How to install a nozzle on the trimmer for grass. How to use
Attachments on brushcutter (grass trimmer)
Modern grass trimmers have long been used far beyond the garden or flower bed. Today brushcutters can be successfully used for plowing the vegetable garden or weeding the garden bed. The main reason for this is a wide variety of attachments that can be installed on the grass trimmer instead of its main working element. a mowing line or a knife. Important advantages of these attachments are the ease of their installation and removal, which makes it possible for any owner of a grass trimmer to start using them.
A rotary cutter, or rotary cultivator for brushcuts. a device designed for loosening soil before planting crops. It differs from an ordinary trimmer by an order of magnitude less size and weight, as well as a much lower price.
There are two types of tillers on the market:
- toothed. this type of attachment consists of several sharpened knives arranged in one straight row. During operation, the toothed cultivator on the grass trimmer turns out the top layer of soil, thus opening up and enriching it with oxygen and useful substances. In most cases, devices of this type have a low weight, but some models can reach a weight of 5 kg;
- Disc-type attachments have several discs to which the blades are attached. The ends of each blade are curved in a certain direction to improve efficiency. Each brushcutter disc attachment for cultivation is equipped with a protective flap that prevents clumps of earth and stones from getting on the operator.
The tool bits for chain saws have one big disadvantage. The operator cannot press the blades firmly enough against the ground when working with them. This is because the brushcutter boom tends to spring back and too much pressure can cause the boom to bend or break. Because of this, many experienced farmers do not recommend using a cultivator to cultivate clay soil, as in this case its blades will only scratch the soil, not penetrating to the desired depth for plowing.
How the plastic line for the trimmer works?
In 1971, George Bollas, an American engineer living in Houston, invented a new type of mower. It was more mobile than the average mower of the time, and it cut the grass up to the trees without damaging their bark.
This peculiarity is the main name, because like a hair trimmer, the new lawnmower cuts only the bare necessities without damaging everything else.
Conventional lawnmowers cut the grass with a rapidly rotating blade, making operation without an enclosing body a serious threat to trees, as does a grass trimmer equipped with a knife or saw blade, so safe operation is only possible with a fishing line.
Due to its flexibility and low density, the trimmer line skirts the obstacle when it encounters it, so that neither wood nor a stone or other obstacle has the same effect on it as a knife or saw blade.
Grass does not have the same strength as a stone or a tree trunk, so the inertia of the unwound line is enough to cut its trunk and leaves, so the main condition for quality mowing is sufficient speed of the trimmer head, that is, the device holding the line for trimmer.
All this fully applies even to those types of cutting string that are called reinforced, that is, reinforced with various materials.
Even those lines, which have a steel rope inside, do not pose a threat to trees, because the stiffness of the rope is comparable to the same parameter of plastic, which means it does not chop but streamlines the bark of trees without harming them, and does not lose its sharpness when hitting a stone.
There is another aspect that fans of “eternal line” rarely think about. mowing grass in cluttered areas often leads to winding the cord on stones or pegs sticking out of the ground, including the remains of an old fence.
If this happens with a plastic line, it immediately tears and the grass trimmer does not get hit, but if a stronger string is wrapped around such an obstacle, the grass trimmer will pull toward the problem, which can cause damage to the gearbox or boom.
Necessary tools and materials for making
Making a cultivator from a grass trimmer with your own hands, the process is simple enough and does not take much time. However, before starting work, you should still prepare the necessary materials and tools.
To make a homemade device it is desirable according to the drawings, but those who have some experience with an angle grinder, a drill and a welding machine, without problems can do everything without the schemes and given dimensions.
How to remove the trimmer head?
The procedure for removing the trimmer head on units with an overhead motor is the same for any model. first fix the output shaft of the unit with any suitable tool, such as a regular hexagon, then unscrew the drum or fixation nut.
The drum can be unscrewed by hand, because its diameter is large enough to effectively wrap your palm around it, while the nut should be unscrewed with the standard wrench that comes with each power tool.
Here are detailed instructions that you can follow to remove most types of reels from a grass trimmer with a top-mounted motor:
- make sure that the apparatus is unplugged;
- clean any grass clippings from the space between the blade guard and the spool;
- Rotate the head so that the fixing holes align;
- insert a standard hexagonal wrench or any other suitable tool into the aligned holes;
- put your palm on the body or put the standard spanner around the nut and turn it clockwise on machines with a straight shaft and anti-clockwise on those with a curved shaft.
On some machines with a bent boom is no hole for fixing the shaft, instead, the base is fixed to the shaft with a bolt.
If you have exactly this type of electric mower, then proceed as follows:
- Make sure the machine is unplugged;
- squeeze the latches with your fingers;
- Carefully remove the cover;
- Remove the bobbin and other parts;
- Holding the base with your hand, unscrew the fixing bolt, turning it counterclockwise;
- Remove the base by rocking it slightly from side to side, if you can not remove it, turn it 45-90 degrees and rock it again, trying to remove it.
On machines with a lower motor, the principle of fixing the mowing head is different. it is pressed on the spline shaft with the heating of the latter or other ways of fixation, so we recommend to remove this part yourself only by those who are familiar with such works and have the appropriate tools.
On some models the shaft is equipped with a slot for fixation, but to get to it, you often have to saw through the removable spool.
