How to descale a Bosch steam generator
How to descale your clothes steamer yourself
There are several ways to clean your steamer from limescale at home. To achieve the desired effect, the procedure should be carried out regularly, at the first appearance of lime scale inside the device. This will help prevent fouling the appliance and prolong its lifespan.
Limescale can form not only in the tank of the steamer, but also around the heating element
Lime scale is a mineral deposit based on calcium carbonate contained in water. When boiling, the liquid evaporates, and heavy particles settle on the walls of the container. Old limescale is very difficult to remove, so it is better to remove it before it hardens. Acid-containing substances will help, namely citric acid.
The method is simple and harmless to the device. You will need:
Perform a few simple manipulations:
- Prepare a solution of citric acid at a ratio of 1 h. л. per 250 ml of water;
- unplug the device and pour the prepared liquid into the reservoir of the steamer;
- Turn on the device to maximum warm-up mode;
- Shake it gently and press the steam button;
- hold the appliance over a basin or bowl so that the impurities come out with the condensation;
- Continue the procedure until the water has completely evaporated from the tank;
- If there is liquid left inside the container, pour it into a bowl;
- Rinse the reservoir thoroughly under running water.
If after the procedure some amount of limescale remains inside the device, repeat all manipulations once again. Clean the steamer with citric acid once or twice a month. Also use this method for preventing plaque buildup.
Common food-grade citric acid is good for removing limescale inside the steamer
Vinegar is excellent for removing limescale, as is citric acid. It contains high concentrations of acid, which destroys limescale, even stale limescale.
The vinegar cleaning procedure is simple and similar to the above method. You will need:
- Prepare a vinegar solution at a ratio of 50 ml of the product to 250 ml of water;
- Pour the liquid into the evaporator tank;
- Turn on the maximum heat setting;
- Gently shake the device and turn on the steam supply;
- Hold the appliance over a basin until all contaminants come out;
- Rinse the tank under running water after the procedure using scented liquid soap or shower gel;
- Repeat the procedure first with distilled water.
The disadvantage of this method is that the vinegar has a pungent smell, which may remain even after washing the container with scented means. It is best not to add more vinegar than the instructions state. We also recommend carrying out the procedure in a well-ventilated room, such as a balcony.
Vinegar can be used to remove limescale in steamers and other household appliances
Mineral water is not only beneficial to the body, but can also help in the home to clean the steamer from lime scale. For this purpose you can use an ordinary mineral water or table strong drinks “Borjomi”, “Narzan”, “Essentuki”, etc. д.
The procedure is safe and simple. Perform the following steps:
- Pour the mineral water into the reservoir of the steamer;
- turn on the device at maximum power;
- shake it up a little;
- press the steam button;
- Hold the device over the sink or bathtub until the liquid evaporates completely;
- Repeat the procedure again, but with distilled water.
Clean the appliance with mineral water to prevent limescale buildup 2-3 times a month. There are similar ways to remove limescale online using sugary drinks, such as Coca-Cola. It is better to choose mineral water, because after using baking soda, the dye may remain in the appliance, which will cause stains and sticky spots on your clothes.
How to clean a tefal steam generator? Steam cleaner limescale iron at home and steam cleaner
How to clean a tefal steam iron from limescale? Scale builds up inside the appliance due to the use of hard water and improper use of the appliance. For the iron to last as long as possible, and ironing was of high quality, follow the simple rules:
- Only use distilled water for steaming. It is completely free of all impurities, so it dramatically cuts down on limescale buildup. You can also use filtered or pre-boiled water.
- Always drain any residual water from the steamer after the ironing process.
- Find and follow the correct ironing and steam modes.
- Whenever possible, choose models with built-in water filters. Filters clean the water from impurities of hard salts and so prevent limescale.
- Only store and stand your iron in an upright position.
- Scale the iron or steam cleaner at least once or twice a month as a precaution. Use the self-cleaning function which all modern irons can provide.
What to do if you want to wash your Tefal iron or steam cleaner at home?? In this case, you can speed up the process, using folk remedies. The simplest solution is a citric acid solution.
