STIHL fs 55 malfunctions when idling
Main faults of electric trimmers
The reasons why an electric lawnmower won’t start or run fall into two main categories. mechanical and electrical.
In the first case, the causes of breakdowns can be:
- Blades locking up when trying to mow too hard grass or brush. In this case, the cylinder is released from the jammed grass and scroll the other way.
- Blunt or damaged blades. Blades sharpened or replaced.
- Incorrect positioning of blades, resulting in poor controllability of the equipment, reducing the quality of work. The problem can be eliminated by adjusting the air gap.
- Vibration and rattling from loose screw connections. Bolt connections regulate.
- On models with a fishing line, problems with the trimmer reel may occur. The line may run out, break or get tangled.
- The cause of the electric lawnmower stalling immediately after starting or during operation may be a breakage of the supply cable or loss of power to the mains.
- Electric grass trimmer for grass is very hot and can smoke. Engine overheating and its probable failure can be caused by too long work or overload, which is caused by blocking the cutting elements by some foreign objects. Sparks and smoke can be caused by improperly selected or misaligned brushes.
- One of the reasons why an electric lawnmower won’t start is a faulty control button.
Lawn mower stops when you press the gas: Causes and solutions
Lawn mower and gasoline grass trimmer for grass. machines that do not just mow the grass, and mow it up to several times more than their counterparts with an electric motor. One day the lawn mower or gasoline trimmer stalls for a while, and the cutting of the grass immediately comes to a standstill.
Why the lawnmower cuts out: Causes and solutions
The reason why your tool sharply stops working, namely the engine does not pick up speed, breaks them off, or in the popular manner “stalls”, there may be more than one. Often it is not only the engine itself that is to blame, but also the adjacent systems, units of the unit, completely other parts related to the preparation of the fuel-air mixture, its quality, transportation to the engine tool. Let’s consider the most typical situations:
- It does not pick up speed. The mechanics of the engine drive may be damaged or there may be problems with the carburetor, but the main reason is the clogging of the air filter. To change the situation, you need to remove it, clean it, and if the latter it is no longer subject to be replaced by a new, promptly making an order on our website. Also the grass mower will not pick up speed if the cable from the carburettor keeps coming off. disassemble the machine and fix it firmly, or buy a new one if the element is found to have cracks, other types of deformation.
- At high revs. The cap on the gas tank is clogged. you need to clean it or buy a new one. often it is a carburettor that is out of adjustment. We give information about the correct adjustment of all screws in the informative articles. Check the quality of the fuel hose and replace with a new one if necessary.
- When heated. Occurs at moments when the fuel in the carburetor is literally boiling. May also appear in variants if the carburettor choke is of the sparser, rotary type (not disc type). Only option is to replace carburetor with a new one. There is also a variant of a punctured wire or ignition coil. In this case, change the element of the last.
- Starts and shuts off (right after starting). An unadjusted or misadjusted carburetor is the main cause of this situation. A distinct vibration will indicate an uneven fuel supply, and correct the situation will help competent adjustment of the node.
We hope you have found the right answer to the question: why does the lawn trimmer stalls, and all the suggested parts of the catalog today, as always, are at your service. Do you need a grass trimmer piston for grass, a new carburetor, or related to the work of these systems. you will find everything on the expanses of the store “Benzo Zip”.
What to do if your weed trimmer shuts down when you press the gas?
So, why does the grass trimmer stall when you step on the gas ? There are several possible causes.
- The carburetor was damaged after a bad winter or too much use of the brushcutter. Gasoline grass trimmer for grass works on the air-fuel mixture, which he prepares the carburetor. If not properly adjusted, this mechanism prepares a lean mixture that is not capable of providing the engine with high enough RPMs. You can tell a problem with the carburetor by the characteristic vibrations of the lawnmower.
