Metal hacksaw how to use. Types, sphere of use
Basic rules for cutting metal with a hacksaw (strips, sheets, rods, sections, pipes)
Which tool to use when cutting metal depends on the thickness and shape of the workpiece. Saw thin-wall sections or thin sheet steel quickly and effortlessly with a hacksaw. Cutting solid rectangular bars requires a powerful angle grinder. While using a hand-held tool is relatively safe, working with a machine requires strict adherence to safety rules. These rules include both safe conditions for operating the machine, as well as secure fixation of the workpiece and taking measures to protect eyes and hands from possible injury. Anyone who intends to frequently perform locksmithing work should take care to acquire the appropriate tool.
Metal, as it is known, is much harder than wood, so the tool that processes metal must be sharper and more powerful than a carpenter’s tool. It is also necessary to strictly follow the safety rules when working with metal.
The teeth of a hacksaw blade must point forward. At the ends of the blade, they are shallower and more frequently spaced than in the middle. A screw on the end of the frame secures the blade. Always sawing is done in jerks, mostly in the middle cogs. Retract the saw with an upward swing.
What are some metal cutting saws?
Today there are a dozen or two versions of metal cutting saws. First of all, this type of saws can be classified by the length of the blade:
However, industry offers saw blades in 200 and 400 mm lengths. They are not widespread, but they are still produced in small batches.
- Saws with a blade length of 150 (mm) are considered short. Additionally there are also 200 (mm) blades, which can also be categorized as short. Saws with short blades are very specialized. Such saws are usually used in cramped conditions of work.
- Saw blades with a 300 (mm) blade are considered to be standard. This length of blade is enough for high productivity, but safety precautions must be respected.
Specialists say that good quality tool steel blades are hardly available for short saws nowadays. Their place has been taken by cheap analogues, based on ordinary carbon steel. The teeth of such metal “bald before your eyes” if you process workpieces from strong steel grades.
Deficit of quality blades for short saws is caused by the fact that shortened hacksaws are steadily falling out of use today. Short hacksaws are superseded by jigsaws, small angle saws and reciprocating saws.
Hacksaw for metal. varieties, work on different materials and work process (90 photos)
Every owner knows that a hacksaw is one of the most important tools in everyday life. It is not always convenient to use electric tools, especially in the countryside or in places where there is no electricity. In such a case, a hand hacksaw for metal will be an indispensable helper and will cope with any task.
Types of hacksaws
- Choosing a hacksaw or saw, the consumer is often confronted with a great variety of models presented in the market and it can be difficult to understand on their own.
- Knowing what types they are divided into, depending on the purpose of this tool, the task is simplified.
This tool is used for sawing any wood products. Depending on the structure of the wood, the type and thickness of the blade is selected. For example, the device with a wide blade is used for a straight rough cut, with a narrow. for sawing wooden workpieces;
Concrete and drywall saws
By design, it resembles a wood saw, but in this case the thickness of its significantly greater and, accordingly, the teeth;
The peculiarity of this species is in extremely small cogs. The blade is stretched on both sides of the frame, and the tensioning force can be adjusted independently.
You must pay attention to the length of the blade and the tooth pitch. Their length depends on how big a piece of work needs to be sawn. On average, it varies between 300 and 700 millimeters.
Tooth spacing needs to be chosen depending on what materials will be worked with. For example, the blade for metal saws is chosen based on the density of the material. for soft metal the tooth pitch of 1.5 mm is chosen, and a pitch of 2-3 mm. for hard. Tooth spacing of 3.5 mm and 5 mm for soft and hard wood respectively.
What the design should be
The structure of the hacksaw is quite clear. in the middle of the two ends of the staple, resembling the letter “C”, stretches a hacksaw blade with thin teeth, which is the working part. For attachment use either a nut with a wing nut, or a special small lever.
The second option, due to its versatility and ease of installation, is significantly more expensive than the first. The difference between electric tools with a hacksaw for metal, and handheld hacksaws is that they do not need electricity to use, they are easy to work and maintain due to their low weight.
For the convenience of working in hard-to-reach places, a hacksaw handle is used. Such a mini hacksaw for metal is used to work with broken blades. It takes less space, but is no less effective.
Choosing a hacksaw for metal
It is important to consider all features when selecting a hacksaw. Do not buy too cheap or too expensive, if you doubt about the big difference in price. First of all, the tool must be practical in work, all actions must be performed easily, without applying additional effort.
The frame of the tool must be strong enough, and special attention should be paid to the handle, which is always in operation. For ease of use, the handle should be equipped with a special stop for the fingers.
All parts should be as fixed as possible, without any defects. You choose the size of the machine yourself for standard blades or universal models. The design can be quite diverse, numerous photos of metal sabre saws will help to determine this.
Choosing a hacksaw blade
Do not forget to pay attention to the teeth on the blade, it must not have any cracks, chips or corrosion. the more teeth per inch, the easier it is to use and the faster the sawing operation. According to the standards, the number of teeth per inch can be 18, 24 or 32 pieces.
The state of the art of hacksaws for metal divides such a tool into 3 types:
- Single, with the distance between the pins 250 mm, the total length of the blade not more than 265 mm;
- Single, with 300 mm spacing between pins, total blade length no greater than 315 mm;
- Double, with a distance between the pins of 300 mm, the total length of the blade no longer than 315 mm.
Metal hacksaw application
Such a blade is quite versatile, due to the small teeth it is possible to cut not only metal, but also many other materials, such as plastic, plexiglass materials or wood.
It must be flexible enough and not wobbly enough to make a proper cut. Over time the tool will become dull and the blade itself will need to be replaced.
The work begins with setting up. The teeth of a hacksaw should always point downward, with the sharp ends away from the handle. Make sure that the blade is tightened well enough, but it is also important not to overtighten it, otherwise it can burst.
Working scheme with a hand hacksaw
A hacksaw is not only versatile but also easy to use and can be started without any prior training. But a number of important rules must be observed:
- Particular attention must be paid to the correct positioning of the master body in relation to the cutting points. When sawing, your arm should be bent at a right angle at the elbow, and your feet slightly turned around for better stability.
- Before fixing the hacksaw blade in the frame, it must be spread to the width of the blade. Once the webbing is in its proper place, it is finally secured with the nuts to give the necessary tension. If you mount the blade correctly you can avoid all kinds of vibrations. But it is important not to bend the stick here. if the blade is fixed too rigidly, it can quickly break while working. Nuts are used to set the correct degree of fixation of the blade.
- The tool is held with both hands while cutting. Performed movements of the hacksaw should be even and calm, without sharp jerks. When moving the hacksaw forward it is important to press it as hard as possible on the workpiece, and when returning to the starting position the pressure on the tool must be reduced.
- Before sawing the workpiece, it must first be clamped in a vice. This will reduce the risk of breakage of the blade and damage to the workpiece.
How to choose the right hacksaw for metal
To choose the best hacksaw for metal, it is necessary to pay special attention to the following criteria of the tool:
- tooth shape.
- tooth pitch. An important criterion by which the degree of hardness and thickness of the material to be cut with the tool is determined. You should choose the pitch depending on what material you plan to cut, as well as its size. The more teeth, the faster the product is cut.
- Length of blade. Chosen depending on the size of the frame available to fix it.
- Handle. The handle should be comfortable and lie perfectly in the hand.
- Manufacturer. The main manufacturers of metal saws: Truper, BAHCO, Irwin, Stanley and others. It is not only important what the name of the hacksaw is, but also the reliability of the construction and ease of use.
- . For home use, you can choose cheaper models.
Summarizing, which hacksaw to buy, it should be noted that the product should be convenient and at the same time of high quality, otherwise it will not cope with even the simplest tasks.
What are they made of
The tool is a type of saw, designed for cutting metal. Manual hacksaw consists of a frame and a hacksaw blade. The frame is also called a loom or frame.
This part has a handle, a shank and a clamping element that secures the torch. The handle can be made of different materials. Primarily used with wood or plastic. The frame is available as a one-piece or sliding frame. The second option lets you work with a variety of blade sizes. Structurally the machine comes in the following varieties:
- with double-sided attachment of the cutting part (parameters are selected depending on the type of frame, its ability to adjust the length);
- with one-sided fixation of the blade (standard length of 300 mm and shortened versions, width 13 mm).
the cutting element is a narrow strip of metal, one side of which is designed with teeth. There are also products with serrated edges on both sides. When using them it is important not to mix up the used edge with a new one. Wedge-shaped teeth are made with a sharpening angle of 60 degrees. Tooth pitch depends on the purpose of the blade:
A blade with 17 teeth spaced 1.5 mm per inch is used for metal work.
Tooth setting can be straight or wavy. The first variant provides the placing of the sharp wedges along a straight line, the second. with the deflection of each 2-3 teeth alternately to the left and to the right.
Parameters of hacksaw blades for metal:
For the manufacture of cutting elements different alloys of steel are used: alloyed, tool, cemented soft.
Saws. Types and operation. Application and how to choose. Teeth
Hacksaw is a manual joiner’s tool, which is a kind of a saw. Depending on the design, it can be used for cutting wood, metal, plastic, aerated concrete and other materials. The tool consists of two parts. a working blade with sharp teeth and a handle for a comfortable grip.
Hacksaw is one of the most ancient tools. It appeared much earlier than the modification to work with metals. There are several varieties of it:
The band saw, also known as a wide or regular saw, is a standard hand-held tool for sawing work. For use in longitudinal or cross cuts. It can be used to shorten a board or cut a branch. It is a standard carpentry and joinery tool. It makes a quick cut, but it is quite coarse and produces coarse chips. Its teeth are triangular in shape with a spacing of 1.5 to 6.5 mm.
Circular or narrow
This is a more narrowly focused tool. The narrow width of the blade means it can be used to cut curvilinear elements. The main purpose of such a tool is not the usual trimming, but the ability to cut sheet material, when you want to work on a strictly defined contour. Narrow blade is more maneuverable and allows you to bypass outlined curves, which cannot be done with wide hacksaws. These saws are much lighter and more compact. They can have teeth on both sides that differ in size. This makes it possible to produce cuts of varying purity. Smaller teeth make for a smoother cut.
Also called a grooving or shoeing tool is a specific tool, the main purpose of which is to remove protruding thorns and grooves. These saws are used by carpenters and joiners for a clean and smooth cut. This tool blade is the thinnest, so the kerf is narrow. To keep the blade from bending constantly, a shank that increases stiffness is clamped on the opposite side from the cutters. Due to the shank, it is not possible to make a deeper cut than the height of the blade. Such tool has fine teeth in the form of an isosceles triangle. It is used exclusively for cross cutting. Working part thickness does not exceed 1-1,5 mm.
Wood is a specific material, sawing which can have complications depending on the direction. In this regard, hacksaws are divided into three categories:
For longitudinal cutting
Hacksaws have special teeth that are angled forward at an acute angle. Their movement causes the wood fibers to cut and sawdust to chip off. Such equipment guarantees the fastest possible work in cases where it is necessary to divide the board in the direction of the fibers. This produces relatively coarse sawdust, the size of which depends on the height of the teeth. The coarser they are, the faster the work is. If you need to cut even a thin branch, such a saw will be ineffective.
Straight-toothed hacksaw is used. Such a tool would be an excellent choice for cutting planks or cutting branches in the garden. It is the one that is suitable for cutting firewood or shortening the cutter to a shovel. The vast majority of all handheld wood sawing equipment is crosscut.
This is a modification of the cross cutter, but with a special sharpening of the teeth to compensate for the lack of an angle of attack to the wood fibers. There are also specialized types of hacksaws where the teeth are set in groups of several. There is a small gap between the groups. This tool is designed for working with raw wood. The indentation between the cutters ensures the cleaning of wet chips, which are removed on their own without the need for manual cleaning.
A special specialized design with pobedite tips was developed especially for working with aerated concrete. This type of tool has a tighter penetration into the surface and makes cutting of hard materials quicker. Such a hacksaw is good for both cross and rip cuts.
When choosing a saw, one should pay attention not only to the direction of the teeth, but also to their size. There are three types of cutters:
- 2-2,5 mm. for precise work with small parts.
- 3-3,5 mm. for medium size workpieces.
- 4-6 mm. for rough cuts in logs and firewood.
Metal hacksaw has a special design, which consists of a cutting blade and a frame for fixing it. Blades are replaceable. They have small teeth, which are specially hardened. Self-tight is made of high-speed steel, but still as a result of operation rubs off rather quickly, also there are cases of breaking of individual teeth. Dimensions of such a tool rarely exceed 400 mm in length. The depth of cut is limited by the height of the frame.
Tooth pitch may also vary. This indicator of the hacksaw blade determines:
A fine pitch allows you to get a quality cut when working with different alloys.
Chips are removed from the cutting zone by a defined setup of the cutting edge. As previously noted, there are several designs based on this criterion:
Attention is also paid to the direction of the teeth. With this parameter in mind, the installation of the plate is carried out.
Today, many manufacturers of tools specialize in the production of hacksaw blades. At the same time, domestic products are much cheaper, foreign products are more expensive, but have higher performance characteristics. Several products are required for long-term work, as they can wear out at a high rate.
Metal hacksaw manual its purpose types and how to choose
The relevance of hand hacksaws on metal remains relevant, as this type of tool has many advantages and only one disadvantage. This is the first tool that was invented by man to cut metal workpieces.
Today every self-respecting craftsman has at least one option among the different types of this tool in his arsenal.
A handheld hacksaw for metal is popular because the tool is always ready to work in the absence of an angle grinder and electricity.
Design parameters of handheld metal hacksaws
Metal hand hacksaw looks quite simple:
- The base or “U” shaped frame is mainly made of metal
- Handle in different shapes for manual work
- Metal sabre blade for handheld hacksaw or cutting element that is fixed to the frame edges
These are the basic elements that make up a handheld metal saw. An important detail is the blade, which has a distinctive toothed shape. The fine teeth are designed specifically to work with hard materials.
How to Use a Dapping Block to Form Metal
The blade is fastened to the frame. Alloy steel is used for the frame. Frames come in all shapes, forms and designs. Professional handheld devices have a function to adjust the angle of inclination of the blades. There are variants of frames that are capable of extending. This feature in the tool allows you to install cutting elements of different lengths.
The handle is also an important node, as it is able to provide convenience and comfort in using the tool. Handles come in different shapes and are also made of such materials. wood, metal, plastic. The simplest handle is made of wood, but the most comfortable handle is made of two-component material: metal and rubber insert.
Blade for hand hacksaw on metal. a thin strip, which is made of hard types of steel, and has different lengths. There are wedge-shaped teeth on one or both sides.
Hacksaw blade is the most fragile element of the tool, so when working it is important to control the rigidity of its fastening.
Cutting elements for hand saws are made according to the method of heat treatment of teeth that allows to prolong the life of the product.
It is important to pay attention to! Blade for hand hacksaw is not intended for sharpening, so if the teeth are worn out, you need to replace it. Today’s blades are available in bimetal and hardened metal (nickel-plated stainless steel). They differ in color: bimetal blades are painted in different colors, and fully hardened blades are dark colored.
When choosing a blade attention is paid to its length. The length of the blade can be from 10 cm to 70 cm. Classic mechanical hacksaw for metal manual allow the use of blades with a length of 30 cm, because this is the size of the tool is the most comfortable and convenient for work.
What are hand hacksaws for metal
Handheld metal saws are designed for sawing metal materials. This is not the only purpose of the tool, as it has proven good for materials such as plastic, chipboard, Styrofoam, polystyrene foam, plexiglass, ceramics, laminate.
The Material Science of Metal 3D Printing
Considered saw for sawing metal. it is a very necessary tool in the economy, because in the absence of an angle grinder, it can always help in the situation. to saw off the cap of an oxidized bolt or to saw over a steel wire.
The big disadvantage of such a tool is a large expenditure of physical force and time. The presence of fine teeth affects the time it takes to achieve a result. To obtain the result from the master requires not only the application of titanic force, but also patience.
The result of long-term and hard work with the tool is the most precise result, which at times exceeds the cut with an angle grinder.
Types of handheld metal saws
There are the following types of metal saws:
- Home. The simplest variants, which are available in the set of every craftsman. Such devices are considered an obsolete version, but their production continues to this day. The advantage of these tools is their simple design. Handle is made of wood, and is in line with the blade
- Professional tools are designed for continuous work. Such products are equipped with a more comfortable handle, which in addition can be rubberized. Some higher priced models have a mechanism for adjusting the angle of the cutting part during operation
- Mini hacksaw or hand saw for metal has a special shape, different from the first two types. This product is intended for use only if you have difficulty gaining access to the part you are sawing. The device is shaped like a knife with an additional point to fix the blade. The handle is made of plastic and metal with rubber
How to cut with a handheld metal saw
Hand saw for metal requires the master to follow the following rules of operation:
- Adopting the right stand to the craftsman. You should rest your feet well on the floor and work with the device only with two hands, so initially take care that the workpiece is securely clamped in the jaws of the vise
- Securely lock blade. Hacksaw blades are very fragile, so if the product will “wiggle” from side to side if it is not properly secured, in one moment it will simply break
- Correct sawing movements. To saw a workpiece, you must not only hold the tool correctly, but also work with it. The pressure of the tool to the part to be sawed is performed when moving forward, and when returning to the opposite position, the pressure of the pressure is relieved. If you do not relieve pressure when moving the tool forward, the teeth of the blade will dull quickly
Important things to consider! The blade on the frame of the handheld metal saw must be locked in position with the teeth facing away from the handle.
Choosing a tool or what to look for
To choose the best hand saw for metal, pay attention to the following parameters: