STIHL ms 180 does not start – spark plug fills up
STIHL chain saw 180 repair and troubleshooting
Good afternoon, dear readers and subscribers of my blog! At some inopportune moment you may find that your chainsaw won’t start. But do not rush to immediately take the tool for repair, you may be able to fix the breakdown yourself. I will tell you what to do in cases where the chainsaw does not start, and how to find the right solution to the problem.
We analyze possible causes of failure
Find why the tool cannot be run in the manual itself. But it doesn’t always come up with the instructions.
Although each model has its own specifics, they are all generally similar. So I will tell you the possible reasons for the breakdown and possible solutions for different tools.
How the mechanism works
Almost all tools and foreign (Husqvarna, Makita, Shtil, Partner 350) and Chinese chain saws, as well as domestic (Druzhba, Urals) are organized in the same way. Therefore, it is not very difficult to find the reason why the tool does not start and stop.
There are four elements in which problems can arise:
- Fuel, for which the carburetor is responsible;
- The air that comes through the air filter;
- Spark, the quality of which depends on the ignition unit.
They all depend on each other and interact with each other. If any item is not working properly, the saw stops working.
To begin with, all tools are set up differently. hot and cold. Two commonly used mechanisms are responsible for this process.
Don’t forget to look at what is written in the owner’s manual. It says that when you turn it on, you need to make sure that the emergency stop brake is engaged. But starting a saw with a brake is much harder, so sometimes it’s better not to engage the brake.
As you can see from the manual, there is a fuel tank and motor inside the housing, and the outside. saw section (guide bar with chain), handle and starter.
First we need to find out exactly how the tool does not start. For example, the saw starts but immediately catches the eye or loses power of operation, quality cuts.
Why the chainsaw won’t start. causes and remedies
Each model has its own weaknesses. Some saws require regular adjustment of the carburetor. Others have a defect in the chain lubrication system. Be that as it may, any breakdown can be eliminated with your own hands, if you understand what its cause is, and what its signs are.
What to do if the chainsaw stalls when you press the gas?
As a rule, chainsaw owners start to encounter this problem after the first 6 months of intensive use. There may be several reasons for this malfunction.
- Using a fuel mixture prepared in the wrong proportion. If you regularly pour poor-quality gasoline in the tank of the chainsaw, in which too much or little oil is mixed, the tool will not start. In this case you will need to drain the fuel, as well as dry the engine cylinder. To do this, pull the starter rope sharply several times. After that, you need to pour in properly prepared fuel, and start the saw’s engine;
- The spark plug is flooded with oil when you start the engine. You can solve this problem by removing, cleaning and drying the spark plug. After 30 minutes the spark plug is dry and can be re-inserted. After that it will be necessary to start the chainsaw;
- Lack of spark. This indicates poor contact between the factory high-voltage wire and the spark plug lug. If the contact is intact, but there is still no spark, you need to check the electronic unit of the chainsaw’s ignition system. This element cannot be repaired, so it will need to be completely replaced;
- clogged air filter. This part of the saw needs to be regularly cleaned of debris, small insects, and dust. Otherwise, air will not enter the carburetor, where it should enrich the fuel mixture. The result is that the chain saw will not start. To fix the problem it is necessary to clean the filter or replace it.
In most cases the chainsaw stops starting due to the use of low-quality fuel and engine oil. Do not skimp on the lubricants, because this will lead to a difficult and time-consuming repair.
Why does the carburetor quit when idling?
The first and most common cause of this malfunction is improper carburetor adjustment. You can adjust the idle speed yourself, for this you need the STIHL adjustment screwdriver that comes with the machine. The adjustment hole is on the right side of the STIHL 180 on the handle and is marked with “-” and “-“.
If a STIHL chain saw does not hold rpms and stops idling, it is probably 90% certain that there is something wrong with the fuel pump, usually an air leak in the crankcase through the oil pan seal or more commonly through the crankshaft oil seals. Air suction reduces or completely stops the pulse, which is fed through special channels to the fuel pump of the chainsaw. As a result, the STIHL 180 chain saw will not get enough fuel and will stop when idling.
To make a diagnosis, you can use a special device called a vacuum gauge.
The second way to check the functionality of the oil seals, is to pour gasoline into the crankcase and look at them, if the glands will leak gasoline, they can not provide the normal pressure in the crankcase, which would make the work at idle impossible. And when working at high RPM, with leaky seals, there is a chance of jamming the crankshaft bearings.
Check the crankcase and oil seals of the STIHL 180 for leaks as follows
- Top cover removed.
- The air filter housing and carburetor can be disassembled.
- The chainsaw handle can be removed.
- The starter motor is unscrewed and removed.
- On the opposite side of the starter removes the side cover and the drive sprocket.
- A piston stopper is installed in the spark plug hole, or a string from an old starter with knots tied on it is stuffed into the cylinder.
- The flywheel and clutch are unscrewed, after which the parts are removed. It is worth knowing that the chainsaw clutch has a left-hand thread and is unscrewed in a clockwise direction.
- Remove the oil pump gear.
After taking the STIHL MS 180 chain saw apart you can see the oil seals and after that you need to fill the crankcase with gas and check for leaks. Fill the crankcase, you can through the fuel window in the cylinder, to do this, the piston must be raised as high as possible. If leaks are detected, it is necessary to replace the defective seals, or re-seal the sump. To reassemble the STIHL 180 use the reverse sequence of the instructions.
What to do when the spark plug fills up on the chainsaw
Before heading to the service center, it is not unreasonable to try to fix the current problem of plugging on the chainsaw yourself. Of course, it is relevant only if you have “straight” hands, because, otherwise, there is a high probability of increasing the cost of repair work.
The chemical composition of low-octane gasoline includes various alcohol components. For their complete combustion it takes more time than when using quality fuel, respectively, it becomes the main reason of chain saw plug failure.
Unfortunately, many citizens naively believe that fuel containing alcohol has a positive effect on gasoline consumption and buy fuel substitutes. Economy is sometimes true, but such fuel has a negative effect on the chainsaw engine, reducing its service life.
As a rule, during the first start of the chainsaw, inexperienced men miss the “pop” when the air damper is closed and keep pulling the starter. Because of this, a large amount of fuel accumulates in the combustion chamber, but the air is critically lacking. The spark plug is flooded with an excess of gasoline and a spark is out of the question.
Due to heavy contamination of the chainsaw’s paper filter, not enough oxygen is flowing into the fuel chamber. The fuel mixture has no time to ignite and the gasoline floods the spark plug. If the filter has already used up its life time (you can tell by its appearance), it must be replaced. If there is no new filter at hand, but it is still necessary to work, it is possible to try to blow out the filter with a reverse air stream.
Chainsaws from different manufacturers and model lines are different from each other. To clean or change the filter it is worthwhile to look in the manual first. Well, or take a look in there if you can’t remove the filter without prompting.
Malfunction of the ignition system
This is probably one of the most difficult problems to overcome in order to use the chain saw in the future. There can also be several reasons for the malfunction.
In the majority of cases the spark plug gap should be between 0.5 and 1.2 millimeters. ( specific data is in your owner’s manual.). In order to check whether this is the case, it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- Using a screwdriver or special wrenches unscrew the bolts that fix the cover of the chainsaw.
- Gaining access to the flywheel and the magnetic coil, check the level of clearance.
- If it does not meet the characteristics declared by the manufacturer, with the help of a special pad or improvised means (an ordinary sheet of A4 paper folded several times will do) you can set the correct distance.
The problem is in the ignition coil
To be sure that the ignition coil is in good condition, you need to know how to use a multimeter. This gauge measures the degree of resistance of the coil. A good coil will have a resistance. In a burnt-out one, there is a breakage or short circuit.
If the coil is intact, the clearance between the coil and the flywheel may be broken. To adjust it, you need to perform a number of simple steps:
- Disassembling the body of the saw and loosening the bolts on which the ignition system is fixed. The magnet of the flywheel must be fitted to the coil itself.
- The adjustment plate is inserted between the flywheel magneto and the coil itself. The gap should be within 0.2 mm.
- After tightening the bolts the adjustment plate is taken out.
- It is obligatory to crank the handwheel completely and several times (2-3 times will be enough). At the same time it should not cling to the coil.
- The final step is the assembly of the chainsaw body.
Failure of carburetor adjustment
Often the spark plug on a chainsaw fills up because the carburetor isn’t working properly. For more clarity, we recommend watching this video
If this is the first time you will be setting up a carburetor yourself, pay attention to the following factors:
- Availability of built-in compensators and other elements of automatic control makes adjustment without special equipment impossible. In this regard it will be necessary to refer to a specialized service center.
- If the adjustment of the carburetor is ineffective, the cause of plugging will be a hanging float or a leaky valve.
The advantages of STIHL chain saw repair at
Ordering a service from us, you will get access to the following advantages:
- Only STIHL-trained and experienced service technicians;
- different payment options;
- the workshop is open seven days a week;
- consultations are free of charge;
- We cooperate with individuals and legal entities;
- even in peak seasons, the cause of the problem can be resolved within a day or two;
- are fixed and do not increase in the course of work.
STIHL STIHL-180 chain saw does not start: first causes
Today there are many manufacturers of machines for agricultural and construction work, among which the most popular is the equipment made by STIHL. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This is also due to the affordable price and optimum power possessed by the models of this brand.
I think many have had to use a chainsaw of this brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a variety of works and make sure of the high performance of this tool. Such a distribution of these products is not accidental, given that in addition to power, this tool stands out graceful design. However, it should be remembered that this is still a machine that has a limited operating life. Therefore, every owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need to repair. The following section covers STIHL 180 chain saw repair.
STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw carburetor malfunctions. Why the STIHL 180 carburetor overflows and shows a few typical problems
After we examined the structure of the carburetor to determine the cause of the fuel in the combustion chamber in a larger volume is not difficult. It occurs due to wear of the gasket between the compensator cap and the carburettor body. You might ask how it affects the diaphragm?
The answer is simple, when the gasket shrinks, it lets the diaphragm on top of it down a fraction of a millimeter. That, in turn, puts more pressure on the yoke of the needle valve. The carburetor will open more than it should and the fuel will overflow (it will overflow).
Another reason is the stretching of the diaphragm itself, this is the result of natural wear and tear. It is impossible to prevent this process, but you can solve the problem by periodically changing all the gaskets, carburetor diaphragms, and the fuel pump. There is a repair kit for this.
Chainsaw STIHL 250 Starts And Stops Reasons Why A Chainsaw Starts And Stops A chainsaw has long been a necessary implement for those people who have a cottage or home ownership. However, as well as no matter what other equipment, this tool tends to fail, despite the uncomplicated device. The systemization of the main defects of the content of the STIHL chainsaw starts badly Causes What to do if the chainsaw does not start Good day, dear readers and subscribers of my blog! At one inopportune moment You can easily find that your chainsaw won’t start. But do not rush to surrender the tool for repair, you can without problems and remove the breakage itself. I’ll show you what to do when the engine doesn’t start Electric STIHL Electric Chainsaw Videos Electric Saws MSE 170 CQ, MSE 190 CQ, MSE 190 C-BQ, MSE 210 C-BQ, MSE 230 C-BQ, MSE 250 C-QPromo-msk.MSE 170 CQ, MSE 190 CQ, MSE 190 C-BQ, MSE 210 C-BQ, MSE 230 C-BQ, MSE 250 electric chainsaws Overview. STIHL MSE 141C electric chainsaw Overview.WHY ARE THERE SO FEW Комментарии и мнения владельцев ON MY OCCASIONAL CAVEAT ABOUT THE 40-LB BUS
Why the STIHL chain saw will not start
For preliminary diagnosis of the causes, check the gas pump, spark plug appearance, fuel flow, carburettor functionality and filter condition. Pay attention to the functionality of the cylinders, pistons, muffler, crankshaft bearings. After precautionary test the chain saw can be started. Insufficient lubrication of friction parts may also be a factor in poor performance.
Checking the spark plug ignition. Various factors can affect the function of the element. When testing the mechanism, the causes are identified:
Because of work in such conditions, soot builds up on the spark plug contacts. Subsequent corrosion of the conductors is the reason for the absence of spark in half of all faults. This happens because the gap between the module contacts changes. To check the spark do the following:
- The tip of the high-voltage cable is removed;
- the spark plug is unscrewed;
- Tip is put back in place;
- The spark plug is leaned with its wide end against the cylinder;
- start the starter.
