Installing a line on a brushcutter
Reels (heads) for trimmers
The mowing heads with the lines placed in them, along with the knives and discs, are included in the list of cutting accessories for trimmers. The main function of the heads, or as they are often called coils, is to mow the grass quickly and accurately. There are different kinds of heads on the market today. All of them are divided mainly according to the principle of feeding and charging the line. This classification makes it possible to choose the optimal mowing head for almost any novice gardener.
Most amateur and household trimmers are distinguished by a simple device. They consist of a motor, a boom in which there is a flexible or rigid drive shaft, a handle and a cutting organ, the role of which is often played by the grass trimmer head. According to the principle of filament feeding, heads are divided into the following types:
- Manual. this type of mowing head is so called because the cutting line is fed manually. Each time it is necessary to lengthen the line for the trimmer, the operator must stop working with the trimmer and pull it out mechanically. This brings its own inconveniences, but it is this type of device that is considered the most popular among gardeners. Manual reels differ from their counterparts by durability and low prices;
- Semi-automatic. with this type of head, you can extend the cord by pressing the head to the ground. During this, a button is pressed, which activates the anchoring mechanism. It produces a centrifugal force that pushes the filament outward. A semi-automatic grass trimmer head has one important advantage. you do not need to stop working with the brushcutter when using it, because you can extend the cord for the trimmer while the engine is running. The only disadvantage. semi-automatic cutting headsets cost a little more than manual reels;
- Automatic. this type of standard tool is easy to operate. To extend the brushcutter line, all the operator has to do is slow down the engine speed of the brushcutter. Automatic factory coil for grass trimmer differs from its counterparts in the simplicity of operation. Nevertheless, the for this type of headset are the highest on the market.
Each of the listed types of cutters is suitable for use in certain conditions. Handheld heads are best used in areas with hard obstacles. The low cost of this type of headset will give you the opportunity to buy several manual heads at once, and take turns changing them as they fail. Automatic models, on the contrary, are quite expensive, so they are best used for the care of clean areas.
Disassembling the head
The first thing to do is to disassemble the mowing head. For convenience, it can be removed from the grasshopper. Externally, the head consists of two parts connected by two latches on the sides. They just need to be pressed down and the design disengages.
To wind the cord, you need to take a spool. It often has inscriptions with information about what diameter of line for the trimmer can be put.
Which line to choose for your trimmer
Before you stock up on this material for the grass trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called circular trimmer line is not the only type that exists. So, how do you choose the most appropriate one?? First of all, you need to determine the working conditions.
Choice by type. Circular trimmer lines are the most common. It will fit any reel, with very few exceptions. This type of consumables is suitable for mowing fresh, juicy grass. But here with the mowing of so-called dead wood such a kind can no longer cope. Trying to mow shrubs with this line is pointless to even mention.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. They are usually made in a “star” or “square” pattern. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and the key difference between these threads.
It is because of this feature that these types of filaments are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-edged threads are not without disadvantages, the main of which are fast wear and tear and the strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
Apart from the already mentioned types of lines, there are other interesting and frequently encountered varieties. Particularly noteworthy among them are fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. Threads of this type are often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Yarns with a metal core come in both round cross-section and with sharp edges. Regardless of the type of cross-section, such threads are best suited to overcome plants that are difficult to mow. Threads belonging to this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables by their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this peculiarity has more than a noticeable influence on the price of this type. The cost of a cord with a core is much higher than the cost of other kinds of threads.
Choosing by thickness
You should also pay special attention to the thickness of the material. A filament with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is good for young grass mowing. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and rougher the weeds it can manage.
There is a “but” when choosing a line by thickness. It is important not only to assess the material capabilities, but also to take into account the peculiarities of the grass trimmer. It is necessary to look in the user’s manual that comes with the tool and find information about the requirements for the cutting element.
Using the wrong filament can lead to tool malfunction. Using too thick a thread will overload the engine of the device. And using too thin thread will increase the wear and tear of the torque mechanism many times over.
That’s why the choice of consumable material should be approached with no less responsibility than its threading in the trimmer for grass. When a suitable line for the trimmer is found and purchased, you can begin to consider how to wind it on the spool.
Winding the fishing line
It is not difficult to insert the trimmer line into the grass trimmer. To perform this operation it is necessary to follow a simple algorithm. The first step is to determine how much consumable material is needed. To make its calculations, you need to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool so that the resulting coil would be less than or equal to the diameter of the sides of the structure.
When you have decided on the size of the cord, you need to fold it so that one part of it was longer than the other by 15 cm. Winding the cord begins from the side that divides the bobbin into two parts. Here will be located the fastener, in which you need to insert the thread, bent in half.
Now you need to understand in what direction to tuck the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass. To do this, you need to inspect the bobbin. often a special arrow is indicated on it. If there is no explanatory information, you should find the pointer on the trimmer head, and start winding in the opposite direction. The next steps can be divided into 4 steps:
- Finishing winding the cord. To do this, it is inserted into the side groove on the reel. Attach the other end to the opposite groove.
- The ends of the fixed line are cut off. There should be 7-10 cm of seam allowance left over.
- The tucked part is placed in the head of the grass trimmer. This is done by alternately inserting and pulling up the thread into the entry holes of the structure.
- Thread is pulled out of the grooves. Once the action is completed, the product cover is secured with the clamps.
After completing the last step, the garden tool is ready to work. If after inserting a line into the grass trimmer the device does not work properly, it is recommended to repeat the procedure, changing the thickness or type of cord. Otherwise the product can fail.
Choosing a line for the trimmer
the trimmer line must be strong, stiff and flexible. it is the working tool of the trimmer to cut the grass. The lines are available in various thicknesses from 1,2 mm to 4,0 mm. Most models are designed for a maximum filament thickness of 3 mm. Which diameter of line is best for your grass trimmer depends on several factors.
The hardness of the cut vegetation:
It is important to consider that too thin thread accelerates wear of the motor, too rough. will accelerate its overheating and premature failure.
The cord structure of the line is important:
- round. universal, the most durable, for coarse grass
- shaped. for soft grass;
- twisted with notches. for thin long stems.
Important! Choose a line for the trimmer of the type and parameters recommended by the brushcutter manufacturer. Such material will work long and well with optimum loads on the motor of the product.
How to insert a line into the trimmer for grass trimmer?
Filling the mowing spool cutting filament for grass trimmer. an easy task, but beginners gardeners will have to practice a little in order to later be able to quickly insert the cord in the existing household trimmer for grass.
There are only a few ways to refill the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest and is ideal for novice gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the reel in the following sequence:
- First you need to unwind about 6 m of line from the common spool for grass trimmer, then cut the resulting section in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then on one of the ends of the first section will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the upper part of the bobbin;
- Next, you need to start winding the line on the bobbin in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line for the trimmer lies evenly on the surface of the bobbin, and does not go beyond its upper section. It is not necessary to reel the thread to the end, you should have about 15 cm of thread in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the notches located in the upper part of the bobbin;
- Then the same procedure should be done with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound onto the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, it is not necessary to wind the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end. The remaining piece of thread must be inserted in the second slot of the bobbin.
After the operation, the spool will need to be installed on the grass trimmer and start it. To check that the thread is securely fastened, you will need to push the throttle lever all the way down so that the engine reaches maximum rpm. If the trimmer line does not fly out of the head, it means that the trimmer line is held securely, and during mowing the grass it will not fly out of the mowing spool.
Working with machinery like grass trimmers requires care and attention. For beginners and experienced mowers alike, safety precautions during mowing are a must. It often happens that self-confident trimmers lose their guard, make irreparable errors and get seriously injured. That’s why it’s important when working with the machine
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Never reel in more line than necessary: it’s difficult to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, always check that the tool works properly before mowing.
- Choose quality material that is suitable for the particular trimmer.
Do not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear safety glasses and proper footwear.
How to remove the brushcutter reel and change the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused and bordering on panic when they need to change cutting tools or line in the trimmer reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before inserting the line into the filament reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injury from unintentional starting of the cutting attachment.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver.