STIHL 180 does not start when hot – Reason
Most likely the cause is in the muffler, which is clogged with combustion products (deposits) or just debris. Simply rinse it out and you should be able to get your chain saw going again. It is best to dismantle and wash this part, using ordinary detergents (aggressive detergents may be used). Then rinse the muffler thoroughly with clean water and dry it with a hair dryer.
Muffler cleaning usually gives a positive effect
When cleaning, be careful: soot contains carcinogenic substances that, if released into the lungs, can be harmful to health. The cause of sooting is the wrong mixture of gasoline and oil in the tank. Most users prefer to do it “by eye”. But it is not difficult to observe the exact proportions: it is enough to use a disposable syringe without a needle of the appropriate volume.
A chain saw does not start well when cold
Not following the correct procedure when starting in the cold
If a new chainsaw does not start in the cold, the cause may be in the wrong sequence of starting the engine. As a rule, each manufacturer specifies in the instruction to the chainsaw the procedure for starting it in the cold. It is basically similar for all two-stroke internal combustion engines that are installed on chainsaws, and is as follows.
- Closing the choke (necessary for enriching the fuel when starting).
- Sucking the fuel using a special primer (some chainsaws do not have a primer, and therefore this point is absent).
- Switching on the ignition (if this is forgotten, you could erroneously consider the tool to be faulty).
- Make several movements of the starter, until the first “flash” of the engine (it is important not to miss this moment, otherwise it is possible to “flood” the engine).
- Move choke shutter to the open position.
- Start the chainsaw engine.
Problems with fuel
As with hot starts, problems with the fuel system can affect cold starts, or make them impossible to start in cold conditions. Adjusting the carburetor, a dirty fuel filter and line are all causes of difficulty starting.
Diagnose the fuel system, it is the first thing to do when you have trouble starting in cold weather.
It is also worth paying attention to fuel quality, because.к. check the fuel quality, because if you use a mix of petrol and oil with too little water, it can be very difficult or even impossible to start the engine.
You need to use a fairly fresh mix, i.e.к. storage of diluted petrol for more than a month loses its properties and complicates start both on a cold and a hot engine. Gasoline can burn poorly for this reason.
Troubleshooting in the engine
Scoring of the cylinder-head, sticking of rings, wear of the cylinder-head, air drainage through gaskets and seals, compression decrease, all these problems can make start of a chainsaw impossible or make it very difficult. For example, if there is not considerable wear of the cylinder head, the compression in the engine is reduced. In this case, starting in the “cold” will be much more difficult, or the saw may stop. The tool will start fine.
To accurately diagnose problems in the engine associated with problems in its starting is quite difficult, and it is better to turn to a specialist in this field.
The saw does not start: causes and solutions
Faulty spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes a check can show that the problem is a faulty spark plug. In this case, it is removed, then let it dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be ruined and after that it will only be left to throw away. During troubleshooting you will have to remove the excess fuel by draining it through a hole in the fuel pipe.
- You should also keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. Once this kind of operation is complete, you can put it back in place and then test it out.
- In some cases the spark plug can break down because its service life is exhausted. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option left to solve this problem is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, and it is even better when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new spark plug in place of the existing one and see if the fault is caused by a failed spark plug.
- At the same time the inability to start the chain saw may be caused by a weak contact between the high-voltage cable and the end of the spark plug. The problem with starting the chainsaw can be related to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, because it is not repairable.
- A relevant question for many owners is about the correct idling after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks. According to experts, it is not particularly worth worrying about this. However, if you have to deal with such a problem often, it is enough to make manipulations with the carburetor, reducing the engine speed, in order to restore normal operation of the instrument.
- In some cases, the owner may need to perform muffler cleaning, because this part may be the cause of the malfunction. Performing this operation is simple enough. It should be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic operation of the chainsaw because of a faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases, to fix the problem can be simple enough, but it is preferable if the equipment will be repaired by professionals. After all, not every one of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during independent troubleshooting, there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
STIHL 180, Partner and other chain saws won’t start
In the world of chainsaws the number of models with different speeds, dimensions, capacities and other parameters is almost unlimited. But regardless of technical capability and cost, every saw reaches the end of its working life when the various components have exhausted their working life. A variant of manifestations of failure is the case when the chainsaw does not start at all attempts to do so. In this case, the start may initially work after a time, then less frequently, or the STIHL 180 stopped starting instantly. In some cases, every chainsaw can be characterized differently by the appearance of this malfunction:
- Gasoline tool spark or its technical protégé line Goodluck does not start after lying idle for a long time;
- The old Husqvarna stopped starting in the middle of work;
- Gasoline chainsaw release Partner or long-known for its popularity Druzhba does not turn on after prolonged load;
- Motor Sich 270 saw model does not start right away, and after another attempt it will shut down with low operating mileage;
- Ural chainsaw doesn’t want to start after self-maintenance.
The same applies to other saw models that have dried up the ability to start the tool. And although, at first glance, the causes remain known, the Makita dcs34 or other series of similar tools are not working already at the initial inspection will show the solution to the problem by their presence. Specialists online store “KosiKosa”, offering to buy a chainsaw in Kharkov are not only aware of the rules of the tool, but also able to identify the cause of the incidents that happened.
Chainsaw does not start well. Why?
If the chainsaw poorly starts in hot, as in any other case, the first thing to check the fuel level. If it is insufficient, based on the data specified in the instruction manual of the tool, prepare a fuel mixture in the necessary ratio of only high-quality gasoline and oil grade prescribed also in the datasheet. The volume of fuel is calculated for 1-2 weeks, during which it should be completely exhausted.
Next, the ignition system is checked, namely the plug itself and the contact of its tip and high voltage wire. If the spark plug has a layer of soot or is heavily soaked with petrol-oil mixture, unscrew it with a special key and clean and dry it thoroughly. You can remove the soot with an ordinary needle or awl, clean the spark plug electrodes with a fine sandpaper. Clean the fuel leaking from the spark plug holes and bleed the cylinder with the starter, beforehand cut off the fuel supply. Then either dried or a new spark plug is installed. The maximum allowable gap between its electrodes, depending on the brand, is 0.5-0.65 mm, and the gap between it and the flywheel high voltage wire should not exceed 0.2 mm.
To assess the condition of the fuel system, when unscrewing the spark plug also pay attention to the following: if it shows traces of fuel, it means that there is nothing wrong with the fuel mixture, but if it is dry, it means that no fuel enters the cylinder. It may be caused by a clogged breather plug (hole in the gas tank lid) or fuel filter.
Determine if the breather is clogged by disconnecting the fuel hose: if the fuel flows freely, the breather is clean, but if the jet is too slow or absent at all, the problem is detected. The breather plug can be cleaned with a needle, and the gently removed filter is either cleaned or replaced with a new one. It is recommended that this filter be changed at least every 3 months.
Insufficient fuel mixture in the cylinder may also be caused by the air filter or carburettor. Dusty air filter does not let in a sufficient amount of air, which leads to excessive enrichment of the fuel mixture and the corresponding malfunctioning of the engine. A dirty filter should be removed so that dust that has accumulated on it does not get into the carburettor, then wash it in water with some detergent and dry. But the adjustment of the carburetor chain saw, whether it is “Husqvarna”, “STIHL” or even “Partner”, it is best not to do it yourself, and take the tool to specialists.
The last reason why the engine does not start well may be the wear of parts belonging to the cylinder-piston group: scratches, chips, scoring on the surfaces of the cylinder, piston, bearings, etc.д. In this case, wear parts should be replaced. It should be noted that the manual attached to any chainsaw, as a rule, specifies the terms of operation of certain components. Therefore, in order for your tool to serve you as long as possible, it is necessary to change its parts in a timely manner.
Why the chainsaw will not start. causes and remedies. How the mechanism works
Almost all tools, and foreign (Husqvarna, Makita, STIHL, Partner 350), and Chinese chain saws, and domestic (Druzhba, Ural), are arranged similarly. Therefore, finding the reason why the machine does not start and stalls is not very difficult.
There are four elements in which problems can occur:
БЕНЗОПИЛА ПРИ НАГРЕВАНИИ ГЛОХНЕТ STIHL MS 180\В ЧЕМ МОЖЕТ БЫТЬ ПРИЧИНА\ КАК ПРОВЕРИТЬ УТЕЧКУ ВОЗДУХА
- Fuel, for which the carburetor is responsible ;
- Air, which comes through the air filter;
- The spark, the quality of which depends on the ignition unit.
They all depend on one another and interact with one another. If any part does not work properly, the saw stops working.
First of all, all tools start differently, either hot or cold. Two frequently used mechanisms are responsible for this process.
Be sure to see what the owner’s manual says. It says to make sure that when you turn it on, the emergency brake is engaged. But it is much more difficult to start the saw with the brake, so sometimes it is better not to engage the brake.
As you can learn from the manual, inside the housing are the fuel tank and the engine, and outside. the saw part (bar with chain), the handle and the starter.
At first it’s necessary to understand how exactly the tool won’t start. For example, the saw starts, but immediately stops, or loses power, cutting quality.
Maybe the malfunctions are due to problems with the engine. But I wouldn’t recommend disassembling it right away. It is better to look for the problem from the simplest version.
It’s very important to consider the quality of the fuel. If the mixture is prepared incorrectly or has deteriorated over time, even such reliable tools as the Ural or Husqvarna 145, will not work. Your manual should also give you the correct oil proportions for your chainsaw.
Another common problem is that the user fills up the spark plug when starting. It would need to be inspected. if it is completely dry, it means the fuel is not getting into the cylinder.
If you see black carbon deposits or a lot of fuel, the carburetor may not be adjusting properly.
If your saw starts but immediately stops, the problem is in the carburetor jets or fuel filter. They may be clogged.
To check if the breather valve is intact, you have to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and see if fuel mixture is leaking from it.
If the saw won’t start when hot, the problem may be in the muffler. Sometimes it gets clogged from the exhaust itself.
Quite often saw breakdowns occur because of insufficient lubrication for the chain. This can be caused by clogged ducts or a leaking oil line.
Also check the hose connections to the oil pump connections for leaks.
It is very bad when the failure occurred in the cylinder. When inspecting it, you may find bumps or chips, this may be the cause of the problem.
This is primarily due to wear on the cylinder, piston, rings, and crankshaft bearings. Failure of these elements eventually leads to a drop in compression (pressure) in the cylinder. Check the condition of the cylinder head when you remove the muffler. After disassembling this part, you will see a window through which you can see part of the cylinder. If it shows scoring or scratches, it will have to be replaced.
Parts for repair can be purchased at specialty stores or on the Internet
Next, you need to check the compression. If you do not have a special tool, unscrew the spark plug, plug the hole with your finger and pull the starter cord. If there is good pressure the finger will be sucked in. If there is a compressometer, but it must be inserted into the spark plug hole. Also turn the crankshaft by means of the starter and look at the instrument readings. The normal value is 8-9 kgf/cc. cm (corresponding to 0,8-0,9 MPa). Low compression is not necessarily due to a worn-out cylinder or piston: changing a ring that has become caked is sometimes sufficient.
Why the chainsaw starts and stops
If the saw still starts, but stops when you first try to work, the reason may be different. This can be caused by the chain sticking due to a lack of lubrication or by a problem with the chain brake, which makes further operation impossible. In this case, check the oil level in the reservoir. If everything is all right, the cause may lie in the tube leading the fluid to the lubricator. It can get clogged and break, stopping oil flow, or rupture, allowing oil to leak and never reach its destination. The cause is a problem with the carburetor. It is possible that its parts have fallen into disrepair, it requires cleaning or adjustment. In this case, it is quite difficult to determine the breakdown. Cleaning the carburetor is a rather complicated and monotonous task, which can not be performed by anyone. The same goes for checking the condition of its parts. It is better to leave this operation to professionals. The only thing that can be done at home (but only for some models) is to tune it. All instructions on how to do it are in the accompanying documentation.
The last reason is trivial. low fuel mixture in the tank. It appears when the chain saw cuts out while tilting. The mystery lies in the fact that when you run out of fuel when you tilt it accumulates in a certain part of the tank. When you tilt the suction tube, it can get blocked and you can stop getting fuel into the chamber.
There are full-fledged algorithms for finding the most typical failures and malfunctions, developed in the course of many years of use. Methods of eliminating starting problems prescribes a certain sequence of checking the operation of the fuel system and ignition. What to do first?
The problem is caused by a stuck piston in the cylinder or a destroyed crankshaft bearing. This happens when the engine overheats or runs for a long time on pure gasoline. The first reason is to let the power tool cool down and then pour a few drops of oil into the spark plug hole. The engine can be unclogged in most cases, but the incident may result in burrs on the piston. No effect on the chrome surface of the cylinder bore. If the measures taken do not lead to the desired result, the saw must be repaired in a specialist workshop.
STIHL 180 chain saw repair STIHL does not start. STIHL STIHL-180 chain saw does not start
Today the manufacturer STIHL takes a leading place among other companies that produce equipment designed for agricultural and construction work. The production of this manufacturer is known not only for its high quality level, but also for its optimal pricing policy and capacity of its models. It is probably quite difficult to meet a person who would not have a chainsaw of this brand.It is one of the world’s most renowned companies. But the fact that out of a possible ten, six people definitely have them. No wonder, because STIHL chain saws combine power with graceful design. But unfortunately, even such giants of equipment sometimes break down and need some kind of repair. Reasons for a STIHL chain saw that won’t start.
Why won’t my chainsaw Start. stihl 180
Returns under warranty and post-warranty service
Chainsaw maintenance includes:
- Watch the quality of gasoline and oil, on the basis of which you prepare the fuel mixture. Maintain the correct proportions;
- You should not use the fuel that was cooked more than two weeks ago. Check and clean the gasoline and oil tanks regularly, otherwise the engine will stall or the saw will not start at all;
Maintaining your chainsaw chain
- Clean the air filter regularly. This is a simple machine and this operation is not very demanding;
- Turn the bar upside down after each sharpening, you will extend the life of the bar;
- Regularly check and thoroughly clean the oil inlet and outlet ports, the oil channel, and the groove on the bar. Remember that a faulty automatic lubrication system can start or stop your chain saw;
Your instruction manual should be your guide. If you lose the manual, you can ask your chain saw company’s dealer and they will give you an instruction manual in electronic format.
So, before each start of the gasoline chain saw, always make sure that the chain is in good condition, that its teeth are sharpened, that it is well tensioned (not sagging, but also not too tight, it can be pulled away from the blade a little).
The chain can be sharpened with a special machine or file with a special template (depending on the tooth pitch of the chain, there are different templates).
Clean chain saw after each use: chain, guide bar, air filter, housing, cooling fins, slots and other openings. After use turn the bar so that it wears evenly, lubricate the chain sprocket (if there are lubrication slots in the front of the saw).
Always drain fuel and oil before storing for any length of time! The chain and bar form an electrochemical pairing which means they corrode together and should be stored separately.
STIHL 180 Starts poorly when hot for some reason
STIHL is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of agricultural and construction machinery today. The products of this manufacturer are known not only for their high level of quality, but also for their optimal pricing and capacity of their models.
Probably hard enough to meet a person who would not have a chain saw of this brand.This is one of the world’s most famous companies. But the fact that out of a possible ten, six people definitely have one. This is not surprising, because STIHL chain saws represent the power as well as the grace of design. But unfortunately even such giants of machinery sometimes break down and need some kind of repair. Today we’ll focus on one of the brands, the STIHL ms 180. Read about the STIHL ms 660 chain saw here. Here we go.
Stihl Chainsaw Won’t Start. The Reason Why Surprised Me
The essentials in a nutshell
This model is the pride of the German manufacturer and is a direct tool designed for a minor level of work. It can be used for no more than twenty hours a month. This great device will easily help you with tending your garden, making firewood for the winter time (see Firewood and Firewood Saving Kit), and keeping your garden clean and tidy. like sawing down a tree), to make cleared areas, and will also be indispensable in other areas of, shall we say, uncomplicated manipulation.
It can be said that it is a mini chainsaw, as it has a low weight of 3.9 kg, it does not have a large mass of tank, both oil and fuel tank. The manufacturer has equipped this device with a two-stroke engine quite enough power for light work.
over, it is quite quiet, as during operation the noise level does not exceed 98 dB. So that you better understand the volume itself, just compare its noise with spoken speech, which has a value of 76 dB.
The power of this model is equal to 2.6W. It is worth noting that this is quite a significant level of power, given the fact that it is not a professional chainsaw. The oil tank has a capacity of only 0.145 liters, and the fuel tank. 0.25 liters. The bar has a size of 350 mm, and the pitch is 0.325 in.
The basis of the plant of this type of model, as well as all other chain saws is a carburetor. But since we are specifically talking about the STIHL chainsaw 180 today, we won’t stray too far from the topic. So. carburetor in this model has a single tuning screw, that is a kind of adjustment screw of idle stroke. While the full-load nozzle is at a standstill, the idle stroke adjustment screw.
In simple words, we can say that it simply can not be adjusted (see “Adjusting the full-load jets” here). here), while the full-load setting simply can’t be changed. It is important that the carburetor at the factory has been adjusted so that regardless of what conditions are exploited directly on the chainsaw air-fuel mixture is supplied to the engine.
No saw starts: causes and solutions
First of all it is worth noting that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of its best creations, but it has its own shortcomings. Actually, which we are now going to talk about.
- It’s a pretty common problem that the STIHL 180 chain saw won’t start and fills the spark plug. The reason for this is that the oil that is poured to lubricate the chain starts to leak. As time is merciless and simply a breach of tightness is made in the place where the hose from the oil pump and oil tank is actually connected.Of course to solve this problem is possible, but, given the design of this chainsaw, to do so would not be so easy, as simply have to fully disassemble the device to, as they say, get to the right place. In the video you can see more clearly:https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many are concerned with the following question: why does not the STIHL 180 chain saw start?? If you believe the experts, in such a situation, you need first of all to make the opening, and then close the lid, which is on the gas tank. Or take it out and dry it. Or try to ventilate the combustion chamber. In most cases this is quite enough to start the machine. But there are cases when the STIHL chain saw does not start, but the spark is
- In the case above, you need to make a direct check of the gasoline supply, the air filter and the direct operation of the spark plug. Since the basis of this kind of failure is the breather, namely its contamination. Because when it’s completely clogged, it creates a kind of vacuum in the gas tank, which simply prevents the fuel supply process.It is not difficult to solve this problem, because all you need to do is to clean it by using a needle.
- There are also situations where the device basically starts, but immediately stalls.
Not starting the chainsaw when it is hot
Not starting my chain saw when it’s hot.
The main causes of this kind of failure are the carburetor and the filter, which simply could be clogged.
In order to make exceptions saloon from the objects of damaged must first of all be made to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check whether it leaks fuel.
- There can also be leakage at the connecting pipes or the connections themselves in the area of the oil pump connections.
- STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw sometimes fails to start on the cylinder which may be broken. But to determine its condition, visual inspection is enough. But if you find some bumps and chips there you can be sure that you have found the reason.
- If you find by checking that the fault is in the plug, you simply need to unscrew it, and then perform direct drying. But it is worth noting that you should not pierce it in any case, as you will simply ruin the part, and it will be unusable.You should also drain the fuel from it through a hole in the fuel container.
You should also remember that a drying out should take at least thirty minutes and only after this kind of manipulation you can put it back and actually try to make a direct start of the tool.
In addition, it could be that the expiration date of your plug has passed, in which case you need to replace it.So a good piece of advice is to always have a new spark plug or better yet a set of spark plugs. Then you can replace it at any time, and actually understand, whether it was the direct cause of the device failure. over, the cause of the breakdown may also be a weak contact that actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the spark plug. Also the cause may be a failure of the ignition unit. It is worth mentioning that in order to fix this problem it is necessary to replace the block itself, since it can not be repaired.
But it is worth noting that it is best if its repair will be dealt with by experts, because if you have the necessary knowledge and skills, you can simply finish it and have to buy a new.
It is important that even if you find the cause of the failure of the tool, it does not mean that you will be able to personally eliminate it. For there are this kind of breakdown, which can only be fixed by a specialist. If you have made a direct manipulation concerning the checking and changing of oil quality (see: “chain saw STIHL”). STIHL chain saw oil) but the chain saw still refuses to start, then you need to keep looking.
But if you fully performed all the above manipulations and did not miss a single nuance, but still the tool is still not fixed, then in this case the problem lies in the group, which is called cylinder. But if you still could not bring your iron friend back to life, then simply take your chainsaw to a service center, where you will have your device repaired.Also, do not forget to take care of the engine to know the ratio of gasoline and oil for chain saws read this article.
In fact, as you can see the causes of failure STIHL chain saw 180 enough and at the same time solutions to this problem is not little. If you are faced with this situation, then simply follow all the above written recommendations and then you will surely be able to repair your device, and it will please you with its work for many more years.