How to fasten the ceiling ledge to the drywall
The choice of materials and tools depends on the method of installation. If you plan to fasten the ledge with dowels “butterfly”, you should buy these parts. They should be as many as the number of holes for fasteners. Another 1 pc. It is advisable to buy some extra tools. Some butterfly dowels do not have screws in the kit, then purchase small hardware, their thickness in the range of 4 mm, and length. 5.5 cm. Details allow you to hang the ledge on the plasterboard, fixing it securely. Necessary tools:
- Drill. Allow you to make holes for the fasteners. In the process of work, it is recommended to use a drill with a diameter not exceeding 1 cm. Specialists also advise using tools for metal.
- Screwdriver or electric screwdriver with a nozzle. Tools will be used to fix the elements, which are screwed to the stop. You should choose the nozzle, taking into account the type of screws used.
Fastening with glue
This method can be used if it is necessary to fix the decorative cornices. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Trimming the crossbar to the size of the room. To make an accurate trim, it is better to use a plane or a prepared template made of cardboard.
- The treatment of the gypsum board with a primer for the ceiling. It will contribute to a better adhesion to the adhesive.
- Applying adhesive to the product and fixing it to the ceiling or wall.
After the glue dries, the process is over, and you can be sure that the construction is held securely.
How to install the ledge
Most often, assuming the future fixation of decorative elements on the plasterboard surface, even at the stage of arrangement of the frame for it in the right places make the so-called tabs.
Advice. This is a bar or laths of suitable cross-section, from dried according to the correct technology, treated with flame retardants and antiseptics wood.
Follow the basic rules. They are installed in the metal crate so that the fasteners reach well, and fastened to the main surfaces with the same dowels or anchors.
Fastening can be ceiling and wall.
Encircling the framework with sheets of plasterboard, on the outer side of the framework is applied to the location of embedded. When installing the ledge this scheme will help them to find, mark the correct place, fix the brackets with screws and dowels, using an electric screwdriver or a regular screwdriver.
Fixing the eaves on the supporting walls
This option is useful if the drywall directly to the surface glued with adhesive, that is, the framework is not used. In this case, the drywall is in direct “neighborhood” with the load-bearing wall, as if relying on it.
The curtain track made of drywall is very simple, but you get a very unusual end result.
Therefore, the installation of the eaves is carried out according to the classic scheme:
- On the walls a marking is made.
- In the right places make holes with a drill.
- Dowels are hammered in to hang the eaves brackets. Fasten them with self-tapping screws, taking care not to damage the drywall.
Mounting the ledge must be carried out accurately.
Fastening of the cornice directly on the drywall
The third method is used if the tabs are not provided, but the plasterboard surface is not adjacent to the supporting structures.
Advice. In this case, you must act irregularly, so that the fastener does not squeeze the sheet.
The main working element is a special dowel-butterfly. For this purpose the above dowels “butterfly”, “molly” are used. After embedding into gypsum plasterboard, the brackets are attached to them, and they are fastened with screws.
A butterfly dowel is inserted into the recess through the profile.
First of all, as usual, make a marking. For the “butterfly” carefully drilled holes of the correct diameter, no more. it is important. Then plastic dowels are inserted into them.
Drill holes are screwed into the drywall using an electric screwdriver with a Phillips-head.
How to Hang Drywall on a Ceiling. Clever Tip to Make the Job Easier
A screwdriver can be used instead of an electric screwdriver.
The installation of “molly” also involves pre-drilling holes. Before installation, the walls of the dowel are bent with a knife and the existing screw is unscrewed. It is screwed back to the stop, when the “molly” is inserted into the plasterboard when fixing the brackets.
The choice of fasteners depends on the weight of the construction with window drapery, the gap between the wall and the drywall.
How to hang the ledge, step by step instructions
Fastening the cornice to the drywall ceiling involves the use of brackets and special elements for fixing. The latter are placed on the edges. If the length of the construction is more than 2 m, the fastening elements are installed in the central part of the product. For backup, place 7 of these parts. Draw a marking for the bracket, in the process of creating it take into account the indentation from the wall, on average it is 7 cm. Drill holes with the pen, and dowels are inserted into them.
Then you screw the brackets to the wall and fix them at a distance of 15 cm from the top of the window. Make a marking, drill holes, and install dowels (for fixation use self-tapping screws). If you plan to install a large curtain rod, it is better to use brackets.
After these procedures perform fixation guide rod, it must get into the holder. Then put the tips and mount mounts for curtains. Rings are supplied in the kit. As an alternative, you can use eyelets (plastic or metal parts that are installed in the cloth). Place the tulle and organza on special clips.
Fastening with glue
This variant is used, when it is necessary to hang a polyurethane or PVC ledge, which has a decorative purpose, on the drywall. In this case, the technology will consist of the following steps:
- Selection of glue. For fastening the plastic ceiling curtain track to the drywall, it is necessary to use liquid nail adhesive or acrylic-based glue;
- Then it is necessary to well clean and primed the surface of the plasterboard in the place of the intended attachment of the ledge;
- The glue is applied to the ledge, after which it is pressed to the wall or ceiling. When the glue dries, the curtain rod will hold quite securely.
It is worth noting that this method is not suitable to hang heavy curtains, so find out how to attach the cornice to the ceiling of drywall, if it will have not only a decorative value.
Mounting curtain rails
To install the ledge, you will need a certain set of tools. In addition to the fasteners included with the product, you will need:
Before assembling the ledge of the rod type, you must first determine its length and, if necessary, trim it. Then put on the rod mounts for curtains.
Place the fasteners on the ledge.
Important! One of the fasteners should be placed between the bracket and the decorative plug, so that the curtain does not move to the center of the rod.
Pay attention to the height, at which the curtain rod will be installed. The higher the curtain starts, the more spacious the room seems.
between curtain rod and window level must be not less than 5 cm. If the curtain or curtain rod will be fixed by means of eyelets, don’t forget to take into account the distance between the curtain rod and the ceiling: the fabric with rings must move freely in this space.
Mounting wall-mounted products using the string type as an example:
- Mark the place of attachment to the wall, fix the bracket holders.
- Pass the string through the hole located in the mount, fix it with screws.
- Screw the bracket to its base, fixed in the wall.
- Repeat the action on the second side.
Drill holes to attach the bracket. If the string curtain rod is made according to old examples, you’ll need to open the box and tighten the special washer on the bolt on both sides.
- Drill holes in the profile at intervals of about 50 cm.
- Attach the product to the ceiling, stepping back 10-15 cm, outline the location.
- Use a small drill to make a hole in the center.
- Insert the dowel.
- Attach the profile with the central self-tapping screw.
- Level the ledge, give it the necessary position.
- Make other holes and hammer plugs.
Installation of the ceiling ledge passes in several stages. Now mount the finished structure, to which the plugs are already installed.
Mounting drywall for the ledge
After you have finished your work you can begin to mount the eaves. It is carried out as follows:
- Treat the niche inside with primer and give it time to dry.
- According to the planned line on the ceiling, fix the ceiling profile with dowels. The distance between the fasteners should be 50 cm.
The design of the plasterboard ledge frame
Fastening the eaves frame to the wall
Types of fastening cornices. the most popular
The easiest option, not burdening the base. the ceiling cornice of the decorative type of lightweight PVC or polyurethane. The main advantage of the construction. low weight, ease of attachment. To install it, it is sufficient to use adhesive mixes without additional fasteners, paying special attention to the junction of the corners.
As an option, the ceiling cornice made of gypsum plasterboard can be installed with a crib. To do this, determine the area of installation, preparing a wooden bar with a thickness of 30 mm, pre-treated with protective agents. Bar fixed to the surface of the main wall or directly on the ceiling with anchors. It is important to choose a bar with such a thickness that the gap between the sheet of plasterboard and its edge was minimal. This is the only way to prevent the sagging of the finish in the future.
After erection of a beam the surface of the frame is lined, marking the location of the embedded part. Once the finish is finished, the eaves are attached to it with self-tapping screws.
As an option, you can also fasten the curtain track using special hardware. This solution is advantageous only if you need to install it after finishing. The high price of the elements is fully justified, because with their help it is possible to securely fasten even large cornices on sheets of drywall.
A convenient way to mount a light curtain track for weightless curtains is the umbrella fastening directly on the drywall finish.