Lawnmower starter cord replacement
Starter for power tillers. the device of manual and electric
Motor blocks are known for their design features. In particular, by the fact that for their use two starters are used at once. Auxiliary or spring starter helps the main one to start properly and quickly. But if the auxiliary starter suddenly fails, you have to think about how to repair the manual starter. Perhaps even with your own hands.
By the way, the spring version is not the only. The manual starter on a single axle tractor is quite common, it is common in Russia. It is much easier to use. It is easier to install, even if done by the user with their own hands. It is quite uncomplicated:
- Drum housing;
- a spring, or rather, two springs: a big one and a small one;
- Bolts and nuts, without which neither a mechanical nor an electric starter can be assembled.
When assembled, it looks as follows: the cord is attached to the spool, and it is fixed to the core of the drum housing. There is a special space inside the drum, where a large spring is located around the axis. It is responsible for ensuring that after cranking the starter returns to its previous position.
Repair of starter gasoline drills, lawnmowers, trimmers for grass with their own hands
No matter how good quality gasoline tool you are using, during the construction process anything can happen to it, and at the most inopportune moment. Often problems arise due to the breakage of the starter. It happens, going to drill chain saw holes for installing fence posts or mow grass with a trimmer, you start to run the unit, and only have time to pull the starter handle a couple of times, as the rope breaks, and the engine has already started, dashingly winding the cord remains on the flywheel, tears the sheave, the spring is burst. run to the store new buy. But these are, of course, extremes.
Today we will consider the most common case where the breakage is not so serious, and show how to repair the starter with their own hands, if the cord broke without any devastating consequences or does not unwind because the spring inside just came off, failed to engage. At least that’s what you want to believe at first. But in order to find out if this is the case or not, it is necessary to disassemble the starter.
Care should be taken to ensure that the spring does not injure the owner by accidentally pulling away.
Disassemble the starter mechanism to install new parts to replace the broken ones in the following order:
- Unscrew the screw securing the pulley to the starter cover with a screwdriver;
- Remove the spring and the tendrils;
- carefully remove the pulley (you need to turn your head or practice, wearing goggles and gloves beforehand);
- Determine why the trigger is triggered;
- if the spring has collapsed almost completely, it is replaced;
- when the spring is out of the hook, install it in place by bending the antenna in front of you (the photos show the installation process);
- after inserting the spring plate into the groove, screw it carefully.
To change the spring plate, the work must be done with care and caution: it can accidentally explode under the force caused by actuating it. Even if the roller is carefully removed, the spring band comes off the reel very quickly and can injure your hand with its sharp edges.
Immediate spring plate replacement doesn’t always work. This often slips, so attempts must be repeated to achieve the desired result.
Assembly of the launcher is carried out in several stages:
- turn the coil over, installing it so that the spring bend fits exactly into the groove of the housing, as in the photo below;
- make two washers, between which there is a spring;
- Put the whisker cup back in place;
- tighten the screw (photo below).
Do the above manipulation it is necessary to put two washers. Failure to do so may result in damage to the plastic cup over time and it will begin to jam when it is removed. This makes it seem like spring has come. To correct this defect, you need to install this longer piece or additional washer.
When such parts are missing, there is only a little unscrewing the screw, and the starter assembly will start to work without fixing. But this option is temporary. it is better to repair it as soon as possible.
After installing the spring, tighten it. To do this, do the following steps:
- remove the handle from the starter cord;
- then the rope is inserted into the slot in the spool;
- the spring is tightened by turning the coil counterclockwise (winding);
- Perform the required number of revolutions specified in the instruction manual of the used trimmer model for grass and the length of the cord used;
- at the very end, lower the rope into the hole in the starter cover;
- Put the handle back in place by locking it with a knot.
If the spring continues to fly after repair, you can get rid of it in the following ways:
- insert the appropriate piece of plate into the groove at the location of the spring hook;
- Drill holes in both sides of the groove in the spool to insert a spring hook and secure it with wire.
Replacing a torn cord
Replace a broken rope in the following order:
- the old cord is removed;
- Choose the right size (thickness and length) of rope;
- passing it through the special hole in the spool, tie a knot;
- inflate the spring by making the necessary number of revolutions;
- fasten the handle
Better tighten the spring plate with your Ragtrap so the edge of the cord doesn’t bend inside the starter mechanism.
Assemble the starter for grass trimmer and tighten the spring is not difficult, but you need to do it carefully and cautiously. For different models of gasoline brushes start breakdowns are the same, so they are repaired similarly. There are some nuances associated with their design features.
