The chainsaw chokes when you press the throttle
The Husqvarna 142 throttles on the throttle
Hello! If you have ended up on this site, it is likely that your chainsaw does not cut out when you step on the gas and you are not wondering why this happens and what to do about it. Well, I will try to help you with this problem by breaking down the most common causes of such a nuisance, and similarly methods for their elimination.
At the beginning I will immediately write for users-beginners that probably chainsaws before the start of the day requires warming up the engine at idle for about one minute. When the engine is not warmed up, the saw may stall when you add gas.
What is needed, if a warmed up chainsaw works at idle, but stops when loaded, it means that:
- the carburetor is incorrectly set or otherwise clogged. the most common case;
- it lacks air, the consumption of which increases sharply when the speed increases. this means that the air filter is dirty (the case is rare, because filter pollution occurs gradually, so the user first notices the loss of power);
- it lacks fuel, the consumption of which also increases with increasing RPM. this means that the fuel filter is dirty (also an infrequent case);
- And the most unpleasant case, if there is excessive friction between the piston not the wall of the cylinder, due to the lack of oil in the fuel mixture. after such work chainsaw you are likely to fly into the repair of the piston group, as on the piston not the walls of the cylinder are formed scuffs, preventing the work of the saw.
Checking and repairing filters
The engine may falter or choke if there is not enough fuel or air. Reasons. clogged air or fuel filter. To check the fuel filter, remove the gas line hose from the carburetor nozzle and direct it into some container. Then press several times to prime the fuel. If the fuel is pumping normally, in distinct doses, without dirt, then the fuel filter is serviceable. If fuel flows poorly or fails to come out at all, then the filter should be replaced or if possible cleaned.
Sawdust clogging the fuel filter is one of the causes of chainsaw failure.
The unit should be removed from the fuel tank (first drain all fuel from the tank). On most models the fuel filter can be pulled out through the neck with a wire hook. If the filter is collapsible and can be cleaned, you need to disassemble and wash it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Otherwise, change for a new filter.
Similar problems can occur if the air filter is clogged with dust, sawdust, dirt. If there is not enough air the fuel mixture will be enriched, the fuel combustion process will be hindered.
The filter should be removed for checking. When working, you need to take precautions to prevent dust from getting into the carburetor. Clean and rinse the air filter with warm water and detergent. After drying, if possible, blow out with compressed air at low pressure, reinstall. If the chainsaw works properly, the cause is eliminated, if not. you need to look further.
If the tool is used continuously, it is recommended that the fuel and air system filters be replaced after 3 months.
Glonet on the “single.
Sometimes the saw stops when idling, and a frequent cause of failure. muffler obstruction. It can be easily cleaned by yourself, it does not require a high technician.
In addition to cleaning, there is another option, but we are very careful with it so as not to damage the internal parts of the device.
To adjust the carburetor, you need to find two bolts with the letters L and H. The last one needs to be turned a little, just half a turn. It is responsible for the revolutions and, if necessary, raises the idle speed.
In the video we discuss a fairly common problem with chain saws and 100% method of carburetor adjustment. How to do this.
I pressed the throttle. My Partner 370 chain saw starts to stall at the slightest pressure on the handle.
Why does the chain saw start and quit?
Your chain saw starts and shuts off right away, maybe it’s the carburetor that’s causing the problem. Malfunction of the fuel pump or a malfunction of the main fuel nozzle, can cause such a behavior of the saw. The inability of the chainsaw to work after starting, requires a complete diagnosis in the service center.
All the above-mentioned variants of incorrect engine operation have similar causes, which, depending on their state of neglect, may have different manifestations. For example, with a little air inlet in the crankcase, the engine will not change much, the engine power will drop a little, its maximum rpm will increase a little and it will be able to heat up a little more. In the middle stages of air suction, the engine will stop idling and get very hot when running. Too much air intake will make it impossible for the saw to operate and it will start and stop right away.
Parallel to the visible manifestations of failure, for example, the inoperability of the chainsaw after start-up, processes will occur inside the engine at the moment of its incorrect operation, which will irreversibly lead to the most severe consequences, for example, the melting of the piston, jamming of the crankshaft.
What to do
Power tool is operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Only after checking the chain tensioning does the machine start. Checking that the fuel and oil tanks are filled at the same time and that the machine is securely in hand. If the machine fails to operate when all the rules are followed, the STIHL chain saw is repaired.
How to start your STIHL chain saw: Instruction manual
The machine manufacturer has taken all measures and has laid down a guide that makes it easy to start The user will keep himself safe from injury if he follows the suggested intervals:
- Switch on the ignition and turn the crank handle to the down position. The air inlet from the air filter is shut off by the carburettor flap. To start the chainsaw correctly the throttle plate must be open so that the mixture becomes richer.
- Position the lever in the throttle position. Pull the starter motor several times until the first spark is felt. If there is a flash, the tool is ready to start. Closed throttle damper allows high RPM operation. Pull and release the throttle trigger suddenly to bring it back to idle. RPM is quickly returned to normal.
- No accessories are fitted as standard on the STIHL MC model so you can start the chain saw in a lighter version.
Idle speed adjustment
Maintenance is carried out on the machine before commencing adjustment. In order for the idle speed adjustment to be effective, preventive maintenance is done:
To adjust the idle speed, use the appropriate adjusting screw. Its turning depends on the desired setting:
- In the standard tuning procedure, turn the screw against the clock hand until it feels stiff. Then turn it two rounds in the direction of the arrow.
- If the saw works at low revolutions, the screw is turned clockwise until the chain starts to move. Then half a lap is made in the opposite direction of the direction of rotation.
