How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth with a power drill
How to cut a ceiling plinth: work with or without a tool
Any repair requires attention to the smallest detail. The finish depends on the quality of the finish and the general appearance of the room. To a large extent this applies to the ceilings, which in most cases are not perfect, so to hide all the imperfections (and their walls), many owners use ceiling skirting boards, which give the rooms completeness. If the installation of baguettes in straight areas is not particularly difficult, the joints of elements in the corners require maximum accuracy. Therefore, many owners who are planning, or have already begun repairs, are interested in how to cut the ceiling plinth, what tools can be used for this stage of the work.
The answer to the question of how to cut a ceiling plinth, depends on what material it is made of. Cutting is different, because the baguettes have different density. Therefore, the first thing to consider is the most popular materials, and at the same time the peculiarities of their cutting.
These products have the lowest price, because the material is very unstable to mechanical influences. Styrofoam is easy to scratch, damage by accidental impact. Pros. minimum weight, which simplifies gluing, easy processing, the ability to paint in any color.
This foam material consists of small particles which can easily be separated. However, they are the main disadvantage of such baguettes. They require very sharp tools. Otherwise, the skirting can crumble, so it will be unsuitable for installation. This is true for both angular and flat cutting.
This contender is more expensive, but it does not differ much from the first candidate, because it is a “relative” of Styrofoam: it is produced from expanded polystyrene. This material also consists of small granule bubbles, but they fit together more densely. But Styrofoam will also not tolerate a blade that is not too sharp, it will also crumble. Therefore, the master must prepare no less sharp tool.
The main advantage of foam and polystyrene foam is their softness, which allows you to avoid gaps by pressing the workpieces tightly to each other and to the corners.
Extruded polystyrene foam
EPPS is made from the same raw materials as conventional polystyrene foam, but in this case uses a different, more advanced technology. Ordinary EPS is made with steam, which is run through microgranules.
To obtain extruded polystyrene foam, the particles are mixed at high temperature and the same pressure, and then a foaming agent is added to the raw material. Granule size in this material is much smaller (maximum 0.2 mm), as a result it crumbles less and is more durable. It does not require very sharp tools to cut it, but bluntness of the cutting edge is also not welcomed.
Plastic skirting boards (PVC). another type of ceiling products. It is usually purchased for bathroom applications. If we consider the topic “How to cut a ceiling plinth”, in this case they are exceptions, because for their docking use special, ready-made corners.
In general, these baguettes can be cut with a box cutter, a metal hacksaw, or a sharp kitchen tool. Since PVC products do not restore shape due to lack of elasticity, it is not recommended to put a lot of pressure on them when cutting.
This is another representative of polymer products. It is characterized by high density and lacks the disadvantages of previous competitors. It is easy to cut, so the tool must be sharp, but there are no maximum requirements for its sharpening. Skirting boards made of polyurethane do not crumble, do not deform, with honor endure almost any pressure.
This traditional material is cut with conventional carpentry tools: for example, a jigsaw, hand or electric. The places of the cut are processed by sandpaper or a file. Since such products are more expensive than other skirting boards, care is needed when working. You can make a serious mistake easily, but you can’t fix it anymore. The consequence of negligence will be the purchase of a new baguette.
An ideal tool for cutting wood would be an electric mitre saw. Its biggest disadvantage. the high price, especially for quality models. On the other hand, buyers have the opportunity to find an inexpensive tool, which will do a decent job.
Chisel for baseboards: basic rules of use
Everyone will be able to understand how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. For the process to go smoothly, you should familiarize yourself in advance with the main ways to create beautiful and even blanks.
The main rule of work is to observe the slope of the corners. If the baseboard is fixed to the right, the corner will be cut from the left side, and vice versa.
The chisel is a handy tool for fast processing of blanks
Polyurethane ceiling plinth: what is it, advantages and disadvantages, what it consists of, what kinds exist, how to choose, step-by-step installation of a molding, painting, restoration methods, average cost. in our publication.
Using decorative corners
These are special angled adapters that are usually furnished with polyurethane and polystyrene fasciae. Decorative corners are glued in the very corner, and baguettes are attached to them on both sides. Trimming in such a case is either not required at all, or is carried out with a simple office knife.
How to use the power drill correctly
Thanks to the chair, everyone will be able to saw those or other materials. But before you start the work, be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules of its application. In addition, prepare additional materials:
- hacksaw (the pitch of the teeth should correspond to the type of material to be processed);
- An assembly knife. it is necessary for cutting the foam baseboard;
- ruler and a pencil. for markings on the materials;
- sandpaper. for deburring irregularities and burrs.
- It is better to fix the skirting board in the jigsaw from the right side, and the corner is cut from the left side of the product;
- the left piece is fastened on the left side, and the corner is cut off on the right.
How to saw the material
During the sawing it is extremely important not to mix up the sides. To properly cut the material at an angle of 90 or 45 degrees by means of the jigsaw, it is fixed in the body, and then rested against the end wall.
And only then the material is sawn. If the tool is professional, you can adjust the size down to the millimeter.