How a lawn mower or grass trimmer starter is built?
Starter. the mechanism is generally unified and universal for chain saws, trimmers, gasoline and diesel generator sets. It is not a problem to equip it even a car, motorcycle or scooter, if your vehicle has a free place to install it. Not for nothing that many Soviet cars and trucks were equipped with a starter tool, remotely resembling a bent double crowbar.
Modern “hand crank” is started exactly from the cord. the one is tied to the mechanism, and it is impossible to lose it.
The starter assembly has the following parts:
- the ignition spring with the hook;
- A cord wound on a spool;
- return spring;
- the drive ratchet and the main spring;
- The mechanism housing that protects the ratchet;
- locking bolt.
Basic lawn mower starter breakdowns
Currently, there are two main malfunctions of the gasoline grass trimmer starter:
Grass trimmer belt spring
In practice there are cases where, for whatever reason, the starter housing is damaged and the torn cord winds up on the engine shaft, which inevitably leads to a broken spring and cracks in the housing. In this situation, local repair of the lawnmower starter will not be possible and a complete replacement of the engine starting unit will be required. In other cases, troubleshooting will be reduced to replacing the spring or cord.
There are cases when the starter still retains performance, but may break, for example, a worn cord. The ratchet has not yet had time to work when starting the engine, and the remains of the cord are immediately wound on the coil, the return spring loses its hooks, the grooves in the starter housing are broken. Bottom line. replacing both the spring and the body.
If the lawnmower or grass trimmer model has long since been discontinued, it will be difficult to find the exact same parts, and the starter is replaced as a whole.
How to Change the Cord on a Stil 180 Chainsaw
Features of the chainsaw quiet 180, repair with his hands, video
Whether you work in your garden or in a private home, on a farm or in construction, you need a versatile tool like a chainsaw.
Wood has always been, is and will always be a suitable building material that requires such a unique device to handle.
A chainsaw is also necessary for preparing firewood, trimming green spaces, improving and managing their farms.
Stil MS 180 chain saw repair with your own hands
Chainsaw Stil MS 180 Designed for inexperienced users, so that the work of this tool was as simple as possible.
The chainsaw’s starter mechanism includes the following elements:
- The screw of the ignition system;
- return spring;
- starting system coil;
- spark plug;
- electronic unit;
- wiring harness;
- power button;
- knob and cable.
The basic parameters of the chainsaw starting system:
After you press the power button, the handwheel begins to rotate with the magnet on it.
Electric motive power appears in the system. The resulting current is converted by the electronic unit into electrical signals that are transmitted to the driving elements.A spark is produced which ignites the air-fuel mixture.
How to put the spring
In order to install a new spring, the following steps must be followed:
- Carefully remove the mechanism’s cage.
- Inspect the inside of the cage that houses the spring mechanism near the C-piece.
- Fix and tighten the upper spring with your finger and move the starter grip aside.
- Remove the worn-out mechanism and wind a new spring. Avoid kinking and twisting the element.
- Reassemble the new spring mechanism. It is recommended to do this slowly so that the mechanism does not unwind.
- Tuck in the spring and insert it into the starter mechanism.
- Carefully fix the cage.
Changing the rope
In order to do the cord replacement, you will need the following tools:
Replace the starter cord as follows:
- Unscrew the fastening screws that hold the side cover with a screwdriver.
- Then remove the starter from the tool body.
- After that you need to turn the cover and make an inspection.
- Then dismantle the clamp and spring.
- Untie the knot in the rope.
- You need to pull out the pulley, on which the cord is wound. Remove the cord and replace it with a new one.
- Then put the pulley in place and tie the rope into a knot. Install the clamp and the spring.
- Afterwards screw in the lid with the lid fixing screws.
- finally put the starter in place and screw the fixing screws.
READ What Oil to Put in Grass Trimmer Petrol
The design of the manual starter on a single axle tractor
The cord itself is fixed on a spool installed in the central part of the drum. A special large ring spring is placed in the reel around the axis and helps to return the reel to its initial state after cranking. As you can see, assembling such a mechanism is quite simple.
As for the working process, it’s even simpler: after a person jerks the starter handle with a sharp movement, the mechanism itself takes effect and transmits the initial rotation to the engine. For the best acceleration, you have to tear the handle.
But, as is usually the case, nothing lasts forever and even such reliable devices sometimes malfunction. Be that as it may, there’s no need to get upset, because all malfunctions can be corrected.