How to remove holes in the wall from the drill
A large, deep hole
There may be different reasons for this particular defect. This and the hole after the removal of the socket box or just the result of your child’s fascination with geology. But do not panic. The following instructions will help you perform the repair work effortlessly.
- using a vacuum cleaner clean the place to be treated of plaster crumbs and dust;
- Wet the gap from the inside, using a wet brush or foam rubber;
- Depending on the depth of the hole, choose the necessary finishing material. If the depth is not more than 5 cm, it is enough to simply cover the defect with repair mortar. After drying, reseal any cracks that have formed. For deeper holes, it is better to use a brick or its replacement, which is required to plant inside the hole and putty plaster or putty;
- In such a defect it is better to use a large trowel, which you apply finishing plaster, putty or gypsum mortar, while the surface should become perfectly flat. The undamaged areas around the pieced hole must also be seized;
- Wait some time for the wall to dry. After that, the place of repair is cleaned up with a sheet of sandpaper and finished with paint or wallpaper.
Fixing through holes in the concrete
Through-holes may remain after drilling with a perforator or replacing systems that go through the wall.
How you repair drill holes in your wall.
The main feature of repairing such damages is the need to plaster them on both sides. You need to cover the opening on one side with a board and grout the other side, then put a board to the second hole.
If it is impossible to get to one of the holes, installation is carried out as follows:
- The slit is expanded, cleaned of dust, moistened and primed.
- Find the points of support, in which screws or dowels are screwed in as deep as possible with a concrete drill. In total, you need to screw in 4-5 dowels. they will serve as a support for the tab.
- The hollow space is filled with a stone or brick and filled with cement.
- After the area dries, it is puttyed and grouted.
How to seal a hole in the wall: step by step instructions
A big or small hole in the wall is a defect in any case. Even after excluding aesthetic moments, any crack or hole in the surface is a serious defect, mechanical and decorative at the same time. Sloppy hole from a wall clock or a painting raises the same question. How and how difficult it is to seal a hole in the wall, whether it depends on the materials, their age, the degree of mobility of structures and the size of the hole itself? Today we disclose step by step all the issues related to the removal of defects in the form of through holes from pipes or small holes from outlets.
How to caulk a nail mark in the wall as if it never existed
After removing wallpaper before a new repair often reveal holes in the wall from nails and other fasteners. A similar problem may arise after getting rid of an annoying painting, clock, shelf.
To finish looks perfectly flat and beautiful, any defects must be carefully sealed. The technology to perform the work will depend on the depth and size of the holes, as well as the base material, etc.д.
How to patch holes up to 0.5 cm in the wall plasterboard
Caulk holes in drywall, left by anchors, dowels, screws when moving hanging furniture or shelves, is not difficult. To do this you will need an acrylic sealant. It is pressed into the recess and compared with a trowel to the plane of the wall. After it dries, it will still have to be sanded with a mesh or sandpaper. And in the case of glue shrinkage and a small depression in the place of the hole, for the final disappearance of the defect it is enough to apply an ordinary putty.
Gypsum bandages These bandages are sold in pharmacies and specialized medical stores. A piece of bandage is cut off, rolled up into a tube, moistened with water, and inserted into a nail hole. After curing, the gypsum will become hard as a stone, and will reliably seal the hole.
The surest way to remove the hole is to buy filler, which is sold at any building material store. Compound from the can should be applied on a small spatula and close the defect. When the composition on the wall dries, everything must be plastered and paint the wall in the desired color.
Holes in the wall after replacing pipes can be removed with your own hands in the following ways:
Scheme with the assembly foam: fill the cavity, after drying, perform trimming, grout the height difference by mixing the cement and sand, plaster the surface, after drying to eliminate the irregularities.
- to fill the hole in the wall should pick up a cotton rag, which in a crumpled state almost entirely fills the section;
- Prepare the concrete mortar;
- Thoroughly moisten the rag in the mixture, shove it into the void, tamping so that there are no protruding parts;
- After drying, the hole will be almost completely filled, it remains to caulk the height difference with liquid concrete and perform finishing.
The latter scheme allows you to seal a through hole not only in the horizontal wall, but also in the slab of the interfloor floor, as well as holes in the bathroom, using a waterproofing mixture to soak the rag, if necessary.
Replacing the concrete mortar with liquid glass, which should perform impregnation, you can similarly eliminate holes from mice.
In order to remove holes from rats, which have sharper teeth and stronger stomachs, ground glass should be used as a filler, along with the rag impregnated with liquid glass, over which layer the external finish is made.
How to Remove and Fill Drywall Anchors
If the cross-section is large, the hole formed can be sealed with small pieces of concrete or brick and sand-cement mortar:
- Remove concrete debris in the form of dust and small pebbles from the cavity.
- Liberally moisten the surface with a brush, foam rubber or spray.
- Lubricate the pieces of concrete or brick with mortar and perform placement in the cavity so that there are no protruding parts.
- After the hole is dry, fill the hole with cement and leave to dry.
- Fill in the cement patch.
- After drying, remove any irregularities by using sandpaper.
The method considered allows you not only to seal the hole in the concrete, formed after drilling and poking out the concrete, but also to repair holes after the foam, if such a filling is not justified.
Initially, it is necessary to make a section of the crack with a trowel or chisel, then depending on the width and depth it is recommended to apply:
- If the hole is deep or wide, fill the section with grout and then finish with repair mortar and filler;
- for a narrow crack it is acceptable to use putty in several layers to level out the irregularities.
Causes of holes
In the process of exploitation of any building there is inevitably a destruction of the building envelope. Cracks and cracks in the walls can be caused by various factors:
- in the case of natural shrinkage of a new house;
- In the case of vulnerability of envelope structures from the effects of the environment. precipitation, low and high temperatures, wind;
- When replacing or transferring heating and water pipes inside the house;
- installation of switches and sockets. their transfer to another place;
- Laying of electrical wiring and other communications through walls;
- fixing, dismantling, transfer of shelves, wall cabinets, sconces, decorative elements;
- Accidental mechanical damage.
Peculiarities of repair of cracks in the enclosing constructions
To patch a small crack in the wall of blocks, such as bricks, it is first expanded (with a trowel). This allows the repair compound to penetrate deeper. First remove debris and dust from the hole, treat the surface with primer. Then fill in the hole with putty. After drying, the putty surface is sanded with an abrasive material.
Larger damages are repaired differently. After removing dirt, the recess must be moistened with water and placed in it cement or gypsum mortar. depending on the location of the hole (on the inside or outside of the wall). Chopped bricks must be added to the mortar. When the mortar hardens, the repaired area is puttyed and polished after drying.
Large holes are filled with brick debris, then caulked with mortar
Pipes, appliances, hinged cabinets and shelves after dismantling leave holes in the wall, sometimes quite deep or through. If the hole can be “approached” only from one side, the work is carried out in the following sequence:
- Inside the hole screw dowels and screws (4 pcs), which will keep the brick from falling out on the opposite side.
- It is necessary to place a brick of the appropriate size inside the recess of the masonry.
- The space around the brick fragment is encased in cement mortar.
- When the repaired area dries, top filler followed by grinding.
If the hole is through, it is filled with mortar on both sides.
Methods of patching holes in monolithic structures
In a concrete wall holes appear for various reasons:
- A chip or hole can form accidentally if struck with a heavy object;
- From self-tapping screws and other fasteners may remain a small hole;
- Through holes remain after the dismantling of sockets and pipes.
If from inside the room such a defect spoils the appearance of the room, then outside the hole over time under the influence of the environment will begin to increase. It is therefore recommended that even small pits be closed as quickly as possible.
To seal a small damage in the concrete wall, it is necessary to perform preparatory actions, namely, to enlarge it for easy treatment with primer. To do this, use a screwdriver or a screw. Using a vacuum cleaner, remove cement dust from the hole.
Treating the damage from the inside with a primer ensures high adhesion of concrete with plaster or cement putty. When the primer dries, the hole is filled with putty, the composition is leveled. After drying, the surface is sanded, removing irregularities. The finished smooth finish can be masked with any finishing material.
Sequence of sealing a crack in a concrete wall
Note! Wall defects are often sealed during the preparatory stage of cosmetic repairs, after the removal of the old finish.
First putty the damaged areas of the wall, and then to give the surface an even color and evenness, apply leveling putty over the entire area of the wall
If the damage to the concrete wall is large, using a “blank” putty will not work. it will crack over time. Therefore, the process of sealing looks as follows:
- Of materials and tools you will need a mixture based on gypsum (for the premises) or cement mortar to repair the wall on the street side, plaster for finishing, trowel, sandpaper, container and mixer for preparing the mortar.
- The damaged area is cleaned from dirt and dusted, primed.
- If the damaged area is smaller than 5 cm, plaster or other repair compound can be used to fill it. If the surface of the dried mortar appears cobwebs of cracks, then get rid of them will help the second layer of plaster.
- If the size of the damaged area is more than 5 cm, put inside a bulky object of suitable size to fill the depression as much as possible (stone, brick, piece of foam plastic). The rest of the space is filled with putty. Also put a layer of putty on top, which is sanded after drying.
A through hole in the concrete wall, which remained after the removal of the pipe, is sealed on each side. For this purpose it is possible to use plaster or assembly foam. The second method allows you to fill the hole quickly, to a full depth. The foam expands inside the hole and fills all the gaps. After curing it remains only to cut it, cut a little depth. about 2 cm and fill the resulting recess with mortar. To make the surface smooth, it is recommended to use a cement-sand mixture, and on top of plaster, brushed after drying with a fine-grained abrasive.
When using cement, the cavity of the hole is filled with stones, rags, foam plastic, so that the hole is tightly closed. Then cement mortar and filler are used to fill the voids.