Replacing the line with a disc or blade
When improving a garden plot, park areas and other places where you need to mow different kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the trimmer cutting tool. This is dictated by the fact that a standard cord installed in a mowing head can only cope with grass. But when a bush or young growth of trees appears on the path of the worker, the line for the trimmer can not cope with such a task, and it is required to change it for a more effective cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have provided for such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs similar to circular saws.
If you replace the line for the trimmer with a knife with several “petals”, then such a tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the trimmer line to a disc, the brushcutter user has the ability to cut down bushes or small trees.
How to Assemble the PXC 18V Grass Trimmer from PXCGTLMC-218E Kit
Blades and discs are installed according to the following algorithm.
- The first thing to do is to remove, locking the shaft, the mowing head (twist clockwise) or the nut and dust cap, if the machine has not yet been used.
- Fit the blade or the blade so that it fits on the small projection (bushing).
For a better understanding of the process of changing tools, you can watch this video.
Which blades for electric mowers and lawnmowers?
Before buying and installing a knife on a brushcutter, let’s find out what they are and when they are used. Today, manufacturers offer the consumer a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools designed for mowing the grass can be classified:
The main material for making trimmer blades can be plastic or metal. The use of such expendable elements largely depends on two parameters:
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend putting steel knives on electric grass trimmers. Virtually all electric and battery-powered brushcutters are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they may be of solid disc design, with several blades, or in the form of a special mowing head with removable plastic blades.
Straight shaft for gasoline grass trimmers and curved shaft for electric ones
To put a metal blade on the electric trimmer for grass does not allow its design features.
- the curved boom of the device reduces the distance between the working part of the device and the mower’s legs. If the blades collide with a rock or other hard object, the grass trimmer will kick back to its feet.
- The high torque mentioned above in case of a collision between a metal blade and a hard object transmits a high load to the flexible shaft of the grass trimmer and its motor. What causes their premature failure.
- The handle of an electric mower most often does not have a limiting strip that acts as a stop. That does not exclude foot injuries.
Exactly these features allow to use only plastic blades on trimmers with electric motors. blades colliding with obstacles destroy thereby protecting mower’s legs from possible injuries.
Plastic blades handle overgrown and dry grass well. Mow nettles and burdock stems with these handles.
How to Load Trimmer Line on to a Bosch Grass Trimmer
Use of metal blades in gasoline-powered trimmers is also conditioned by design features.
- Straight boom design provides more legroom for the mower.
- Comfortable U-shaped and J-shaped handles give a firm grip. The D-handles of the brushcutter are fitted with a stop that rests against the mower’s leg, which prevents the head from coming up against the legs when the cutting disc encounters a hard obstacle.
- The clutch of the gasoline engine allows you to smoothly gain speed to the optimum level. And when the blade hits a hard surface, it can absorb some of the impact.
So gasoline grass trimmers with a metal blade attachment are best used on larger areas. They can successfully cope not only with high rough grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also bushes and young trees.
The shape of the blades of the disc supplied to the grass trimmer does not affect the quality of work performed. And they don’t depend on speed, either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular shapes are all a marketing ploy by manufacturers.
If you plan to make hay, it is best to use a brushcutter with more blades. Pay attention to discs with eight teeth or discs with four large blades and four extra ones. Two and three-blade blades will shred grass severely.
Design and mounting options
Tiller head comes in two variants:
- Disk, the cutting elements of which are a pair of cutting discs;
- Toothed, which is a series of cutters arranged in series on a shaft.
The only basic difference is the design of the ripper unit. Disk nozzles. more rigid, and therefore suitable for processing heavier soils, while toothed nozzles have less own weight, but are designed for work on the lighter soil.
Torque transfer from the grass trimmer engine to the cultivator attachment is carried out by a special shaft, which is composed in a special bar (it must be purchased separately). This assembly is not interchangeable, and differs in the number of splines on the end part of the rod: they can be seven or nine. Therefore, when contemplating to buy the nozzle-cultivator, it is necessary to understand that the trimmer from Husqvarna will not fit Oleo-Mac nozzle, as well as vice versa.
Slotted type of connection of discs or cutters to the shaft allows the free movement of cutting parts which is ideal for cultivation because it allows to loosen the soil with wide enough grip (up to 200250 mm per pass) without demanding large amplitude of boom movements. The limitations on the density of beds on the plot are also eliminated. As the beds are lengthened, the convenience of working with the nozzle in question increases, because you have to make turns much less often.
Design and mounting options
Usually the cultivator attachment on the gasoline trimmer is equipped with two cutting parts, but there are variants with several pairs. Mounted at the bottom of the boom replacing the gearbox, sometimes can be attached to the lawnmower motor, depends on the design of the device. Also the construction is strengthened by the boom to increase strength and reliability. Its minimum diameter is 25 millimeters.
In some devices it is possible to adjust the width of the cutting parts. It usually ranges from 15 to 30 centimeters. Disc nozzles for the cultivator can be equipped with additional discs at a certain angle. Their design includes a guard that prevents the ground from entering when the device is subjected to active use
The trimmer cord is the most efficient and versatile cutting tool, providing fast and accurate grass cutting.
If you have an urgent need to mow an area and cannot buy a line in the store, various substitutes are available, from a common electric wire to a string cutter from a hacksaw.
However, each substitute has a number of disadvantages, so their use is justified only in extreme conditions.