How to turn a circular saw into a circular saw
Let’s build a circular saw from a manual circular saw
I needed a circular saw the other day. And it, quite by chance, was not at hand. Give more than a tenner (the bare minimum for the Chinese) does not allow thrifty amphibian, but the need for it does not become less. There are, of course, jigsaws, jigsaws, but that’s not the solution, because you need some, no matter what, performance and accuracy. We had to harness our ingenuity and industriousness.So, we have a manual circular saw, a decent piece of 15ys plywood, a piece of angle, all sorts of bolts and screws, a drill, and hand (not wild) milling machine. Another three or four completely unoccupied hours. Which we are going to do handjobs ( fck, my Android knows the word “handjobs”). Where from?).Further there is more text than pictures.We have a thinly contoured piece of plywood, which allows us to get a rectangle of 1000x700mm and 15mm thick. And first of all we have the jigsaw.Then we cut a rectangular hole to fit the plywood with the jigsaw. And on the contour, by cutter, we choose the depression, which will let recess the table of the circular saw in alignment with the plane of the “fanfair”. With tears in my eyes, I make a few holes in the table of the circular saw (and in the fanfare) with a 5m drill. which will allow you to fix the circular on the sheet. Do not forget to countersink the hole, so as to sink the screw head into it completely (do not be afraid, most likely the table circular from the weak and very soft lumineum). Yes, it won’t hurt the circular (uh, I hope).Thus we have here a circular saw pinned to a piece of plywood.
Thus we have a circular saw pinned to a piece of plywood.But we still need a stop, so we can saw properly, not as we have to. Well, we take a piece of structural iron (or even a piece of wood) that we have on hand and make it into a stop.We make cuts in the fanfare sheet with a drill and a jigsaw.
The machine you’re looking for is ready?Yeah. ! Screw the trigger of the circular saw with a wire and you can saw!Well, yeah! It’s kind of creepy. Since we can switch off the finger slicer only by pulling the plug of the circular saw out of the socket.Not good! Fainting from the shock of my fingers flying off to the side, it’s not exactly comforting to think of a socket. Otherwise, I’m lying on the floor, pouring my fluids into it, and the circular saw continues to spin merrily. The switch should be quickly and easily accessible!Oddly enough, we have a switch, a socket and a meter of two-core wire.
This, of course, is not ideal in terms of functionality, and safety (for sure), but, as a last resort, will do.Yeah, I took a picture with an angle grinder.And, also, watch out for your fingers, please! Circular saw. most cheerful tool in this respect (unless you count an angle grinder with a saw blade. But this is for heroes, strong in spirit!)))
How to make a crosscut saw from a circular saw with your own hands?
Trimming saw. a device that every builder should take “at arsenal”. However, it is no secret that high-quality professional tools, presented in the construction market, is quite expensive. That is why those who want to save money, as well as to show their skills, should try to make a crosscut saw with their own hands. The starting material for this will be a circular saw.
Step by step instructions
The process of making a circular saw from an angle grinder with your own hands involves a number of steps:
- First of all, you need to make a table-base;
- Install the angle grinder itself and the disk;
- Attach a thrust bar;
- to bring electricity;
- Make a test run.
The main element of both the miniature and stationary version of the circular saw is a table-frame. You can make it using the drawings, or build it to your own taste, observing the basic principle of making such a part of the saw. Everything will depend on the size of the wood material that you are going to saw in the future.
We will tell you how to convert the angle grinder into a miniature circular sander. With its help it is possible to saw bars, small boards, slats, used for repairs or in private households.
The table looks in the form of a workbench, the base of which is most often made of lumber.
- At first, they take sheets of chipboard and assemble a miniature table out of them, the legs of which are performed at such a height that an angle grinder can fit under the base. They are fastened to the stiffening ribs. These, in their turn, are made of small boards and fastened along the edge of the worktop at 7-10 cm from its underside with self-tapping screws.
- It is desirable to make the upper working surface of laminated plywood. When the table top (frame) is ready, turn it downside down and make a marking for installation of the angle grinder and the saw blade. As the basis take the element from the angle grinder, on it make measurements for the slot for the new disk. On its ends mark with a pencil the outermost boundaries of the future hole (kerf). Then take a drill bit and drill the formed points.
- After that, use a ruler to connect the edges of the formed holes, drawing two parallel lines at their width. A part of the table top inside these lines is cut out with an angle grinder. The cut for the disk is ready.
- Then you should buy a new disk in a store. The optimal variant would be to buy the sample for wood works in the size of 125 mm with hard-alloy teeth. there can be 24, 36, 48 of them.
- Under the working surface of the table is screwed plank, to which the angle grinder is attached, using clamps. It can be fixed with self-made clamps and tightening nuts. At the same time in the table (in the cut out hole) make the installation of the disk itself. It must be positioned so that a large part of it is on the surface. It is desirable to mount the safety guard. It is sold at any construction store, so you can easily buy such an element. Fix it usually on the hinges, allowing the visor to hinge.
DIY, Convert Angle Grinder to Circular Saw | angle grinder cutting jig | angle grinder attachment
- Using a metal angle or plastic scrap of an old skirting board, make a thrust strip. It can be mounted on plywood or particle board. The length of this strip should be the same as the table’s work surface. Screw the strip (limiter) at a distance of at least 2 cm from the teeth of the saw blade. At the ends of the slat make two holes and fix it in the table with bolts or ordinary self-tapping screws.
- The board or timber to be cut must rest completely on the table top, as the blade drives at high speed expose the timber to vibration. To keep the lumber on the weight is impossible. there is a possibility of serious injury.
- In the next phase of work on the inside of the mini-table do fixing electrical outlet, through which the wire is run and then carry out the installation of the switch. Usually its fixation is carried out on the outer side of one of the stiffeners. The wire from the switch is routed to the power supply. thus electricity is supplied to the circular grinder.
When the saw is ready, make a test run and cut small bars, paying attention to the speed of the disc.
To avoid making a table for the circular saw, folk craftsmen use a vice as a supporting frame. At the very beginning make a clamping angle grinder with a disc on the edge of a regular table, removing the protection and unscrewing the handle of the angle grinder. Then take plywood or chipboard to form the frame, in which you make a hole under the disk. It is fastened by drilling a hole and inserting a bolt in it. It must coincide with the hole on the angle grinder, where the handle is attached. Tighten the bolt as far as it will go, using a wrench.
Use improvised materials to make a thrust bar or a limiter. It is fastened with bolts on the ends of the frame with ordinary self-tapping screws. Under the weight of the angle grinder it can tilt forward and catch the disc on the table top itself. In this case, you need a handle. It can be unscrewed from an old wrench and screwed into an angle grinder, making the support for the motor.
Such a miniature makeshift construction works accurately, produces a high-quality cut of slats and beams.
Structurally, a home-made sawing table looks pretty simple. The machine consists of a support frame for the motor, a transmission unit and a working table with a slot for the cutting disc. The construction is equipped with stops for guiding the workpiece and a protective screen that prevents chips from entering and enhances work safety.
Mandatory requirements for the sawing table:
- rigid, stable design;
- smooth surface of the table top;
- Safe mounting of the disc;
- A guard to protect the operator of the machine (table);
- Easy access to the control unit (start and stop buttons).
The equipment must be installed on a frame supported not on solid plates, but on legs. This makes the saw table more comfortable to work with, but makes it less stable. The frame can be made of metal or reinforced with metal elements to increase resistance. Not only is the blade guard secure, but the blade is also secured to the underside (inside) of the frame. Additional requirements depend on the nature of the work. auxiliary elements help to process parts more accurately, cut longer boards as well as thicker logs.
By making a saw table with your own hands, you can get a number of advantages. from cost reduction to the possibility of changing the design as required by the craftsman. If desired, you can replace some of the parts with more cost-effective, use materials left over from repair or construction. The only disadvantage of the circular saw, independently mounted on the machine, is a decrease in the accuracy of positioning of workpieces. But this point still depends a great deal on the skill of the do-it-yourselfer.
Rigid, stable construction
Smooth surface of the table top
Safe drive mounting
Guarding, which protects the operator of the machine (table)
The circular saw is not so difficult to make, problems may arise when adjusting assemblies. Choosing the right elements so that they work flawlessly is an important task. Shaft must have self-adjusting bearings if unit is used daily. The bearings themselves are best selected with two rows of balls, which will be adjusted with a clamping nut.
The working surface must have a “grid”-marking. Without this coordinate system, accurate woodworking is quite difficult. Do not neglect the protective cap. during operation it reliably protects the device from mechanical damage. The circular saw works in different modes when working with different materials, so it is desirable to have a device that controls such a process. Several grooves should be made on the shaft, so that it is possible to rearrange the pulleys, thus changing the speed.
The parallel stop is a necessary device for work with large-sized workpieces. It is possible to make them with your own hands from plywood, plank or chipboard. The size of the stop is usually not more than 25 mm. The stop is fastened with self-tapping screws or bolts.
When you have to saw bars or make several cuts from different directions, you need a stop that has a “U” configuration. At its base is a board 30 mm thick. 12 mm thick side plates are screwed to the base. Thus, the stop is installed on the bar, the size of which from the cutting point corresponds to the size to the circular saw blade. On both sides it is pressed to the bar by clamps. If the beam is too massive, it is repositioned and another cut is made.
There is also an edge stop, which is in demand. To make it, you need a lot of time and good skills of the master. Be sure to make a blueprint before starting work. Is made of plywood (20 mm), as this material is also made and the thrust strip. Manufacturing phases:
- the longitudinal slots for the dowels are cut;
- dowels are mounted on the stop bar;
- Between the grooves made, another groove is cut in order to secure the thrust strip;
- another hole is made in the base, its size corresponds to the size of the circular saw’s cutter;
Mounted sidewalls-restrictors, and be sure to have locks to secure it. To put a stop on the workpiece, the bar moves in the slots and is secured through the slot with clamps. It is best to attach a ruler or tape measure to the frame at once. it makes the work much easier. The pusher is useful for work with small workpieces. it allows you to fix the part from both sides, which ensures the accuracy of work. It is also important to make:
If you use a three-phase motor (380 volts) on the machine, you absolutely need capacitors that can withstand a minimum voltage of 620 volts. These devices can be of the paper type.
Capacitors are calculated according to this scheme: there are 100 uF for a 1000 watt capacitor of the working type. Capacity of starting capacitor should be ordered twice as big. It should be remembered that the SB starter unit is a fixture that automatically returns to its original position. This is very convenient because literally in a matter of seconds after the start can begin the work process.
Construction of the stationary circular saw
Stationary circular saw is designed for sufficiently large amount of work. The design of the realized variant in two views is shown on the scheme below. It also indicates the main dimensions of the installation, from which it is recommended to start assembling your own equipment.
In the drawing the figures correspond to the following structural elements of the homemade equipment:
- 1. frame (bed);
- 2. side panel;
- 3. starting device;
- 4. table height adjustment mechanism, 13. its stops;
- 5, 6 and 7. two halves of the sawing table with the base;
- 8. electric motor;
- 9. motor mounting pad;
- 10. studs (M10);
- 11. saw;
- 12. shaft;
- 14 and 16. driven and driven pulleys, respectively;
- 15. belt;
- 17. switch.
It is better to place the triggering device in a visible place on the panel (made of dielectric material) so that it is freely accessible. It is also recommended to necessarily equip the machine with an emergency switch. It is convenient if it is of large size.
Focusing on your own needs, you can improve the unit by making it with a planer or planer. For this purpose, it is enough to mount a drum with knives on the existing shaft, and in the table to make a slot under it of appropriate size. This will expand the functionality of the created unit: to plan the sawdust on it, remove the bevel and choose a quarter of the wooden workpieces.
If regular performance of carpentry operations on homemade equipment is planned, it is recommended to equip it with a coordinate table with several guides. They need to be fixed at different angles. To organize productive work, you should also provide the ability to regulate the speed of the electric motor and quick replacement of discs, if necessary.
One of the most common causes of injury when using a circular saw is that the work area is cluttered
In addition, it is not unimportant to observe the stability, strength of absolutely all components of the system, and in case of imbalance. to use measures to eliminate difficulties. Before connecting the saw, make sure that it is well secured. If necessary, tighten the self-tapping screws/bolts. It is strictly forbidden to hold the material close to the place of cutting! It is dangerous if knots and chips bounce in the eyes or on the exposed parts of the body
It is imperative to wear sunglasses and sleeves before working.
It is not as easy a task as it may seem to build a saw table yourself. If you have a good material at hand, its characteristics are correct, and the power of the device ranges from 500 to 1000 watts, the above instructions will be the basis of work.
It should not be overlooked that at any stage of the production of the table you should control the accuracy of your own operations. Otherwise, if there are dimensional deviations or deformations in the feet when you tie the ribs, it will be very difficult to resume stability. Nevertheless, the production of a table for a circular saw with their own hands is an absolutely real task for a few hours.
Turn your Circular Saw into Table Saw | DIY Table saw
Cutting from different scrap metal
This is quite heavy facing on a stationary metal table. To operate it, you will have to exert some effort. But as a result, the saw mechanism moves smoothly, without jerks, facing with their own hands is easy.
Materials and tools needed for assembly:
- A 900 watt electric motor;
- metal sheet;
- metal angle;
- hinge group;
- powerful spring;
- angle grinder;
- welding machine;
The frame is made of adjustable supports, metal angle bars and posts from an old bed. The working surface. a metal sheet as the surface of the table, in which we cut a hole, the edges with your own hands hand file.
- Pendulum stand for the saw is welded from a channel set on a sheet of metal, its height is about 80 cm.
- The stand for the electric motor is made in the form of movable metal plate mounted on hinges. Electric motor uses a spring as a stabilizer. Then you can do without the pendulum and belts.
- Tension belts are adjusted by the usual hinged bolt, the pendulum for the mechanism is also made of metal.
- As the executive tool on the facing tool is installed disc diameter of 420 mm.
Step by step assembly
Make your own hands a stationary circular saw can be made from the angle grinder and hand torch without making any changes in the design of the working tool. The base is made of lumber, which greatly simplifies production, eliminating the need to use complex welding equipment. Step by step instruction:
How To Make A Homemade Table Saw With Circular Saw
- The base is made of a bar with the size of 40×40 mm and plywood sheets.
- Tabletop is made of lacquered or laminated plywood. In the center of the countertop, a kerf is made, into which the cutting disk will enter.
- From below with screws or other fasteners fix circular saw.
- A switch is installed, which allows you to turn on the saw without raising the table top. It is also possible to make a circular saw without a switch, for which the working saw is switched to “On” mode, and then the only thing left is to apply voltage to the tool.
- Use furniture rails to make a movable stop, which is attached to the wall of the circular saw opposite to the switch with angles. The presence of such a stop allows to simplify significantly the sawing of wood.
- The longitudinal stop is made from a metal angle, and its movement is carried out by loosening the bolts. The fixing bolts are in small, parallel kerfs on the tabletop.
- You only need to conduct a test run of the tool and, if necessary, make adjustments.
This variant of making circular saws is an excellent choice if you need a tool for sawing boards up to 3 cm thick. If you want to make a powerful and multifunctional device for the home, the electric motors with power of 5 kW and more, which allow processing and sawing boards with thickness of 5-8 centimeters, are used.
Some masters make more complex tools, which imply the use of powerful electric motors, V-belt drive and larger diameter saw blades. If there are any difficulties in the network you can find thematic videos on how to make a circular saw with their own hands.