How to mow grass with a trimmer in hay. How to use the grass trimmer
tricks that make working with a trimmer more efficient
A garden grass trimmer is a very useful piece of equipment for anyone who has their own plot. Grass trimmers for the garden are also called brushcutters. They come in gasoline and electric. Care for electric grass trimmers is very simple, but owners of gasoline trimmers need to know a lot of nuances. In this article, we will explain in detail how to start the grass trimmer, run it in, as well as how to properly mow the grass with it.
Mowing the grass
Purpose of trimmer head (grass trimmer spool, mowing head, grass trimmer spool)
- To remove all unwanted vegetation under walls, along fences, curbs, around trees, posts, bushes, between stumps and other obstacles.
- To mow the grass on the lawn in places inaccessible to lawn mowers.
- To selectively cut through loose grass and weeds before mowing the area for hay.
- To cut weeds in a bed between plants.
- To sow potato foliage in the vegetable garden before digging.
- To completely remove grass and weeds, for example, from the paths.
- To sweep (creates an air vortex from high revolutions of the grass trimmer line).
Trimmer head (mowing head or grass trimmer reel) has a high capacity when mowing grass, t.к. it is lighter for a metal blade and has a larger diameter of grip. 45 cm, compared to 25 cm for a hay knife.
There are three versions of garden trimmers on sale. electric, battery-powered and gasoline-powered. Mains models, plugged into a socket, are less common, as they have minimal ability to operate autonomously due to being tied to the power grid. In addition, in terms of economy, it is not the best grass trimmer to cut the grass. Electric unit can justify itself only in the work in the neighborhood of the house, if there is an opportunity to supply extension cords for connecting cables.
Potential for churning flying rocks puts windows at risk in homes and on cars. The shields around the trimmer head are in place to reduce flying debris and protect the operator. no one removes the shields after the modified grass trimmer is no longer under warranty or can be used safely.
When refueling, make sure the engine is stopped and the grass trimmer is placed on a flat, level surface. preferably not grass. Grass trimmers should never be left on the grass for long periods of time. Refilling should be done with the proper system to avoid leaks or overfilling.
Gasoline models have always been considered a direct competitor to electric models. They offer high power, virtually no restrictions on movement and can even handle the cutting of shrubs. But, the gasoline grass trimmer for mowing the grass is also characterized by high weight, noisy operation, strong vibrations, exhaust emissions and high cost. Cordless versions aren’t tied to a power source either, but they lose out to gasoline trimmers in terms of power.
Be sure to use the appropriate line weight, as indicated in the owner’s manual. Grass trimmer string that is too thick for the engine can cause damage. Some grass trimmers can accept a trimming blade, but never use a blade on a trimmer that is not designed to use trimming blades. Accessories that aren’t designed for a particular grass trimmer can create excessive vibration, engine wear or binding. This can lead to motor strain, possible component failure and potential damage to the operator.
The rules for operating a trimmer when mowing grass
When you’re picking up equipment to work on your summer cottage or in your garden, you don’t have to run after the most expensive types of equipment that have a lot of power. It’s understandable that power speeds up your work. But the fact is that power is always a lot of weight, a lot of fuel costs, and the cost of the device. But that’s not the problem here either.
If you own a small garden, where shrubs and trees grow compactly, and there is also a flowerbed, then it will be inappropriate to choose a large lawnmower for the cottage. There is no room to turn around. You will often claw trees and accidentally cut branches on bushes. The best option in this case. buy an inexpensive trimmer for the grass. It is always a pleasure to work with, as the technique is easy to use even for those people who have never worked with grass mowing.
Grass trimmer has a small motor, comfortable handles for holding and trimmer line, which is directed in the bobbin.
If your plot has only six acres or less, it is appropriate to use an electric trimmer for grass, which works from the network. With such a device it is convenient to mow the grass near curbs, near the house, under benches, around trees. It is convenient to work with a trimmer in greenhouses and greenhouses, removing weeds.
Of course, the power cable on the trimmer is not big, but it can be continued with an extension cord. But if the requirements are not met, then you can look for a trimmer for grass with a gasoline engine. There are also battery-powered trimmers for grass. Battery lasts for no more than an hour. But even this is enough to mow the grass in the garden or near the house.
