STIHL 180 does not start when hot
Chain lubrication system in chainsaw not working
What kind of chain lubrication system malfunctions?
If it is leaking, first of all we recommend carrying the oil to the bar and then cleaning it. Blockage is quite common.
If oil is leaking significantly (small oil leaks are normal in all gasoline-powered saws) check the oil pump tubing and fittings for leaks. The tubes can fall off or even crack. Leaky pipes can be sealed by either replacing the tubes or sealing.
As for the oil pumps, then different models of chain saws, they can be of different design, and the drive is also carried out differently (as a rule, the drive is carried out by a driving sprocket or a special gear on the crankshaft). If the problem is with the oil pump, then most often it is not necessary to replace this entire unit, it will be enough to replace its moving part (plunger), it most often fails due to ingress of large amounts of dirt and sawdust.
The most serious damage is a crack in the oil pump housing. In this case you need to replace it completely.
Most likely the cause is in the muffler, which is clogged with combustion products (deposits) or just debris. Simply clean it, and you will get your chain saw working properly again. To do this, it is best to dismantle the part and wash it using a conventional detergent (aggressive detergents may be used). Then rinse the muffler thoroughly with clean water and dry it with a hair dryer.
Why won’t my chainsaw Start. stihl 180
Muffler cleaning usually gives a positive effect
Be careful when cleaning: the soot contains carcinogenic substances which, if released into the lungs, can be harmful to health. The reason for the fouling is the wrong oil to gasoline ratio in the tank. Most users prefer to do it “by eye”. And it is not difficult to maintain the exact proportions: it is enough to use a disposable syringe without a needle of the appropriate volume.
STIHL chain saw 180 won’t start
Often the problem with the STIHL chain saw STIHL 180 is that it will not start. The oil used to lubricate the chain is leaking and is flooding the spark plug. You can fix it yourself. The important thing is to understand the mechanics of the machine and follow the repair instructions exactly. There is most likely a gap in the hose connection between the oil pump and the tank which can be easily fixed by simply tightening the connection.
STIHL chain saw STIHL 180 WILL NOT START, Causes and Solutions.
If the STIHL 180 starter is stuck, it is best to dry the spark plug. To do this, unscrew the spark plug and leave it out in the open air for a while. Or open and close the gas tank cap to remove any air lock that may have formed. If there is no serious problem, this is a good way to start the engine.
If the saw engine starts but immediately stops, the carburetor is defective. Clean it and bring it back into working order.
If a STIHL chain saw does not start but has a spark, the spark plug is still working and the air cleaner is still clean the breather plug is probably badly contaminated. A clog of dirt that has formed interferes with the movement of air. No fuel coming out of the engine. Clean the breather plug with a regular needle. In order to. To access the breather plug, disconnect the fuel hose and clean and inspect it at the same time.
If the STIHL chain saw ms 180 does not start when the engine is hot, i.e. after extended use, the muffler must be cleaned. During operation, a lot of waste has accumulated in it, which increases in volume as it heats up. And prevent normal tool operation.
Another reason for delayed starting may be lack of chain lubrication. check oil tank and oil pump.
Sometimes the STIHL chain saw does not start and in the presence of more serious failures. For example. cylinder malfunction. If on examination the part has visible defects, then the reason is in it.
STIHL 180 chain saw does not start? At RemTechService we can quickly find the cause of a malfunction and fix it straight away.
STIHL chain saw does not start well when cold
Now the manufacturer STIHL is in a leading position among other companies that create the production of equipment designed for agricultural and construction works. Products of this manufacturer are known not only for their high quality but also for their good price policy and the power of their models.
Who would not dream, it is not possible to meet a man who would not have had a chain saw this brand.One of the world’s most recognized brands. But the fact that out of 10 it is likely that 6 people definitely have them. All this is understandable, because STIHL chain saws combine power with elegance of design. However, unfortunately, such giants of equipment from time to time fall into disrepair and require some kind of repair. We are now going to focus on one of the brands, namely the STIHL ms 180 chain saw. Read about the STIHL ms 660 chainsaw here. What’s needed, let’s get started.
