How to tuck the line for your trimmer into a STIHL brushcutter
How to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer: a step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will only look really well kept if you regularly mow the grass. Grass trimmer is best suited for processing difficult areas. Any device owner sooner or later will face the problem of how to wind the line on the spool, because incorrect actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also withdraw equipment from service. Today in our review of Homius we will tell you about all the ways and nuances of replacing the fishing line and the peculiarities of the choice of consumable material.
Grass trimmer is useful for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near the fence, between the beds and along the paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected according to any requirements of owners.
The grass trimmer line is used as the cutting element of the grass trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will face the question of how to properly replace and fix the thread, tucked into the removable spool.
First, for winding the line is required to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and type of the product itself:
For the second and third version of the spool, depending on the design, are disassembled by different methods. In reels with a drum unscrew the drum, in spools with latches press the latches-lock and one part of the spool is released from the other. How to tuck the line for a trimmer in how to do it right cheap line for a trimmer. 2. What’s on your property? If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until the complete razrenntrovaniya.
Changing the line in a trimmer: 2 easy ways
Grass trimmer. a suitable and necessary tool for the suburban area and personal home. Many people own and use it intensively, but not everyone knows how to change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, especially at first.
In this annotation step by step breakdown the whole process of substitution. Looking ahead, there are two methods of tucking the line trimmer bobbin. There is no principal difference. the difference is that in the first case, one line for the trimmer, folded in half, will be tucked in, while in the 2nd such lines will be two segments.
How the line is wound
The order you wind the line depends on whether you have a spool with one or two clips, or a spool with automatic cord charging.
One strand spool
It is very easy to attach the line to the single-twist spool. In such designs, depending on the brand of grass trimmer, fit from two to five meters of cord. The edge of the line in the bobbin must be tucked into a special hole or groove, and then the string is wound in the opposite direction to the rotation of the spool during operation.
Tip! To figure out which way to wind the line, you should look at the bobbin case. there are usually marks on it indicating the direction you want the spool to work in.
After the line for the trimmer is wound, you need to leave a small piece (15-30 cm), put it through the bobbin outlet and reassemble the head.
On a spool with two tendrils
In this type of bobbins, you need to inspect the inside of the spool and determine the number of grooves for winding the cord provided in it.
Important! If the spool has one groove, then both tendrils should be wound on a common groove, if two. then on separate tracks.
For winding you need to take a piece of fishing line length of two to three meters. For spools with a single groove, tuck the line for the trimmer into the through hole, align the whiskers, align and wind it on the spool in the opposite direction to its rotation during operation. If there are fixing grooves, you must put the ends of the cord in them, then pull them into the outlet hole, and then close the spool and put it back in place.
For double-stranded spools, the difference is that the string section should be folded in half. Next, you need to charge the middle of the fold into the groove between the grooves, and then wind up each of the pieces of line on its track, fix the tendrils and reassemble the bobbin the same way as a bobbin with one track.
On a trimmer head with automatic threading
For heads with automatic filling it is enough only to start and clamp the edges of the line, and further winding the tool will perform independently when turning on. There’s no room for error because the line spool recognizes how the line clip should be positioned.
For your information! The advantages of trimmers with such a head include the convenience of laying the cord, and the disadvantages. expensive and difficult to repair.
How to wind the line on the weed trimmer reel. 1 way
Unwind about 4 meters of fishing line for winding. To determine the exact amount of material you need, wind the line for the trimmer from the roll on the spool, the final result should not exceed the diameter of the spool and stick out over the edges.
- For convenience, fold the thread in half, make one end longer than the other by 10-15 cm.
- The spool has a separating rim running down the center. There is a cavity on it, where you need to insert the line for the trimmer. To do it. squeeze the bending point of the thread more forcefully and start the loop in this cavity.
- Important. it is necessary to determine exactly in what direction to wind the line for the trimmer, to do this, find the inscription “Wind Line” on the spool, near it there is an arrow indicating the direction of winding. If there is no such arrow on the reel, look for an arrow on the body of the mowing head, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Wrap the line for the trimmer on the spool gently, pulling the thread as taut as possible.
- When you are finished, take the end that is shorter and insert it into the blade on the spool body that corresponds to the diameter of your fishing line. In this work, the thread is threaded into the blade with the designations 3.3 mm.
- Do the same with the second end, but insert it in the opposite blade from the previous one. Tighten the two ends, leave an allowance of 5-10 cm and trim the rest. The allowance is necessary so that when you insert the spool into the head the thread will not unwind.
What to do:
Before you disassemble the trimmer head, be sure to turn off the engine gasoline grass trimmer or unplug it from the network if the trimmer for grass electric. Turn the grass trimmer upside down, placing it on the handlebars so that the trimmer head “looks” up for easy disassembly. Press the latches on the sides of the trimmer head and remove the cover.
Remove the drum (spool) from the trimmer head and remove any remaining fishing line from it (there may be a piece of fishing line remaining there) and clean the cover, body and spool of soil and grass.
Buy trimmer line for the trimmer head at your dealer’s service center, in a store or at the market. The diameter of the line, the shape of its cross-section, and the recommended brand, see Pic. In the Owner’s Manual of your grass trimmer and by price level.