- 25 g of citric acid and 1 liter of water are mixed until homogeneous (no visible crystalline grains).
- The mixture is poured into the reservoir of the iron or steam cleaner. The passive action time is 15 to 25 minutes.
- When the specified time has elapsed, the maximum temperature is selected on the steam appliance. The appliance should deflate the liquid by itself while steaming. To speed up the process, the unwanted cotton fabric is ironed at the same time.
- After cleaning is complete, the device is cooled down, clean water is poured into the reservoir, allowed to stand for 15 minutes and then drained. Repeat the procedure up to 3 times. to completely remove traces of citric acid from the system.
Vinegar cleaning is no less effective and allows additional removal of soot from the surface of the soleplate. In this case, the folk method involves the use of a remedy of natural origin. Vinegar (not essence) is diluted with water in equal proportions, then the mixture is poured into the reservoir of the steam station in an amount sufficient to cover 25% of its total displacement. After that, the device is kept off for 20 minutes, then set the steam generation mode to full power, heat the device and proceed to iron the unwanted piece of fabric.
After evaporation of all the liquid, the reservoir is thoroughly rinsed with clean water. It is enough to repeat this procedure 2-3 times.
In the process of using this method of cleaning, it is important to provide intensive ventilation of the room. Vinegar vapors have a not very pleasant odor.
Clean the iron or steam generator from limescale at home you can use folk remedies. Such compositions are available in any home and cope with the removal of lime scale no worse than chemicals.
To remove salt deposits from the walls of the tank use a solution made from 250 ml of hot water and 25 g of citric acid (1 tsp. л.). Pour the obtained solution into the reservoir and leave it for 25 minutes. Then turn on the steam mode and iron the cotton fabric until the tank is completely empty. Then clean water is poured into the appliance, kept for 15 minutes and drained into the sink.
If the holes of the steam generator are clogged with limescale, the problem can be solved with the help of 9% vinegar. For this purpose it is mixed with water in equal parts, then fill the reservoir by 1/4 of the total volume with the obtained solution. After 20 minutes, turn the appliance on to full power and steam iron the unwanted cloth. This method is effective not only for cleaning the reservoir, but also for cleaning the iron soleplate.
The only disadvantage of the vinegar treatment is the pungent smell that accompanies the steaming process. In addition, due to the negative effects of acid on the rubber and plastic elements of the steam generator, it is not recommended to use vinegar too often.
This is the safest way to steam the cloths and can be used regularly. Pour mineral water into the boiler, turn it on at full power and steam the fabric until the water in the tank evaporates. The procedure is repeated 2-3 times depending on the degree of contamination of the appliance, after which it is rinsed with clean water and wiped dry with a clean cloth.
This method is used to remove limescale from the holes in the iron’s platform. A deep tray and two 2 cm thick bars are used, which are placed at the bottom of the tray. Put the iron on top, sole side down, pour the cleaning liquid into the tray so that the sole of the appliance was in the water. Then put the tray on the fire, wait for the solution to boil, then boil for 5 minutes. The boiling solution cleans the holes in the iron soleplate and removes any rusty flakes. Then the sole plate is rinsed with warm water and wiped dry.
If a vinegar mixture is used as a cleaning solution, it is recommended to open the vent.
⭕ Bosch TDS6080 Serie | 6 ProHygienic Steam Generator Iron
Cleaning with citric acid or vinegar
Limescale is cleaned well by boiling a solution of water with vinegar or citric acid. Therefore, you can use these instructions:
- Prepare the solution: mix 25 g of citric acid in a glass of boiled water or make a vinegar solution by mixing vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio. Two glasses of liquid are sufficient.
- Pour the cleaning solution into the appliance instead of the usual water.
- Allow the steamer to work. The instructions indicate how long the appliance can be operated without damaging its components.
- At the end of the procedure, pour the cleaning solution into the sink and thoroughly rinse the container until the aroma of citric acid or bite is gone.
