Tool for bending metal with their own hands
Equipment used for rolling, is not only versatile, but also simple in design, so it is easy to make their own hands. Of course, homemade machines for rolling are optimal for home use, and to equip the production shop, where the load on such equipment is quite large, it is best to purchase serial models of rollers, presented in today’s market in great variety.
Both commercially available and homemade models of machines with which the rolling, work on the principle of the overrolling of the sheet material around the main roller located above. The side rolls also take part in this process and can be repositioned to adjust the diameter of the shells being formed.
The rolls of this machine rotate manually and the upper roller is approached by means of two cranks
Important characteristics of the rollers are the radius of their working elements. rolls, as well as the greatest thickness and width of the workpiece. The radius of the rollers, in particular, has an effect on the minimum bend radius of the workpiece. The larger the rolls in diameter, the greater the value of the minimum bending radius of the sheet metal workpiece. The minimum bending radius is also influenced by the thickness of the sheet itself. As a rule, for rollers, the minimum bending radius of the sheet metal should be 5-10 times its thickness.
Given the high stresses placed on the rollers, only high-strength steel is used for their construction, which significantly improves their performance. A distinction is made between two-, three-, and four-roller machines according to the number of workpieces. The last two types are the most popular.
The main differences between 3-roller and 4-roller machines are
Sheet bending rolls 3 rolls, the working elements of which can be arranged symmetrically and asymmetrically, although they are reasonably priced, have disadvantages such as:
- Low rolling speed (not more than 5 m/min);
- difficulty in processing workpieces with a thickness less than 6 mm, which can simply slip between the rolls;
- Lack of precise coordinates at the clamping point of the workpiece.
All such disadvantages are eliminated by the rollers, which have a fourth additional roller. Through reliable clamping a sheet metal workpiece in the processing does not slip between the rolls. This provides a high speed of rolling. 6 m/min or more.
The machine with 4 rolls is capable of producing, in addition to cylindrical, oval and polycentric workpieces
Rollers of this type are usually equipped with automated control systems, which have a positive effect not only on their productivity, but also on the accuracy of the machining performed. The big and perhaps the only disadvantage of such a device is its high cost.
Such work is usually done with hand shears. In the right places are placed marks, which will be used for manual metal bending. The plate is firmly fixed in a vice. The first fold is produced with a heavy hammer. The product is moved to a new place of the bend, clamped with a bar of wood, bent in the right direction.
Upon completion, it is necessary to make sure that the product meets the established standards. Checking is done with the help of an angle grinder and if necessary, the deficiencies are corrected.
Preparing to work
Simple in the manufacture of a manual plate bender can be quite powerful, designed to work with different thicknesses of metal sheets. Before proceeding to the manufacture of such a model, you need to prepare all the necessary materials, as well as a welder, a drill with a set of drills on metal and angle grinder.
- three standard angles, having a shelf width of 45 mm or more with a metal thickness of 3 mm or more;
- Taurus 70 mm. for bending the thickest and longest sheet metal;
- Two standard metal door hinges;
- A pair of screws with a diameter of 10-20 mm;
- “thumbscrews” for the screws;
- Metal 0,5 cm thick for making jambs.
The workplace must be as flat as possible, solid and sound, free from dust and all contaminants. In extreme cases, it is allowed to build the structure on the ground.
The step-by-step manufacturing process
There are several basic schemes and drawings of a homemade plate bender, but the most convenient in the performance and practical in use is a plate bender based on T-bars.
This option of making a bending machine with their own hands is easy to perform, but allows you to work only with a fairly thin sheet metal.
- Two T-bars neatly and evenly folded, then on the two ends of notches are cut out at an angle of 45 ° oblique angle for the hinges. The third T-bar must be cut in a similar way.
In the third beam notch depth is slightly greater, which is necessary for the free movement of the pressure plate
All welds should be made before the final assembly, so as not to change the geometry of the structure
Welding seams securely fasten the elements of the machine to each other
Welding is performed after centering and positioning strictly on one vertical line
A similar attachment is made on the other side, which allows you to unscrew the clamping plate
This design of the finished device allows you to make a fairly high quality flanging
On the bend of a fixed angle on two sides small thrust plates are welded to position the clamping strip with a welded screw nut
The edge that faces the place of the bend should be sheared off, which will allow you to get the sharpest possible angle of the bend
At the final stage the handles are mounted for convenient use
Finished plate bender. not a bad homemade version for domestic use, which will easily bend galvanized steel and tinplate.
Where to start the production of the bender
To make a machine for bending sheet metal, you will need a drawing of this device or its detailed photos. In addition, it is necessary to consider a number of such significant factors as the force to be applied to the design, its weight and size (which will depend on mobility), the initial cost and availability of devices. The initial parameters as a result should be as follows:
HOMEMADE new tool idea FOR METAL BENDING
- The maximum width of a sheet to be bent. 2 m.
- The maximum thickness of sheet material: galvanized. 0,8 mm, aluminum. 0,8 mm, copper. 2 mm.
- Amount of working courses to be performed without readjustment or repair. 1300.
- The largest angle of bending metal profile, which can be purchased without manual finishing. 130 degrees.
- It is highly undesirable to use billets of specific steels (for example, stainless steel).
- Welded assemblies, which do not tolerate alternating loads, should be avoided in the sheet bender system.
- It is necessary to reduce as much as possible the number of elements of the machine to be ordered on the side, resorting to the help of revolvers or milling machines.
- It is very difficult to find a drawing of the device, which would meet all requirements, but you can finish the most successful pattern.
Where to start the production of the bending machine
To make a machine for bending sheet metal, you need a drawing of this device or its detailed photos. In addition, it is necessary to consider a number of such significant factors as the effort that will need to apply the design, its mass and size (which will depend on the mobility), the initial cost and availability of devices. The bottom line should be the following initial parameters:
- The maximum width of the sheet to be bent is 2 m.
- The maximum thickness of the sheet material: galvanized. 0,8 mm, aluminum. 0,8 mm, copper. 2 mm.
- The amount of working courses that will be performed without changeover or repair. 1300.
- The maximum angle of bending metal profile, you can buy without manual finishing. 130 degrees.
- Use of workpieces made of special steels (e.g. stainless steel) is highly undesirable.
- It is necessary to avoid welded assemblies in the plate bending system as they cannot bear alternating loads.
- Следует максимально снизить количество элементов станка, которые нужно заказать на стороне, прибегая к помощи револьверщиков либо фрезеровщиков.
- It is very difficult to find the drawing of the device which would satisfy all the requests, but it is possible to finish the most successful template.