Measure and cut the desired length of line from the coil you bought (see the manual for your trimmer). Owner’s Manual for your trimmer, usually 15 m). Find the middle of the fishing line by folding it in half.
With the loop formed, hook the trimmer line into the notch on the inside of the drum and wind first one half of the line onto one side of the drum, and then the other half of the line onto the other side of the drum. The ends of the wound fishing line, so they do not unwind, fix them by inserting them into the notches on the edges of the trimmer head drum.
Insert the drum into the previously removed cover of the trimmer head and take out the ends of the line through the holes provided in the cover (usually these holes have a metal edging, as during the work experience strong shock and abrasion effects from chopping the grass and constantly moving lines). Insert the cover with the wound up reel on the base of the trimmer head and snap into place.
Pull the ends of the fishing line with both hands as far as they will go. If the working ends of the fishing line are longer than normal, they will be cut at the first revolutions by the cutter blade, which is usually located on the plastic blade guard of the grass trimmer.
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then you need to use a lawnmower for easy cleaning of grass and weeds. In case you are thinking of choosing an electric mower or a gasoline mower, click here and you will find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the line for the trimmer on the mower wears out and needs to be replaced. this can be done yourself. The polyethylene filament should be chosen based on the model of the mower. It is also worth following with other parts of the machine, here for example you can find information about Craftsman mower blades that also get worn out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The device spool, which is inserted line for trimmer, very simple. But it differs depending on whether the reel works with one or two strand tendrils. It is important to observe safety precautions when changing the line in the reel.
To change the line for the trimmer, you need to remove the old one (if there was one). Coil. It is a part of the grass trimmer’s construction that is placed inside the head of the brushcutter, the reel or the bobbin. Depending on the manufacturer, the mowing heads may be different. But this article deals only with Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Annotation, how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer for grass, described below.
- First, you need to clean the head of dirt and clogged grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the brushcutter head upward and, taking hold of the cover, remove the special protective cover put on the reel.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The spool is easy to remove even with one hand because it is NOT fastened in any way inside the reel.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer for the grass with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily remove the drum. To do this neatly, you should support the reel with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the reel out. As it was said above, it is NOT fastened at all, except for the hook with iron shaft, so it does not need to be taken out with force. Carefully, with a radial movement, remove the spool from the reel.
- Now it remains to remove the old line for the trimmer and follow the following instructions.
Reassemble the spool and reel in its original place using the reverse method.
Before the process of filling the line is worthwhile to make sure that a suitable thread has been bought for the grass trimmer. If the filament is loose, it increases fuel or power consumption and puts extra strain on the brushcutter engine.
To change the thread itself, you need to prepare a piece of whine of the right size. In most cases this requires about 4 meters of fishing line. A certain figure will depend on the characteristics of the line, for example its thickness, also on the characteristics of the spool itself. If you can not find the exact length, you can do as follows: stick and twist the thread to the state that the spool is one hundred percent charged (the level of fishing line will be compared to the protrusion in the sides of the spool). Take care that the line for the trimmer has sat flat in the reel.
Annotation on how to thread the spool is described below.
- Take the prepared thread and roll it in half. One edge should be longer than the other by 0,1-0,15 m.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller, you need to pull up to the larger one, so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, you should keep an indentation of 0.15.
- Find the slit inside the baffle of the coil. In this slot neatly extend the loop that came out earlier.
- To continue working, you need to find the winding direction of the thread in the spool. To do this, it is enough to look at the coil. There should be an arrow on it.
- If you could not find the arrow-pointer, it is entirely possible that there is a written symbol. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to look at the head of the spool. There is a direction arrow on it. But this is the direction of the coil. To get the winding direction it is necessary to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to refill the spool with the line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves on the inside of the reel. When winding the whine must follow these grooves, otherwise you can destroy the grass trimmer. At this step, the spool should be loaded very carefully.
- When the user twists almost the entire thread, you should take the small end (do not forget about the ledge of 0.15) and pull it through the hole located in the wall of the spool. Now the same action should be repeated with the other end (from the other side).
- Put the spool itself in the head of the spool, before that, putting the line for the trimmer through the holes inside the drum.
- Now it’s time to return the drum in its place. After which it is necessary to take 2 hands for the ends of the line and pull them apart. Then reattach the cap (until you hear it click).
- It remains to perform “cosmetic work”. It is necessary to see if the thread is too long. You can start the grass trimmer and check in practice whether everything is comfortable. If the thread is not long enough, it can be cut with scissors.
READ What to do after the running-in of the grass trimmer
Tips and trimmer line winding and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners but also for veteran masters. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. It is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of locks. If one latch does not click, then when you start the tool, the drum can jump out and injure a person
- Do not wind the line for the trimmer with a strong retraction, as well as in an amount greater than you can put it in place. It is better not to wind up the cutting equipment than to have more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it when necessary
- If you own a tool with one line output, not two, (usually these are low-powered machines), then the winding process is carried out in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference that there is no middle edge between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material, you must first check the functionality of the tool, and then proceed to mow the grass. If not checked beforehand, the scaffold can uncoil and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the correct material, to prevent injuries when working with petrol or lawn mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. In the process of mowing grass under the rotating parts get small stones and other materials that can fly long distances so, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.