Varieties of lawn trimmers
There are grass trimmers that have motors on top and bottom. Where the motor is on the bottom, it’s called a lower-motor grass trimmer. The grass trimmers with the top-mounted motor are best on uneven surfaces. Never short-circuit from moisture when the motor is on top of the unit.
Trimmers are very convenient to use. However, there are still some rules for the use of this dacha equipment, which in the work should always be observed.Before you start using the trimmer for grass, you should check if there are no stones, glass and other objects on the area. When working, they can bounce and injure the operator.
The second rule is the installation of the cutting system. There are grass trimmers that are not very powerful. In them the grass is mowed with a fishing line. But there are also such models, the engine power of which reaches one kilowatt. The knives are already installed there. If you can see large weeds on the plot, you need to unscrew the nut and on the attachment and install the knife instead of the line.
Starting work, you need to protect the head with goggles, because even the absence of foreign objects does not guarantee safety. In the eyes can fly splinters of grass. If the grass trimmer is powered, then plug it in. Rechargeable battery machines require charging. If there is a shoulder mount, then put them on.
The cutting mechanism on the trimmer rotates counterclockwise. Mowing is very simple: move the device from right to left. If you have to mow a lot, you need to divide the area by squares and walk “by squares”. If the grass area is sloped, you have to mow from below moving upwards parallel to the slope.
Care of the grass trimmer
After finishing your work, you need special care for your hand-held trimmer: the machine needs to be cleaned of grass residue, and then neatly folded until the next time.
A trimmer line is wound onto the bobbin to cut the grass. The edges are always visible on the outside. In order not to damage the trimmer line, do not bring the grass trimmer head close to curbs, fences and other hard objects. The bobbin itself, on which the line for the trimmer is attached, must not touch the ground either.
Always mow with the tip of the line, this gives the best result. If you cut the whole length of the line, the motor overheats. If the grass is tall, you should not try to cut it all at once. At least two passes are required. Otherwise the grass will wind up on the reel. If this happens, the motor begins to overload. Once in a while you need to stop working and clean the grass trimmer head. Meanwhile, the engine can cool down.
Gear lubrication of gasoline grass trimmer
If the grass is very tough, line consumption is fast. However, if you work carefully, following all the rules and requirements, the consumption of the line will be minimal.Today, to buy a grass trimmer is enough to apply to any garden center, where experts will help pick up the right technique.
How to mow tall grass with a trimmer
Ideally, tall grass can be mowed with a powerful trimmer with a thick line. But, agree, the land where weeds grow is not always smooth, landowners often have bushes and all kinds of debris, stones on their plots. In order not to ruin your expensive equipment it’s better to mow in two stages. That is, first we cut off the tops of the stalks, look over the territory, analyzing “difficult areas”, and then we make a complete mowing procedure with a gasoline mower.
If you have to make grass for hay, and you are more or less oriented in the state of the ground. then it is easier to predict your work. Any machine designed for cutting grass. can also cut through high bushes. The main thing. do not rush and competently approach the process itself, which we clearly demonstrate in a practical video.
- do not overload the machine
- If the grass gets tangled, turn off the machine at once;
- Do not mow wet grass, even with a gasoline trimmer.
Buy grass trimmer reel, knives and disks. you can always at us, in the store KosiKosa.
Safety precautions during work
Technique of trimmer work with a string and a disk has some differences. A line for a trimmer cuts the grass at the very end, but if you move too fast, the entire length is used. That way the stems don’t get cut, but the grass gets wrapped around the cord and the engine is overloaded. So you need to select the best swath speed. In addition, when mowing tall and tough grass, the trimmer line is consumed faster than when mowing the lawn.
There are a few simple guidelines which, if followed, will make mowing more efficient and effective.
- Trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor are convenient for mowing garden paths, flowerbeds and edges of lawns. The rotation plane of the reel of such a device can be positioned perpendicular to the ground.
- Dense thickets, large weeds, bushes should be mowed with discs or special attachments.
- When clearing large areas the tool should be tilted to the left, in the direction of swing.
- To cut the grass around flower beds, bushes and other objects, the grass trimmer head should be turned towards them. This way you can mow the objects without damaging them.
It should be remembered that the bobbin or disc should not touch the ground and any obstacles other than grass and branches that need to be cut.
Working safely with brushcutters involves the following safety precautions.
- You should not use trimmers when it is raining or very damp.
- Keep people and animals at least 15 meters away from the cutting head as grass clippings, small debris and stones fly out from under the cutting head at high speed and can cause serious injury.
