation has a fibrous structure, violation of which leads to a decrease in thermal insulating properties. This makes it ineffective for cutting it with scissors for thick fabrics or cardboard, as well as table or office knives. Therefore, the answer to the question than to cut mineral wool correctly, without violating its structure, will be useful for beginners builders.
Performance features of basalt wool
Basalt and other rocks of its group are used for the manufacture of. They take thin fibers, in the melt of which limestone (10-15%) or charge is added. Additives increase the resistance of the material to extremely high temperatures, aggressive environment. As a result, there is a heater that has sufficiently high performance characteristics:
- Thermal insulation and hydrophobization. The first parameter is from 0,042 to 0,048 W/mK. Other known thermal insulation materials (e.g. polystyrene foam, polyurethane foam) have approximately the same properties. Minwool is not able to accumulate moisture (hygroscopicity is less than 1%), which makes it weightless. A distinctive feature can be called a vapor permeability, which guarantees insulation and at the same time intensive exchange of moisture between the environment and the walls of the building;
- density, strength. The insulation has a sufficient density (from 30 to 100 kg / cu. m), which guarantees high thermal insulation properties with optimum durability. The stiffness of the material is ensured by the direction of the fibers; they are arranged horizontally and vertically;
- sound insulation. Good noise protection characteristics are obtained due to the porous structure of wool;
- resistant to aggressive environment. wool is “indifferent” to alkalis, acids, it does not rot, fungus does not attack. Rodents also bypass this insulation;
- fire resistance. Basalt wool can withstand heat up to 700 ° C. This protects the structure from total destruction in a fire and gives time to evacuate the occupants;
- health and safety. In production, resins containing harmful substances (formaldehyde, phenol) are used. However, compliance with the technology implies their introduction into the composition of insulation in a chemically bound state. Substances become completely neutral to the environment and pose no danger to humans.
However, if the mineral wool is produced by an artisanal method, there are health hazards. Therefore it is advisable to buy the material from trusted manufacturers.
This can be done with different devices, depending on the thickness of the mineral wool.
- Kitchen loaf knife with serrated edge;
- assembly construction knife;
- office knife.
- special knives with a length of about 300 mm. Often they are offered by manufacturers of insulation materials. Such a tool has teeth of different sizes to cut mineral wool of different thicknesses and densities;
- saws with unbranched teeth;
- metal hacksaw;
- cutting machines. Used when cutting elements of complex shapes. However, for independent construction of their own house, that is, for a single use, to acquire such an expensive equipment is not advisable. you will have to adapt to the capabilities of other tools.
For a smooth, jag-free cut, do not try to cut the material in one long, longitudinal movement. It is best to proceed slowly and gently, making upward and downward motions without squeezing the insulation.
Safe working conditions
The basic component of mineral wool is thin and sharp fibers. In the process of work, they are detached from the base and lifted into the air. Contact of these particles with the body causes skin burning, eye irritation and mucous membrane irritation of the respiratory system.
To prevent damage to your own health, you need to create the following working conditions:
Working with Mineral Wool
- avoiding accidental entry of unauthorized persons to the place of work;
- Removing people and animals to a safe place if cutting is done outdoors;
- Use overalls, masks, respirators, sealed goggles and rubber gloves;
- Quality ventilation in the room, avoiding the entry of volatile substances in the adjacent rooms;
- cutting across the fibers to reduce the amount of volatile compounds;
- wet cleaning with prior cleaning of the surfaces with a vacuum cleaner;
- covering the insulation with plaster, vapor-permeable or windproof film for complete insulation.
After you have finished cutting and installing, take a shower, preferably under cool water so that the fibers more easily come off the skin and hair.
What are the mineral wool remnants useful for
If scraps of mineral wool remain after the work, you can use them to insulate, for example, a garage or a shed. Some people choose this budget-friendly insulation option, so you can sell the leftovers at a low price.
There is also the option of recycling waste for reuse. In this case, the remnants of mineral wool slabs are crushed using special equipment.
The remains of insulation do not need to be thrown away: they will also be useful for the pantry or utility room. Many people are looking for budgetary insulation, so they use scraps and remnants of the material.
Waste mineral wool can be recycled for later use. In this case, special machines are used.
For the process of insulating the room went properly, you should know what you need to cut mineral wool and how to do it. If you follow the simple rules of work with this insulation, you can achieve a good result.
We suggest to read How to level a wooden floor in a private house with their own hands?