How to make a bike with a chainsaw engine
How to make a homemade scooter with a chainsaw engine
Motorcycle from a chainsaw with their own hands. an outlet for those men who do not want to spend money on a car and its subsequent maintenance and who do not like to twist the pedals of a bicycle. In such a case, an excellent way out will be a moped from a chainsaw and bicycle, which you can assemble with your own hands in the garage, having bought some necessary, missing parts and spare parts. The process of alteration itself is not particularly difficult.
Before starting the assembly or if you have any questions, you can always refer to the drawings and numerous video reviews available on the Internet.
Bicycle with an engine from a chainsaw with his hands
If you want to equip an ordinary bicycle with a motor, you can use a chainsaw.
When fixing independently, you need to adhere to the following rules:
- The gasoline tank should not have cracks in order to avoid fuel leakage;
- The optimum load ratings must be observed;
- All ropes, chains and pulleys must be installed firmly and securely to prevent them from slipping or breaking off;
- The motor should be attached exclusively to certain areas (frame or engine directly);
- When selecting a gas tank there are the maximum allowable values: weight up to 6 kilograms; volume up to 50 cubic centimeters.
Optimum power of the motor
The average motor power of about 1.5 horsepower. With weak power, the engine will not be able to move the bicycle with a passenger. Since the maximum weight takes into account the weight of the person and the vehicle.
The average figure is 100 kilograms. Such an indicator must be taken into account, especially if you want to mount a luggage compartment or additional cargo. The optimum speed is 30-40 kilometers per hour.
Acceleration and noise
With a homemade attachment of the engine from a chainsaw to a bicycle it is possible to get a speed of up to 50-60 kilometers per hour. Acceleration is simple and easy, and in the process of riding there will not be the characteristic smell of gasoline.
The speed will directly depend on the performance of the motor. Its activation can be accompanied by strong and unpleasant sounds.
Here there are 2 options to solve the problem:
- Carry out the stroke with loud noises (humming, creaking);
- Install a special muffler, with which the engine will become almost silent.
Materials and tools needed
Basic materials and tools for work:
- Metal objects (chains, nuts, bolts, washers);
- Handy tools for installing the bracket;
- Bicycle rope;
- Container for gasoline tank equipment.
Step by step instructions
- Linkage must be made between the wheel and the motor. For this purpose, additional parts (pulleys) are installed on the wheel and connected directly to the chainsaw. Use a belt or chains to transmit the power (need to be adapted to the situation). The main rule here is to make sure that such a design does not fly off;
- At this stage it is necessary to take care of the centrifugal force. A chainsaw or a bicycle ratchet can be used for this purpose. Thanks to the second option will be possible not to press much on the pedals, but at the same time to keep the speed of movement for a certain period of time;
- With the help of a hose, it is necessary to create a connection with the gas tank, as well as tightly fasten it near the engine or the frame;
- To install the ignition, you will need a wire and a special switch. If it is properly positioned, it will be possible to turn off the engine at any time;
- You will also need a throttle grip to shift the engine. A bicycle cable can also be attached to a special carburetor choke.
Bicycle with a motor from a chainsaw with his hands
Motorized bicycles with chainsaw motor are identical to ordinary bicycles, with the small detail that they have the motor over the chain or on the rear brake. These chainsaw engines give the bicycle the ability to accelerate more than a conventional bicycle will ever be able to do. What’s more, no pedals are used anymore because it is the engine that controls the movement of the bicycle.
Installing a chainsaw engine can cause serious engine damage if not done properly. The easiest way to mount the engine is to get another rear wheel and extend the front forks a little so they fit in the front. Once you do this, you mount the motor on the front forks, creating a front-wheel drive.
Motorized bicycles with a chainsaw motor work almost as well as motorcycles. They differ only in mechanism. To turn it on, you pull the chain and the motor starts.
However, because motorized bicycles can reach higher speeds than conventional bicycles, people are at likely risk or serious injury.
A bicycle with a motor: we connect the engine from a chainsaw with our own hands
If you feel an urge to experiment and won’t turn down the opportunity to turn your bike into a homemade moped that can reach speeds of 50 km per hour or more, these instructions are for you.
Using simple spare parts, you can construct a bicycle with a motor from a chainsaw with your own hands. Let’s get to !
- Thoroughly inspect and test your bike. The intended retrofit will significantly increase the load on all of its parts. That’s why every part should be inspected and well lubricated. Also check all fasteners and tighten the bolts. Besides being necessary for construction, this is also a safety precaution.
