How to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool of the lawnmower
How to install a trimmer line on an electric grass trimmer reel
On small electronic trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it’s near the ground when working), the spool usually has two buttons around the edges. Press them and disconnect one half of the spool housing from the 2nd half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also removed, on which exactly and winds up the line for the trimmer. When disassembling be careful: there is a spring inside that can be lost.
On electronic and gasoline trimmers with a bent rod (such trimmers still would not have the ability to put a knife) must be embraced by the coil body itself with one hand, and the 2nd hand should start turning counterclockwise available on it drums. Exactly he strengthens the coil to the boom trimmer for grass. Unscrewing the wing bolt, carefully remove the entire coil, taking care not to lose the spring inside.
On electronic and gasoline trimmers with a straight boom and gearbox at its end (in such trimmers for grass except for fishing line can be set to the same knife) are looking for a hole under the spool, put it in, for example, screwdriver, quietly spin the spool, until the screwdriver will penetrate deeper, and the spool will be fixed. Now we twist the entire spool clockwise (because the threads are left-handed) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Next we disassemble the spool. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted with a wingnut. if the coil is on the latches, you should press on the edges of the latches base so that they will bend and release one half of the coil body from the other half. You should just unscrew the wing bolt. There may also be a third type of connection 2-half of such a coil: it needs one hand to grab the lower part and the other. the upper, and start turning them in opposite directions. Disassembling such a spool, you must also look to not lose the spring inside.
Changing from a fishing line to a disc
Depending on the type of vegetation covering the garden plot (lawn) and requiring removal, the line for the trimmer is changed to a disc. This is necessary, since the cord is used only for grass of small height, and if you want to mow high growth, the shoots of trees or shrubs, instead of a string is better to use metal or plastic blades of discs. Correctly install them is very simple, the detailed process is usually described in the user manual and is similar for trimmers of different brands, whether Al-Co, Oleo-Mac, “Patriot” or equipment of another brand. To change the fishing line on the blades is necessary:
- lock the shaft and remove the spool by turning it clockwise;
- place the blade on the hub;
- install the locking cover and screw the nut in an anticlockwise direction, then tighten it with a wrench.
To read in detail how to change the spool of fishing line on the disk, see the instruction manual of the device.
Removing and Disassembling the Spool
To properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, you need to familiarize yourself with the structure of the trimmer head. It consists of a protective cover, a bobbin with thread, a housing cover, and a spring, which is only present in some devices.
Proceeding to the disassembly of the coil, it is necessary to completely turn off / de-energize the device. In this case, the way of carrying out the work directly depends on the type of head. The first option is to carry out the following actions:
- The user presses the latches located on both sides of the cover.
- After removing the cover, the bobbin is removed. Some models may have a spring that must also be removed.
- In the center of the housing is a screw, which should be unscrewed with an ordinary screwdriver.
- Once the fasteners have been removed, the gearbox is removed from the shaft by gently rocking the body of the product.
The second option to remove the spool for threading the line in the grass trimmer is to screw the head on the reducer shaft. For this procedure, many devices are equipped with a hole into which a tool can be inserted. When the screwdriver is inserted, the user has only to take hold of the product body and turn it clockwise. It is noteworthy that this method, unlike the previously described method, is easy to perform.
Winding the line
Threading fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material are enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the curbs. Once you have determined the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the fishing line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin with the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction you want to wind the line for your trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the spool, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. conduct winding in the opposite direction.
- Wash the loose material carefully, with the turn of the coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- After completing the laying of the cord, fasten the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. The second end (longer), attach it in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer spool.
- After securing the trimmer line, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Install the threaded bobbin to the mowing head of the device. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the exit holes of the head to place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. When you have finished, put on the cover and fasten it with the clips.
You can also wind the cord on the grass trimmer in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is performed as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole that is designed to hold the fishing line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assemble the head of the device is similar to the first method.
In order to quickly and safely change the line on the mower spool, safety precautions must be followed. While removing the spool to wind the line for the trimmer on the lawnmower, it is necessary to disconnect the technique from the power supply (if the mower runs on electricity). Here we would like to mention the rating of electric lawn mowers on reliability, which helps to choose a safe helper.
Another important safety rule that must be observed is to press the locking button. There is an option to know its location on the machine with the help of the instruction manual. You can find, for example, the manual gasoline lawnmower operating manual here.
Don’t forget that the cutting element needs to be adjusted. There is an adjustment button on the body of the unit. If the process does not start automatically and the thread tension is loosened, then the button is clamped and the line for the trimmer is forcefully pulled out of the spool.
How the line head works on the brushcutter, why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. on the head of the manual type. The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a spool, which is mounted on slits preventing its free movement
- The spool is actuated by a spring, which presses it to the slits in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the need to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slits. At the same time the line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of line, you should release the clamp, and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of the tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, in comparison with metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and motor of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting blades.
Knowing the construction and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the point at which most owners of special tools cause difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
How to put a chain instead of a fishing line on a grass trimmer
You can additionally “pump” the unit to mow not only grass, but also weeds and young growth. No need for expensive tools or special skills. As they say all ingenious things are simple!
- chain from an old chainsaw;
- bent inside the cup, which is used to attach the grass trimmer knives;
- A washer and a nut;
- A vise, a marker, and a ruler;
- Welding machine;
- metal drills.
The length from the ends of the chain to the washer must be the same.
How to put a line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling mowing spool cutting filament for grass trimmer. an easy task, but beginners gardeners will have to practice a little, so that in the future to be able to quickly insert the cord in the available household trimmer for grass.
There are only a few ways to thread the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the simplest, and is well suited for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in this sequence:
- First, it will be necessary to rewind about 6 m of line from the common spool for the grass trimmer, then cut the resulting section in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then at one end of the first segment will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, you need to start winding the line on the spool in the direction of the arrow. During winding it is necessary to make sure that the line for the trimmer lies evenly on the surface of the bobbin, and does not extend beyond its upper section. Do not wind up to the end of the segment, about 15 cm of thread should remain in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, the same procedure must be done with the second piece of fishing line. It is necessary to wind it on the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, winding the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end is not necessary. The remaining piece of thread must be inserted in the second groove of the bobbin.
After the performed operation, the spool will need to be installed on the grass trimmer and wind it up. To check the reliability of the thread fastening, you will need to press the throttle lever to the end, so that the engine has reached maximum revolutions. If a trimmer line doesn’t fly out of the head, it means the trimmer line is secure and won’t fly out of the mowing reel when cutting the grass.
Working with such tools as trimmers for grass requires caution and attentiveness. Safety precautions during operation are mandatory for beginners and experienced mowers. It happens that confident trimmers lose their guard, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. That is why it is important when working with the machine
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Never reel in more line than it’s supposed to be reeled in. it’s hard to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel be sure to check that the tool works before mowing.
- Choose the right material for the right trimmer.
Do not attempt to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. That’s what steel discs are for. Wear protective clothing only. Wear glasses and appropriate footwear.