- You can tell if the fuel filter is clogged by the grass trimmer starting and stopping. In other words, the fuel supply is enough to start the brushcutter but not enough to keep it running. it might be possible to solve the problem by loosening the valves on the filter. If not, you should wash the filter in solvents and blow it out with compressed air. if even this does not solve the problem, you should buy a new fuel filter.
- If the engine stops at speeds close to maximum, then there may be a problem with the breather, which regulates air access to the gas tank. If the fuel consumption is too fast, which is typical when you give gas, there is a rarefied pressure in the gas tank, which reduces the flow of fuel into the engine.
- The engine stalls when the choke is opened. The problem, again, is related to the carburetor, which, because of excess air, prepares a lean air-fuel mixture that is not able to provide engine performance.
How to Start Diagnosing Your Lawnmower
If the lawn mower won’t start or cuts out straight away after starting, all major components need to be checked one by one. The check algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and spark plug line;
- Air filter
- Fuel filter;
- The breather plug;
- Exhaust port.
These assemblies are most often the source of major problems, which can be corrected after a thorough inspection.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of a gasoline grasshopper, check the availability, and quality of the fuel mixture. Don’t be cheap, greedy or “smart” about it. Repair or replace a piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). To prepare the oil-fuel mixture, it is necessary to strictly follow the instructions. Calculate its quantity from real needs. Excessive gasoline left behind loses its qualities over time.
Carry out diagnostics of a spark plug and a spark plug channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is clear and the lawnmower stops on start-up, the cause may be a primed plug. A simple spark plug wrench (every motorist is sure to have one) and a spare spark plug will do the job.
- We unscrew a candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not burn it);
- Excess fuel in the chamber is drained through the spark plug hole and dry it;
- The old candle is cleaned from soot with a nail file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap of 1 mm (you can check it with any coin);
- Put everything back in place and try to start the weed trimmer for grass.
Dry the channel at least 30-40 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk to re-fill and a new candle.
If the plug is working, the socket where it is located is completely dry, and the lawn trimmer does not want to start, lubricate the threaded joint with gasoline. The air filter has to be slightly dampened. No matter how great the spark may be, there is simply nothing to ignite in the dry chamber.
If the grass trimmer engine still does not start, you should rule out such a cause as a lack of spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire. If the connection is good, but there is still no spark, most likely, you “flew” the ignition unit. You can’t do without a handyman here, because the air filter. к. the part is not repairable, but is sold as a complete unit.
Lawnmower Filter Diagnosis
Another reason for stalling a gasoline grass mower for grass can be the air filter. To rule it out, try removing the filter and starting the grass trimmer without it. If it does, then you’ll have to replace the air filter with a new one, or at least blow out and thoroughly clean the old one.
Not start gasoline grass trimmer for grass may be due to contamination of the fuel filter. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and change it with new one, if necessary. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is forbidden by any instruction manual. Hurry may turn out to be a repair of engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust duct
Often “delicate” brand-name models of chain saws don’t start and stop because of the clogged breather valve. The main function of this element is to equalize pressure in the gas tank. If the node is clogged, it creates a vacuum in the tank, preventing fuel supply. The problem can be corrected by cleaning the breather plug. You can use an ordinary needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of a combustion engine can be impaired by dirt in the exhaust channel or a clogged muffler screen. This problem is encountered on older generation models. The problem can be solved by the traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-sparking grid.
Adjusting the carburetor of the lawnmower of the German manufacturer
The use of lawn mower in works with landscaping involves the presence of wear and tear, and sometimes breakage of its mechanisms. But since this tool can not be attributed to complex household appliances, all breakdowns are solely mechanical in nature, which can be corrected with your own hands. In some cases, it is enough to carry out adjustment work that returns the tool to normal working condition. One such operation is the adjustment of the lawnmower carburetor in manual mode. The task of the carburetor is to mix air with fuel before feeding it into the engine. And if the proportions do not match, there will be visible failures in the work of the grass trimmer for grass:
The whole process of adjusting the carburetor of a brushcutter brand involves only adjusting the position of the three screws: L. adjustment of gasoline supply in the scythe at low rpm, H. adjustment of high rpm and fuel consumption, T. adjustment of idle speed. So, if it is necessary to adjust the carburetor of the gasoline mower for grass line 55 or other types of this series, the following steps are performed:
- Warm up the engine (10 minutes of idling is enough).
- Adjust the H screw by turning to the left/right until the maximum idle speed is reached.
- From the point found, turn counterclockwise by ¼ turn, which will set the desired working position.
- Setting the idle speed of the gasoline mower carburetor is similar, turning counterclockwise (reducing speed) and clockwise (increasing speed). The position of the maximum stability of the work of the motor at different positions is reached.
- Screw L is adjusted the same way, with small rotations up to the maximum indicator.
The whole process is carried out by ear, so for a more successful work, it is worth getting a tanometer. You can have your tool serviced as accurately as possible by “STIHL Grasshopper Motors” and buy compressor oil and all the necessary spare parts and components for timely maintenance.
STIHL 180 Turns Off When Hot
Everyone has a machine breakdown. the STIHL MS 180 chainsaw is no exception. Today we’ll try to find out why the chain saw stops when revs are turned up, why it idles and why it runs at full throttle. Check our diagnosis and troubleshooting tips for this STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw.
IMPORTANT. Experienced electrician leaked the secret how to pay half as much for electricity, the legal way. Continue reading
Why the chainsaw stops when you press the gas
Let’s say your chainsaw is running fine at idle but sharply pressing the gas stops. What might be the reason? It is immediately clear that it’s not the ignition (ignition failure). к. If the ignition is off and there’s no spark, the machine just won’t start. That leaves the fuel system.
Faults in the fuel system are many and to determine the exact cause of why the STIHL 180 chain saw cuts out when you press the gas, it is necessary to conduct a complete diagnosis. We recommend reading about common chain saw malfunctions STIHL CHAIN SAW 180 and their remedy.
Checking the filter
First thing to check is the fuel filter.
In some cases, a clogged air filter is unable to keep the fuel-air mix flowing properly. The system is running short of fuel which means that when you step on the gas the fuel will burn out and a new one has not yet had time to be delivered and as a result there will be a shortage of fuel STIHL chain saw Stops. If the fuel filter is clogged, you might notice that the maximum rpm output goes down even more, but the dirt is only slight.
On the World Wide Web, it has been reported that the STIHL 180 chain saw can shut down because the air filter is very dirty. To refute this misinformation we would like to inform you that the STIHL carburettor is an air compensator which is designed to bypass the contaminated air intake filter and thus allows the STIHL 180 to provide excellent fuel economy. Sure, it would lose a little power if the air filter was clogged, but it would not shut down. power can drop due to piston wear and tear, then you need to repair the piston chain saw STIHL MS 180.
One of the reasons why a chainsaw doesn’t rev up when you step on the gas, but cuts off is because of a faulty carburetor. Let’s say your STIHL 180 was running fine and then you let it sit for a long time without using it. After that, we started it and it runs fine at idle and then when you hit the gas it might stall. Why does it choke?? The reason is a stuck carburetor valve nozzle. Of course, it is not 100%, but the probability of such a malfunction is high. We recommend reading our article on carburetor construction and repairing the STIHL 180.
To check the nozzle, you need to remove the carburetor and disassemble it. To remove, you must unscrew the two nuts fixing the air filter and carburetor, and then remove the air filter and engine control lever, while disconnecting the rod control air damper from the carburetor. Then it is necessary to pull a little the carburetor itself, and disconnect the hose of fuel supply.
It is necessary to remove the fuel hose as carefully as possible, and prepare in advance a plug for it, t. к. Fuel should come out of it.
having removed the carburetor it needs to be purged and cleaned from dirt, only after that the carburetor can be unscrewed.
Unscrew the carburettor main chamber cover, this is the one with the compensator on top. Further, with the help of a bolt for 8 mm and length of not less than 50 mm. Knock out the valve.
