How to insert a blade into a hand jigsaw
Saw blade clamp repair
Unfortunately many producers of power tools, often economize on materials, which reduces the service life of the produced devices. The jigsaw blade clamp is also subject to occasional breakage, which is subject to serious pressure during operation. Below we will tell you what can happen to the sawblade clamp and how to repair it.
During long-term use of the jigsaw, due to the stresses on the blade mounting, the jigsaw clamp can become seriously deformed. Damage can be minor, expressed by a slight deformation of the shoe, and very serious, turning the part into a useless piece of metal.
The easiest option to restore the functionality of your jigsaw, would be to buy and install a new, identical block. Such an element can be found at construction markets, in tool stores. Blago, there are such parts, quite often. In this case, not the fact that the quality of the new mount, will be better or at least not worse than the old. The main thing is that the tool will be able to work. See below for a video on how to install a new jigsaw block.
Longer and more reliable option is suitable for advanced craftsmen with experience and a set of necessary equipment. The next way is to make a jigsaw holder for jigsaws with their own hands. To make your own pads, you will need:
- Piece of steel: 18x15x15 (length, width, height)
- Metal hacksaw
- An angle grinder with a metal disc (preferably diamond)
- Drill with a 4 mm metal drill bit
- A ruler or caliper
The manufacturing process is very clear to the experienced tinsmith, but is illustrated in the following photos for clarity.
If you do not have enough skills in working with metal, we recommend giving the following drawing to the nearest lathe workshop, where the part will be made to order.
In order for the electric jigsaw to work flawlessly for as long as possible, you should follow simple rules of operation. Namely:
- Do not overtighten the blade retainers. This can lead to thread stripping and premature failure of the threads;
- the condition of the saw blade must be taken into account. Its blunting can lead not only to loss of sawing quality, charring of the ends of the workpiece, but also to overheating and failure of the electric motor;
- Lubricate the jigsaw roller according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Otherwise, it is welcomed to overheating and jamming of the motor;
- do not apply too much pressure on the tool. In this case, it is possible to damage the clamp of the saw;
- do not overheat the tool. Since the electric motor is air-cooled, the interval of its continuous operation is 20-30 minutes, depending on the capacity and model.
How to insert the saw into the jigsaw and choose the right blade
A jigsaw blade is an expendable material that cannot be sharpened, so it must often be replaced with a new one. it is also necessary to change the blade when working with different materials, because a special blade with a specific shape and size of teeth is used for each. For the first time picking up such a tool, many have difficulties with how to insert a jigsaw into an electric jigsaw and whether it is suitable for this model.
How to choose a hand jigsaw for wood: expert advice, best manufacturers
Today, hand jigsaws for working on wood are often used at home, in schools at labor lessons and in manufacturing companies.It has several advantages over a hacksaw:
- the surface is smoother when cutting, which is crucial in some cases.
- it is possible to change the blade quickly if necessary.
- The teeth are small, so it is much safer to use this tool.
Externally, the tool is a handle of wood or other material, a metal frame that holds the blade, and the cutting blade itself. One should pay attention to the size of the frame when choosing a tool. It can be rectangular or pointed. It is required to understand how the tool will be used, so as to choose the right one.
Thus, the only difference between hand jigsaws is the size of the frame. Do not buy cheap Chinese models. They have a small margin of safety, so there is a great risk of damaging the frame during use. It is better to buy proven brands like Stayer Master, Fit and so on.
Saw replacement instructions
How to change the jigsaw blade in your jigsaw? There is no universal method. the instruction will vary depending on the type of attachment. Consider the instructions for each type.
Jigsaws with a quick-clamping system:
- Such tool is equipped with a special lever that releases the saw blade, so it is not necessary to remove the guard.
- Pull the lever, this opens the lock by pushing the stem forward.
- Insert the blade shank into the jigsaw and release the lever.
- Use the adjusting screw to fix it in the right position.
- Remove guard.
- Use the special Allen wrench to loosen the screw.
- Insert the blade into the hole with the teeth facing forwards.
- Tighten the fixture.
- Install the guard.
Detail how to install the saw correctly. Do not clamp it too tightly, otherwise the cut will be uneven.
Different types of jigsaws
Before we get to the immediate specifics describing the sawing process, it’s worth specifying the types of tools involved. Since the device “jigsaw” has quite a few incarnations, we inform you in advance that in this guide we will touch on 3 of its varieties: manual, electric and stationary. Band saw, also sometimes called jigsaw, will not figure in this article. Now a few words about each type of device under consideration.Manual jigsawThe cheapest version of the tool for making a figured sawing of wood and its derivatives. With special blades, can be used for cutting metal of small thicknesses. Speed and quality of cutting depends entirely on the experience and physical characteristics of the worker. Easy enough to use and does not require hours of study.Electric jigsawThe more advanced and expensive type of tool for making straight, cross, bevel and shape cuts. Depending on the set saw blades can work with wood, plastic, metal and even ceramics. Has a high frequency of the saw’s stroke, which usually reduces the quality and accuracy of the cut. The electric jigsaw is sometimes rightly called a hand jigsaw because it is necessary to hold the jigsaw during use. This tool is one of the most popular at home, second in popularity only to a screwdriver and a drill.Stationary jigsawA very handy and functional machine for amateur and professional work. Widely used in industry and at home. Works with thin saws like a hand jigsaw, but is as fast as an electric jigsaw. The main advantage of using a bench-mounted jigsaw is the total freedom of both hands, which allows more precise control over the position of the workpiece during processing. The device copes well with a straight cut, but it is primarily designed for shaped.Having finished with a brief description of the devices, you can move on to the main question of the article. Let’s take a look at how to insert the blade into the jigsaw and what nuances should be considered in this. Let’s start with the electric models.
How to Insert a Jigsaw into a Hand Jigsaw
As a rule, there are far fewer problems associated with the use of an ordinary hand jigsaw, than with its more advanced, electric counterparts. Be that as it may, there are several useful recommendations for this tool, some of which concern the installation of the saw blade. Let’s clarify how to insert the saw blade into the hand jigsaw correctly, without complicating the further sawing process.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the very location of the saw in the attachment points. For the best grip, the tails of the saw blade should not be clamped at the edge or behind the screw, but 1-2 mm in front of it, as indicated in the image above. Before setting, remember that the teeth of the blade are always pointing toward the handle, since sawing takes place as the tool moves downward.
Tool Tip Basics: Jigsaw : Tool Tip Basics
First, the edge of the jigsaw must be fixed to the handle. Then you need to gently squeeze the edges of the arc and tighten the other end of the blade in the opposite mount. To do this, you can put the tool against the edge of the workbench and press it with your chest. Insert the saw into the slots with one hand and tighten the wing nut with the other. If the size of the fasteners does not allow them to be securely fixed by hand, they can be tightened slightly with a pair of pliers. The main thing is not to overdo it, so as not to break the thread.
For jigsaws with a tubular arc, there is a special attachment that, in most cases, is part of the sawing table. This product is 2 round slots located on the edge of the board. The tool is inserted into the recesses, and then the saw is safely tightened in the clamps. To learn how to insert the saw into the hand jigsaw in more detail, see the video below.
Setting up the jigsaw for work
Setting up the jigsaw for work
For the jeweler, as for many other craftsmen, the jigsaw is an important tool. When I have just begun to learn, one of the difficult questions was with what force should the saw blade be stretched, so that on the one hand it would saw well, and on the other hand, it would not tear during a careless movement. And asking that question I got advice: “It comes with experience”, “You have to try the tension of the saw with your fingers”, etc.д. However, my jewelry fencing teacher has helped to resolve these issues once and for all hopefully his advice (combined with my research in this area) will help you too.
The first thing to do is to mercilessly spoil the jigsaw. A jeweler’s jigsaw looks something like this when you buy it:
The red line indicates the part designated for amputation.
Why? Proper jigsaw work assumes that it must be held precisely along the axis of the hand and as close as possible to the crossbar. (My teacher is still changing the handle of the jigsaw on a piece of the handle of a mop, saying that it is easier to hold the tool in your hand I do not know, I do not know I have not yet reached such perfection.) So we saw off a part of the frame so that when you clamp the saw it projects about half a centimeter beyond the clamping screw.
Finishing of the tensioning screw. Very simple. make a mark on one of its blades. or, like me, remove some of the metal. It is necessary to count the number of turns, on which we pull the saw.
So you have to saw the pattern. You choose the saw you want and (Just in case: saws come in different thicknesses and therefore widths. Below is a table from the Sapphire jewelry store, where you can see how the naming system (saw numbers), for example /0 is the thinnest saw, its thickness is only 0.16 mm., to. a half-millimeter thick saw. Choose the saw on the basis of material thickness: the thinner the material, and your artistic goals.)
The desired tension of the saw blade depends on its thickness. I do the following:
- Unscrewing the top tensioning screw of the jigsaw by the required number of revolutions. For example for a thin saw /0 it would be 2,5 turns of screw. This is where the risk on the propeller blade will help you. you can clearly see how many times you have turned your propeller arms. (For thicker saws. the tension should be more, accordingly I unscrew the screw on more number of turns, for example. for the thickest saw (as on the photo). on 3,5 turns. (The figures above are not the only possible. The thing is, depending on the stiffness of your jigsaw and the length of the saw, the tension should be more or less. I recommend doing a few trials and figuring out what tension is comfortable to work at. The main thing that the RPM count gives you is that you know exactly how much tension you’ve put on the jigsaw. And if it tears too easily, you can try loosening it by half a turnor tighten it if it doesn’t cut well. Another advantage is that you can use fragments of saws by loosening the tension accordingly. For example for saws /0, if they are 2/3 of their original length, I set the tension to 1.5 turns of the screw. That is enough.)
- I clamp the saw with the top clamp. This is handy if you need to guide the saw through the hole in the workpiece.
- Clamping the saw with the lower clamping screw. While doing so I try to keep the saw straight (when the piece is on it).
- Tighten the upper clamping screw all the way. This is important! You should always do it this way because then the saw doesn’t wiggle from side to side and you have full control.
- Done. You can saw! For example to make a decoration like this:
Master classes on preparing the base for sawing (finagel) and on jigsaw techniques will be separate.