replacing the bobbin on the trimmer. Tools for replacing the trimmer head.
Grass trimmer spool repair with your own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the trimmer line, assemble and install back
In this article, we will detail the procedure on how to remove the grass trimmer bobbin. The step-by-step instructions with the attached video will help the beginner and experienced user to remove the element of the system and clean it independently or replace it with a new one. Before you remove the coil trimmer for grass it is necessary to muffle it. for gasoline models, or turn off the power. for electric trimmers. We will demonstrate one traditional disassembly scheme, but different models of trimmers may have a different way of attaching the spool to the tool. With your own hands you can not only remove the old coil pattern, but also change it for a new one, if necessary. So, step by step scenario:
- Disconnect the tool from the mains or turn off the engine (for chain saws).
- Carefully remove the coil cap that holds the coil spring in place.
- Press the ratchets symmetrically located on both sides with one hand and gently pull off the cover with the other.
- Looking for a hole in the gear cup, located on the side or top, and align it with the same hole in the hub of the shaft.
- Using a hexagonal key or a metal rod put it through the gearbox hole, avoiding possible rotation of the shaft.
- Let’s take off the mowing bobbin, that the line for the trimmer is wound around.
- A slightly recessed screw will be visible in the depths. It can be unscrewed with a Phillips-head or slotted screwdriver.
- With one hand hold the head body and with the other, counterclockwise, unscrew the screw.
- Slightly shake it. remove the mowing head. Even if it is a bit stuck, gently work harder and with the same rocking motion remove it. Often the movement is made in the clock hand, but there are also spools that unscrew in the other direction.
- Assembly takes place in the opposite sequence.
To carry out the removal of the bobbin is necessary in cases of its damage, winding the line (which is undesirable and indicates an illiterate selection of tackle), as well as when you need to wind a new cord on a new spool or replace the cutting tackle. The “KosiKosa” store will always offer you an inexpensive reel for grass trimmer.
How to choose a line for a trimmer. length, diameter, limitations
For any electric or gasoline grass trimmer, you can use lines from different manufacturers. Nevertheless, consumables of the same brand as the tool remain the best option. It is believed that in this case, it will benefit the longevity of work and even reduce consumption.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line for the grass trimmer or metal cables. Such substitution is inefficient and dangerous. The rope can injure not only the mower himself, but also other people.
As for the length, it is worth counting on the estimated frequency of grass trimmer use. The more often, the more you should stock up on consumables. Information about the possible line diameter can be found on the body of the grass trimmer reel. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. Thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the right one for your area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
What to consider when choosing a grass trimmer bobbin?
The grass trimmer reel can be of different kinds. If there are often rough stems among the vegetation, the head with built-in plastic or metal knives is best suited.
With the trimming of lawns with low grass will cope quite a spool of fishing line. By the way, the line sections can be two, four or six, respectively, twice as many line ends. The number of line ends determines how long it takes to do the job.
Another important point is the mounting axis. It can be fixed or rotating 90 °, 180 ° or 360 °. The wider the angle of rotation, the more convenient to mow grass in hard-to-reach places.
Diameter of line (cord). This depends on how easy it is to remove unwanted foliage. So, for a grass trimmer of low power (usually it is electric or battery-powered equipment), a line for a trimmer with a diameter of 1.3 to 1.6 mm is suitable. For equipment designed to work not only with soft, but also with tough vegetation, a line for trimmer with a diameter of 1.8 to 2 mm is calculated.
Professional equipment uses a universal trimmer head with a diameter of 2.5 to 4 mm. Even small bushy branches can be cut with this fishing line.
When buying a grass trimmer, special attention should be paid to the attachment. Best if the trimmer head is mounted on ball bearings. It is they improve the rotation, thereby reducing the wear and tear of the material and help increase the life of the equipment.
It is important to choose the product of the manufacturer that is indicated on the mower. Often there is a universal trimmer head, which is suitable for several models of one manufacturer. Our online store has heads from Husqvarna, Gardena, Huter and other brands. When ordering, it is worth checking with the manager whether the selected product will fit your trimmer model for grass.
You have recently bought a grass trimmer and you have just begun to learn how to work with it? The important thing is to change the filament in the trimmer head. To do it quickly and correctly the short instruction provided in the article will help you.
Each trimmer manufacturer recommends a line for the trimmer, or cord, of a certain diameter. a spool is made for it. The size of the cord can be from 1,2 to 4 mm: you should check the instruction manual and find the acceptable line size for your trimmer. For example, in many trimmers the maximum value is 3 mm (recommended for hard grass). a thicker cord cannot be installed. A thin trimmer line with a diameter of 1.2 to 1.6 mm is suitable for mowing young, soft vegetation. Also when choosing, pay attention to the structure of the cord: round cord is the strongest and best for rough grass, curly cord for soft grass, and twisted or notched cord for thin stems. Depending on what kind of grass grows on the site. lawn or weeds, buy the appropriate consumables. The length of the winding can vary from several tens to several hundreds of meters, and its price depends on it. The amount of work to be done should be the basis. If the grass trimmer is used in a private household, there is no need to buy a skein over 100 m.
Important to know! Buy only original grass trimmer lines recommended by the grass trimmer manufacturer. It is made of quality materials and is durable. it will cut the grass perfectly and will not wear out so quickly.
For one filling of the line in the bobbin requires a length of 2 to 4 meters. it all depends on its thickness and the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you wind more line than necessary, it will be difficult to move it and you may have problems pulling the new ends out while mowing. Unwind the desired amount and cut with a knife.
Useful tip: Place a piece of filament in water for 30 minutes, then it will become more elastic and stronger.
To insert the trimmer line into the trimmer head, you must remove it from the tool. Depending on the design, this can be done by pushing on the catches or unscrewing the knob. Pay attention to the direction of the thread. right or left. and depending on this, turn the thumbscrew. The direction of rotation is usually indicated by an arrow on the trimmer head body. Wearing gloves for this operation is recommended: no slipping of the fingers and no dirty hands.
Disassembling the mowing head
A line for the trimmer is wound on a bobbin, which is hidden in the body of the trimmer head. To get to it, it is necessary to disassemble the element. There is a clip on the bobbin case so you can easily remove the bobbin case cover by pushing it in. Sometimes you can disassemble it by unscrewing the housing.
Be Careful! Note the order in which the elements are installed, the way the spring and fixing screw are positioned inside the head. Carefully stack all of the parts in one place so that nothing gets lost and no problems arise during assembly.
Trimmer heads differ in terms of design, type of spool and line pulling. Once you disassemble the housing you will see the bobbin and determine which type it belongs to. There is one in the middle with a bead that separates the spool into a top part and a bottom part for each end of the line. For products without it, the line winding is continuous. Use the table to simplify the process.
Spooling line on different types of spools
With separating bead
We described how to wind the line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer spool with two tendrils. This is the most common variant. But there are other ways. For example, if the mowing head has one tendril, the winding is carried out without folding the line for the trimmer. Rotate in the direction indicated on the bobbin case and temporarily secure the free end of the cord in the slot on the case. For trimmers with four tendrils, the consumable material is four short pieces that are inserted one by one into the holes of the already assembled head.
Hint: When winding the line, be careful not to overtighten it, so that it does not sit too tight in the reel. You must allow the line to run freely so that it can be reeled in afterwards.
Assembling the trimmer head
After the line for the trimmer is wound on the bobbin, it is necessary to assemble the body. Position the spool so that the line ends can be pulled into the output holes of the trimmer head. Slots in the bobbin, where they were temporarily inserted, will prevent them from slipping out. If there are no such slots, hold the ends with your fingers when you place the reel in the housing. After pulling the free ends into the outlet holes, close the cover and secure it with latches or screws. Attach the mowing head to the grass trimmer and extend the line ends to the proper length so that they don’t touch the blade guard when working. Done! You are ready to go to work!
Thus, theoretically knowing the algorithm for changing a line in a trimmer head, you can easily and quickly cope with this task. Most importantly, take your time and look closely at the construction of the bobbin before you change it for the first time. If you have problems dismantling the housing, you can always refer to the instruction manual, which will always explain the locking mechanism. This helps prevent accidental breakage. You can buy a line for the trimmer and other consumables for your trimmer in our online store.
The endless mowing head for your brushcutter
To correctly find how many meters of line will be needed for a particular spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin in such a manner that the roll does not exceed the cross-section of edges. If the line for the trimmer will peek out over the edges of the reel, you cannot stick it into the shroud. When you have decided on the length of the material, it must be tucked into the bobbin, so do the following.
- Fold the line for the trimmer in half so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- See that the bobbin is divided into 2.4 parts with a central rim, which is where the charging begins. Find a groove on it and stick the double-bent cord in it with a small amount of force.
- It is of fundamental importance to find in which direction the line for the trimmer is wound on the spool. If you look closely, you can find an arrow or inscription with an arrow on the bobbin, indicating which way the winding should be done. There are cases when there is no arrow on the reel. Under these circumstances look at the arrow on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be carried out accurately, coil to coil, with the greatest possible tension of the thread.
- If the cord laying is completed, it will be necessary to fasten the small end of the line at first by inserting it into the matching cross-sectional groove on the side of the spool.
- Insert the second end, the longer one, into the groove on the back of the spool.
- After fixing the line, trim off the ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Then insert the threaded spool into the mowing head. For this purpose, by alternately inserting and pulling the thread through the outlet holes of the mowing head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line for the trimmer from the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now of course put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Some spools have a 2nd method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread, instead of the 1st, folded in half. Changing the line is done by the following method.
- In advance of changing or otherwise charging the new thread in the spool, determine how many meters of it will need the method described above.
- One end of the cord bend like a hook.
- Find a hole on the day of the bobbin designed to secure the line, and stick the looped end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, not exceeding the cross-section of the spool.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembly of the head is no different from the method given when we considered the bobbin threading with a piece of line folded in half.
For brushcutter brand Shtil there is a very conventional and sharp method of changing the line without disassembling the mowing head, learn how to, of course, watch this video.
The filament ends sticking out of the holes in the mower housing can be cut to the right length after the piece is installed in the trimmer. There are 2 methods to do this of course:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (as it rotates, the ends of the line will be cut on the blade fixed for this purpose on the safety guard);
- cut off the excessive ends with scissors, so they do not touch the body of the cover.
the 2nd method is used in the case of a long cordset trimmer that cannot be cut with the cutter.
If the filament is charged into the mowing head but the projecting filament ends are not long enough, they must be lengthened before the machine is started, this applies to a mowing head with manual adjustment. But there are also cases when using an automatic mowing head where, due to insufficient length of the protruding line ends, they are not lengthened by the automatism. Here you need to turn off the unit (an electronic device must be required to pull the plug out of the socket), manually press the button at the bottom of the part, and pull a little fishing line. After this procedure, the cord is able to extend again due to the centrifugal force, if you set the spindle to the highest rpm.
No matter how thick you set the line to your trimmer, you should keep in mind: to avoid interrupting work or even changing the line, you should avoid areas where the working tool touches hard surfaces (boulders, kerbs, thick dry twigs, etc.), and to avoid piercing the line, you should use fishing line.д.).
Some users of trimmers ask: what can replace the cord, which is used by default in this type of machines? Begin to carry out dangerous experiments, installing in the mowing head of iron or copper wire, iron cables or strings, more ordinary fishing line for the trimmer.
If you set the cable made of metal, instead of a fishing line, the grass trimmer is converted into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that in the course of the unit’s work, the metal rope will be evenly actuated, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions with great speed.
Similar condition is when using lead wire or copper wire, only with the difference that pieces of wire are much bigger and may cause serious bodily injury.
Typical malfunctions. Causes
Faults that occur most often with magneto are typical for trimmers of different manufacturers. As a rule, it is weak spark or no spark, as well as the presence of interruptions in the process.
If a magneto is giving off intermittent sparks, first check the contacts. They may have burned or become greasy. The detected fouling is mended with a file, and the oil is scrubbed off with a chamois pre-soaked in gasoline. The second possible cause of the problem is a faulty contact gap adjustment. To fix it, you need to set the correct distance.
If the spark is intermittent, it could also mean that the shear arm cushion is worn. To fix the malfunction it is necessary to change the lever for a new one. In addition, the gap should be adjusted, as with the other possible cause of failure. unadjusted abrasion.
A punctured capacitor can also be the culprit for intermittent spark formation. In such a situation, the damaged part must be replaced, as it is impossible to repair and recharge it.
If the magneto doesn’t produce any spark at all, the primary cause is a breakage in one of the transformer circuits (primary or secondary). To repair the lawnmower, the faulty part must be replaced. If the primary circuit is shorted to the ground, it can also cause a lack of spark. It is necessary to eliminate it in order to fix the problem.
Tip! Punctured insulation of the high-voltage wire can also be the cause of the failure. The situation can be corrected by replacing the wiring.
A weak spark on the magneto is caused by a damaged capacitor. To correct the cutting headset malfunction you need to replace the part that has malfunctioned.
Preparing to change the line
Before changing the filament, it is necessary to pull out and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a cover, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or shut off the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove it from the gearbox shaft, on which it is attached.
- under the cover is a bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the housing (sometimes under it hides a spring, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose);
- After removing the bobbin becomes visible in the center of the body fixing bolt (or screw), which must be unscrewed in the direction opposite to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners it is necessary, holding by the body, by rocking movements remove the spool from the reducer shaft.
The second method involves the following steps. The spool head is mounted on the gearbox shaft. In order to disconnect it, you need to lock this shaft. This is usually done by inserting a nail, bar or screwdriver into the hole in Champion and STIHL scythes. After fixing the shaft in a stationary position, hold it by the body and start turning the head clockwise, because the thread on the shaft is usually marked left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, you need to determine how thick the cord should be. Learn the correct diameter for your trimmer for the grass can be found by looking in the user manual or on the bobbin itself, it usually shows similar information. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the bobbin goes without difficulty, it can be used to work.
As a side note! To understand how much fishing line to wind for the spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the skein was not more than the diameter of the sides. If the filament protrudes over the edges, the spool cannot be hidden in the cover.
Design of the trimmer head
On the Russian market the most popular are semi-automatic trimmer heads. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is universal semi-automatic head, which is equipped with electric trimmers for grass and lawnmowers of such famous brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. The design of the grass trimmer head is shown in the following illustration.
- body (pos.6) with a cover (pos.1) equipped with special eyelets (pos.5), through which the cutting filament is led out;
- the bobbin (pos.3), on which a line for a trimmer is wound (pos.7);
- pinch-spring (pos. 4).
Other, simpler trimmer heads are also available.
How to install a spool on a grass trimmer?
Not only the quality of cut depends on correct installation of the cutting attachment, but also the safety of the operator while operating the brushcutter.
During the installation of the coil, you need to follow the following order of action:
- The first step is to secure the original brushcutter gearbox shaft in a fixed position. To do this, you need to align the hole in its housing and the drive disc;
- Next, you will need to install a metal pressure plate on the gearbox shaft;
- Then you need to screw the head with the line on the shaft, rotating it, at the same time, against the clock hand;
- To remove the spool from the grass trimmer, you need to perform all the actions in reverse order.
When installing and removing the brushcutter head in the field, you must be very careful not to lose small parts of the gearbox in the grass.
We recommend trying coconut flour in your household. Baking will be simply amazing, and most importantly useful!