How to remove the bobbin from a grass trimmer. Replacement instructions – how to insert the trimmer line
Repair the grass trimmer spool with your own hands
In this article, we will describe in detail the procedure of how to remove the grass trimmer spool. The step-by-step instructions with the attached video will help a beginner and an experienced user to remove the element of the system and clean it or replace it with a new one on their own. Before you remove the grass trimmer bobbin, it is imperative to shut it off. for gasoline models or turn off the power. for electric trimmers. We will demonstrate one traditional dismantling scheme, but in different models of trimmers the way of attaching the bobbin to the tool may differ. With your own hands you can not only remove the old model of the reel, but also change it for a new one, if the need arises. So, step by step scenario:
- Disconnect the tool from the mains or switch off the engine (for chain saws).
- Carefully remove the spool cap that holds the coil spring in place.
- Press down on the catches positioned symmetrically on both sides with one hand and gently pull off the cover with the other.
- Look for the hole in the gearbox cover on the side or on the top and align it with the hole in the hub.
- Using a hexagonal key or a metal rod it is pushed through the gear hole, preventing possible rotation of the shaft.
- We remove the mowing bobbin, on which the line for the trimmer is wound.
- At the bottom you will see a slightly recessed screw. It can be unscrewed with a Phillips-head or slotted screwdriver.
- Hold the mowing head body with one hand and unscrew the screw with the other hand counterclockwise.
- Slightly pivot the mowing head off. Even if it is a little bit stuck, gently apply more force and with the same rocking. remove it. Often the movement is made by the hand of the clock, but there are also spools that are unscrewed in the other direction.
- Assembly takes place in the opposite sequence.
To carry out the removal of the bobbin is necessary in cases of its damage, winding the line (which is undesirable and indicates an illiterate selection of tackle), as well as when you need to wind a new cord on a new spool or replace the cutting tackle. Buy a reel for the grass trimmer you will always inexpensive offer store “KosiKosa”.
How to choose a line for a trimmer. length, diameter, limitations
You can use lines from different manufacturers for any electric or gasoline grass trimmer. Nevertheless, the best option is still the consumable material of the same brand as the tool. It is believed that in this case it will benefit the longevity of work and even reduce consumption.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line for trimmer for grass or metal cables. This replacement is inefficient and dangerous. The line can injure not only the mower himself, but also those around him.
When it comes to length, it’s worth taking into account how often you anticipate using your trimmer for the grass. The more often, the more you should stock up on consumables. Information about the possible diameter of the fishing line can be found on the body of the grass trimmer spool. Chances are there will be a range indicated. Thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the peculiarities of the area to be processed. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel, it must be removed from there. The reel or tip is a device that is inside the mowing head, reel or drum. Heads come in different types (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of changing the line on the reel is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!You can perform the change directly on the tool, but if you’re doing it for the first time, it’s still recommended to remove the head and learn the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on the trimmer trimmer or gasoline mower. The instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
Turn the tool upside down and clean it if necessary. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) with two fingers of one hand, which are positioned symmetrically to each other. After gently pressing them inside, remove the protective cover from the drum
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the whole head, if you know how to replace. When disassembling, take into account the following nuances:
- It is advisable to periodically remove the head to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it will be difficult and sometimes even impossible to do so if necessary
- If a screw has a square drive head, you should use a screwdriver or suitable size drill bit to remove it in order to prevent the facets on the drive head from slipping
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on a screw have slipped off, you can use special clamping tongs to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require disassembly. To disassemble them, take hold of it, and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Changing the line on a trimmer
If the button lightly striking the grass trimmer reel on the ground, the line for the trimmer is not extended, the causes of this happen the following.
Variant 1. the jamming came out, t.е. Clamping the cord between coils. This problem usually occurs if the user has wound the line on the spool unevenly, with crossed turns, or spooled it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when rotating the mowing head at high revolutions, under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which you intertwist the fishing line. To correct the problem you will need to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, with even turns with a good tension.
Variant 2.7. very short ends protrude from the head. The line for the trimmer may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (not long). Here, the centrifugal force is not enough for a trimmer line to stretch. Because it is required to suspend the unit (to shut off the engine as it is also called to disconnect trimmer elektrichesky for grass from the network) and pull the line for a trimmer manually, having earlier pressed the button.
Option 3. line trimmer soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the spool to freeze and does not even spin when the button is pressed. In the main, this occurs for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating the coil during prolonged operation of the unit, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- In the beginning, the cord is made of low-quality, low-melting materials that can not withstand the mechanical and thermal loads. That’s why you should give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- If you did get the line for the trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered in its time of operation, then there is an option to follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord in the coil lubricate it or silicone grease (from a spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of welding together the coils of the line.