If a bright spark which resembles lightning appears between the electrodes when starting, then the ignition unit is defective. If there is no flash, the entire element is cleaned and the gap between the conductors is adjusted. Sometimes there is no gap between the flywheel and the ignition coil. If the flywheel is rubbing, scratches are visible on its exterior.
Ignition coil malfunction
The module or coil cannot be disassembled, and its suitability is difficult to ascertain without testing equipment. Modern ignition systems are sturdy, lightweight and small in size. They are characterized by almost fail-safe functionality. Problems with chainsaw malfunction due to the ignition coil can be corrected by yourself.
Test the leads for damage (i.e., the spark plug and the ignition coil). ч. internal), which are caused by vibration, leading to friction. If no cracks are found, then the ignition coil needs to be replaced. Sometimes the module malfunction is indicated by a weak, barely perceptible flash when the saw heats up. This is caused by an increase in coil temperature, which leads to an increase in transistor resistance.
The peculiarity is that the spark can appear at the beginning of work, but it becomes dull and goes out after extended use. Today’s modern ignition coils cannot be repaired in a home workshop and must be replaced with serviceable parts.
After unscrewing the spark plug, wet patina is seen on the surface of the spark plug. This indicates too much gasoline in the combustion chamber. This is why the machine does not run or stops working, i.e. because the fuel system is blocked. к. Fuel does not ignite.
Another obstacle is a clogged breather. the small hole in the fuel filler flap. Clean it with a needle, otherwise the STIHL MS 180 chain saw will not start. To determine the improper fuel supply, carry out the following steps
- Remove the plug;
- Using a syringe, pour two cc’s of gasoline into the spark plug hole;
- put the ignition device in place and put the cap on the high-voltage wire;
- set the lever to the hot start position;
- pull the starter handle a couple of times.
If the instrument starts and immediately stalls, the fuel line is tested further. Check gasoline filter, crankcase splash out, pump bulkhead intact when unscrewing cap.
Crankshaft bearings breakage
If the bearings are defective, a slight backlash is felt. Find it by turning the STIHL MS 180 handwheel from side to side. Motion indicates that the flywheel is shifted toward the electrodes by its own magnets, resulting in a lack of spark. To remove the mechanism remove the cutting element, remove the filter and clutch cover. To stop the crankshaft remove the manual starter cover and tighten the two bolts.
Unscrew the clutch by using a clockwise wrench. Remove the drum with the sprocket, change the old clutch and screw it all the way. If the crankshaft is blocked so as not to damage the starter. Assemble the mechanism in the reverse order. To tighten, the brake handle is tilted forward, the tool is started, then the brake is removed.
Rarely defective bearings are detected (holes in the cage are enlarged in diameter). To determine, disassemble and measure with a micrometer. Broken bearings are indicated by a regular knocking sound. In this case, require urgent repair, t. к. If the crankshaft is broken, the piston group and cylinder will fail.
Filled spark plug
In this case the spark is not able to ignite the fuel, which in large quantities goes into the furnace to burn the combustion mixture. If the spark plug floods, the carburettor is defective or the engine does not start correctly when cold. Blow out the engine, the procedure is performed with the ignition off and away from the open flame. To ensure ignition of the fuel at start-up, clean the mechanism:
- unscrew the spark plug, wipe it dry, dry it for half an hour;
- A large layer of soot is removed with a file;
- adjust the gap between the contacts;
- turn the tool upside down and drain the gasoline;
- in this position jerk the starter several times (to remove fuel residues);
- Reassemble in reverse order.
Mechanical seizure of the piston or crank mechanism
This fault is caused by the piston seizing up in the cylinder or destruction of the crankshaft bearing. This occurs when the engine is overheated or runs continuously on pure gasoline.
In the first case, it is recommended to cool the power unit, and then pour a few drops of engine oil into the spark plug hole. The engine can be unclogged in most cases, but the consequence of this incident can be scoring on the piston. The chrome surface of the cylinder mirror is not affected by tacking.
If these measures do not help, have the saw repaired in a professional workshop.