- At high frequency, the regulator is turned against the hand of the clock until the circuit stops. Then the direction of rotation is continued for another half turn in the same direction.
No idle adjustment is possible if there is air leaking into the engine through the gasket, acceleration pump, seals, or other reason.
Gasoline engines are equipped with an ignition system which ignites the fuel. The timing of the flash affects engine performance. In mass production in the factory, no adjustment of the chainsaw ignition is made. Marks are aligned on the respective rotating elements. Incorrect adjustment leads to the engine starting and stalling.
Check spark plugs for dryness and proper functioning of the ignition circuit before adjusting. The voltage cable to the plug is brought to the cylinder with a small gap and start the starter. If there is no flash, test the cable with a probe. Then check that the cable to the release button is in good condition.
If the cables are undamaged, then check the ignition coil. This is done with a special tester to test the device. In this case, the readings on the device should coincide with the specifications of the coil, which are prescribed in the instructions for use. If discrepancies are found, the ignition unit is replaced with a workable device.
The crankcase can be damaged by vibration from dropping or bumping the tool, so work with care.
Crankshaft bearing replacement
First measure the compression, if there is no compression, then the cause lies in the failure of the piston group.
The required pressure in the cylinder should be 8 atm, if it is lower, it is possible that the cylinder and piston, rings, crankshaft bearings are worn.
To find out the condition of the piston system, you need to completely disassemble the saw and remove all the main components of the mechanism:
- remove the headset, remove the busbar cover
- Remove the guide rail and the tool chain with the wrench provided;
- Remove the air filter, remove the spark plug;
- put a piston stopper in place of the spark plug to secure the crankshaft;
- the clutch is removed, then the clutch system is accessed.
Rings with bearings are inspected, defects are detected. You can do the replacement yourself, which requires repair skills, or take the tool to a specialized repair shop. Reassembly is done in reverse order.
Why does the chainsaw stall when the throttle is depressed??
Hi! If you ended up on this webpage, chances are your chainsaw is stopping when you accelerate, and you want to find out why this is happening and what to do about it. What’s all the same, I’ll try to give you any help in this dilemma, deconstructing the more common preconditions for such a failure, and similarly ways to eliminate them.
At the beginning of the day before starting work, some chain saws ask to warm up the engine at idle for about a minute. As long as the engine is not warmed up, the saw may stall when you add gas.
What do you need, if the warmed up chainsaw works at idle, but stops on load, it means that:
- the carburetor is incorrectly set or clogged. the most common case;
- it lacks air, the consumption of which increases sharply with the increase of speed. this means that the air filter is dirty (the case is rare, because filter pollution occurs uniformly, so the user at first notices the loss of power);
- It does not have enough fuel, whose consumption also increases with increasing speed. this means that the fuel filter is dirty (also infrequent case);
- and the nastiest case, if between the piston and the wall of the cylinder there is excessive friction associated with a lack of oil in the fuel consistency. after such work chainsaw you are likely to fly into the repair of the piston group, because the piston and the walls of the cylinder are formed bumpy, preventing the work of the saw.
Cleaning the Fuel Filter
If the fuel supply is insufficient, the chainsaw stops on the gas. The cause may be a clogged fuel filter and carburetor malfunction. How to check if the filter is faulty? To do this, partially disassemble the tool body so that you have access to the carburetor. Disconnect the fuel hose from it and push the fuel pump several times. On modern saws this is a transparent rubber half-sphere, which is pressed before starting the engine.
If gasoline intensely begins to splash out of the hose, it means that the filter is fine. If the fuel is reluctant to flow, you need to change or clean the filter.
It is located inside the gas tank, and to get it out, you must remove the plastic protection, then a flat screwdriver under the rubber cuff, through which the fuel line passes. It should be taken out carefully so as not to damage the rubber. Otherwise it will leak after installation. In some chainsaws, the filter is reached through the throat of the fuel tank.
There’s a fuel filter at the end of the fuel line in the tank. It is usually clogged with tar deposits in gasoline and oil. The filter is pressed into the hose and can be removed by pulling it out. It should be washed in hot water with cleaning agents or replaced with a new one.
Checking the main systems of the chainsaw
We check each system one by one:
- Fuel tank. Maybe there is not enough fuel or it is of poor quality.
- The next thing to check is the spark plug and the high-voltage wire. Note that the spark plug gap is normally less than half a millimeter.
- If the above items are checked and work properly, move on to the carburetor and the fuel filter. Carburetor failure should be checked by an expert.
The saw stalls after releasing the throttle
Here you need to adjust the carburetor and check for a strong air suction.
The most common chain saw breaks we have already discerned. You just have to hope your chain saw does not break down. But even rugged models like STIHL and Partner can sometimes malfunction.
Do not rush to the service center, first use my advice, so you can avoid large expenses.
If you found this article interesting. share it with your friends through social networks. And I say goodbye to you. Good luck and see you on the blog!
The Saw’s root causes are
Although the chainsaw is not a complicated machine, it does occasionally malfunction and can only be repaired by disassembly. The following malfunctions can be cited as examples:
- The chainsaw won’t pick up;
- the chainsaw stops functioning in the cut;
- The chain saw fails to start and then stops;
- The chainsaw loses its power;
- Your chain saw stops working when you press the button.
Most often malfunctions are related to engine malfunctions, as well as malfunctions of other systems and assemblies. Proper handling of this technique is important. If all the rules of use are followed, problems are likely to lie in the most obvious. To pinpoint the cause of trouble, start with the simplest part and finish with the most complex one.