Installing the fishing line on the grass trimmer reel
A fishing line. varieties and the possibility of replacing with another material
Grass trimmer cord can be of different diameters (from 1.2 to 4 mm), and you need to choose it depending on what kind of vegetation you want to mow. the thicker the line, the more coarse grass it will cope with. Experienced users recommend a 2 mm thick line, which is an all-purpose line.
The line shape can be round (for lush grass) or with sharp square or star-shaped edges (for mowing dry grass). The second type is less strong and wears out faster than round cord.
One of the popular questions about the operation of trimmers is whether the special mower cord can be replaced with other materials, such as metal or steel cables and strings, wire, etc.д. You should know that the installation of such items is not recommended, because together with them the grass trimmer turns into a dangerous technique. During mowing, pieces of wire or metal will constantly break off and fly in different directions, risking injury to the person working. And if you accidentally touch their limbs while working, a serious injury is ensured.
Owners of trimmers, wondering whether you can use fishing line, we answer. it is allowed, but it will tear and wear out much faster, and therefore require frequent replacement.
Tip! Fishing line is well suited to harvesting grass near a fence or metal mesh. instead of wasting expensive trimmer cord, you can charge a large-caliber tackle (2-3 mm), which costs much less.
Performing a fishing line reel
Slowly completed disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the line into the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of.
Reel with one operating tendril
The easiest variant and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The size of the bobbin and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- The line is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer. usually an arrow on the inside of the reel shows in which direction the line is wound.
- A small section of fishing line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the bobbin.
- Half of the bobbin is assembled and put on the rod of the trimmer.
Bobbin with two working whiskers
In this type of bobbin you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases a 2-3 m fishing line is taken. In single-strand spools the line is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then reeled in the opposite direction to the bobbin rotation direction. inside there is usually an arrow indicating the correct reeling direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through or held by the fingers of your free hand, threaded through the through hole in the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and secured to the trimmer bar.
The difference between winding the line in a double-stranded spool is that initially a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both line filaments are wound on their own groove, fixing of filaments and spool assembling is similar to above version with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure may seem lengthy and quite time consuming, but with time and experience, this task will be solved more quickly and easily.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the line into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is not complicated and with some patience is sure to be successful:
FixCut and DuroCat mowing heads
Two other simple models for mowing and clearing. Compatible with a range of strings of different sizes and shapes, which are inserted by hand. The DuroCat, contrary to the FixCut, allows you to use not only two but also four lines: the positions of the lines on this head are indicated by arrows.
Both versions differ radically from previous versions in that the cutting lines in this design are simply inserted from the outside. Therefore, the question “How to wind the line on the grass trimmer” for the owners of the relevant devices is not quite relevant. With the FixCut, you don’t have to unwrap and disassemble the head. This is due to the fact that it is not equipped with a spool at all.
This version only needs up to 20 cm of stringline. A line can be changed only when the engine is turned off.
- Hold the mowing head in your hand so that one hole is free. Take out the line and insert it into the side opening. You must overcome resistance and push the line in deeper. Slide it through so that it appears in the center hole of the body by literally 1-2 centimeters. The trimmer cord should protrude on the inside so that the used part can be easily removed later.
- Tuck the second string into the opposite hole using the same procedure. Try pulling the line back in. it should be securely locked. The filament head can now be inserted back into the grass trimmer.
How to Feed a Filament into an Inseparable Grass Trimmer Reel
The main element of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. The filament (filament) is fed in. The heads differ in the feeding and threading of the filament. There are three types of heads in all:
- Automatic. The filament is fed afterwards as the user reduces the engine speed. The automatic filament feeder is particularly useful when a large volume of work needs to be completed. Minus of such head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-Automatic. Using this head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulations. The way it works is that the line is extended automatically while the grass trimmer works at full speed. You just need to tap lightly on the ground with the head of the device (this removes the blocking of the line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force comes forward from the bobbin. Then the line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the guard.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you need to stop the machine. After that, the line will need to be pulled by hand.
