How to remove the chuck from a Hitachi electric screwdriver
How to disassemble the chuck on the electric screwdriver. detailed instructions
An electric screwdriver is a tool that is often used in the home. The device consists of different parts that have to be removed and replaced as needed. The question of how to remove the chuck from an electric screwdriver, is quite relevant, especially for those who often use it.
Screwdriver manufacturers produce different screwdriver models that differ in design
For different types of screwdrivers there are different chucks by design. There are two main varieties:
- Jawed. In this case, the bits are locked in place with an L-key that is placed perpendicular to the screwdriver.
- Quick-clamping. In such a design, to fixation it is required to hold one of the cylinders by hand, and the second to rotate around its axis.
Experts consider cam parts not too convenient, but the elements are more reliable in use. when the wrench is rotated, a special sleeve moves the cams of steel until they close.
There are different ways to remove the cartridge from the product
Quick-action chucks do not require a wrench. This variety is divided into two variants:
- Single-coupling. One hand is sufficient to insert the bit, because the other part is clamped automatically.
- Double-coupling. Both parts of the element are movable, so when inserting one, it is necessary to hold it with the hand to avoid movement.
The first option is used only on products with locking mechanisms. Metal or plastic are used for manufacturing.
Note! Less secure, but easier to use because they are lighter.
Design and main types of cartridges
The chuck or head is the metal cylinder that attaches to the shaft of an electric screwdriver. Its task is to securely fix the working bits under the fasteners. The chuck is fixed on the shaft with a thread or a special cone. Clamping elements are divided by the type of attachment:
The only difference between the first two types is the way the bit is clamped. The quick-action chuck twists the shank and clamps it by hand. The modern drill bits and screwdrivers use clamps for clamping bits with a shank diameter of 0.8 mm to 25 mm.
The L-shaped wrench is made up of these parts:
There are two kinds of socket bits: socket bits and double-socket bits. The first type is used in screwdrivers with a locking mechanism. Thanks to the L-key, the drive unit can be driven with one hand, because the other part of the chuck is held in place. With double-clutch cylinders both hands are used.
The bit and drill bit in the self-clamping sleeve are automatically clamped during twisting. There is almost no risk of twisting the drill bit with this electric screwdriver. The device makes a clicking sound when the jaws are loosened and clamped.
The cam chuck cannot be tightened manually. an L-key is needed. It is inserted into the slot perpendicularly. The gear-ring type, i.e. the gear-ring chuck, is considered less convenient to install, but gives a more secure grip on the bit. This is a type of cam-type clamping cylinder. This type of chuck has three basic elements, a cylindrical body, a rotating outer ring, and an inner cam mechanism. Made from solid steel, the mechanism is made up of 3 cams that lock into place when the ring is turned.
options for attaching to the shaft of an electric screwdriver
The chuck is attached to the tool shaft by means of:
- threads. To do this, the cylinder and shaft must have the same threads. The metal cylinder is screwed on the shaft.
- fixing screw. The fixing screw also needs to be tightened, and the screw itself only increases the contact between the chuck shell and the shaft. It has notches for a Phillips screwdriver and a left-hand thread.
- Morse taper. One of the oldest ways to attach. The shaft of an electric screwdriver has a tapered shape and inside the sleeve is a slot. When the outer and inner taper meet, the head sits securely on the shaft.
The takeaways from the well-known models
There are so many different models of screwdrivers on sale, which are produced from under the wings of numerous companies. Many of them customers have never even heard of. But there are some models that are always on the radar. To understand for sure how you can make a chuck removal, you should study examples of removal of this part on the most famous brands of screwdriver.
By typing in the appropriate query on the Internet, you can see the result, where the phrase is sure to be written: how to remove the chuck from a Makita screwdriver. And this is quite understandable, because the brand is very famous, and therefore it is worth considering.
In most cases, Makita makes such screwdrivers, which are equipped with a threaded mount. It also has an auxiliary fixation in the form of a screw that has a left-hand thread. To disassemble such a device, it is necessary to adhere to certain actions.
First unscrew the locking screw clockwise. After that you need to press the spindle stop button. It is necessary to wrap the body with a very thick cloth, and then squeeze in a vise. A cloth is required in order not to damage the elements of the design. In the cams you should clench the hexagon, hit with a hammer on the free plane of the wrench, and then unscrew the chuck and remove it from the shaft.
This method should certainly help. The thing is that Makita screwdrivers are made according to the same technology, and therefore the instructions for disassembly are universal.
Those people who are wondering how to remove the chuck from a Bosch screwdriver, it is necessary to learn that a fixing screw is installed on such a machine. That’s why all actions with the product of this company should be made in a certain sequence:
The wrench must be placed in the cams of the Bosch machine, and then tighten until a few clicks are heard. Place the tool on the edge of the table. It is necessary to press the stop button and then remove the latch, which is located on the shaft. The cartridge must be unscrewed counterclockwise.
It is worth noting that when disassembling the equipment it is necessary to be very attentive and to follow a certain sequence. Reassemble in the reverse order. It is important not to forget to put all the parts back.
Theoretical knowledge about the disassembly of the mechanism on two machines should give you sufficient skills to repair other types of screwdrivers with your own hands, for example, Hitachi Metabo (Metabo), Zubr. The question of how to remove the chuck from the screwdriver Interskol, too, should fall away, as well as no problems should arise with other manufacturers.
How to remove and change the chuck
If you are faced with replacing a chuck, initially, you should figure out how to attach it. To carry out the procedure with a minimum of effort, experts do not recommend overloading the electric screwdriver in everyday use. If you work with the tool continuously for fifteen minutes, the rotating parts can overheat and become firmly jammed in the socket. Then it will be more difficult to replace. Experts recommend the proven chuck removal methods described below:
- Unscrew the threaded fastener by means of an L-shaped hexagon, which surely can be found at each owner. Next, you must insert the hexagon (size. 10 mm) put the short edge into the chuck and squeeze tightly in the cams. Then start and momentarily turn off the device at low speed so that the free edge lightly strikes the table, so the threads will loosen and you can unscrew the chuck.
- If the cartridge is threaded with a locking screw, then:
- Unscrew the left-hand threaded screw in a clockwise direction.
- Then insert the hexagon in the cams, and with a quick movement of the hand or hammer turn the free edge counterclockwise. The chuck can now be unscrewed.
- If both methods do not work:
- Take out of the open housing the shaft on which the gearbox and the chuck are located. In order to remove the chuck you need a pipe wrench.
- To remove and change the Morse taper chuck you need a hammer to loosen the drive shank from the socket.
Block: 4/6 | Number of characters: 1515
How to choose a new chuck
The chuck for an electric screwdriver is chosen based on a number of aspects. When selecting the right part, you should follow these guidelines:
- if you have to change bits frequently, you might want to use a quick-change chuck or self-clamping chuck; otherwise the work will be slower;
- toothed-ring design is the choice of those who seek maximum reliability of the chuck; if 100% fixation of the bit is a priority, it is better to buy a key chuck;
- when selecting a part, its characteristics must be taken into account; the parameters are governed by the corresponding state standards; the bigger the taper, the bigger the number, by which it is marked;
- It is necessary to take into account the country of manufacture. the alphanumeric designations of foreign models differ from domestic ones.
If it is difficult to independently determine the type of “clamp”, it is better to consult with a specialist.
The wrong choice is tantamount to at least the tool not working properly.
In the worst case, it does not only mean that you have to spend more money for a new cylinder but also that you have to replace the entire electric screwdriver.
Chuck removal: Makita electric screwdriver
Makita brand power tools are generally equipped with a threaded mount with an auxiliary locking feature via a left-hand threaded screw.
- Unscrew the fixing screw (clockwise).
- Press the spindle stop button.
- Wrap a thick cloth around the body and squeeze in a vise.
- A hexagon is clenched in the cams.
- By hitting with a hammer on the free plane of the wrench, the chuck is twisted and then removed from the shaft.
Features of removal of cartridges
The chuck can completely fall apart, becoming unusable. the jaws in it are not able to do their job, it is impossible to clamp the drill bit. or it starts to backlash. The unsteadiness of the element does not allow you to hold the bit tightly. Drills are constantly flying out when working.
The chuck has a thread cut inside or a special cone for attaching to the shaft. Structurally, the element is divided into three types:
The quick-action chucks are considered the most popular: the tail is clamped by manually rotating the sleeve of an electric screwdriver. The main difference between the types is that in one case, the chucks are fixed by hand, in the other. you can not do without a wrench. Manual clamps save a lot of time, because the user does not have to select a wrench. The main purpose of the chuck is to ensure tight contact between the working bit and the rest of the mechanical parts of the tool. The key type copes with this better, so it is considered more reliable.
The design does not include the twist lock function when tightening the chuck. the bit is not as securely clamped in the chuck, unlike the self-clamping type. A quick-clamp chuck consists of:
The quick-clamp type is divided into two other types:
If the user buys the first type, then in the box with the screwdriver should be a special locking device. it allows you to change the tooling without turning the chuck. Double-clamp types allow the bit to be inserted without additional devices, which is more convenient if you frequently need to change drill bits. The tooling is removed by locking one chuck ring by hand and twisting the other.
This type is noticeably different from the quick-clamp type. It’s all about an interesting feature that allows you to additionally clamp the bit while cranking the electric screwdriver. You can distinguish between the self-clamping and quick-clamping types by the characteristic click when relaxing or tightening the jaws.
How to change?
Now that we have removed the chuck, we can change it. However, the replacement of the chuck should be carried out taking into account the recommendations of experts. For example, it is necessary to change the chuck so as to take into account the power of the device.
Read also: Handles for files gost
In addition, if you change bits quite often, it is better to use quick-change variants, which are quite easy to pull out, which will seriously speed up the work. You can also choose a key chuck. But this should be done only if the diameter of bits or drills is large.
If you have chosen a tapered version, you should take into account its characteristics, which according to GOST are denoted by markings from B7 to B45. If the cartridge is made abroad, the marking will be different. It is usually marked in inches.
It should be said that different chucks for an electric screwdriver differ from each other by thread, shape, purpose and appearance. They are all made and steel.
If it is difficult to decide on the type of clamping, it is better to ask an expert. Otherwise the operation of the device may be unreliable and incorrect.