Advice from the master! The cloth can be soaked in cement mortar before being placed inside the hole. When it has hardened, the only thing left is to fill the holes that have formed. Then the plaster is applied and the face layer is smoothed for further finishing.
Common defects in concrete walls include cracks in the area where the ceiling and wall joints, deep joints and holes around heating pipes.
How to repair a plasterboard partition
Drywall indoors is used to build partitions, niches, shelving, screens for radiators, etc. To damage such a construction is not difficult. a blow with a hard object provides a hole in the partition. Seal an unplanned hole in the construction of gypsum board is easy. There are two ways. The first involves the manufacture of a separate part of the gypsum board, which corresponds to the size of the hole. The fragment is simply inserted into the hole, fixed with putty, then the repaired area is sanded and painted in the desired shade.
If the damage is small, for example, from the fasteners, then it requires reinforcing mesh and putty.
How To Remove And Fill Drywall Anchor Holes | DIY Fast And Easy Repair For Beginners!
Table. Drywall Partition Repair
|Step 1||During the preparatory phase, it is necessary to correct the edges of the damage in the plasterboard wall so that they take the correct geometric parameters. Depending on the nature of the damage choose the shape of a rectangle or square.|
|Step 2||On the surface of the wall using a pencil to draw the boundaries of the future hole. Trim off the excess material.|
|Step 3||From a sheet of plasterboard cut a piece of the same shape and size as the resulting hole. The element should be easily inserted into the hole with a minimum thickness of gaps around the perimeter.|
|Step 4||It is then necessary to make a tab to which the new wall element will be attached. You can do this as shown at
The hole around the tubes
When replacing pipes. removing the old and laying new ones, through holes of impressive size are formed in the wall. They do not look aesthetically pleasing, they reduce noise isolation in adjoining rooms, and if they border a neighbor’s apartment, they reduce privacy. Therefore, it is necessary to seal such holes. But if we are talking about heating pipes, it is necessary to take into account some nuances.
Do not fill the hole immediately with cement-sand mortar, fixing the pipes rigidly. This will cause them to lose their ability to move during thermal expansion. Tough metal pipes will start to destroy the mortar from the inside, and soon it will be necessary to re-caulk the hole. In this case the pipes will be damaged and their corrosion protection and service life will be reduced.
Sounds, smells, and even insects can enter through the hole
The choice of material (kapron or polyethylene foam) is associated with its neutrality. These materials are not afraid of mechanical stress, do not rot, do not burn, not afraid of moisture and high temperatures.
Lining pipes with polyethylene foam
For further sealing of the hole, use an ordinary cement-sand mixture, which includes one part of cement and three parts of sand. For internal works, construction gypsum is chosen. If the hole is large, then it is pre-filled with stone, chipped bricks, foam plastic and other material not subject to rotting.
To dilute gypsum it is recommended to use an unnecessary container of plastic, after work it is easier to throw away than to clean it from the hardened alabaster. When diluting it is not necessary to strictly observe the ratio of powder and water, the main thing is to get the necessary consistency. the solution must easily fill the hole and at the same time not leak.
Small holes in the wall remain after the fasteners. nails, screws. They are found during repairs and require mandatory sealing in the process of alignment and preparation of the walls for wallpapering or painting.
Before applying putty, the hole inside should be moistened with water from an atomizer to improve adhesion
When caulking such a hole, debris, dust, and remaining fasteners (or a fragment of them) must be removed from the hole. Otherwise, the putty in the hole will not hold because of poor adhesion to its inner surface.
Tip! If a plastic dowel remains in the hole, it can be removed with a self-tapping screw. It is screwed in so that it is tightly held inside the dowel, and then start swinging to pull it out. Use pliers to hold the head of the self-drilling screw.
Then the hole is cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and filled with putty, pre-wetting the interior with water from a sprayer.
Sealing the hole from the socket
During cosmetic repairs, it is often necessary to move the sockets to a new location. After their removal there are holes which are filled with a cement or gypsum based mortar. However, if the hole is large, over time, the putty will crack.
The socket hole is often connected to the neighbor’s apartment
If the width of the hole is more than 50 mm it is recommended to fill it with a large object. a stone or foam plastic, so that there is as little space as possible around. Put the repair compound in the voids. Step by step, the process looks as follows:
Hole in the wallpaper: how to disguise
A common defect. a hole from the fasteners on the wallpaper. Small holes remain after the removal of a shelf or hinged cabinet, hanger, hook, bracket. A piece of wallpaper can be used to mask the hole. The main thing is to “fit” the pattern.
Another option. stickers, which can be used to create decorative compositions.
Holes from fasteners in the wallpapered wall is easy to disguise with a patch
When choosing a sticker, take into account the size of the hole it should cover, the stylistics of the interior, the purpose of the room (living room, nursery, kitchen) and the color scheme of the walls. It is better to buy self-adhesive products. The process of masking holes with the help of stickers is as follows:
After the mortar has dried, finish plaster is applied, and the surface is smoothed with emery paper.
If for some reason you do not have access to the opposite side of the wall, then the problem can be solved as follows: