How to sharpen a chain saw chain in a new way
Promotional offer: Free seasonal training
In just a few days we will start working in gardens, homesteads and small farms. And someone may have already started preparing their grounds for the arrival of real spring. If you have a STIHL machine in your fleet. saws, grass cutters for grass, blowers. Check your equipment and make sure it is ready for an intensive period of use. There may be a problem. If so, we can do it for free or at a low price.
What kind of service we offer?
- Filter Control / Free Changing / Filter Replacement A certain amount of clean air is essential for the proper operation of an engine, and the filter is responsible for this. That’s why it’s imperative that the filter is always clean and intact.
- Cylinder cleaning. Only clean cylinder fins can guarantee proper engine cooling and operating temperature.
- Checking muffler clamping. Only a properly fitting muffler is worthy of being used for a long time and will reliably fulfill its primary function.
- Check spark plugs. Good fuel combustion. It is not only the engine itself that works properly, but also the entire machine. And this to a large extent depends on a properly selected and properly working spark plug.
- Checking cutting attachments and chain/blade sharpening. Every cutting or sawing attachment should be checked and sharpened regularly to ensure excellent cutting performance and a high level of productivity as well as optimum utilisation of all components including the engine.
- Checking the controls. Only serviceable STIHL controls let you do your jobs safely and easily.
- Grass saw/grasshopper start-up and speed control. If you want to be completely satisfied with the cutting or mowing process and its results, take care of the correct settings of your equipment.
- Filling the oil tank for saws. To increase performance and prolong the life of your machine, we recommend that you only use original STIHL chain oil.
- Valve gap check and adjustment for 4MIX. Only a regular check and tune-up of the valves will reduce the damage caused by exhaust fumes, guarantee the engine operation during the whole estimated life time and ensure the required power and fuel consumption figures.
- Checking/lubricating the gearbox for mowers. Regular and correct element lubrication. Lifetime warranty for the machine.
Promotional Terms and Conditions:
Free filter change on STIHL MS 180 chain saws.
A second chain sharpening for the same STIHL chain saw is only 50
We have expanded our range of machines for servicing and added the BR, BG and SH-Series blowers to the previous list.
The main types of chains
The main and basic parameter when dividing. is the chain pitch. The pitch is the distance between the links of the teeth, which is measured in inches. It is calculated according to the size of the drive and idler sprocket.
Note that the larger the file diameter, the larger the pitch. Basic pitch values, which are followed by the leading companies in the world:
- ⅜ “picco”. very popular, used mainly for soft wood. A round file up to 4mm in diameter is used for sharpening;
- 0.325 in. it is used in both domestic and professional saws with a power output of 3.5 liters and more.с. 4.8 mm file for sharpening;
- 0,375 (⅜). only used in expensive professional saws. A 5.2 mm file is best for sharpening;
- 0,404. While the previous 0.375 pitch was used for expensive saws, this is only for professional sawing equipment. A sharpening file will fit. 5,5 mm.
Types and differences of chains
Among the characteristics by which chains for saws are differentiated, we can distinguish two main ones:
If you look at the outside of the depth stop, you can see the pitch. It indicates the distance between adjacent links. This value is always given in inches. The pitch of the chain will influence the choice of file for sharpening:
- 3/8″ is a common size found on many gasoline and electric saws. For sharpening such a chain you need a 4 mm file. Chains with this pitch are mostly used for work with soft wood.
- 0.325″. used on both residential and professional class saws. An engine with at least 3.5 horsepower can handle such a saw. The file diameter for sharpening should be 4.8 mm.
- 0,375″. Capable of handling thick logs. To sharpen such a chain you need a file with a diameter of 5.2 mm.
- 0,404″. are installed only on powerful gasoline or electric tools of professional class. The recommended file diameter is at least 5.5 mm.
- Low Profile. Such saws have teeth up to 0.025″ high. Such chains are installed on low-powered saws or semi-professional class tools.
- High Profile. Tooth height of these saws is 0.03″. These are often powerful tools for professional use.
Chainsaw chain sharpening
Cutting firewood or making repairs in the countryside without a chainsaw with a well-sharpened chain is very difficult. After all, household chores require not only effort, but also serviceable tools. When a chain saw chain sharpening or a sharpened tool is used you will get many years of reliable service. Professional woodcutters know this firsthand because sharp chains are essential for good cutting performance.
Pay attention to the performance of your power tool. Can you feel any vibration?? Has the cutting speed dropped?? Look at the shavings, when working properly, they will have a homogeneous nature, and the sawdust. a square shape. If you see these symptoms, or if you don’t have the right tension (the chain is stretched), it is time to sharpen your saw chain. In such a situation, the House of Domestic Services “5 minutes” will be happy to offer you their services.
Attention: a blunt chain-saw is not recommended to work, because it can get blunt and vague.к. it leads to an increased engine wear and tear, and as a result there is a higher risk of damaging your valuable tool.
It should be noted that, at first glance, this procedure may seem simple, but in fact it is not, and it is better not to take risks, and trust its professionals.
We are available for both amateurs and professionals. All because our masters know their job like no one else and know how to work with this type of tool, and our workshops are equipped with modern machines. All this allowed us to gain the trust of hundreds of customers. Join in, too!
How to Sharpen a Chainsaw by hand with a file
The chain can be sharpened in your presence and takes very little time.
Our office is literally two minutes from the metro station Sennaya Ploshchad, and uninterrupted schedule makes it convenient to visit us at any time.
- We work from 9-20 hours. No lunch and no days off
- Technical support by phone 7 (911)224-87-43.
- Address: metro station Sennaya Ploshchadskaya str. Efimova house 1
- We are in contact https://vk.com/dom_byta_5_minut.
Sharpening chainsaw chains in our workshop will cost you only 150 for 1 pc.!
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain with your hands
Blunt chain saw chain. it is not only impossible or unproductive work, but also a great danger to the user. There is no way to get normal sawing, and the risk of injury is just enormous. You either need to change the chain (which will cost you a lot) or sharpen it.
Sharpen get a few times cheaper, and if their own hands are even free. For those who are not very familiar with machinery, I suggest the best way out is to take the tool to a professional for sharpening. I mean, to a sharpening shop. It’s simple and straightforward, but you have to spend a lot of money. But paying money to a professional sharpener is only part of the problem. The thing is that if you work hard, the saw blunts very quickly. For example, if you saw wet wood the whole day, and even catch the ground or sand. a chain gets blunt in a jiffy. The main problem arises, long breaks in work.
So today I want to share my knowledge with those who are at least a little bit able to handle sharpening tools and, having mastered certain skills, will be able to sharpen chainsaw chain on their own. There’s a reason I mentioned the words knowledge and skill. After all, sharpening chainsaw chains is not as easy as it seems. You can’t do without a file without enough experience, it will lead to an instant failure of the chain and all the cutting elements. The chain tooth itself has a complex geometry with different angles and inclinations.
In this article I will try to explain in as much detail as possible how to sharpen a chainsaw chain with your own hands.
Case for sharpening gasoline and electric chainsaws
Chain sharpening case. Easy-to-use mobile system for fast chain sharpening of chainsaws.
Your chain saw will be permanently “on standby” thanks to the Re2ls sharpening device.
You can sharpen your chain yourself in just a few strokes and in just 3 to 5 seconds. A chain can be sharpened up to 20 times.
The main advantages of this sharpener:
- The system is much more convenient than sharpening attachments consisting of files and rails;
- Re2ls device is much easier and cheaper than sharpening machines;
- Possibility to sharpen the chain directly during operation without removing the chain;
- Chainsaw chain sharpening speed. 3 to 5 seconds;
- Multiple use of the sharpener (up to 20 times);
- The sharpening stone can be changed in the system;
- Saves time and increases productivity.
Case for chain sharpening. the easy-to-use mobile chain sharpening system for chainsaws.
Thanks to the Re2ls sharpening attachment your chain saw will be permanently “on standby”.
You can sharpen the chain yourself in just a few movements and only 3 to 5 seconds. The chain can be sharpened up to 20 times.
The main advantages of this sharpener are:
- The system is much more convenient than sharpening devices consisting of files and guides;
- Re2ls is much easier and cheaper than sharpening machines;
- It is possible to sharpen the chain during operation without removing the chain;
- Chainsaw chain sharpening speed. 3 to 5 seconds;
- Multiple use of the sharpening device (up to 20 times);
- You can change the sharpening stone in the system;
- Time savings and improved productivity.
How to use the Re2ls
Fix the nozzle on the bar of the sawWhen the chain is blunt, simply put the sharpener on, fixing it on the guides (there are special holes)Sharpen the chainPress the tip of the sharpener to a hard surface for 3-5 seconds at full rotation of the chain.Remove the headstockThe chain is sharpened. You can work with pleasure!
Specification:Color: yellowUse: For sharpening saw chainSize: 21 14 3.5 cmWeight: 320 gFit for 16-20″ guide bars, universal chain.Suitable for most models: Craftsman, Poulan, Homelite, Husquvarna, Dolmar, Echo, Makita, McCulloch, Redmax, Skil and Cub Cadet.
Important things to know before buying: The sharpener has two adjusting pins that hold the bar securely in place when sharpening your chain. One of the pins is sliding. often than not, electric and chain saw bars have only one hole. When using the bar-mount sharpener with this type of bar, you need to choose a flat surface to rest the tool head on and work carefully, keeping the bar with the chain parallel to the faces of the tool head. For maximum reliability, it is recommended to clamp the sharpener, to create conditions for its immobility. Another way to fully engage the bar with a single hole in the sharpener. is the production of additional tools in the tire. Does not affect the performance of the saw, but solves the problem of sharpening the chain easily.
Wood carving blade
Wood Carving Circle. is a unique consumable for angle grinders (angle grinder) equipped with a circumferentially-stretched saw chain.
The wheel is designed for cutting and working wood and wood materials, milling, modeling, stripping wood of bark and cutting cups in logs for log houses.
Suitable for the very high machining speed of the angle grinder.
Description and characteristicsIn addition to woodworking, the wheel can also be used for machining ice, plastic and hard rubber. The cutting element (chain) is held between two steel plates that provide a secure grip for safe threading.Parameters:
Material: Steel Diameter: 102mmHole: 16mmWorking speed: 10000-13000 rpm (14000 rpm max) Suitable for: 4″ (100 mm) or 4-1/2″ (115 mm) angle grinder (angle grinder)
When working with a chain saw it is not recommended to use the locking function of the angle grinder’s switch. When the tool is out of control it can cause serious injury.
Chainsaw chain sharpening template
If you have bought a chain saw, it makes sense to have a special setting block as well (see “chain saw. sharpening template” on page 54). Fig. 3) with which the optimum values of the tooth angles can easily be set. It is used to check the upper and end blade back angles as well as the leading edge angle (it is stated in the manufacturer’s instructions and can vary between 65 80°).
It is especially important to use the template to estimate the value of the rear angle of the upper blade. This chain sharpening angle of the chainsaw chain is difficult to estimate otherwise and yet it must be within a fairly limited range of 50 to 60°.
Measure the grinding angle by measuring the angle between the top cutting edge and a line perpendicular to the chain guide.
The chain saw chain sharpening angle can be changed, depending on the application. With increasing hardness of the wood, its value should be less than. In general it is recommended to have an optimum angle of 10° 12° for a longitudinal cut and 25° 30° for a crosscut.
Figure 3. A view of the chain saw tooth sharpening template
The sharpening can be done manually using a circular file with a working diameter of 45.5 mm, or on the machine. In the first case, it is extremely important to position the tool correctly in relation to the tooth to be sharpened. The top edge of the file is about a fifth higher than the top edge of the tooth. The tool is placed perpendicularly to the chain axle, and with an angle of 25 30° to the upper edge of the tooth
One round file is not enough. You will need a flat file to sharpen the limiter, and a hook to remove the filings that form to clean the work site. Special holders are also available, on which the direction lines of the file are programmed in relation to the chain axis. As you can see in fig. 4, the holder can be mounted on the tooth from above, and rests on its top edge. Since the height of the sharpening bar is adapted to a chain pitch, it must be adapted to the chainsaw model and brand.
The minimum necessary kit for getting the right angle of chain sharpening by hand is shown in Fig. 5.
Figure 5. Sharpening tool and fixture kit
First the teeth of one direction are sharpened, and then the teeth of the other direction are sharpened. Start by pushing the tool lightly away from you, gradually increasing the load. While sharpening, the circular file is turned periodically along its axis.