How to Remove a Champion Saw Sprocket. When to change?
How to remove the chain sprocket from a Champion chain saw
There are many tools that require periodic replacement of various parts. This also applies to chain saws. Those people who own chainsaws often face the problem of a sprocket failure, which is one of the main components of this tool. Consequently, many people have a question: how to remove the chain saw sprocket? This part is also often referred to as the clutch disc or centrifugal mechanism.
The drum, which is located at the base of the clutch mechanism, is an integral part of the chain drive. It is shaped like a chain saw, and this is how the nickname “chain saw” comes to be. Regardless of the chainsaw, it can be a professional or a consumer chainsaw. often professional saws are used than domestic ones, in which case the part should be replaced regularly. With saws that are used in the home, everything is a little easier, because the amount of work is much less than the operation of these tools for professional purposes. the second case is much more stressful on the tool than the first, so it is worth checking the sprocket from time to time.
The reasonability of timely replacement of worn out parts of the chain drive
The design of the chainring determines the chain pitch.
- Installation of a new part on a worn sprocket reduces smoothness of its motion, accelerates wear, initiates risk of chain breakage and creation of injury situation.
- There is also an increase in the operating loads on the motor and kinematic elements of the tool.
- The same process is used when putting old sprocket chains on a bar, the diameter of which is adjusted to the size of the bar by removing some of the links.
How to Replace the Clutch on a Chainsaw And Solve Chain OIL issue चैन ऑयल नहीं आ रहीं।
It is also not recommended to change sprockets sizes arbitrarily. Experimentation can have a negative effect on motor life and overall tool kinematics.
The safety of sawing work of different degrees of complexity is ensured by the effective work of the emergency stop brake and devices that block the chain ends from flying in case of accidental breakage. Either way. the safest way to prevent accidents and keep your chain saw in good working order.
After we have diagnosed the failure of the clutch system and the drive sprocket, you need to buy replacement parts. Knowing and matching the chainsaw to the chain is important here. If you decide to put a chain with a different pitch, the sprocket should also be replaced with a new one.
It is also not advisable to use Chinese parts in European-made chainsaws. If you do so, it will reduce the reliability of your saw significantly.
This requirement applies to all models, regardless of where they are made or what class they belong to.
The chain sprocket is often sold as a complete set with a replacement bearing, but you can buy it separately. If we talk about the price of the sprocket and the entire repair kit, then here you need to consider the brand of chainsaw and its model. For a Chinese chainsaw, the drive sprocket will cost about 5-7. for chainsaw repair kits from European manufacturers start at 20.
Important: Take your chainsaw model and class into account. Domestic and professional tools have different drive gears.
Before going to the store, it is best to take a picture of the parts you are going to replace and show the photo to the salesperson.
What you need to replace the sprocket on your chainsaw?
The main thing that is required. an understanding of the internal structure of saws and a certain knack: if you hold this power tool in the hands for the first time, it is better not to experiment with repairs and leave it to more experienced people.
If you are confident in your own technical competence, you will need to replace the sprocket on your chainsaw:
How to reduce wear on the part?
There are a number of rules, observing which the owner of a chainsaw will be able to reduce the intensity of wear of the leading part of the garden tool. Their list includes:
- no nails, stones or other hard objects in the saw chain. The less often the headset comes into contact with foreign objects, the less stress will be placed on the driving element of the tool;
- use only good quality lubricants. They have all the components you need to keep the sprocket and the cutting parts running smoothly;
- proper storage conditions. in damp, wet rooms the metal parts of the tool will be susceptible to rust. The sprocket also suffers from this, especially if it is not covered with a protective cover.
The weather conditions in which you use your garden tool are also important. Its owner needs to avoid frequent use of the saw in rainy weather. This will not only give an opportunity to protect the sprocket from rust, but also make the work safer for the operator.
Is there any way to extend the life of an existing sprocket??
The main ways to extend the working life of the chainsaw drive sprocket:
- use several chains (preferably. three). this method is the gentlest and most convenient for the chainsaw operator because it’s not necessary to constantly retighten a chain that has been worn through intensive work. Operating the three chains alternately will help preserve sprocket life and delay replacement;
- High-quality sprocket bearing maintenance. This part plays an important role in the functioning of both the drive sprocket and the motor. A special lubricant is recommended for greasing. The sprocket bearing is not engaged all the time, but only at idle speed, so it needs periodic lubrication. You can use a bar nose grease, such as standard Repsol or Husqvarna grease.
A little about the rules of operation of the assembly
Regardless of the brand manufacturer (STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner, Patriot, Makita ) chain saws are divided into household, semi-professional and professional. The difference, however, is not in the quality of assembly or component manufacture, but in the class of tasks performed, performance and long-term power of the drive. This determines the choice of drive sprocket material for the chainsaw, the chain design and the chain construction.