Types of trimmer reels
How to wind the line on the Hammer grass trimmer reel
The grass trimmer is the most common machine used to cut grass and cut small bushes. This machine has its own ease of maintenance, easy operation in its time of operation, and thanks to its low weight, even ladies can handle it. It is clear to everyone that high-quality execution of works on grass mowing requires proper selection of cutting tools. For the latter, trimmers use special cutting nozzles (disks, knives) or trimmer head with a line inside. Nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, if blades can be sharpened, it is necessary to change them when using up the line. Here’s how to change the line very carefully.
Cutter head for the grass is a cylindrical body, which is inserted spool (bobbin) with a tucked here the line (cord). This construction can be installed on both gasoline and electronic trimmers. Heads differ in the method of filing and filing cord and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The filament is fed if the user lowers the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is comfortable, if you make a huge amount of work, these bobbins have one drawback. a large consumption of thread.
- Automatic. The introduction of this type of head does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their work is designed so that the cord is extended automatically, like the office, when the machine is working at full speed. Simply bump the head of the grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line due to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to a suitable length with a knife placed on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord it is necessary to stop the machine, after that the line is extended manually.
Of the parameters of the above, automatic spools are the best option. Also note that grass trimmer spools come in one-stranded (used only for trimming grass) and two-stranded, which are used to mow the highest grass and small, thin trunks of shrubs.
How To Spool A Fishing Reel. put line on your reel!
Before you begin the process of changing the filament, trimmers should remove and disassemble the spool. Let’s look at how to do this.
Grass trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: cover, spring (not in many models), spool with cord and cover.
Warning! Before proceeding to any action to service the electronic unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
Most trimmers use 5 types of mowing head attachment.
To remove the grass trimmer head, you will need a complete disassembly.
To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you need to put pressure on the latches (latches) that are 2 sides of her.
In this version, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you will need to lock the shaft. For this purpose, you have in similar trimmers, such as in devices Huter and Champion, foreseen hole through which to stick or certainly a narrow screwdriver or an iron bar.
What you need to remove the bobbin, do the 2 normal steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the head body and start twisting it clockwise. Twist in this direction should be based on the circumstances that the thread, tapped on the shaft, left.
What is the term of the project, what model trimmer for grass is used, choose the type, thickness and length of the line. You will like the filament cross section from 1.3.5 to 4mm. Not hard to guess that the thicker you tuck the cord, the tougher and thicker grass, he is able to cut.
Almost always use a universal line with a cross section of 4 mm.
If you set out to find out what kind of line cross-section you’re using on your mower, there are 3 methods.
- Look at the information on cord thickness in the machine’s manual.
- Look at the bobbin itself. There is information on the surface of the bobbin about the likely diameter of the fishing line.
- Stick the line into the exit hole. If it fits through there without much difficulty, then cord of that cross section can be used.
The fishing line is wound onto the spool inside the mowing head. Therefore, first necessary to open it (about this solution was mentioned above). There are four.5 methods of winding the cord.
To correctly find how many meters of fishing line will be needed for a particular spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin in such a way that the roll does not exceed the cross-section of edges. If the line will be peeking out over the edges of the spool, you can not stick it in the casing. If you have decided on the length of the material, it must be tucked into the bobbin, so do the following.
- You need to fold the line in half, so that one end was longer by 10-15 cm from the other.
- Note that the bobbin is divided into 3.5 part of the central rib, which begins charging. Find the groove on it and stick the cord there, bent in half, using a small amount of force.
- It is of fundamental importance to find in which direction the line is wound on the spool. If you look closely, you have the option of finding an arrow or inscription on the bobbin indicating which direction the winding should be conducted. There are cases when there is no arrow on the spool. Under these circumstances, look for the arrow drawn on the mowing head, and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done gently, coil to coil, with the greatest possible tension of the thread.
