Scutting saw how to choose.
How to choose a crosscut saw: recommendations of the professional
Continuing the review of the tool, without which a master finisher cannot imagine his existence. Previously we covered cordless screwdrivers, torches, chain saws, jigsaws and angle grinders. The protagonist of this article is a crosscut saw, the “angle cutter”. Let’s take a look at this complex, rather unusual machine from a variety of angles.
Modern mitre saws go back to the beginning of the twenties, when the radial arm saw was invented by Raymond DeWalt. The long and thorny path of evolution has led to the emergence of the “angle saw” as a separate class of desktop nesting tools.
Bosch GCM 8 SDE
- It comes with a good blade
- The quality of materials
- Smooth start and speed control
- clean cut
- Robust and sturdy construction
- Reasonably heavy
How to Select Table Saw Blades: Woodworking for Beginners #2. Woodworkweb
Overall a very positive impression and satisfaction with the purchase. I had to set the zero angle on the table at first. Was a little knocked down. And after that, surprisingly, all other angles fell into place. I was very pleased with this.
- Diameter of the blade: 216 mm
- Cutting depth 90°/45°: 70/48 mm
- Cutting width 90°/45°: 312/214 mm
- Cutting depth on top table 45°: 214 mm
- Features: Stepless speed adjustment, soft start
- Special design features: laser marker, spindle lock, the ability to connect a vacuum cleaner
- Speed of rotation: 5000 rpm
- Diameter in the socket: 30mm
- Tilt angle: 60°
- Swivel angle: 47°
- Weight: 18.5 kg
- Build quality
- Setting accuracy
- Very good grip
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Relatively quiet operation
- Sawing position clearly visible
- Sleek and solid frame
Very good quality cut. Wood cuts just fine, not much noise. Sawed a lot of laminate, the cut is also very good (although sometimes there were small chips, but very rare). Backlight (shade) is clearly visible, not clogged with dust. Very satisfied so far. Very good quality mitre saw. I recommend.
- Disc diameter: 216mm
- Depth of cut 90°/45°: 60/48 mm
- Cutting width 90°/45°: 250/250 mm
- Cutting depth on top table 45°: 250 mm
- Functions: Cutting depth adjustment
- Design features: backlight
- RPM: 4500 rpm
- Seating hole diameter: 30 mm
- Tilt angle: 48°
- Swivel angle: 48°
- Weight: 12 kg
Best SDS Saws of the Year 2021
|The best inexpensive mitre saws||1||JET JSMS-8L||9.6 / 10|
|2||Hyundai M 2000-255||9.5 / 10|
|3||Metabo KGS 216 M||9.4 / 10|
|4||Zubr ZPTK-255-1800||9.1 / 10|
|Best sliding compound mitre saws||1||Metabo KGS 315 Plus||9.8 / 10|
|2||Bosch GCM 12 GDL||9.8 / 10|
|3||DeWALT DWS778||9.5 / 10|
|4||DeWALT DWS777||9.4 / 10|
|5||Bosch GCM 8 SJL||9.1 / 10|
|Best crosscut saws without pulling||1||Bosch GTM 12||9.8 / 10|
|2||Makita LH1201FL||9.6 / 10|
|3||Makita LF1000||9.5 / 10|
|The best battery powered sliding compound mitre saws||1||DeWALT DHS780N||9.7 / 10|
|2||Makita DLS714Z||9.5 / 10|
|3||Metabo KGS 18 LTX 216 0||9.4 / 10|
Our rating of the best crosscut saws opens with the JET JSMS-8L model. Chinese trimming saws Jet, despite its origin, have earned a good reputation. they are not badly assembled and do not bother with failures, so you can often find them in small shops. This particular model with 1.5 kW motor uses 216 mm discs and has a broaching mechanism, so it’s quite universal: cutting depth up to 62 mm, width up to 305 mm. Tilt and swivel angles can be adjusted up to 45 degrees.
What type of saw do I need for which job?
For aiming a laser is provided, but it rather quickly gets clogged with dust, even if the vacuum cleaner is connected. a tangible amount of sawdust passes by it because of the one-point intake. The motor is connected directly, without a soft start, although this is not a problem for the handyman: budget tools are often chosen with the expectation of further modification “for themselves.
- JET JSMS-8L. 1500 W, blade 216 mm, kerf 62 mm, max. 5000 rpm
- JET JSMS-10L. 1500 W, blade 254 mm, kerf 90 mm, max. 4500 rpm
- JET JSMS-12L. 1800 W, blade 305 mm, kerf 105 mm, max. 3800 rpm
I’ve never had any problems since I bought it. The build is good, you can feel it right away by the way the guides run.
Hyundai M 2000-255
The 1800-watt saw and the disk uses the corresponding motor power diameter. 255 mm, so the cutting depth is all right: up to 75 mm at 90-degree cuts, while the cutting length is up to 135 mm. For works that usually use a budget class tool, it should be enough normally. Build quality is as good as the standard blade itself, although there are some minor flaws. If you do not plan to use the hood, limited to the regular dust bag, then stock up on sweepings. the built-in “laser sight” will quickly clog with dust, as there is no forced extraction in the bag. Though the bag itself is made with decent care of the future owner. for shaking out chips it has a “zipper”, for example.
The disc seating hole is 30 millimeters, which must be taken into account: the popular online stores for some reason often mention the inch seating, although there can be errors with the weight (the real one, according to the manual. 12 kg). Though, if having believed the catalog or the adviser in a store, you will buy one-inch saw blades in addition. it is not terrible, the set must have an adapter. But the soft start will not appear here, alas (or it is just made “not quite smooth” from the beginning): Consider this, buying a saw in a workshop with not the most powerful wiring, there can be voltage sagging when you turn on the motor.
The marking of the rotary table is precise, allowing to get the exact joints of the sawn blanks right out of the box. It clicks into place at “standard” corners (9 positions from.45 to 45 degrees). But the manufacturer did not forget about precise angle adjustment. Vertical inclination. only to the left, up to 45 degrees.
How to choose a crosscut saw?
In order not to make a mistake when choosing a crosscut saw, it is necessary not only to compare technical parameters, but also to understand how this tool works.
The gearbox is responsible for transmitting the rotary motion of the motor. There are three variants:
Toothed gearing Pros: eliminates the possibility of slipping. Drawbacks: Noise, considerable tool vibrations, repair only in service center. Belt transmission Pros: less noise and vibration during operation. Disadvantages: Belt rupture is not covered by the warranty, and you have to find and change the consumable yourself. Saws without gearboxes Pros: long operation time. Cons: low torque.
Engine The engine has a lot to do with it: speed, serviceability, and overload.
Asynchronous motor Pros: less noise, longer operating time. Disadvantages: Low power, high weight.
Collector motor Pros: high torque and performance in operation. Cons: regular maintenance.
Reciprocating motor Pros: high torque, quiet operation, long service life, no reaction to moisture, dust or other external factors. Disadvantages: high price.
Power Power. one of the key technical parameters. there are models from 800W to 2500W on the market. Most popular. trimmers 1600W and 1800W. Their power is enough for both domestic and industrial work.
- Thicker and harder workpieces can be taken to work;
- the risk of overload or overheating decreases;
- the more power, the bigger diameter of the saw blade;
- the weight of the tool itself increases, which reduces its mobility.
- Trimmers with discs up to 250 mm are designed for home and private use.
- Discs of 250mm and larger. for professional applications in industry or construction.
How to choose a crosscut saw blade
Use of the saw for purposes other than those for which it is intended can lead to quick failure or jamming during the sawing operation.
Check that moving parts are securely locked in place. Backlash in the blade or sliding lever can reduce accuracy.
Best to buy a crosscut saw complete with laser pointer and guide.
If you need to use the saw in places without electricity, it is worth buying a battery saw.
Low-powered power tools are suitable for home use. For professional purposes it is better to buy a more powerful model.
In terms of technical parameters the tool n Choose one depending on the type of work that will be done with the guide bar saw.
Makita LS1018LN crosscut saw
Saw is designed to cut wide products of wood, plastic, and laminate. Equipped with a laser that enhances cutting precision.
extends the life of the electric motor.
- Wall clamp that can be used to clamp the workpiece.
- Good grip, which allows the saw to be used in different working positions.
Bosch mitre saw GCM 12 GDL
Professional saw is aimed at woodworkers and craftsmen workshops. Powerful 2 kW motor withstands the loading of a 305 mm wheel.
- Laser guide with two beams that increase cutting precision.
- Handle comes with rubber grips for a comfortable grip.
- Sliding feet that make it possible to work on wide workpieces.
- Like many top crosscut saws for professional use, this model is also equipped with a powerful 2 kW motor.
- High build quality. no backlash, all important elements made of metal.
DeWALT DWS 780 mitre saw
Trimming saw with a dust bag is suitable for woodworking professionals. The 49° tilt will allow you to perform specific cuts.
- Top end mitre saws thanks to its stability, achieved by its ability to be fixed on the table.
- Depth stop allows precise cutting, making grooving easier.
- Branded positioning system makes it easy to calibrate the cutting line.
Makita LS1216 crosscut saw
The device is useful for cutting large wooden or plastic workpieces. With a swiveling ruler you can place the material as precisely as possible, resulting in a high quality of cut.
- Dust extraction duct with the possibility of connecting a construction vacuum cleaner.
- Clamping clamp that can help clamp the sawing material.
- Handle rests comfortably in the palm of your hand thanks to the rubber grip.
- Dual rail system for the smoothest possible carriage travel.
- Trimmer maintains stable speed under high load.
Cutting mitre saw Bosch GCM 8 SJL
Professional crosscut saw for cutting wood is designed for intensive use, which is ensured by a long service life of the engine.
- Engine power rating of 1 600 watts.
- Horizontal support that can be adjusted in width for cutting large workpieces.
- Solid support stands ensure the stability of the trimmer on any floor surface.
- Speed of up to 5,500 rpm.
- High quality materials and construction.
- Smooth cutting, precise angles.
- Quick and easy to calibrate the laser.
DeWALT DW717XPS mitre saw
Closes the crosscut saws’ top level with the American tool, which is positioned as the ideal solution for construction sites and carpenter’s workshops with high volume of work. The power of the trimmer is really high for woodworking. 1,675 watts.