- Also, the line for the trimmer may meld if, during mowing, it bumps into a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.).д.). Once it has finished, it stretches a little and retracts back into the head at high speed. Friction causes the line to warm and the coils to stick together. The only thing to do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the trimmer line.
String mowing head. this is one of the executing mechanisms of the garden trimmer for grass. It is designed for mowing grass and represents a special spool (bobbin) of which the cutting cord (string, line for trimmer) sticks out in different directions. The string is a consumable item that must be replaced in use. Based on the design and operational features of the grass trimmer, manufacturers equip their products with the most diverse types of heads. from simple hand reels to complex automatic reels. The more complex the device of this mechanism, the more likely it is to break. What to do if the spool does not spin, the string does not feed or breaks, as well as other malfunctions. in the material below.
Automatic line winding on spool
There is a kind of spool, in which the automatic mechanism produces winding without the aid of others. from the user only need to correctly tuck in the line for the trimmer. How to tuck line into a grass trimmer reel? Annotation. How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer? How to wind the line for trimmer in order to tuck the line for trimmer. Trimmer lines are fed through the hole on the inside of the trimmer body, its tendrils are fed through the hole on the outside of the body without winding, the bobbin is assembled, and by rotating the winding button inside the trimmer lines are wound without help of others. In such a bobbin, it is unreal to do the winding incorrectly: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, because it can only spin in one direction.
Guaranteed factory refill grass trimmer
Inevitably needs a line change. Having a very rough idea of how to tuck the line trimmer in the reel trimmer for grass without the help of others, newcomers without a hunt to take up this matter. But with some ability to learn this simple art is not a problem at all, and similar tutorial below will make the process easier.
Grass trimmer spool device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in different designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows a semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is found on most STIHL, Patriot, Champion, Bosch, Huter, and other gasoline-powered mowers and electric trimmers. Mowing head design is simple enough. It includes the following parts:
- the base of the mowing head;
- Button for semi-automatic filament feeding;
- bobbin (spool), in which the line for the trimmer is threaded;
- eyelets. through them the line for the trimmer comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- trimmer line (cord).
The structure of the trimmer head
Semi-automatic trimmer heads are considered the most popular on the Russian market. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is a universal semi-automatic mowing head, which is equipped with electric grass trimmers and lawn mowers of such famous brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. Its device is shown in the figure.
- body (pos.6) with a cover (pos.1) equipped with special eyelets (pos.5), through which the cutting cord is led to the outside;
- bobbin (pos.3), on which the line for the trimmer is wound (pos.7);
- Pressing spring (pos. 4).
There are also other, simpler mowing heads.
Making a reel yourself
Grass trimmer is often used in remote places, where you can buy spare parts for the mowing head when it breaks. In this case, instead of a broken mechanism you can install a simple design coil made by your own hands. You will need a sheet of plywood (textolite, metal, etc.) for this.), eyelets, screws or screws. The process involves several steps.
- From a plywood sheet cut a disk with a diameter corresponding to the failed bobbin.
- A hole is drilled in the center of the disc, matching the diameter of the grass trimmer shaft.
- On the opposite sides of the disk are mounted small eyelets, which will serve for threading the line.
- Through the eyelets pass the line for the trimmer and fix it with the usual screws or screws. The coil is ready to work.
Important! It should be remembered that it will not be possible to screw or unscrew the nut without rigid fixation of the shaft.
To change the line on a homemade reel you will have to release the fixing screws, insert a new piece of string and re-tighten the fasteners. It is not necessary to remove the spool from the shaft of the grass trimmer in this case, but it is necessary to exclude the possibility of spontaneous start of the motor.
So, above were a step by step with pictures described methods of repair string head. As you can see, the process is not complicated. And most breakdowns are directly related to sloppy stringing and poor quality. You can see all the steps of the process visually in the video.
Replace the line for your trimmer with a disk or knife
When trimming the garden, park areas and other places where you need to mow different types of plants, you often have to change the cutting tool in the trimmer. This is due to the fact that the standard cord installed in the mower head can only work with grass. But when a bush or young tree sprout appears on the path of the worker, the line for the trimmer does not cope with this task and must be replaced with a more effective cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen similar situations and have supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs similar to circular saws.
If you replace the line for the trimmer with a knife for several “petals”, this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the trimmer line on the disc, the user is able to trim bushes or small trees.
Blades and wheels are installed according to the following algorithm.
- First remove it, fixing the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the nut with the shoe, if the machine has not yet been used.
- Install the saw or cutting blade so that they are positioned on a small ledge (hub).
READ Grass trimmer gear lubrication STIHL Fs 55
- Place the mounting cap on the blade and screw the nut to the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten the nut (counterclockwise) using a pipe wrench.
You can watch this video to get a better understanding of the tool change.