How to unscrew a stuck screwdriver bolt
How to loosen the different types?
The main difference between the different types of screw fasteners is the type of their slots and the shape of their flats. Rules of unscrewing are also different, because in each case, you need to act according to the peculiarities of the metalware:
- Straight. Both large and very small can be easily unscrewed with a normal flat-headed screwdriver. The main rule of working with such hardware is a firm fit of the tool tip. The slightest gap multiplies the chances of a slot coming off.
- Cross, or Phillips. A distinctive feature is the ejection of the tool during screwing. It increases the chance of a slot coming off. Cruciform variants are the champions of unscrewing problems. It is better to observe the rule of non-threading when working with them.
- Pozidriv. Cross-shaped with notches and parallel edges. This variant does not have the problem of tool tip ejection, and more force can be applied when screwing fasteners in their final position. Visually, Pozidriv differs from Phillips only in the presence of serrations. But different bits are used for them, as well as screwdrivers, otherwise slot breakage is inevitable.
- Hexagon. The internal spline in the form of a hexagonal recess in the screw head. In order to tighten it properly, the screwdriver or wrench must be properly selected. the tool must fit tightly, without play. If there is an air gap, the tool stinger will rotate, grinding out the slots.
- Asterisk, or Torx. Introduced as an improved alternative to the hexagon. screw can withstand a high tightening torque, centred. With the right bit it is hard to break.
- Three-way. This is considered an anti-vandal option because it is so rare. Comes in different shapes: Y-type, Ti-wing. In the first case, the slot looks like the letter of the same name, in the second. like a turbine blade.
- TORX Plus anti-vandal. The slot of this screw is in the form of a five-beam star with a central pin. Vandalism is that only a special bit is used for mounting, it is not included in standard tool sets. Cannot unscrew with any other tool.
- Vandal resistant triangular slot (TA). Looks like a recess in the screw head, can be turned not only with a special tool but also with a hexagon or small-diameter slotted screwdriver. Probability of tripping is low, the bit can easily be made by hand.
- One way. Screws that can only be driven straight. If unscrewing attempts are made, the screwdriver or bit should simply be thrown out of the slot. Cannot be unscrewed using conventional methods.
- Slotted head screws. A special tool with a recess corresponding in shape and size to the fastener head is used for work with them. Available in square, pentagonal, hexagonal, Torx, 12-point or twelve-point. Most of them are suitable for use with ring wrenches; head licking often occurs when excessive force is applied during work.
These are the main types of screw fasteners with which problems occur when unscrewing. On how to solve them, it is worth examining in more detail.
How to unscrew a bolt if the edges are slipped off
Basically, every repair does not go smoothly, but with the emergence of small problems, for the elimination of which you have to spend time and effort. What to do in a situation where you need to disassemble the structure, and the bolt is rusted or damaged, let’s consider further.
At home not every craftsman has the necessary equipment at hand, but you can cope with this problem with improvised means.
How to unscrew a screw with ripped-off edges: photo, video
Not every repair goes quickly and smoothly. Sometimes the emergence of small problems can take a lot of time and effort to fix them. Here’s how to unscrew a screw with a torn edge, for example? To save you time searching and viewing videos and photos on the Internet, we have collected different answers to this question in one article, which we invite you to read.
Reasons for such problems, as a rule, are connected with the sticking effect, displacement of fastened parts, as well as strong “overstretching” of the bolt during installation. Not always the right tool is used (a 13 mm wrench can be easily replaced with a 14 mm wrench and a screwdriver), which contributes to tearing the bolt edges.
Regardless of the causes of the problems with bolt unscrewing, it is worth to perform a series of preparatory works and then proceed to locksmith operations.
- Open the bolt connection with a penetrating fluid, which will significantly reduce the friction coefficient. As such fluid it is advisable to use WD-40, kerosene or brake fluid. After the fluid is applied to the problem connection, you should wait for 30-60 minutes and only then proceed to the unscrewing.
- You can first knock on stuck hardware (e. g. with a hammer). This should be done carefully so as not to damage the thread itself.
- It is possible (if the location allows it) to heat the stuck bolt with a gas torch, that will cause the rust and dirt to turn into ashes, and the metal itself will become a little more pliable.
How to unscrew a bolt with stripped threads
How to unscrew a bolt? Article about effective ways with a review of the tool, the best and non-standard.
In this article we will consider how to unscrew a torn off bolt (with torn off edges), rusted bolt, crankshaft pulley bolt, wheel, exhaust manifold, cylinder head and other units and assemblies.
The recommendations will also be useful in household works. repairing faucets, toilets, garage equipment, prefabricated buildings, etc.п.
Bolt is normally unscrewed with ring or open-end wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets using a ratchet, ratchet, or impact wrench. However, other variations are also possible.
Before you unscrew a bolt, you have to choose the tool that works best for you:
- thin short open-jaw wrenches, especially with too loose (broken) jaws are the worst alternative, which is better to refuse right away in the situation with the unscrewing of rusty and stuck bolts (this will lead to torn edges);
- Socket wrenches are preferable to open-end wrenches because they cover the perimeter of the bolt head tighter;
- 6-point socket wrenches or sockets are preferable to their 12-point versions because the hexagonal ones have a bigger pressure area on the flat working surfaces of the flat head and are less likely to tear the facets;
- A tool with an extended handle or additional nozzle is preferable to a short one;
- a ratchet is preferable to a ratchet because of its simplicity and robustness, t.к. For the original, excessive force can damage the mechanism (especially ratchets with many teeth which are smaller and not as strong);
- an impact wrench is better than a hand-held tool;
- In combination with a screwdriver or a pneumatic impact wrench, the best solution is the Super Lock head, in which the force is applied not to the corners (faces) but to the planes, which eliminates the licking of the faces of the bolt head;
- the torque booster (multiplier) will help to apply a force to a large stuck bolt that exceeds human physical capabilities;
- a screwdriver with a large handle of a typical shape or a T-shaped power screwdriver will do a better job than the traditional compact versions;
- a suitable clamping tool (pipe (gas tool), wrench, screwdriver, vise, pliers, etc.) will be useful if there are no wrenches or screws for the tool.п.) will come in handy if there are no wrenches or if the facets have been flattened;
- if the flat bar is high enough, an appropriately sized stud wrench can be used in rare cases.
In the following description of methods we will show you how to unscrew a bolt with an atypical tool.
Strong Super Lock head for bolts of wheels is worth to buy and carry in the car constantly, because the wheel fasteners often get damaged during seasonal change of tires and can cause serious problems to the car owner on the road in case of a puncture.
The most commonly used bolts with the right-hand thread direction: unscrew them counterclockwise (look at the bolt from the side of the cap). Bolt with left-hand threads should be unscrewed clockwise.
When determining which way to unscrew a bolt, it is sufficient to look at it carefully:
- you can see the tilt of the bolt threads on the side at a slight angle. unscrew the bolt to the side in which the thread rises;
- even if the threaded part is not visible, you can determine the direction by the end of the nut (or the through thread channel, in which the bolt sits) at the point of exit of the last coil of its internal thread.
If there are no visible signs, when only the flat is visible tightly pressed to the surface of the part, it is better to start unscrewing counterclockwise, if there is no result, then try counterclockwise.
A bolt with torn edges can be unscrewed in several basic ways:.
- Use a Super Lock head that works on the planes, not on the edges;
- clamp the torn off bolt in a pipe wrench (in a vise, clamps, pliers, etc.).п.) and unscrew with it;
- make a cut in the head and unscrew with a strong screwdriver;
- combine the previous two methods, using both a clamping tool and a screwdriver, which will allow the force of two hands;
- Grind flat for smaller wrench;
- apply a special tool. extractor (similar to a tap, working part is tapered, the direction of thread is opposite to the thread of the stud): drill in the center of the hole of desired diameter and depth about 2/3 of the length of the working part of the extractor, insert the extractor and rotate with force until the bolt is unscrewed;
- drill a hole in the center of the flat not deeper than the height of the flat, hammer a TORX bit (E-profile or similar with longitudinal ribs) into it and unscrew by the shank of the bit;
- hammer on top of the flat of the bolt with the flattened edges a nut of a suitable size, the inner diameter of which allows it to sit in tension, for additional fixation drill a hole in the area of contact of the nuts, insert there a suitable metal rod as a key to prevent rotation, unscrew the bolt, using a tool for the size of the nut of a larger diameter;
- put on a nut with a larger diameter and weld it to the head of the bolt with a welding semiautomatic machine, unscrew the large nut together with the bolt welded to it.
As you can see, it is not so difficult to unscrew a bolt with ripped edges.
For information on how to unscrew a broken bolt that has no flat, see the article How to unscrew a stud: 25 effective ways and techniques, which is posted in the Useful section on ZiSinfo
It is easier to unscrew a rusty bolt if you have access to the threaded part. As a rule, there is such a possibility from the side of the end, on which the nut is screwed (the bolt goes through the fastened parts), less often. from the side of the cap, when it is not tightly attached to the fastened surface. The way to proceed is as follows:.
- the available threads should be thoroughly cleaned of rust with a metal brush, remove contamination
- apply penetrating compound WD-40, Liquid Wrench and their analogs (so that the applied compound flowed down from top to bottom in the zone of tacking threads of rusty bolt), allow the composition to work for 20 minutes, unless other time is not specified by the manufacturer of means;
- Using the available tool, apply force in the direction of unscrewing;
- If the bolt does not yield, use the loosening method, alternately applying force to both tightening and tightening;
- If the above steps do not lead to a positive result, then apply soaking in a penetrating or chemically active agent in relation to the rust for a long time.
The essence of the method is to work on the rusty threaded part of the bolt with a penetrating or chemically active agent in respect to rust for a long enough time.
- abundantly moisten the rusty fastener in the threaded area with the active agent, wrap the accessible threaded shank of the bolt with a rag soaked in this agent or put it on top (so that the chemical flows down the thread from above), close tightly to prevent drying, if necessary adding a fresh agent every few hours;
- Dip the fastener completely in the chemical, using a large volume of suitable container.
Soaking rusty fasteners can be done using:
- Special penetrating compositions WD-40, Liquid Key and analogues;
- kerosene, gasoline, carburetor cleaner, locks defroster, brake fluid and others, from the garage stock;
- rust converter;
- chemically active compositions in relation to rust. table vinegar, iodine, coca-cola, etc.п.
Before you unscrew a stuck bolt, it is necessary to perform preparatory steps that can facilitate the course of the case:
- hit the head along the axis of the bolt with a hammer;
- apply rocking tapping with a hammer on the lateral working planes around the bolt head;
- if possible, heat the fastened part in the area of the threaded channel and try to unscrew in hot (if the first time did not help, repeat the heating several times).
In the latter case, you can use matches, a wax candle, a lighter, a burner from a gas can, a blowtorch or a gas torch for heating (the latter extremely carefully, at a sufficient distance so as not to damage the part).
To unscrew the bolt that does not want to unscrew, stuck, you can apply penetrating grease in combination with other ways to increase the force.
If the head of the bolt for a screwdriver, but it itself is not at hand, then the following options are possible:
- clamp the head of the bolt in a vise, pliers, jaw pliers or similar tool with a bit from the available set;
- If you do not have a Phillips or other shaped bit, then apply the method with a kerf for a flat screwdriver or turning the head for a key (grind a file, drill or grinder on the opposite sides of the flat to form parallel planes of sufficient area);
- In the absence of a flathead screwdriver or bit, use any suitable or specially ground to size hardened steel object clamped in the tool listed above, it will act as the screwdriver‘s sting;
- If you have a massive bolt head, you can use methods with welding or keying a large nut, or any other suitable method from those described above.
How and with what to undo a sprocket or hex bolt without a wrench
Often a star or hex bolt has a round shaped head. How and what to unscrew a bolt without a wrench? You can consider any of the suitable methods mentioned above for unscrewing a bolt with a torn edge.
Before you can unscrew a hard-to-reach bolt, you need to prepare a special tool:
- wrench or ratchet with short handle;
- ratchet with a large number of teeth in the mechanism (gives a small angle of rotation, which is important in cramped conditions);
- socket extensions;
- drift pins;
- flexible actuators for heads.
If you plan to regularly work with hard-to-reach fasteners, it is better to buy the listed tools, as part of a set or individually for the actual tasks. For one-time use, you can ask for the necessary.
Before you unscrew a bolt you need to clean threaded part from rust and dirt, apply penetrating or chemically active compound against rust, choose the best tool available and only after that you need to apply effort.
Using too much force and using the wrong tool is likely to damage the bolt head, break the bolt or the tool.
Considering how to unscrew a bolt, immediately choose the most effective and reliable solution out of those available.
Sooner or later any owner is faced with a situation where a nut, bolt or self-tapping screw does not want to unscrew. There are several reasons for this: poor quality metal, violation of technology (over-hardened self-tapping screws), rust, time, too much effort applied when tightening the connection. Nevertheless it is possible to unscrew a bolt with ripped off edges, a jammed nut or a rusted connection. In this article we will talk about how to do it.
How to unscrew a stuck bolt with a screwdriver
Had a problem unscrewing the bolts and did not want to drill them out. Two days of effort, but it worked. And these bolts were on carburetors, which required even more care! Maybe someone will benefit from my experience I decided to disassemble the carburetors on a suzuki RF400, because I got sick, here’s the post about it: RF-ca is dying took them off as expected, brought them home, so as not to sow anything in the garage, sat down to disassemble A minute later realized that it would not be very easy(( The thing is that the float chamber trays are screwed to the carburetors and at the first attempt to unscrew them broke a cross on the bolt (( Turned one bolt. broke it, began trying to rest. I feel the cross-over go What to do. There are eight bolts, two on each carburetor and not one unscrewed. I decided to try to clamp them with tonknockers No way What to do next I did not know, so as they say “Ok, Google!” Some of the solutions found there seemed interesting, some didn’t fit (for example it’s dangerous to heat with a torch. there’s a plastic float inside. they can melt, for sure). But I didn’t find any specific way to solve my problem, so I unscrewed everything in a few tries)
Tried it : made a notch in one of the bolts with a flat screwdriver Result : complete failure, notch also broke off!
Tried : Decided to pour WD-40, wait, try with small side cutters to catch the bolts from the outside and thin nose Result : unscrewed 2 bolts and there are 8 in total.
How to remove stripped screws – 7 different ways
Tried : Went to the store, bought some power side cutters. Before I left I poured a lot of WD-40, Result: I unscrewed three more bolts, three more bolts were left, they did not want to give way Tried : I read somewhere that you can tap on the head with a hammer, it may help the nuts come off Result: did not help
Tried : found the soldering iron at home. decided to heat it gently from the edge Result: it got so hot that it did not even burn my hand, in short a complete failure
Tried: Soaked rags in acetic acid, covered the flats overnight. Result: unscrewed another bolt, but broke the new side cutters
And it was already the second day of disassembling the carburetors, my plan was to have them assembled by this time!) But
Tried : Again to the store Bought new side cutters, even more powerful) Tool “Liquid Wrench” And as a last resort extractors and drills I decided to try to water down the liquid wrench and try again to unscrew with side cutters. If it didn’t work, I wanted to drill a small hole in the head and screw the extractor into it. The extractors have reverse threads, t.е. You screw them into the bolt and the bolt unscrews, the harder the extractor is tightened, the harder the bolt unscrews. That’s about how it works. In fact, this was already a desperate measure. I really did not want to drill the bolts!
So I poured a little liquid wrench, went to lunch, after about an hour. and a half returned to his carburetors Barely, somehow, with some incredible efforts these last two bolts managed to unscrew side cutters! I clamped the side cutters with both hands as hard as I could! Result: Yes, I did it!
That’s how complicated everything is, I honestly did not expect such a pain! Those bolts really stuck so hard that I struggled to get them to come off, and the crosses on the bolts go off with incredible ease. I’ll have to look for wrench bolts, probably better. I hope that’s helpful to someone! If anyone has any other ways, write in Комментарии и мнения владельцев! Thank you for reading! Good luck everyone and good weather, it’s raining again in Tver!
To unscrew a stuck bolt or nut, you need a ring spanner or a head, preferably with 6 facets. An ordinary wrench is likely to slip and slip on the edges and could cause injury. I don’t want to use 12- and 18-sided tools, because there is a big chance of slipping.
If the fastener is already plucked, it is worth getting a special head, which is so called for torn edges or extractor.
Using an extractor
It is possible to use an improved method, how to turn out a broken screw. with the help of an extractor. Its help is resorted to mainly when you need to unscrew a broken screw. In this case, when you unscrew it, it will not break.
Extractor is the same screwdriver, only with the difference in the form of strong and coarse iron threads located on the tip. They allow you to simply penetrate into the head of the screw and eventually unscrew it.
Types of screws
To begin with, a screw is a cylindrical rod with a special head, to which the screw groove is applied. Screws are produced by a number of regulations, including GOST 1144-80, GOST 1145-80, etc. д.
At the same time, there are two main types of hardware. these are:
For notation in this case uses the diameter and length of the screw (for example, a product with a diameter of 5 mm and length of 3.5 cm will be designated as 5×35 mm). In addition, hardware can be classified according to the shape of the slot and the features of the head itself:
All of these varieties are made with a cross shaped slot, with a straight (flat) and a Torx slot (the latter is also known as a star), as well as with an internal hexagon and other, less popular variants. There are also self-tapping screws with the head of the six-and octahedral shape (roofing), which are also made with different slots.
For your information! According to the type of thread screws are also divided into several varieties, which are determined, first of all, by the connected materials and the specific purpose (metal, wood, drywall or small household appliances).