- It is better for the grass trimmer operator to wear clothing made of thick fabric that completely covers his hands and feet.
- Wear protective goggles, gloves, headwear, closed shoes, special earphones or earplugs.
- The wire of a power grass trimmer should be behind the mower.
So, the use of handheld machines for grass mowing allows you to maintain order on a small area. Mowers are best used over large areas. In addition, the grass trimmer is relevant when making hay and tidying up the territory: small grass clippings can be mulched strawberries and other useful plants. You can visually see the process of mowing with this tool on the video.
Unlike the disc. mowing with a cord trimmer is safer, but not always optimal. As they say, it is worth to choose the cutting mechanism under the peculiarities of your area of work or use integrated systems, where you can operate both the disk and the line for the trimmer, if necessary, setting the first, then the second.
As we have already written, lawn mower with a fishing line can be automatic, semi-automatic and manual. In the first case, the cutting element is “thrown” itself after each new start of the machine. This is very convenient, but not economical enough, for example, if your area is irregular in shape, and contains corners, jagged edges, and during the long transition to each of such areas the mechanism should be turned off and on again.
It is important for the operator to understand that the length of the line ends that he sees in front of him when extended is exactly the diameter that the device will mow. You can read about how to thread the line onto the spool in one of our articles, but the most important thing to remember is that the length of the line ends should be optimal for proper mowing.
How to mow with a petrol mower correctly? This should be done so that it will last you as long as possible:
- keep the spool 10 cm off the ground;
- When working with tall grass. mow it at the top, and then at the stem to protect yourself from winding it on the device;
- Drive the machine in the same direction in which the reel rotates;
- Lawn grass, especially near walls and garden décor, should be mowed with the tips of the line so as not to overload the engine;
- every 15 minutes give the device a break.
You’ll find any answers to your questions about mowers in this section of the site, but we’re also happy to offer lawn mower parts among our other gasoline tool assortment.
Ideally, tall grass can be mowed with a powerful trimmer with a thick line. But you must admit that the land where the weeds are growing is not always flat, landowners often have bushes and all kinds of debris, stones, etc. on their plots. In order not to ruin your expensive equipment you’d better mow in two stages.
If you have to cut the grass for hay, and you know the condition of the ground more or less, it is easier to predict your work. Any technique intended for grass mowing can cope with high bushes. The main thing is not to hurry and to approach the process step by step, as we demonstrate in the practical video.
- Do not overload the machine;
- If the grass gets tangled up, turn the machine off immediately;
- Do not mow wet grass even with a gasoline trimmer.
You can always buy a grass trimmer reel, knives and disks at our store KosiKosa.
Safety precautions during operation
There are a few differences between the string trimmer and the disk trimmer. A trimmer line cuts the grass at its tip, but if you run too fast, the entire length of the line is used. As a result, the stems are not cut, and the grass is wound up on the cord, which overloads the engine. That’s why it’s important to choose the best line speed. In addition, when mowing tall and tough grass, the trimmer line is consumed faster than when mowing the lawn.
There are a few simple trimming tips to make mowing more efficient and effective.
- Trimmer with the engine below is convenient to mow garden paths, flower beds and edges of lawns. The plane of rotation of the tool’s coil can be perpendicular to the ground.
- Dense thickets, large weeds, bushes should be mowed with discs or special attachments.
- Tilt to the left in the direction of the sweep when clearing larger areas.
- To mow the grass around flower beds, shrubs and other objects, you should turn the grass trimmer head with the hood towards them. This allows you to mow and not injure yourself.
Remember that the bobbin or disc must not touch the ground or any obstacles other than grass or twigs that you want to cut.
Safety precautions when working with brushcutters include.
- Do not use your trimmer in rain or high humidity.
- Keep people and animals at least 15 m away from the cutting head: grass clippings, small debris and stones may fly out from under the cutting head at high speed and cause injuries.
- Grass trimmer operator should wear thick clothing, covering hands and feet completely.
- Wear safety glasses, gloves, headwear, closed shoes, special earphones or earplugs.
- The lead of the power grass trimmer must be behind the mower.
So, the use of hand-held devices for mowing grass allows you to maintain order on a small plot. Mowers are easier to use on large lawns. Grass trimmers are also useful for haymaking and landscaping: small grass clippings can be used to mulch strawberries and other useful plants. You can visually see the process of mowing with this tool in the video.