STIHL 230 stops after a short period of work
The carburettor valve should be knocked out on a wooden block to prevent damage to the housing.
After the nozzle is removed, you can blow it out with a compressor. The valve must let air in one direction only, if you can blow freely in both directions, then the valve is defective and must be replaced with a new one. Reassemble the chainsaw after the valve is repaired, you must follow the reverse sequence of disassembly.
To watch visually how the repair of the carburetor, or rather how to knock out the valve jets from the carburetor housing you can watch video.
Another common reason why the saw may stall at higher rpm is air leaking into the carburettor. It is possible to check it only having a special tool, but it is worth noting that if preventive work with the carburetor has not been carried out for a long time, you can install a new set of gaskets in the carburetor. In some cases, this helps to solve the problem with its depressurization.
Disassembling the carburetor to replace the gaskets, you must carefully inspect its needle valve, press the rocker arm and check its lifting. Sometimes, especially after a STIHL chain saw has been sitting with fuel in the carburetor for an extended period of time, the needle can stick to the carburetor housing and not perform. Simply put, the needle valve will not let the fuel mixture flow. If so, the saw will not work.
Why does it stall when idling?
The first and most frequent cause is improper adjustment of the carburetor. To adjust the throttle trigger you need the STIHL adjustment screwdriver that comes with the machine. The regulating hole is on the right side of the STIHL 180 on the handle and is marked with. и.
If a STIHL chain saw does not hold rpms and stops idling, you can be almost 90% sure that it has a problem with the fuel pump, usually it is air drain into the crankcase through the sump gasket, or much more often through the crankshaft oil seals. Air intake reduces or completely blocks the pulse to the chainsaw fuel pump through special channels. As a result, the STIHL 180 chain saw does not get the right amount of fuel and shuts down at idle speed.
To make a diagnosis, you can use a special device called a vacuum gauge.
The second way to check the performance of seals, is to pour gasoline in the crankcase and look at them, if the seals will skip gasoline, then they can not provide the normal pressure in the crankcase, which will make the work at idle impossible. And when working at high speeds, with leaking seals, there is a chance of seizure of the crankshaft bearings.
The algorithm for checking the crankcase and oil seals of the STIHL 180 is as follows:
- Removing the top cover.
- Remove the air filter housing and carburetor.
- Remove the chain saw handle.
- Unscrew and remove the starter.
- The side cover and the drive sprocket are removed from the opposite side of the starter.
- You put a piston stopper in the spark plug hole or put a piece of string from an old starter with knots tied on it in the cylinder.
- The flywheel and clutch are unscrewed, after which the parts are removed. It is worth knowing that the chainsaw clutch has a left-hand thread and is unscrewed in a clockwise direction.
- To remove the pinion of the oil pump drive.
Disassemble the STIHL MS 180 chain saw, you can see the seals, then you need to fill the crankcase with gasoline and check for leaks. Fill the crankcase through the fuel window in the cylinder, to do this the piston must be raised as much as possible. If you notice any leaks you must either replace the leaking seals or re-seal the pan. The STIHL 180 can be reassembled by following the reverse sequence.
Why does the saw stalls at full throttle?
You often hear the question: Why does the chain saw quit when the engine is running? There are several possible causes. First, it is necessary to take into account exactly how the saw stalled. Suppose the tool was working fine and suddenly, for no apparent reason suddenly stopped and the starter does not turn. In such a situation, you can be 100% sure that the chainsaw has jammed and you need to proceed with its overhaul.
Ремонт STIHL FS 55 плохо заводится / глохнет при нажатии на газ
The second situation is when the STIHL chainsaw 180 was working fine, then gradually over a short period of time lost power and stalled, with overheating of the cylinder. In that case, most likely the cause is air leakage under the rubber pipe connecting the carburetor to the cylinder or a tear in the pipe. The mixture becomes lean and overheated as a result. To eliminate the cause of the problem you can change the tube.