- You can make a bike with a motor from a chainsaw or from a grass trimmer (also called a gasoline mower). If you’re wondering how to adapt a lawn mower motor to a bicycle, there’s nothing complicated about it. A lawn mower is just as suitable for this design as a chainsaw. If you choose a chainsaw, make sure it has at least 2 kW. And if you have a grass trimmer, it will be enough power of 1 kW, because the lawnmower engine has lower revolutions. The point is that you have to get enough traction to get it moving. But a more powerful motor also means a heavier motor. You need to keep the weight of the motor under 6 kg, otherwise the bike will bounce noticeably on the road.
- Check the engine for proper operation. A bicycle with a chainsaw engine is bound to roar loudly, which we think you’re prepared for. Your neighbors and passersby are not likely to be ready. That’s why we recommend to conduct our tests away from human habitation. in a forest, in a park, on a country road.
Pay special attention to checking the condition of the gas tank. No gasoline should be allowed to escape, as it is a fire hazard. The engine will be behind you, so you should take special care.
- Now let’s find out how to put the engine from a chainsaw on a bicycle. You need to make room behind the cyclist, above the rear wheel. For this you have to remove the fender. The easiest way to apply the following scheme: put the drive shaft, and instead of the drive shaft, use a tire. This type of actuator is the easiest and most efficient, the design does not require many parts. The shaft is designed to transmit the rotation from the motor. For this purpose, the diameter of the shaft should be about 25 mm.
Motor on the back of your bicycle
- To mount the motor on your bicycle, weld a metal stand to the frame that is under the seat. Mount the motor as low as possible, so the vehicle is more stable when you ride it. You can fix the motor on the stand in any way. with bolts, clamps or by welding.
- The throttle cable and lines to turn off the engine should be attached carefully to the frame. It’s all about riding comfort and rider safety.
- Done! You can try your new bicycle with a chainsaw motor. Be sure the tire pressure is at least 3 bar.
For the proper assembly of the moped with their own hands, reliable service, for remodeling and construction of other equipment, heed the advice:
- Before assembling your trike, check that it is in optimum condition for the main component. Modifying it will increase the stress on all its parts.
- Carefully check the condition of the gasoline tank. No fuel should be allowed to spill outdoors. к. it may cause a fire.
- In addition to engine power, don’t forget volume and weight. No more than 50 cm³ in capacity and no more than 6 kg in weight.
- When installing the belt make sure that the part is kept on the wheels firmly, otherwise the accuracy of transmission of momentum from the motor to the wheel will decrease.
- With the help of a chainsaw motor you can build yourself and other equipment: karting or tricycle. You have to make an effort: weld a strong metal frame, prepare a working gearbox.
- With a strong frame, gearbox, driver’s seat, wheels with a diameter not less than 35 cm and the engine from the saw try to construct a quad bike.
Do not throw away parts from old appliances. You can breathe a second life into them and create a comfortable means of transportation.
For proper assembly of a moped with their own hands, reliable service, for the remodeling and construction of other equipment, heed the advice:
- Before building your trike, make sure it is in optimum condition for the bike‘s main component. Remodeling will increase the load on all its parts.
- Check the condition of the gasoline tank carefully. Fuel must not leak out. к. it can create a fire.
- In addition to engine power, do not forget the volume and weight. Its dimensions should not exceed 50 cm³, and its weight should not exceed 6 kg.
- When installing the belt, make sure that the part is held firmly to the wheels, otherwise the accuracy of motor-to-wheel transmission will be impaired.
- You can build other machines with your chainsaw motor, like go-karts and tricycles. Some effort is required: welding of a strong metal frame, preparation of the working gear.
- With a strong frame, gearbox, driver’s seat, wheels of at least 35 cm in diameter, and a saw motor, try to build a quad bike.
Don’t throw away parts from old machinery. They can be breathed in a second life and create a convenient means of transportation.
Making a moped with their own hands
So, how to make a moped with your own hands from a chainsaw? For this you do not need to have a higher technical education and have at hand a mobile workshop. enough the necessary minimum tools, a working motor from a chainsaw of almost any brand and a bicycle frame, preferably made of metal pipes, to withstand the load of the engine.
Selecting the motor
Nothing complicated in making a bicycle with a chainsaw motor. But it should be understood that from a light chainsaw, which is used for small jobs, the motor will not work. its power must be at least 2 liters.с. or 1.5 kW. But as for the volume, the situation is just the opposite. the volume must not exceed 50 cm3, otherwise it would violate the Vienna Convention. And so for such a vehicle does not need the rights and registration, as this means is defined as a “bicycle with an outboard engine”.
Equipment of the frame
Self-made moped from a chainsaw is made from a bicycle in any, even in the most “killed” condition. most importantly, that there was a whole frame. Install the chain saw motor on the bike at the junction of the bottom tube and the seat tube. this is the best way to position. Next to it is screwed tank for gasoline, and above the engine, on the upper tube, the battery is installed. Install the engine from a chainsaw so that it was fixed firmly and securely. the motor is subject to vibration and if it is weakly fixed, it will fall down.
If you don’t have a frame from the bike, you can easily weld it, you need some pipes and a welder. This is even better. such a motovelokike from a chainsaw with their own hands will be more robust and reliable, and independently welded frame will place the motor as close as possible to the drive wheel.
You can’t just put a chainsaw motor on your bicycle, it also has to make sure it sends torque to the wheels. This uses pulleys or a chain mechanism:
- Pulley system. In this version, the engine from the chainsaw on the bike will transmit torque through the belt. This system is simpler. it uses factory or homemade pulleys, one on the motor shaft, the second on the hub of the rear wheel, as well as the tension belt. Minus. the belt stretches faster than the chain and is less durable, although the V-belts are not inferior to the chains in durability.
- Chain transmission. You go with the rear sprocket and put a pinion on the motor shaft. Torque transmission is through the chain. it is more durable and resistant to stress, but requires regular maintenance. Choose for yourself how to make a bike with a motor from a chainsaw, or rather, what kind of transmission to install it.
It is clear from the many reviews on the internet that users are looking for new and original ways to improve on existing motor installation techniques.
If you feel attracted to experiments and will not give up the opportunity to turn your bike into a home-made moped that can speed up to 50 km per hour and above, this manual is for you.
Using simple spare parts, you can construct a bicycle with a motor from a chainsaw with your own hands. Let’s begin!
- Thoroughly inspect and test your bicycle. The anticipated modernization will significantly increase the load on all of its parts. Therefore, every part should be inspected and well lubricated. Also check all fasteners and extra tighten bolts. In addition to constructive necessity, all these actions are a guarantee of your safety.
- You can make a bike with a chain saw or grass trimmer motor (also called a chain saw). If you are wondering how to adapt the motor from the lawnmower on the bike, then there is nothing complicated. The lawnmower is as suitable for this design as a chainsaw. If you choose a chainsaw, make sure that its power is at least 2 kW. And if you have a grass trimmer, 1 kW power will be enough, because the lawnmower engine has lower revolutions. The point is you need enough torque to get the bike off the ground. But a more powerful engine means it weighs more. You want the motor to weigh no more than 6 kg, otherwise it’ll bounce around on the road noticeably.
- Check the motor for performance. A bike with a chainsaw motor is bound to roar loudly. we think you’re ready for that. Not ready will probably be your neighbors and random passers-by. Therefore, we recommend to conduct their tests away from human habitation. in the woods, in the park, on a country road.
Read also: Diameter of Moscow in kilometers Pay special attention to check the condition of the gas tank. Gasoline must not spurt out, as this creates a risk of fire. The engine will be behind you, so be especially attentive.
- Now let’s find out how to put the engine from a chainsaw on a bicycle. It is necessary to make room behind the cyclist, over the rear wheel. You will have to remove the fender. The easiest way to go about it is to put a driveshaft and use a tire instead of a driveshaft. This type of drive is the simplest and most efficient, the design does not require a large number of parts. The friction shaft will transmit the rotation from the engine and this requires a shaft diameter of about 25mm.
The motor over the rear wheel of the bicycle
- To install the engine on your bike, weld a metal stand to the frame that is under the seat. Install the motor as low as possible, then your vehicle in motion will be more stable. You can attach the motor to the stand in any way you like. with bolts, with clamps, or by welding.
- The throttle cable and the wires that will forcibly shut off the engine must be carefully secured to the frame. It’s a question of riding comfort and rider safety.
- Done! You can try out your new bike with a chain saw motor. Be sure the tire pressure is at least 3 bar.
Tips & Tricks
In the forums you can find many useful tips, how and what to do when assembling a moped from a chainsaw and bike. The implementation of simple wishes and tips from practice will help amateurs avoid embarrassing blunders when constructing a moped from a chain saw.
- Since upgrading your bike will put a lot of strain on all components, you should first make sure that your bike is in good condition.
- Engine from a chainsaw after transformation into a homemade cycle motor, so the original parameters of the engine should be strictly observed: weight. up to 6 kg, capacity up to 50 cc. See.
- Test the condition of the fuel tank thoroughly to avoid a fire hazard.
- On the correct installation and tension of the belt depends on the transmission of force from the bike motor to the wheel.
I used an old bicycle as a frame, sawed off the handlebar and the back of the bike. it was the base for the moped. aligned the motor so that the chain does not tilt and it does not fly off. Welded the rack from the gearbox and then put the motor and the ears near the snail, I welded a corner drilled holes and fastened the motor with a bolt for M6.
Next just welded his frame by poke method without any drawings and dimensions, the seat put from an old bike “Aist”. Bought a fuel tank from a Rig 13 and all that is left is to install the brakes and paint.