- If the cord laying is completed, it will be necessary to secure the small end of the line at first by inserting it into the matching cross-sectional groove on the side of the reel.
- The 2nd end, the longer one, is fastened in the groove on the back of the bobbin.
- After fixing the line, cut the ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next insert the thread spool into the mowing head. For this purpose, alternately inserting and pulling the thread through the output and holiday holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line from the fixing grooves and pull it.
- Now of course put on the cover and fasten it with the clips.
Some spools have a 2nd method of securing the cord: it is possible to charge 2.7 lengths of string, instead of one book, folded in half. The filament is changed by the following method.
- In advance of changing or otherwise loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters of thread will be needed using the method discussed above.
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- Find a hole on the day of the bobbin, created to secure the thread and stick the end of the thread bent in a loop.
- Wind the cord in the direction of the arrow up to the required level, not exceeding the cross-section of the spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin case.
- Assembly of the head does not differ from the method that was discussed when we considered the threading of the bobbin folded in half a length of fishing line.
For brushcutter brand Shtil there is a very conventional and sharp method of changing the line without disassembling the mowing head, join the option to watch this video.
The ends of the cord sticking out of the holes in the guard can be cut to the desired length, already when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are of course 2 methods of doing this:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (as it rotates, the ends of the line will be cut on the blade fixed to this purpose on the guard);
- by cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the body of the housing.
The 2nd method is used when a cordset trimmer is used in a trimmer when a very large cord cross-section has to be used and the trimming blade cannot cut it.
If the line is charged into the mowing head, unfortunately the length of the projecting line ends is not long enough, before starting the machine, they must be lengthened. this applies to a mowing head with manual adjustment. But there are also cases when an automatic mowing head is used and the ends of the filament cannot be extended by the machine because the length of the exposed filament is insufficient. Then you need to turn off the unit (an electronic device must be required to pull the plug out of the socket), manually press the button on the bottom of the detail, and pull the little fishing line. After this procedure, the cord will again be able to move out due to the centrifugal force, if you put the highest spindle speed.
Whatever thickness of line you put, you should keep in mind: not to interrupt the work constantly, not to change the cord, you should avoid areas where the tool touches hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry twigs, etc.).д.).
Some trimmer users wonder how to change the filament, which is usually used in this type of machine? Begin to carry out dangerous experiments, installing in the mower head iron as it is also called copper wire, iron rope or strings, also ordinary fishing line.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the grass trimmer is converted into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that in the time of operation of the unit, the metal cord will be triggered evenly, its ends untangle, and the small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
Similar happens with the use of metal or copper wire, only with the difference that pieces come off will be larger, and there are variations to cause substantial injury.
If you accidentally snag his or someone else’s foot, working with a machine with an iron cord (wire), the strong and deepest cut tissue, and sometimes amputation of the toes for you secured. The manufacturer does not use nylon for nothing, because it is quite light and strong, and when torn away far away does not fly away can not cause injury.
Use a fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard, of course, of course, but it will add for you unnecessary moroka, as it soon wears out, tears, mows slowly to cut a tough grass is not suitable. In addition, the work loses the extra time for the replacement of the broken tool at any time.
Actually, the installation of an ordinary fishing line is justified if the user is going to mow grass near the fence, especially if it is made of Rabitz chain-link. Here, in order to save a standard and from time to time expensive cord from wear and tear, it is changed to a fishing line which cannot be spared. Usually, to change the cord on the line, it is necessary to pick up its greater thickness. 2-3 mm.
When beautifying a summer cottage, park areas and other places where you want to mow any plants, it is often necessary to change the trimmer cutting tool. This is dictated by the fact that the standard cord, installed in the mowing head, can only handle grass. However, when on the way of the worker there are bushes or young growth of trees, the fishing line has no right to cope with such a task, and it is necessary to change it for a more effective cutting tool.
Russian car industry trimmers have provided for such situations, and complemented their products with a lot of nozzles in the form of knives with multiple “petals” or a type of circular saw-like disk.
If you replace the line with a knife with a few “petals”, whether it’s higher grass or plants with thick and dry trunks. And by changing the line on the disk, the user can easily cut bushes or small trees.
Blades and discs are installed by the following method.
- it is immediately necessary to remove the mowing head by locking the shaft (turn clockwise) or the nut and the dust cap if the machine hasn’t been used yet.
- Set the saw or else the cutting blade in such a way that they are dressed on a small ledge (sleeve).
For better understanding of the tool change process, look for this video.
Users of trimmers, both gasoline and electronic, have problems with the cord. “Advanced ” owners of mowing machines can effortlessly handle the difficulties they encounter, understanding why this is happening, but for beginners it’s a hassle without an optimal explanation. But as a matter of fact, it is quite easy for our client. The most common problems with the line are.
If the line tears often, it may be caused by the following conditions:
- Pebbles, small twigs and other hard obstacles in the grass;
- The user mows the grass close to the fence, if it is mesh, it is even faster to rip “tendrils”;
- Poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to buy a high quality);
- outlet openings in the mowing head are worn out, that’s why the line is rubbed against the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks (a complete replacement is needed).
Select the spool of the lawnmower (brushcutter). Trimmer head or electric trimmer bobbin with fishing line
In general, the cord ends quickly, if often knocked on the ground with an automatic head, or very it is pressed down. The reel is unblocked, and the line, extending, is cut with a knife. One more reason why the cords run out quickly is wrong use of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine rpm when mowing. But as we remember the automatic head is designed so that exactly at each reduction of rotation a new portion of line is fed, so it is quickly consumed.
It can happen that the cord unwinds if the spring in the automatic head is loose. The line is continuously pulled out and cut by the blade mounted on the hood, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn the machine on. If the line “went”, it will be necessary to change the spring.
A precondition for the filament unwinding after the machine has been started is also if the spring inside the head is loose. And in addition, there are cases, when the mowing head breaks when turning on the machine, and the spring, installed here, is missing. Inexperienced users do not notice the spring absence and assemble the assembly without it. That’s why the cord does not hold and the centrifugal force causes it to fly out.
The automatic or automatic head should feed the line without stopping the machine. If it does not come out, the prerequisites will be as follows:
- The line is not wound correctly in the spool, so it does not spin;
- the cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between the coils (the thread should be wound carefully, coil to coil, without skewing);
- very short ends of the thread come out of the holes, for this reason there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line is not fed (it is recommended before starting the machine to always adjust the length of the cord by slightly tightening it);
- the line is stuck together (to be discussed later).
This problem occurs in most cases due to the use of bad cord. During operation, the head of the grass trimmer is heated, and the bad line melts there, sticking to each other. Also the sintering of the threads occurs when the line meets a tough obstacle. Then there is a sharp braking cord, after which it is pulled into the head, where it and sticks. Some machine owners advise to oil the cord with mineral oil or spray it with silicone spray after winding it on the bobbin. Others recommend winding less line on the spool. Alas, it is better to take a high quality product, which at the stage of production the manufacturer took into account the factor of overheating the head, and the thread will not stick.
How to wind the line onto the grass trimmer spool. User Manual
Good afternoon, dear user of gardening equipment. My name is Nikita Hlintsov, I’m a specialist in Foresta gardening equipment. Over the years, I have regularly heard questions from friends and novice colleagues: “How to tuck the line into a grass trimmer?”, “This is the third time I’ve reeled in a line, and it still falls off. What to do?”and so on.
This post will answer the question of how to correctly replace the line in an electric mower or brushcutter (modern gardeners use the term “grass trimmer“).