The performance of the tool will be determined by the way the chain-and-sprocket pair works. In most cases, users use one of the two options:
- The chain is used until the teeth are completely worn out, at which point both the saw blade and the sprocket are replaced at the same time;
- Periodic replacement of chains, which have different pitches, and each requires a different drive sprocket.
The choice of this variant is often determined by the owner’s attitude towards his tool. If it is all the same what to cut (wood or steel staples, screws etc.) then it is possible to choose the first method.), it is possible to choose the first option. The chain, however, will have to be periodically dressed, thereby reducing the productivity of work on the chainsaw.
it is categorically not recommended to leave the old chain with a new sprocket and vice versa. If the saw blade is worn, there is almost a one percent chance that the tooth pitch will not match. That is why both chain drive components are subjected to high dynamic stress during the initial startup phase. The result is either the chain will stretch prematurely “adjusting” to the sprocket or a tooth on the drive sprocket will explode on impact.
In addition to this, the operation of the sprocket shaft bearings is also worth emphasizing. When the saw is in RPM mode only the crankshaft rotates. But all chainsaws occasionally run at idle speed when the bearing is rotating. Lack of lubrication leads to wear of the arbor and. as a consequence. toothing run-out in a still perfectly usable chain drive.
It follows that when replacing the chain and drive sprocket for a chainsaw, it is not bad to replace the bearing at the same time.
How to remove the chain saw sprocket
It is possible to remove and change the sprocket at home, without resorting to the services of the service center. The procedure is as follows:
- unscrew the attachment of the saw unit with a special wrench;
- Unscrew and remove the headset cover;
- unscrew and remove the air filter cover and the filter itself;
- unscrew the spark plug.
To remove the sprocket, you need to fix the engine piston. Pull the kickstarter cord smoothly, raising the piston up, but not pulling it all the way. We push a long piece of thick cord through the spark plug hole until it fills the combustion chamber. This is to prevent the piston from passing the top dead center. At the same time, the cord will serve as a damper, protecting the piston from possible damage. Part of the cord should come out of the hole so that it can be removed later.
To unscrew the sprocket, you need a special wrench, which rarely comes with saws, especially cheap models. Use a soft metal mallet that is made of copper or aluminum.
Lean the tapper against the cams mounting jaws of the centrifugal mechanism and apply light hammer blows. The direction of impact should be nearly parallel to the clutch plane, because a larger angle could bend the cam mount and the clutch would have to be replaced. The direction of impact is counterclockwise. The clutch is often marked “off” and has an arrow to show the direction of impact.
Do not use steel hammer or a chisel because there is a high risk of damaging the clutch.
Once the nut is unscrewed it can be unscrewed by hand.
Some saw manufacturers use simple left-hand threaded nuts for the clutch and sprocket. The task is then simplified because a simple open-ended wrench of the right size can be used for removal.
Chainsaw Repair. Replacing the Drum and Sprocket (Poulan Part # 545171901)
Now remove the drive sprocket, being careful not to lose the plastic gear of the oil pump drive and the needle bearing.
How to Install
After all the work is done, the sprocket can be replaced with a serviceable. Reassemble in reverse order. It is advisable to additionally lubricate the needle bearing.
No need to apply much effort when tightening the nut. it will tighten during operation.
Block: 4/5 | Number of characters: 2199
When replacing the clutch, we do not recommend the use of metal or plastic objects as a stopper. The former can scratch the cylinder; the latter can litter the cylinder.
- Engage the chain stop brake, remove the protective cap and disassemble the saw headset;
- Remove dirt, filings, dried grease, if any;
- Remove air filter and spark plug;
- Unscrew the spark plug by means of a spark plug wrench;
- Rotating the crankshaft, bring the piston to the top point, then withdraw 6-9 mm;
- Using a 7-8 mm rope, stop the piston in its upper position;
- Unscrew the nut on the clutch with a special wrench.
Most of the chain saw’s moving parts, have right-hand rotation. That is why the nut on the clutch has a left-hand thread. It is necessary to turn the key clockwise to remove the cover. Do not perform this operation with a hammer and chisel. you will break the facets!
- Remove the cover and drive sprocket. Diagnose malfunctions and assess the wear of parts. Evaluate the condition of the needle bearing;
- If necessary, replace parts with new ones (the drive sprocket is the most commonly needed);
Reassembly of the chainsaw clutch is done in reverse order, but you must pay attention to a few details.
Nuances at installation of clutch system:
- On some chainsaw models there may be a washer between the drive sprocket and the clutch. Pay attention to which side of the motor it is facing;
- Some oil pump drives are equipped with a special spring (whisker), which is responsible for the transmission of rotational motion from the drive sprocket to the oil pump. It is important to adjust the spring so that its free end (whisker) falls into the appropriate slot on the sprocket housing. Otherwise the saw head will not be lubricated;
Important: After you have dismantled and reassembled the clutch, always check that the automatic oil supply is working.