Reverse hammer with a vacuum suction cup with his hands
How to make a reverse hammer to remove the hub with your own hands
Such automotive repair as auto body repair is a rather complicated operation. From you will need a number of special knowledge, as well as devices and tools. The reverse hammer is an important part of bodywork repairs. This tool is simple enough and you can easily make it yourself. over, there are a lot of recommendations and videos, as well as drawings on this topic.
Today you will learn how to make a backhammer with your own hands and how to use it properly for its intended purpose.
How to use
The principle of the reverse hammer is as follows:
- First of all, you should inspect the damaged area of the car, pick up an appropriate hook based on the location and the main dimensions of the dent, so then correctly calculate the accuracy of the force of application.
- Then the area of the body surface to be repaired must be thoroughly cleaned of excess paint and primer to the metal.
- Next, you need to weld special repair brackets (washers) to the metal surface of the dent with a welding machine. If the electric spotter is delivered together with a return hammer, then in the process of leveling you will need only to change the nozzle.
- Then you need to hook the hook of the auto tool into the brackets, and then with careful and light strokes start pulling out the dent.
- This step is recommended until the damaged part is completely gone.
- To get rid of dents on your car, you must first weld a few brackets and pull the hammer bar through their holes to remove the damage.
- After that, the corrected surface defect should be treated with primer and again covered with paint in the tone of the body.
What is a reverse hammer for auto body repair?? Structure, working principle. How to make a homemade tool.
When carrying out body repair, one of the most popular tools is a reverse hammer. This tool is designed to level out small dents on the sills, pillars, arches, especially in places where there is no access from inside the cabin. This is one of the main tools for straightening, and every bodybuilder should be able to work with it.
In fact, in its structure, the reverse hammer for body repair is quite simple. It consists of a metal rod with diameter of 10-20 mm and length of about 50 cm. A steel weight (sleeve) is put on the rod. Its weight and impact are used to level the damaged area gradually.
On one side of the rod a hook is attached or welded which can be used to hook the fixing loops welded to the bodywork. On the other side there is a washer, welded on, which prevents the weight from flying off, and serves as a bump stop, when hitting it the force is transmitted to the rod and further the metal surface is smoothed under this pressure. If you buy a standard backhammer, it usually includes several interchangeable hooks for gripping staples of different shapes. There are modifications of such hammers with two and three sleeves, which allows you to control the force of the blow when leveling dents.
There is another type on the market. the vacuum reverse hammer for body repair. With such devices repair extensive areas of dents, and the previous design is suitable for minor damage. Suction cups are used as a hook, which removes the question of preliminary removal of the old paint layer from the part.
- Clean the damaged area down to the metal, usually use a grinder and sandpaper.
- Using a spotter, staples are welded to the bodywork, in various locations of the damage, so that it can be gradually pulled out, restoring the shape of the bodywork.
- The brackets are hooked with a reverse hammer.
- Slowly level the surface by beating on it with gentle, non-forceful movements of the weight. The main thing is not to overtighten it, in order not to hammer the bulge back later. Using these gradual procedures, pull out the entire area of the damaged part.
- Remove the brackets by cutting or unscrewing.
- We clean and degrease a detail and you can proceed to puttying.
The main disadvantage of using the classical reverse hammer is the necessity to remove the old paintwork, even if it was not heavily damaged. In addition, as mentioned above, this method is only suitable for small dents.
You can buy such equipment in almost any auto store, and often such a hammer comes with other equipment, the same spotter. But due to the simple design it is not very difficult to make a backhammer with your own hands.
- metal rod with a length of 50 cm and a diameter of about 20 mm.
- A washer, or a handle, which will serve as a rebound.
- Welding machine and protective equipment: goggles, mask, overalls.
- steel hook.
- steel washers, 2. 3 pcs. 2.5 to 3 mm in diameter.
The technique of assembling a reverse hammer with these components is as follows:
- Grind and clean metal rod from rust and burrs.
- Let’s weld a threaded fastener to the hook, and on one side of the stern we also grind a thread, so that we get a removable connection. As an analogy, you can fix the hook permanently by welding.
- We make a hole in the kettlebell 1 mm larger than the diameter of the rod, so it can freely walk on it. Then, we put it on the rod.
- We will weld a handle with a washer, the weight will hit against it and transfer the pull on the rod itself.
This stage of the independent development of a reverse hammer for auto body repair is completed. If you want you can also make a vacuum version of the tool. But here already instead of hooks and welded brackets, a suction cup will be used, which is attached to the wide indentation and slowly pulled out.
Please write in your Комментарии и мнения владельцев with a reverse hammer, what manufacturer you use and whether you are satisfied with the quality of their work? Thanks in advance for the answer, it will be very helpful for beginners.
- The design and application of the reverse hammer, making the tool by your own hands
- What is a reverse hammer for body repair
- Purpose and types of reverse hammers
- How to use a reverse hammer
- Making a reverse hammer by ourselves
Before you make a reverse hammer with your own hands, you need to prepare materials and tools. The list is simple and includes elements that are sure to be found in any garage. So, you will need:
- Metal rod about ½ meter long. You can use racks from old shock absorbers or hubs as the basis.
- Load with a pre-drilled longitudinal channel.
- A backhammer for shaping threads.
- Welding machine.
- An angle grinder.
Vacuum reverse hammer
There is a separate type of device. it is a vacuum hammer. Vacuum straightening of the car body has its own feature, thanks to which it is possible to put in order quite a large damaged surface of the machine.
Its advantage is that it has a vacuum suction cup, thanks to it there is no need to remove a thick layer of paint before starting the body repair. You won’t have to drill or weld staples into the area to be repaired, compared to a standard tool. In this case different configurations and shapes of pistons are used. The vacuum suction cup is used to level out the dent and hold the material in place. Working with a vacuum tool reduces handling time and labor costs.
Vacuum body straightening is done as follows:
- First, the area to be leveled is cleaned of grease and warmed up;
- The dent in the center and edges are glued with adhesive pistons of the right size. The pistons are snagged with a vacuum hammer, and the impact on the surface is quite accurate;
- Repeat the previous two steps one at a time until the body surface is in a normal shape;
- At the end, after levelling it, it is well worked through with the minilift, which comes with the pistons.
Despite the obvious advantages of vacuum extraction over conventional alignment, this method of body straightening also has its disadvantages. It is not possible to remove the defect completely. over, if there were cracks in the damaged area, so you risk damaging it even more. Accordingly, the choice of the method of straightening should be taken carefully, as well as the right choice of tools for work.
As we can see, the reverse hammer is an indispensable tool for carrying out straightening works of the body. It has quite a few disadvantages, which we described above. But despite this, only with its help you can get rid of dents in hard-to-reach places. Therefore, it must necessarily be present in the arsenal of tools of every car locksmith.
It is known that body repair needs a number of special tools. Without them it is simply impossible to qualitatively perform the work. One of these tools is a reverse hammer. Its main purpose is to level out small areas of the car body that have received minor deformation. You can use a slide hammer to apply a certain amount of force on places for which you have limited access.
Here’s one thing to be clear. Certain bodywork areas can also be straightened out if they are warped with a normal rubber mallet by gently tapping the opposite side of the bodywork in the desired spot. The problem, however, is that it is not always possible to get such access. In such a situation, the car mechanic just useful is a reverse hammer. Also this tool can be used as a supplement to a spot welder, to remove the C.V. joint. over, the slide hammer is also suitable for use in some types of repair work related to the engine. For example, in some cases, it is used as a nozzle remover.
One of the ways you can remove dents
The traditional way to repair the defect of dents fraught with difficulties to remove the paint coat (paintwork) of the car, apply a new layer after repairing the defect. The paint and varnish need to be chosen very skillfully and precisely, so that the repair area would not be noticeable.
To avoid removing paint and varnish and touching up the bodywork, you can use vacuum straightening to remove dents.
The suction cup is an excellent equipment for this method of dealing with a crumpled car body. When working with special suction cups the laws of hydraulics are used. Major damage in the form of dents on the body can easily be removed literally in front of your eyes. This technological method helps to restore the original appearance of the car, without touching paint and varnish layers.
Compared to the traditional method of getting rid of dents, the vacuum straightening has the following advantages
- the factory paint and varnish of the vehicle are not damaged;
- there is no need to disassemble and reassemble the damaged part after the defect has been repaired;
- The time to fix the flaw takes only about an hour;
- the costs for this service at the workshop are comparatively low.
Of course, this method of repairing the body is not ideal and has its negative sides:
- The defect is only partially removed. Externally the car will look perfect, but the flaw will still remain, and in the future can lead to delamination and the need for a complete replacement part.
- Can only be used if there is no damage to the paintwork at the spot of the dent.
- It is desirable to use in areas with damage where conventional straightening has not been done before.
- You can not make repairs in the place where the filler was previously applied (under the vacuum action can break away).
- If the dent is bent, or if you can see a strong stretching of the metal, the vacuum suction cup is not suitable.
Deletion of dents about 15-20 cm in size with a vacuum is quite feasible in any garage, if there is special equipment. If this method does not get rid of all the damage you need to resort to the traditional methods of dealing with dents, using special tools.
The process of straightening with your own hands using a reverse hammer is performed in the following order:
- First of all, it is necessary to clean and degrease the working surface.
- Then the paint coating is removed by grinding.
- Round repair washers are welded to the machined section of the body.
- Then, the metal hook, included in the delivery set, is attached to the end of the inverted hammer.
- It is hooked to the washer and, taking the weight with one hand and the handle with the other, the first one is directed to the second one with jerky movements. This aligns the surface of the body part. Note that the impact force directly influences the levelling speed.
Dents lead to internal compression and tension stresses that can change unpredictably during straightening. To successfully perform it, it is very important to determine the nature of the defect. For example, when repairing a dent in the center of the bodywork by pulling, new dents are likely to be created.
So during the process of straightening it is necessary to monitor the changes in the dent to be corrected and in order to avoid the formation of new defects to perform it from the edges to the center of the defect in a circle.
If the work is done correctly, the surface will take its original shape and deformation stresses will be eliminated.
A quick guide and tips on using the tool
Again, the easiest way to get a clear picture of how this works is to watch the video. If this is not possible, the procedure for working with this device is approximately as follows:
- The tip is attached to the deformed area of the body;
- The part is leveled to the desired position by striking the weight on itself;
- If the force is insufficient, the load is changed to a heavier one.
When pulling a relatively large piece of metal, you can weld several washers in one line and pull the pin through them. To do this correctly, it is advisable to watch a video on the subject. Then this pin is hooked with a hook that is welded to the fixture and pulled along with the metal, aligning it to the desired state. Care must be taken when using this method, because welding a large number of washers can overtighten the metal, and ruin the body part.