Under each section you should make a template, taking into account the reserve of 50 mm. Since the walls in the rooms are not always even, before cutting the material, you should check how they fit together.
Sawing should be carried out as follows:
- Mark the line for the trimmer cut with a pencil;
- Place your workpiece in the body of the jigsaw with its front side so that the mark of the cutting line looks like a continuation of the slit in the tool;
- The workpiece from the end of the enclosure wall press, insert the hacksaw into the slot, then cut the material according to the mark;
- insert the other side of the workpiece into the slot;
- roughen the rough edges with fine sandpaper.
How to cut an arbitrary corner
Sometimes the walls are not connected to each other at right angles, then the sawing will need to be adjusted. This is done by two methods:
- Using heavy paper or a homemade cardboard template. If the baseboard is hollow on the inside, it is unlikely to hold vertically. In this case, you will need a homemade corner, in which the product is placed, as well as in the jigsaw. The corner is placed on the stencil prepared in advance, so that it corresponds to the template, then the product is cut according to the marks.
- Make marks on the material using a pencil. Cut two products at a 90-degree angle, then place them against the wall and mark the trimmer line for the abutment. Find the contact point of the skirting boards, then transfer the markings to the material, make the cut.
Sawing off the corners of the floor plinth (interior and exterior)
The rules of sawing off the inner corner of the floor plinth are as follows:
- the crossbow should be set on the table parallel to yourself;
- press the product to the opposite side from yourself;
- place the right baseboard on the right and the left baseboard on the left respectively, make the cut from the opposite side;
- Combine the two parts of the skirting board, the result will be the inside corner, the top of which is located away from yourself.
As for sawing off the outer corner, the following rules must be adhered to:
- On the table set the jig parallel to yourself, as in the previous case;
- Press down on your side of the skirting board;
- the right product set to the right, left. on the contrary, bring it to the diagonal line, sawing up from below;
- details connect, we have an outer corner with the apex towards yourself.
How to mount a chemical anchor? HILTI and other illustrative VIDEO!
To mount a metal structure building, you need to secure the columns to the anchoring group. In this case, consider installing chemical anchors. This is the most common and simplest option. We will look at it in more detail in the article. Whether it’s HILTII or any other anchor. They all have a similar composition. epoxy resins and two-component composition (resin hardener). When mixing the two components is fast hardening, which provides solidification for 180 minutes (in these 3 hours, the maximum strength of the composition).
Chemical anchor is:General term, so called steel studs, bolts and rods, which are attached to the base, with an adhesive system based on synthetic resin and a second component. hardener (for rapid curing).
The chemical anchor is very effective for heavy loads, as it forms a very strong bond between the metal element and the base material (usually concrete, brick, etc).).
The first thing to do is to make a marking at the installation sites of the anchoring group, for this you will need a metal ruler, with which you will need to mark the axes of the columns and the installation.
Marking the place for the holes of anchors, to fix the columns.To speed up the process, I made a template that is used to mark places for drilling and size of the columns base itself. Template cut out of plastic. It is cut out by a mill in accordance to the project dimensions on a scale of 1:1
We make a stencil of scale 1:1 (for the base)
Stencil. it is a convenient and fast way of marking, I practice it on all new objects,
A convenient and quick way to mark out the column bases and future holes
Holes drillingDrilling, in order to save money, we use a drill, not a core (the core is more expensive). Diameter is larger by 2-3 mm than the diameter of the stud itself. If we get to the armature, it is only then we use a diamond drill bit. You can call a crew that specializes in drilling with crowns, on average they charge from 300 to 750 for each hole.
The depth of installation and the thickness of the base can be considered from the test table from the company HILTI, all standards are based on STO 36554501-0482016.
How to cut a skirting board properly. Important details
Measurements needed to trim the skirting boards on the ceiling should be made in a special way. To determine and mark the inner corner, the length should be measured from the corner itself. To mark the outer corner, be sure to take into account that the plinth will protrude into the interior of the room at a distance equal to its width.
It is not desirable to affix the skirting boards before their exact positioning has been tested and the mating skirting boards have been cut. Only when the two mating strips match perfectly in the corner can you begin to mount and fasten them. If you work with polyurethane or wooden skirting boards, you can fix the defects and imperfections with a file or file. To adjust the foam plastic product, it is necessary to equip the skirting board with a sharp knife.
If even after finishing the plinths there remains even a small gap, do not rush to get upset. it is not difficult to patch it up with an ordinary putty. Trimming a ceiling moulding accurately and neatly is not that difficult. But to acquire at least a small skill, first try to practice on small blanks.
Block: 4/4 | Number of characters: 1115
How to cut a corner on a ceiling plinth
Most often in dwellings we have to deal with cutting at 45 degrees. Cut corners on the ceiling plinths can be several different methods.
How to make corners on a ceiling plinth using a wire cutter
This method is the easiest and most reliable. The mortise allows you to cut as precisely as possible.
Before you do the work, you should properly mark the element. This is done in two ways.
- Mark a corner of 90 or 45 degrees on the skirting board with a pencil. Then the product is placed in the jigsaw and cut along the marked line.
- Put the element in place and mark the outer edge. On the opposite side, too, set the fillet and also mark the edge. The place where the marks intersect is the outer edge, and the end of the wall is the inner. On the product mark the outer and inner edge, and then cut the baguette.
Important! The harder the material, the sharper and more reliable the cutting tool should be used. A normal knife is also good for foam products. To cut a wooden ceiling plinth in the corners, an electric saw or an electric jigsaw is needed.
How to make the inside corner of the ceiling plinth
Most often in a dwelling we deal with internal corners. Carry out the cutting is quite easy.
- First, the material is placed at the joint between the wall and the ceiling, in the position where it is going to be fastened later. Mark the desired length on the product.
- Ceiling plinth is placed in the chair in the same position, that is, the part of the plinth, which is mounted to the ceiling, should be facing upward, and facing the wall of the device. The edges of the products are aligned with the extreme marking of a corner of 45 degrees.
- The blade unrolls at a 45 degree angle and removes the excess fragment. The knife should be sharp, and ideally the cut should be a single movement. The second piece is made in the same way, but from the other side.
Important! The plastic should be cut from the front side to obtain an even, beautiful cut.
How to make an outside corner on a ceiling plinth
With external angles have to deal if the room is in niches, bay windows, protruding boxes or columns. Here, too, the ceiling plinth must be cut at 45 degrees.
- In fact, the difference between the two cases is only in the correct measurement. The skirting board is placed along the joint, and the mark is made on the inside.
- The product is inserted into the mortise in the same way as tried on, that is with the ceiling part upwards. The edge of the skirting board is placed so that exactly the mark on the inside coincided with the slit, but the outer part of the skirting board somewhat protruded over the edge.
- A hacksaw is inserted into the slot and cut. The second fragment is prepared in the same way, but in a mirror reflection.
To cut a solid baguette, such as a wooden one, it is better to use a jigsaw.
How to do the corner of the ceiling plinth without a jigsaw
When trimming, you can sometimes do without the joiner. In some cases, this method is even more effective, since the jigsaw is designed for high evenness of the walls and ceiling. In fact, this does not always correspond to the truth.
- Element is placed so that its edge rests against the joint between the two walls. Mark the position with a pencil. Do the same with the skirting board on the opposite side.
- At the junction of the wall and the ceiling connect the points of intersection and lay a diagonal. Then it is marked on the product itself. This is the mark for the cut.
- Use the blade to cut along the marked line. When joining, it is perfectly aligned. Using the same technique, the material can also be cut for the outer corners.
Decorative corners for a ceiling plinth
Cutting wide options is much more inconvenient. The product is difficult to fit into such a compact tool as a jigsaw, and complex topography can be ruined.
For such models, special corners are produced. You can only find this option for products made of PVC, foam or polyurethane. Elements have the same design, their size can be easily adjusted, because such a lightweight material as foam is easy to cut.
The technology is very simple: the corner is fixed at the joint, and the ceiling plinth pieces are attached to it.
Block: 5/7 | Number of characters: 3918
Sometimes irregularities in the walls or ceiling prevent you from fitting the entire length of the skirting board firmly to the wall or ceiling, or you might make a mistake when cutting the inner corner, and then you have a gap. For the elimination of these defects perfectly suited finish acrylic putty white. It is well painted after drying, and with it you can accurately putty the joints. This putty is sold in a ready-made form, you will not need to stir it with water yourself and worry about non-compliance with the proportions, depending on the manufacturer. If you want to do everything aesthetically, then do not spare the money, and buy a small can. According to personal observations, cans of ready-to-use putty of 0.5 kg will be enough for you and for all the imperfections of the ceiling plinth connections, and for the elimination of other small errors during repairs.
And also for easier trimming corners you can use a clerical triangle, it will allow you to cut a 45-degree angle without fail.
One important factor to consider is the material from which the ceiling plinth is made. Now they are made of PVC. polyvinyl chloride, polystyrene foam (foam plastic), wood and polyurethane. Depending on the material, you should choose a glue and trimmer for the baguettes.
On how to make a corner trim in the ceiling plinth without a joiner, see the following video.
Block: 5/5 | Number of characters: 1693
Irregular angles, the causes of their occurrence
In an ideal situation, the corners of the room should be straight, but this is not always the case. Most often it is the fault of the builders, who did not build the house in good faith. Another reason could be that the house was built on land that is subject to subsidence.
Most often, improper corners can be found in country houses and villages. After all, many homes are built on individual projects, and not all proportions are made professionally.
Another option, and perhaps the most unpleasant, is that the house may begin to crooked. Be sure to check this aspect, as it is dangerous to live in such a room. If such a problem appears, do not despair, the angle can be made by one of the methods of marking on the spot, as described above.
To summarize, it is safe to say that it is not a problem to make beautiful corners in the room. There are several ways. The procedure itself does not require a large number of tools or special skills, the main thing is to follow the instructions clearly.
On how to properly cut ceiling plinth in the corners, see the following video.
Block: 10/10 | Number of characters: 1492
Qty blocks: 22 | Total Qty characters: 26330Number of used donors: 8Information on each donor: