How to wind the fishing line on a lawnmower
Installing a new fishing line on the grass trimmer reel
Equipping the spool with new fishing line is done in reverse order. The procedure looks approximately as described below, regardless of the model of lawnmower:
Step One: Securing and Laying
Fold in half the end of the fishing line. Place the workpiece over the bobbin on each side of each half of the winding area. Wrap both halves completely around the winding drum. Pull the line through the loop.
The procedure for preparing the line engagement in the area of both winding sections of the reel. The loops are placed in specially made notches, and then the line is wound in each area
Tighten the fishing line sufficiently and fit the knot into the groove made on each side of the winding drum.
Step two: winding the cutting material in sections
The next step is to wrap the fishing line around the spool, taking care. It is necessary that each half is filled with its “own” winding, evenly, without crossings. Usually you can see arrows on the body of the winding drum indicating the winding direction. Keep this point in mind when filling the spool with fishing line.
Step 3: Fitting the head assembly
Pull the line ends through the oval slots in the spool. Replace the two washers and the spring (if any) with the new elements supplied. Bend both ends of the line at right angles.
The last technical step of the line replacement process on the trimmer is to put the cover on the head and then lock it in place by applying pressure and turning it slightly.
Pass each end through the hole in the base of the winding drum. Install the spool in the inner area of the head with the spring resting. Put the cover on, align it with the base and press down gently with a slight counterclockwise rotation to put the cover on the locking tabs. This completes the replacement procedure.
How to change the line on any trimmer
Technological advances give us many opportunities to get rid of manual work. Among other things, this includes mowing the grass, which with a conventional grass trimmer required a great deal of physical effort. In modern conditions, this process is much easier, because the.к. the technique used minimizes all costs. Such devices as electro- and gasoline trimmers have firmly taken the place of indispensable aids in the horticultural work. Mowing grass with them has become more of a pastime than a hard and exhausting job.
Grass trimmers consist of an engine, a boom and an operating device, which, depending on the mowed material, can be either a mowing head or a disc mower. And if everything is more or less clear with a milling cutter, then sometimes questions arise with the nozzle. They usually appear when the line runs out.
Choice of line
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. A multipurpose line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. To find the right diameter for your mower, you can choose the following ways:
- Look for information about line thickness in the instruction manual that comes with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information on the available line diameters.
- Another option is to try and insert the cord into the outlet. If it fits through without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer Choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the line is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the motor will then overheat and will soon break down. Useful tips:
- For an electrical device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord is fine. If you can’t find it, you can use 1.6 mm fishing line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest cord is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a round section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer lines mow the lawn more evenly, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular section.
Types of line for grass trimmer Take into account that instead of using a line wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line can not be used. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will fly apart with great speed.
How to remove and disassemble the reel
Before proceeding to the process of replacing the cord, trimmer users have the need to remove and disassemble the spool. Let’s take a look at how to do this.
The grass trimmer’s mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on all models), a bobbin with cord, and a cover.
Warning! Before attempting any maintenance on the electrical unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
In trimmers, 2 variants of mowing head attachment are most often used.
To remove the grass trimmer head, you’ll need to disassemble it completely.
- To remove the cover covering the inside of the head, you must press the latches (latches) located on both sides of it.
- After removing the cover, you will see the bobbin, which must be removed from the housing. Some bobbins have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully removed so that you do not lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, in the center of the housing you will see a screw with a slot for a Phillips or flathead screwdriver. It is possible that there may be a hexagonal bolt or “star” bit.
- Using a screwdriver and selecting the appropriate bit (bit cap) you need to unscrew the screw (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and swing it in all directions to remove it from the gearbox shaft.
This variant screws the head onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to lock the shaft. For this purpose, in such trimmers, for example, in Huter and Champion devices, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 simple steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the head body and start twisting it clockwise. Turn in this direction because the thread on the shaft is to the left.
Winding the fishing line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer bobbin is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the edges. Once you have decided on the length of the cord, follow the following instructions:
- Fold the material in half so that one end of the fishing line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start winding at the center curb which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove, where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine in which direction you need to wind the line. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. This indicates the winding direction. If you can’t see any markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it in the opposite direction.
- Wash the consumable material carefully, coil to coil. Try to maintain maximum thread tension.
- When you have finished laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it in the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- Once you have secured the line, cut the ends. Remember to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Install the reel on the mowing head of the device. This is done by alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the device’s bobbin into the leather.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. After completing this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding the line on the spool Winding the cord on the grass trimmer can also be done in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. Make the change like this:
How to Replace a Pull String on a Push Mower : Lawnmower Maintenance & Repair
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole, which is designed to secure the line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
WARNING! Typical line problems
It is not for nothing that they say: “Forewarned is forearmed “. Knowing the possible problems and causes can help prevent them in time. Remember or keep a reminder.
|Problem||The reason is||Solution|
|Broken line||Stones, branches and hard objects in the grass||Avoid collision|
|Poor quality filament||Replace with an equivalent of high quality|
|Exit holes in the head are worn out||Complete part replacement required|
|The line is unwinding||The spring in the coil is loose||Check the spring and replace if damaged|
|The fishing line is sticking||Poor quality fishing line, which can melt when exposed to heat from the heated head||Reel in less fishing line or use a higher quality cord|
How to Spool a Spinning Reel | TIPS to Help Beginners!
For a better understanding of the mechanism of changing the line in the bobbin with the video guide prepared by FUBAG specialists:
What to use instead of line
Many trimmer users wonder how to replace the default cord in this kind of machine? They start to conduct unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wire, metal cables or strings, as well as ordinary fishing line into the mowing head.
How to wind the fishing line in a brushcutter
Read also: Working with a hand band saw on wood video
If you install a metal wire instead of a fishing line, the grass trimmer becomes a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the unit, the steel rope will gradually trigger, its ends will unravel, and the small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
Similar happens when using steel or copper wire, the only difference is that the pieces that break off will be larger and can cause significant injury.
And if you accidentally catch your foot or someone else’s foot when working with a wire, you’ll get a big deep cut in the tissue, and in some cases amputation of toes. The manufacturer does not use nylon for nothing, because it is quite light and durable, and when torn off it does not fly away and cannot cause injury.
Using fishing line in a trimmer instead of a standard one is certainly possible, but it will add extra hassle for you, as it wears out quickly, tears, mows slowly and is not suitable for cutting tough grass. In addition, a lot of time is wasted during work to replace a broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of a normal line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if it is made of Rabitz chain-link. In that case, to save the standard and sometimes expensive cord from wear and tear, it’s replaced with fishing line that you don’t feel sorry for. Usually, to change the cord on the line, it is necessary to pick up the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
The main characteristics of lines for trimmers are:
You can find out about the thickness of the line for your particular device if you read the performance specifications of the grass trimmer. If for some reason the specifications are lost, you can always refer to the marks on the universal bobbin. As a rule, trimmers use strings with a diameter of 1.2-4 mm. However, many devices have a different thickness of thread.
It is not forbidden to use less fishing line than declared by the manufacturer of your trimmer for grass. you do not break the tool immediately, but it will significantly increase the rate of engine wear. If the thread is thicker than necessary, in this case, the trimmer blade for grass will work in intensive mode, respectively, overheated, and after a while will break. Note that here much depends on the motor itself.
The type of motor itself makes it easy to determine the approximate size of the line. If your power tool, which is plugged in or supplied by a built-in source (a regular battery), is around 1 kW, then you should buy a line of 2 mm in thickness. When the power is less than 500W, you should use a filament no thicker than 1.6 mm.
You often try to choose a cord with a “round section” for your electric or grass trimmer. This type is very common and inexpensive. Fresh grass will be perfectly mowed with this thread. The distinctly audible noise that will be produced by a trimmer with such a line during operation is its main disadvantage. This noise level can be compared in strength to the noise of your machine’s engine. If you want to minimize the noise from the line, use spiral thread. There are still many types of cross-sectional threads for petrol or electric chainsaws with different principles of operation.
The best ones are: star-shaped, square and rectangular. The more jagged and serrated you choose, the better the line will cut.
How long you will use the fishing line depends on its composition. Most often manufacturers use nylon. The lines made of this material can withstand high temperatures without any loss of efficiency, and they are elastic, so they won’t break easily. Like high, low temperatures also do not affect nylon, the thread from this material will last you long enough.
Coaxial lines are one of the strongest lines. These threads take a very long time to wear, since they have a hard core. Its main advantages are highest strength and very low noise level (nylon lines have much higher noise level). Recently, you can find lines in which manufacturers make aluminum inserts.
Grass trimmer reel repair with your own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the fishing line, assemble and install back
Mower heads for trimmers come in a variety of designs. both simple and complex. Figure below shows a semi-automatic trimmer head from Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in a complete set the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The design of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following parts:
- the base of the trimmer head;
- a button for the semi-automatic filament feed;
- Bobbin (spool), in which the line is threaded;
- eyelets. through them, the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
All of these attachments do not allow you to change the filament length in semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.