Vinegar and citric acid for cleaning the steam generator
Models without this feature can be cleaned by yourself. For example, citric acid is a common remedy that is used in the fight against limescale.
In this case, clean the steam generator in stages:
- Dissolve 1 tbsp. л. Spoon a tablespoon of citric acid in 1 liter of water;
- Pour the solution into the iron tank and leave it for 20 minutes;
- Turn on the maximum steam output and keep it on until the liquid has evaporated completely;
- rinse the reservoir well and fill it with clean water;
- Resume maximum steam output until the liquid has evaporated completely, removing any remaining impurities.
During cleaning, turn on the maximum steam output and wait until the liquid has completely evaporated from the reservoir
After all these steps, test the device by steaming a small piece of cloth. Clean steam without any foreign particles should come out of the appliance freely.
Another effective and inexpensive steam cleaner is table vinegar. With the help of this agent you can achieve a double effect: clean the reservoir and remove the soot from the sole of the iron. Clean the reservoir in the same way as with citric acid.
Remove the soot in the following sequence:
- Take a high-sided frying pan and place two small pieces of wood in the bottom of the pan;
- place the iron, switched off, on the bars so that its sole plate does not touch the bottom of the pan;
- Dilute 200 ml of vinegar in 1 liter of water and pour into the pan such an amount of the resulting mixture that the bottom of the device “sunk” by 1.5 cm;
- on the appliance, set the steam level regulator to maximum;
- Bring the liquid to a boil;
- after 1.5 to 2 minutes, remove the pan from the fire;
- Wash the soleplate of the iron thoroughly with clean water and allow the device to dry for a day.
Vapors from liquids containing citric acid and vinegar have a rather pungent odor. Therefore, before the procedure of cleaning the steam generator, it is recommended to set the window to the airing mode.
The more carefully you take care of your appliances, the longer they will last. Therefore, preventive action is very important. Whenever possible, fill the steam generator only with clear water. Empty the tank of liquids after using the appliance. Do not wait until a critical amount of limescale and scale has formed, conduct an intermediate cleaning.
How to descale steam generators at home? You just need to use one of the quite accessible means, among which particularly effective are the following:
- Means that prevent the emergence of limescale can be found on the shelves of stores, they are quite easy to use, they need to be poured into the liquid tank, and then use the unit for its intended purpose.
- Citric acid or vinegar can help prevent or remove limescale. They should be used as follows: pour one of these substances by one third of the volume into the tank, steam any cloth, be sure to open the window for airing, since vinegar when heated will emit a strong smell, repeat such a procedure as necessary.
- The steam generator is perfectly cleaned with liquid soap, which should be used as follows: first, mix water and liquid soap, taking three parts of water and one part of soap, the resulting mixture should be wiped with the sole of the machine, if it did not help to deal with traces of burnt fabric, you can try to scrape them with a toothpick. It is worth noting that this method is not suitable for Teflon surfaces.
- If a limescale or rust deposits appeared on the surface of appliances, you can use baking soda to remove them: mix 2 teaspoons of soda and 100 ml of water or vinegar, wipe the heated surface of the iron with this mixture, clean the surface with a cloth.
- In case the steam generator has a Teflon coating, it can be cleaned by heating to a minimum and wiping with laundry soap. The latter will melt and make the soot softer, after which it can easily be scraped off with improvised means.
- White toothpaste is able to act as a “scrub” that will clean the surface of the iron, after which you need to apply steam to clean the holes of the soleplate.
- A ceramic iron can be cleaned with a cotton pad soaked in hydrogen peroxide, and a cotton swab can be used to carefully clean all the holes.
If the steam iron’s surface is made of stainless steel, you can clean it with paraffin and salt:
- First, grind a small white candle;
- then mix it with the finely ground salt;
- carefully mix both ingredients and pour the resulting mixture onto a sheet of paper;
- heat the iron and iron the sheet with it;
- the paste that will result from the melting of this substance will cover the sole of the unit;
- when the iron has cooled down, it should be wiped down with a dry cloth;
- Steam the garment until the reservoir is empty.