Mowing with a corded trimmer is safer, but not always as optimal as with a disc. As they say, it is worth choosing a cutting mechanism under the peculiarities of your area of work, or to use complex systems, where you can operate both the disk and the line for the trimmer, if necessary, setting the first, then the second.
As we have already written, lawn trimmer with a fishing line can be automatic, semi-automatic and manual. In the first case, the cutting element “ejects” itself after each new start of the machine. This is very convenient, but not economical enough, for example, if your area is irregularly shaped and contains corners, jagged edges, and during a long transition to each of these areas the mechanism must be turned off and on again.
It is important for the operator to understand that the length of the line tips that he sees in front of him when extended is exactly the diameter that the device will mow. You can read about how to thread a line in a spool in one of our articles, but the main thing to remember: the length of the line ends should be optimal for proper mowing.
How to mow with a chainsaw correctly? This should be done so that it will last you as long as possible:
- keep the spool 10 cm above the ground;
- When working with tall grass. mow it at the top, and then already at the stem to protect yourself from its winding on the device;
- Drive the machine in the same direction as the coil rotates;
- Lawn grass, especially near walls and garden décor, should be mowed with the ends of the line so as not to overload the engine;
- take a break every 15 minutes.
You’ll find any answers to your questions about mowers in this section of the site, but we’re also happy to offer spare parts for lawn mowers among our other range of benzoinstrument.
Ideally, tall grass can be mowed with a powerful trimmer with a thick line. But you must admit that the land with weeds is not always flat, landowners often have bushes and different kinds of garbage and stones on their plots. To avoid wasting expensive equipment you’d better mow in two stages.
In a situation if you have to make hay, and you are more or less oriented in the condition of the ground. then it is easier to predict your work. Any grass-cutting technique is good for overgrown grass, too. The main thing. do not rush and competently approach the process, as we demonstrate in a practical video.
- Do not overload the machine;
- If the grass gets tangled, immediately turn off the device;
- do not mow wet grass even with a gasoline trimmer.
Buy a grass trimmer spool, knives and discs. you can always at us, in the store KosiKosa.
Safety precautions during work
When working with brushcutters, safety precautions include the following points.
- Do not use trimmers in rain or high humidity.
- People and animals should be at least 15 m away from the working device: grass clippings, small debris and stones fly out from under the cutting head at high speed and can injure.
- The operator of the grass trimmer is better to wear tight-fitting clothing that completely covers his hands and feet.
- Wear protective goggles, gloves, hard hat, closed shoes, special earplugs or earplugs.
- The wire of the grass trimmer’s power cable must be behind the mower.
Important! Do not reach with hand or foot for the cutting head!
So, the use of hand-held grass trimmers allows you to maintain order in a small area. On large areas it is more convenient to use the mower. In addition, the grass trimmer is relevant for making hay and tidying up the area: small grass clippings can be mulched strawberries and other useful plants. You can visually see how you mow with this tool in the video.
Mowing tall grass with a fishing line
Stronger grass trimmers with thicker lines are ideal for thicker grass stems (weeds). But in areas with large weeds, the ground is often uneven. Catching on clumps of earth, the grass trimmer’s motor will stall sharply. Overdoing it, you can easily damage the engine. When you cut the top layer, you will see where the grass is at its longest. in deeper places. By targeting such “height differences,” you will even out the “mowing” of the lawn, bringing its appearance closer to the ideal.
Grass cuttings are good for hay as well as lawn fertilizer. Mowing is easier to plan, and the process is faster.
Here are some tips when mowing tall grass.
- The engine should not overload.
- If the line gets tangled in uneven ground or high grass, shut off the engine right away.
- Do not mow wet grass if you use gasoline or diesel fuel.
- Move the grass trimmer straight ahead and to the left, t. к. The cuttings fall onto the previously mown area. The higher layer of grass is cut. Mow the lower layers when you have already mowed in the opposite direction.
- If the area to be mowed is very large, mow one conventional zone after another, into which you divide the area before working.
- Always drive around the outside of the area to avoid trampling in the cuttings, which would make your results inconspicuous.
- The lines to be mowed must be parallel to one another. This allows you to easily bypass the trees on the site, without overloading the engine.
If you follow these recommendations, the grass will not fly to the sides when working, and the process itself will be simplified and accelerated at times.
For the correct way to trim the grass with a trimmer, see below.