The STIHL chain saw STIHL 180 does not start: the main causes
There are many manufacturers of agricultural and construction implements on the market today, and the most popular choice is STIHL. The high quality level is not the only reason why this manufacturer is so popular on the market. This is also due to the democratic price and optimum power possessed by models of this brand.
I think a lot of people have had to use a chainsaw of this brand. And not just to use, but to do all kinds of jobs on a regular basis and to see how good their performance is. This proliferation of these products is no accident, considering that in addition to power, this tool stands out for its graceful design. But it should be remembered that this is still equipment, which has a limited resource. That’s why every owner of such a machine is faced with the need for repair at some point. Below we will talk about the peculiarities of STIHL 180 chain saw repair.
STIHL-180, Partner and other chain saws will not start
In the world of chainsaws, the number of models with different speeds, dimensions, consumption and other parameters is almost unlimited. But regardless of its technical capabilities and values, every saw reaches the end of its working life when the various components have reached their limits. A variant of the manifestations of the breakdown is the case when the chainsaw does not start at all attempts to this action. The STIHL 180 may not start right away, or it may not start as often, or it may stop starting right away. In some cases, each chainsaw can be characterized differently by the appearance of this ailment:
- Gasoline tool Spark or its technical protégé line Goodluck does not start after lying idle for a long time;
- Old Husqvarna stopped starting in the middle of work;
- The gasoline saw produced by Partner or the long-known for its popularity Druzhba does not start after a prolonged load;
- Motor Sich 270 saw model does not start immediately, and after another attempt it stops with low operating mileage;
- Ural chainsaw does not want to start after self-maintenance.
The same applies to other models of saws, which have dried up the ability to start the tool. And although, at first glance, the causes remain known, not working Makita dcs34 or other series of similar tools already at the initial inspection will show the solution to the problem by their presence. Specialists online store “KosiKosa”, offering to buy a chain saw in Kharkov are not only aware of the rules of the tool, but also able to identify the cause of the incidents that happened.
- Check and adjust the carburetor
- To measure the engine compression value and then make a corresponding conclusion about its good condition
- The compression in the crankcase is checked
Checking the compression in the cylinder allows you to assess the condition and efficiency of the cylinder head. A compressometer is needed to check compression. It is screwed into the spark plug hole, and then the starter handle is jerked. The compression gauge shows the correct value of pressure in the cylinder. It should be between 8 and 12 atmospheres.
If the pressure value is significantly lower, it is a direct sign of malfunction. In the case of a failure, the cylinder piston group is replaced by a new one. When installing a new cylinder rod, be sure to coat all parts with oil so as not to create chips or galling when the engine is started.
If there is no compression in the crankcase, the chainsaw will not start. The reason of pressure drop in the crankcase is the gasket, or rather its damage. This gasket is placed between the cylinder and the crankcase and to make sure that it is working, you should perform the following manipulations:
- Disconnect the fuel pipe from the tank
- Dip the tube into a container with a prepared mixture of petrol and oil
- Start the engine with the chain saw
- If the engine starts and fuel is sucked in, it indicates that the gasket is working properly
If the fuel doesn‘t suck in, the gasket should be replaced.
The carburetor is the chain saw’s most critical and complex component. If all of the above steps did not help to get a positive result, it indicates that the carburetor is defective. The main failure of the carburetor is to clog its channels and jets. Rarely, diaphragms and other elements fail. In any case, you will need to disassemble the carburetor. Perform its cleaning and replacement of the failed parts.
As you can see, there are many reasons why the chain saw won’t start. To find out what exactly happened in your case, you need to remember the symptoms of the day before. Perhaps before the chainsaw stopped starting, there were malfunctions in the engine, reduced power and performance, and other malfunctions were relevant. Based on these technical symptoms, the search should begin. If you do not know where to start, then the diagnosis should be carried out in order, as described in the material.
The basis of the winding of this type, as well as all other chainsaws, is the carburetor. But since we’re talking about the Shtil 180 chainsaw today, it doesn’t stray from the subject. So. The carburetor in this model has one tuning screw, that is, it is a kind of screw that sets the idle speed. As long as the fully charged jet is stationary.
In simple words, we can say that it is simply impossible to adjust it (see. Here), while the full-load setting can not simply change. It is important that the carburetor at the factory was designed so that, regardless of the conditions under which the chainsaw worked directly, the air-fuel mixture is fed into the engine.
Not start chain saw Shtil: causes and solutions
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of its best “creations”, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, of which we will now talk.
- A very common problem with STIHL-180 chain saws that won’t start and fills the spark plug. The reason for this is that the oil, which is poured to lubricate the chain, begins to leak. Since time is merciless and simply made leakage in the place where the hose is actually connected from the oil pump and oil tank.Naturally it is possible to solve this problem, but, given the design of this chainsaw, to do so would not be so easy, because simply have to fully disassemble the device to, as they say, get to the right place. You can see it more clearly in the video: https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many people wonder why the STIHL 180 chain saw won’t start? If you believe the experts, then in such a situation, you need first of all to open and then close the lid, which is located on the gas tank. Or to take out and carry out the drying of plugs. Or try to vent the combustion chamber. In most cases this kind of manipulation is enough to start the machine. But there are cases when the STIHL chain saw won’t start, but the spark is there
- In the above case, you need to make a direct check of the gasoline, air filter and the direct operation of the spark plug. As the basis of this kind of failure is a breather, namely its contamination. Because when it is completely clogged, there is a kind of vacuum in the gas tank itself, which simply prevents the process of fuel supply.Solving this issue is not difficult, as all you have to do is clean it by using a needle.
- There are also situations when the device basically starts, but immediately stalls.
The main causes of this kind of failure are the carburetor and the filter, which simply could be clogged.
In order to exclude the saloon from the damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and check whether the fuel leaks from it.
- There may also be leakage in the connecting tubes or at the oil pump connections.
- STIHL chain saw 180 is sometimes difficult to start because of a broken cylinder. But to determine its condition, a visual inspection is sufficient. But if you find bumps and chipping there too, you are sure you have found the cause.
- If you find through a check that the problem is in the plug, you simply need to unscrew it, and then carry out the drying. But it is worth noting that you should not pierce it in any case, as you simply ruin the part, and it will be unusable.You also need to drain the excess fuel from it through a special hole.
In addition you should remember that the drying out should be made for at least thirty minutes and only after this kind of manipulation you can put it back and actually try to make a direct start of the tool.
over, it may be that the expiration date of your plug has simply passed, in which case you should replace it.It is therefore a good piece of advice to always have a new spark plug or, better still, a set of spark plugs in reserve. Then you can replace it at any time and actually understand if it was the direct cause of the device failure. over, the cause of the breakdown may also be a weak contact which actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the plug. The ignition unit can also be broken. It is worth noting the fact that in order to fix this kind of problem it is necessary to replace the block itself as it can not be repaired.
But it is better to have it repaired by specialists, because if you have the necessary knowledge and skills, you can simply break it and buy a new one.
How to eliminate the causes of why the device does not start
It is important that even if you find the cause of the malfunction, it does not mean that you will be able to fix it yourself. Since there are this kind of breakage, which can only be corrected by a specialist. If you have done the direct manipulation of checking and replacing oil quality (see “Oil Quality”), you should be careful. STIHL chainsaw oil), but nevertheless the chainsaw still refuses to start in which case you need to keep looking.
But if you have fully performed all the manipulations prescribed above and did not miss a single nuance, but still the tool is still not fixed, then the problem lies in the group, which is called the cylinder. But if you still could not “bring back to life” your iron friend, then simply take your chainsaw to the service center, where you will have your device repaired.Also don’t forget to take care of the engine, to know the ratio of gasoline to oil for chainsaws read this article.