The procedure is the same, regardless of the manufacturer of garden equipment. I will say right away that we will talk only about threading the line for grass, and we will not consider high-grass cutters, serrated and paddle knives. You can see examples of these trimmer kits here: https://dnipro-m.ua/sadovo-parkovaya-tehnika/trimmery/
Preparing to change the line
Before replacing the fishing line, you must remove and then disassemble the head. Usually it includes a guard, spring (on some models), bobbin with a fishing line, cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric trimmer for grass (or plug the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove it from the gearbox shaft, on which it is attached.
find the locks on both sides, press and remove the cap to reveal the inside of the head;
under the cover is the bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the housing (sometimes under it hides a spring, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- After removing the bobbin, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes visible in the center of the housing, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- After removing the fasteners, you must hold the body and with a rocking motion remove the spool from the gearbox shaft.
The second method involves the following steps. The head of the reel is put on the gearbox shaft. In order to undo the bobbin, this shaft must be secured. Usually a hole is made in the scythes, e.g. Champion or STIHL, into which a nail, rod or screwdriver can be inserted. After locking the shaft in a stationary position, you must, holding the housing, start turning the head clockwise, as the thread on the shaft is usually applied to the left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, it is necessary to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the appropriate diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the user manual or on the bobbin itself, usually such information is indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the string goes without difficulty, it can be used to work.
Classification by cord charging method
Another important factor is the principle of charging the line into the mowing head. According to this factor, the following kinds of reels are found on the market:
- fast. this type of attachment does not require the operator to remove the headset from its base in order to charge it. It is sufficient to gently slip the cord to the center of the spool and wrap it around the base several times. This is convenient and, in addition, saves a lot of time;
- collapsible. this type of reel needs to be disassembled to change the cord. Beginning gardeners may have problems with this procedure, but once you have gained the necessary experience, charging the head will be much faster in the future.
As practice shows, for the novice gardener, the best thing is a fast reel on the grass trimmer. It stands out for its durability and can be used extensively in areas with lots of hard obstacles.
Line and Patriot spool: How to get them together
If you find yourself on this page, you probably have a question: “how do you wind the line on a Patriot spool? I’ll try to explain, based on my limited experience as a weed whacker. I hope this story will help you avoid my mistakes and save your nerves. And the time saved will go on mowing tall grass.
But before I tell you the secret, a few words about how I tried to reel it in. No time to read? Then the answer is a few paragraphs below. You can go by this tag
One day the factory line ran out in the middle of the lot. Gotta finish it off, so I’m off to get a new skein. I’ll be tucking it in. By the way, I remember what the salesman said about how to make this operation. We didn’t dwell on this point in detail. He said something about it being hard to disassemble. I nodded my head and said, “Uh-huh. Eh, I should have tortured him and recorded everything.
The first thing I do is remove the head from the grass trimmer. I use a hexagon to fix the shaft. I unscrew it clockwise. The thread is left-handed.
You have to take the head apart. But from which side to approach? I see two petals that say Push. Trying to push. Do not give in. I arm myself with a screwdriver with a thin wide slot. After 10-15 minutes the cap appears before me in the disassembled form. You can exhale.
The Patriot trimmer head has four parts. One of them is the spool with the two troughs. She is a bobbin. It’s where the line will be wound. The question is how to do it. In my inexperience, I used to bend the line in half and start winding with a loop, just by sticking it in one of the troughs. Then lead it through the fixing slots in the edge and assemble the head.
It was important to choose the right winding direction. If I reeled it clockwise, the fishing line would fly right off. If counterclockwise, it was possible to mow for a while. But in the process, the fishing line quickly expended. I realized I was wrong about the winding.
Two minutes spent on youtube solved the problem. Turns out there is a through hole through the bobbin. It goes along the diameter. The line goes through it and slips further through. The bobbin should be in the middle of the line. The lengths of both ends are aligned and made equal.
Below are a few pictures to explain the process.
Recall how the patriot grass head trimmer looks like. Orange body and gray drum. After many thousands of revolutions, the round workaholic loses its dressy look.
It’s the bobbin that sits inside. Also in orange.
