How to replace the carburetor on a Champion brand chain saw
Champion 142 chainsaw repair with your own hands
Chainsaw is an indispensable assistant in the household of most men, as a villager and cottager. The tool has become so commonplace that its failure dramatically complicates the work, for example, in construction or repair. Most malfunctions in the work of the chainsaw arise from the wear and tear of mechanisms in the course of intensive use or lack of proper care. Schemes of household or semi-professional saws are simple, so you can change parts or do preventive maintenance of the tool by yourself. You will need a diagram and a tool kit.
Repair with your own hands
You can have your Champion 137 repaired by an authorized service center or you can do it yourself. Typical malfunctions of this model are as follows:
- Lack of spark;
- Fuel supply interruption;
- carburetor malfunctions (clogs, defects in the injector valve, defects in the main chamber membranes and the fuel pump);
- air leaking into the crankcase through the gasket or oil seals;
- depressurization of the carburetor.
With some experience, you can diagnose and repair the problem yourself.
If the chainsaw for some reason does not hold or rpm at idle, it is the first sign of air suction in the crankcase or carburetor. You can’t operate the saw if it’s malfunctioning, because there is no spark. к. overheating and engine seizure will follow.
How to Disassemble a Champion 137
In order to disassemble the Champion 137 yourself, you only need to know two basic rules:
- Handwheel and clutch are unscrewed as the chainsaw moves.
- In order to block the crankshaft from turning, you need to use a special corkscrew or string with knots tied on it, which is installed through the spark plug hole and blocks the piston stroke.
Parts of the chainsaw are removed in the following order;
When reassembling it is necessary to follow the reverse sequence.
The crankcase of the Champion 137 chainsaw must be installed on red sealant, no other sealant should be used.
If the carburetor gaskets and spacers were damaged when disassembling the Champion 137 chain saw, they must be replaced when reassembling, otherwise the saw will suck air and all repairs will be in vain.
To check the crankshaft oil seals for air drainage in the absence of a special tool, you can use the following technique.
Remove the handwheel, clutch and carburettor from the chainsaw, then pour kerosene into the engine crankcase with a syringe (if there is no kerosene, you can use a fuel mixture) and visually check the oil seals for leaks. If there are leaks, then the oil seals are defective and need to be replaced.
The base of the Champion 137 is a 37,2 cm3, 2-stroke gasoline engine.The internal walls of the engine are evenly coated with chrome, protecting the mechanism from corrosion. A manual starter is included for starting the engine and a forced-air system is included for engine cooling. Manual fuel pump for safe cold starts.
For the preparation of the fuel mixture in the device of the model includes a reliable carburetor. To clean the air the unit is equipped with a long-life filter. Free access to it lets you replace a worn filter element with a new one. Ignition is accomplished by electronic ignition and a Champion RCJ6Y spark plug, and torque transmission by the clutch.
Throttle switch, ignition on/off button, and throttle lever are included for operating the Champion 137. All components are installed in the rear of the saw, close to the operator’s hands. Champion 137 also has a cable handle with starter rope in the same area.
To protect the operator from accidental injury, the Champion 137 is equipped with a right hand guard and inertia chain brake. A separate lever is used to engage and disengage the saw.
All of the chainsaw’s internal parts and mechanisms are housed in a rugged plastic casing that protects them from damage. Easy access to spark plug, air filter, and other consumables for easy servicing and repair.
The main advantage of the Champion 137 chainsaw is its decent technical parameters. They include:
- capacity. 2,1 liters. с.;
- idle speed of 3,000 rpm;
- Fuel tank capacity. 310 ml;
- The oil tank capacity is 210 ml;
- the recommended tire length is 35-45 cm;
- chain pitch. 3/8 ;
- 5 kg weight.
The Champion 137 chain saw has a low noise level when working. Its maximum threshold is 106 dB. The model also has a small footprint. The length of the tool is 38 cm, width. 24 cm, and height. 28 cm.
Champion chainsaws: an overview of the range. Instruction manual. Carburetor adjustment
Most modern chainsaws are equipped with almost identical carburetors. They practically do not differ from each other, and work on a similar principle. The only difference between the chambers from different manufacturers is in the material from which they are made. In expensive American, Swedish and German chainsaws the chambers are made of reliable alloys on which protective coatings are applied. Cheap Chinese and Korean chainsaws are equipped with nodes made of cheap materials.
Each carburetor consists of the following elements:
- aluminum body with a one-piece design. Inside the housing there is an inlet fitting, the main screw, the impulse channel, and a bolt for adjusting the engine when idling;
- Throttle valve. it is responsible for adjusting the amount of air required to enrich the fuel mixture;
- diffuser. located near the chamber inlet;
- atomizer. designed to supply the fuel mixture directly into the carburetor chamber;
- Float chamber. there is a float in the chamber, which activates in case of insufficient quantity of fuel;
- Nozzles. these are the valves that are responsible for adjusting the amounts of fuel.
This scheme of the chainsaw carburetor is as simple and effective as possible. In some models of garden tools, it can be supplemented with additional spigots, glands or filters.
The principle of operation of a chainsaw carburetor is quite simple. When the engine is started, the air damper at the bottom of the housing opens. At the same time in the float and air chambers, a vacuum caused by the movement of the piston. As a result, the regular diffuser is triggered, which begins to suck air. The amount of air taken in depends on the degree of opening of the choke. When the piston is actuated, fuel begins to flow into the chamber through the inlet connection. Its amount and flow rate depend on the position of the jets.
Subsequently, the fuel in the air chamber begins to mix with the air. The finished air-fuel mixture then passes through the intake valves, from where it is sent to the combustion chamber of the saw engine.
Champion 241 chainsaw. model features
What sets this semi-professional chainsaw apart from market competitors is its improved safety, cutting quality, and clever design. When designing the model, the manufacturer managed to combine a fairly high power and efficiency.
The Champion 241 chainsaw is equipped with a sturdy metal sump that protects the motor from hitting the bottom of it. Crankcase has an extra hole to improve ventilation of the power unit when working under high loads.
Parameters of this Champion brand modification include:
The chainsaw is equipped with a mechanical inertia brake, which is actuated by shifting a separate lever.
Champion 137 chainsaw features
Thanks to the powerful and rugged regular engine, the Champion 137 model chain saw has solid factory parameters.
- Engine output 1.4 kW/2 litres. с.;
- crankshaft rotation speed at idle/maximum rpm. 3000/13000 rpm;
- The manufacturer’s recommended length of the bar is 35-40 cm;
- the pitch of the chain used for sawing. 3/8 ;
- ready-to-use weight. 4,5 kg.
Champion chain saw comes with a redesigned muffler that reduces the operator’s exposure to noise. At maximum engine speed, this model operates at 100dB.
Instruction manual and manual for Champion 254-18 in Russian
All chainsaw instruction manuals are available on the company’s official website. Models of one series slightly differ in conditions of use, as a rule, this parameter is standard for all chainsaws. At the same time, the manufacturer can make some changes in the manual. That is why, before and during the purchase of Champion products, it is necessary to review the specifications and operating instructions.
All chainsaws of this brand come with standard safety and usage instructions. In addition, in the last pages of the manual, the manufacturer places a table indicating the frequency and rules of maintenance. In some models, these tables are the same.
- To use your chain saw, read the instructions and be briefed (for new users) by a qualified chainsaw technician.
- You should pay special attention to assembly and adjustment of the saw. You should always follow the instructions in the manual. Before use, check that all parts are secure, and that the saw is operating correctly.
Note! At this stage, the carburetor may be adjusted. The chainsaw carburetor is usually adjusted at the factory. Some models may be poorly balanced and require additional adjustment. Adjustment is carried out by a service center, but with experience you can do it yourself.
- Handle the tool with care. Do not put the saw on the ground with the engine running. If you leave the equipment on for an extended period of time, you must drain the fuel and oil.
- When selecting which oil to use, you should take note of the manufacturer’s recommendations. The lubricant to be used is usually Champion two-stroke oil and AI 95 or 92 gasoline.
- If you use the saw infrequently, the optimal interval for changing the fuel is every 3 to 4 weeks.
- Prolonged work can lead to overheating or failure of the engine and components. After every 30 to 40 or sometimes 50 minutes of operation (depending on the model), it is advisable to stop work and let the engine cool down. In more powerful models this time is combined with refueling.
- Particular attention should be paid to your own safety. Dense and tough clothes, gloves, ear protectors and goggles will help to avoid possible injuries.
Note! Bouncing often occurs when working with Champion chain saws, the tire sometimes soaks into the wood. One way to improve the situation and keep the user safe is to install a metal stop.
Champion saw quick carburetor adjustment.
- Proper maintenance is important for extending the life of your Champion chain saw.
- Store and transport your chainsaw according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Store in a dry place, and transport with fuel and oil drained in a protective cover.
READ Setting the ignition on a Ural chainsaw
For other features and tips, see the instruction manual of the model of your choice.
When choosing a chainsaw of domestic production it is necessary to pay attention to Champion 241-16. This model is one of the top models and is still supplied to the domestic market of garden equipment. On the basis of this saw was created Champion 242. The chainsaw is not more expensive than 6-7 thsd. At the same time, the saw has excellent anti-vibration and safety characteristics. Often used by employees of utilities, but still, its main purpose is to be used for domestic purposes.
Adjusting the carburetor
If after purchase the saw does not operate normally, or stops frequently, or does not start at all, it may be because the carburetor is not properly adjusted. The manufacturer does not recommend to perform this task by yourself. If you follow the instructions of the specialists, you can adjust the carburettor yourself. A video on how to perform this task is presented below.
What to flush the carburetor of a chainsaw?
To clean the node from heavy dirt, it is best to use a product that comes on sale in pressurized cylinders. The cleaner comes with a dispenser and a long thin tube that allows you to spray in any hard-to-reach places.
It must be remembered that cleaning the carburetor on a chainsaw is performed using flammable chemicals. They should be operated with a special protective mask and only in well-ventilated areas.
How to Fix a Chainsaw Carburetor
To clean the carburetor on a chainsaw, the assembly will need to be partially disassembled. Throttle, adjusting screws, body and other carburetor parts will need to be washed with a tool from a canister and set aside until completely dry. Once all the elements are dry, the assembly can be assembled and installed back on the chainsaw.
How to adjust the carburetor on the Champion chainsaw?
As a rule of thumb, a Champion chain saw doesn’t need frequent carburetor adjustments. The main thing is to follow the rules of “cold” starting the tool and use quality engine oil for its filling.