The task is to find the hole and slip the line through it.
The final step is to assemble: put the bobbin and the spring in place, put the line into the feeding holes, put the head body parts together and click. That leaves the easiest one. twist the knob. Arrow points to winding direction.
If you do it without disassembling the spool, you need to align the arrow on the wingnut with the triangles on the orange housing. Then the hole on the coil will be just along the gray wingnut arrow and aligned with the outputs on the body at the edges. Then I could pull the line through. However, this option did not work for me. The line was stubbornly holding on to something. So I did the disassembly of the head described above.
The line slowly went in, leaving two short whiskers.
Screwed the nozzle to the trimmer. I start the engine. I’m off to test it now. Full throttle and first pass. The line is in place. Reeled off a full tank. The thread didn’t fly off again.
How long to reel in the line?
In my patriot reel I had about 10 meters of 3 mm cord. To be more precise, you need to wind the fishing line under the edges. The last time I bought a tackle on Ozone. Chose a thickness of 2.4 mm. I think there’s more in it: twelve will do it for sure.
This is my feedback on the spool of Syat fishing line from Ozone
Got it to replace the old Echo. The thickness of the button was 3mm. The new Siatt’s for 2.4 mm. The cross-sectional shape is rectangular. Soft. Easy to wind. It’s easy to mow. Not suitable for thicker chips, but works well with medium-sized grass.
What the manual says
The information we need is on page eight.
Remove any excess line before threading in the new one. You do this by pressing the two push-lock fasteners on the back of the spool and open the spool. After removing the residue, reassemble the reel in reverse order.
Turn the central button, align the direction of the arrow on the button with the output holes in the housing.
Measure out about 4m of trimmer line and push it through either of the two outlets until it exits from the opposite outlet. The two lengths of line coming out of the spool should be about the same.
Spool the line by turning the button clockwise. The direction of rotation for winding the line is additionally indicated on the reel body.
I’ll run through the basic steps I took to wind the fishing line onto the Patriot spool. The main part naturally follows the instructions. The only difference is that I took the head apart.
- Remove the trimmer head
- Take the head apart to get access to the coil
- Determine how much fishing line you need by winding it onto the spool underneath
- Slide the fishing line through the hole in the spool so that it splits in half
- Reassemble the head
- Wind the line with the thumbwheel clockwise
- Turn the knob hand away from the triangles on the housing
In the next post I will tell you what oil I put in my Patriot and how I make the fuel mixture.
Changing lines in your trimmer!
Many dacha owners use a grass trimmer to control weeds. a scythe with an electric or gasoline engine. the grass trimmer is convenient for working in hard-to-reach places: near fences, flowerbeds, houses, in the garden on narrow row-spacing. The main element of a trimmer is a simple line wound on a spool. The device is simple, but the cutting part quickly wears out and requires replacement.
Depending on the tool, the line thickness is 1,2-4 mm.
There are such varieties:
- circular. the strongest;
- shaped. for soft grass;
- coiled or notched. for thin grass;
- professional-grade, not suitable for all models of the tool.
When replacing the cutting line, you need to choose exactly the right one for your type of grass trimmer. It is necessary to give preference to a specialized line, it is of higher quality, it will last longer and will not break the tool. The thickness of the line is calculated by the manufacturer on the basis of the engine power.
Before tucking the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel, it is better to soak it in water for half an hour, then it will become more elastic and stronger.
Non-automatic single-twist spool
Semi-automatic single-section spool with 2 tendrils
Semi-automatic bi-automatic spool with 2 tendrils
All modern trimmer heads have three types of line feed:
Bobbin must be removed before changing filament. How you remove it depends on your tool.
On trimmers with a motor near the ground the spool has two side buttons which, when pressed, detach part of the body along with the device for winding the thread. On tools with a bent bar, the wing nut on the attachment is moved counterclockwise; disconnecting it removes both the bobbin and the spring inside it.
With straight-boom trimmers, fix it with a screwdriver, turn it clockwise, and remove it. Then the device is disassembled either with the help of latches or by moving its parts in different directions. The spring is removed from the spool.
In the case of a device with one tendril unwind up to four meters of fishing line, insert one end of it into the hole inside it, which fixes the line, and move in the direction indicated by the arrow. The edge of the thread is fixed in the groove inside the bobbin, so that when it is assembled, it will not unwind. If there is no groove, this free end is secured with a finger. Then the spool is assembled.
In the case of a grass trimmer reel with two tendrils.
In this case, check how many grooves it has. one or two.
In the first case both tendrils are directed into the common groove, if there are two, then each of them. into its own groove. 2-4 meters of fishing line are passed through the hole so that the free edges of the line are the same length, and spin the spool according to the pointer arrow. Insert the ends of the thread into the grooves or hold them with a finger, assemble the device and fasten it to the trimmer.
In a spool with two grooves, the same piece of thread is folded into a loop, put in the groove between them and wind the ends simultaneously. Then the previous assembly is repeated.
Methods of automatic and semi-automatic line feed are more convenient for the user.
With a semi-automatic winding reel, the line is passed through the hole located inside, its ends are fixed in the holes on the body, collect it and press the button. The most important thing is to observe the direction in which you thread the line. The line is then easily wound in the right direction.
How to replace the gut/line on your edge trimmer or weed eater
It is important to remember that the cutting surface must be protected from hard objects so that it does not wear out.
What kind of fishing line is used for grass trimmer?
The fishing line comes in several kinds:
- The most durable is the rounded one;
- For mowing soft vegetation. shaped;
- For mowing thin grass. with notches;
- Special. Suitable for certain types of grass trimmers.
The type of cross-section of the line should correspond to the vegetation to be mowed.
If it is necessary to change the line, you must pick up exactly the kind that is recommended by the manufacturer of this particular model of grass trimmer, that is, the thickness of the cutting thread must fit the power of the engine and the size of the unit.
It is best to choose a specialized cutting filament. It is worth to soak the fishing line for a while, if it is planned to replace it in the reel.
After soaking, it becomes elastic and stronger.
The cutting line can be made of different components. The most common among them. nylon.
This material is highly wear-resistant, able to withstand various temperatures and high loads.
Nylon fishing line can be stored for a long time, it does not dry out and does not lose its strength.
That’s why its service life can be quite long.
Reels or heads for brushcutter have different structure:
Replacing a Weed Eater String (String Trimmer Line) | The Home Depot
- Single string. In the modification of such a grass trimmer there is only one working line. Such a unit is mainly used for small jobs, such as trimming grass.
- Two-string. Can be both automatic and semi-automatic. Here, two strings are included. Such a grass trimmer is used for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions on how to properly wind the cutting line on the spool of the grass trimmer:
- The first thing to do is to disassemble the head. To do this press the catch and twist the cover to the side. Next, the bobbin is removed.
- Measure the right amount of cutting thread and insert it into the slot.
- Wind the line on both sides in the direction of the arrow.
- The 15 cm long ends should be left unwound.
- These ends are inserted into opposite slots.
- Then the ends are fastened in the hole on the head.
- After that, carefully insert the bobbin into the body, to do this, you need to press it lightly.
- If necessary, you can pull out the remaining ends of the thread. To do this, first pull one end of the thread and then the other so they can easily pass through the slots in the head.
- Now assemble the slots in the body and close the lid.
- After that, squeeze the bobbin and try to spin it as far as it will go. If you hear a click, it means the bobbin has clicked into place.
- Next, you need to pull the loose ends of the thread to the end.
Grass trimmer spool repair with your own hands
Grass trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only true solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places, with which the wheeled lawnmower fails to cope. As a cutting tool in trimmers are used metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the grass trimmer spool. But unfortunately trimmer heads wear out over time. Some faults can be repaired with your own hands, but some require complete replacement of the mowing head.